Votes: 81 10.2%
  • The Eternals was awful 🤬

Votes: 57 7.2%
  • The Eternals was fantastic 💦

Votes: 26 3.3%

• Total voters

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
So we all agree daylight savings is bullshit right?

Either scrap it entirely or after summer solstice turn the clocks back one hour every month until winter solstice before turning the clocks forward by an hour each month. For me the latter is the only way daylight savings truly works.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The EU tried it, but all of its members can't aggree on what time to keep. Until that's resolved it'll stay that way...

WJD

Nov 4, 2017
jonah_ryan_for_congress_h_2016.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Just scrap it. I can live with it being dark earlier in the summer. This alternative method seems completely bonkers, I want to change my time less, not more.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
How about we only stay awake during night and eliminate the active daylight hours. Fuck the sun that shit sucks.

I'm only half kidding

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I mean yes, but only if winter time stays. They stupidly did a poll in Europe and most people voted to keep summer time, because it just sounds nicer, but would fuck up the circadian clock for the majority of the continent. So we can't have nice things and will stay with daylight savings.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I mean yes, but only if winter time stays. They stupidly did a poll in Europe and most people voted to keep summer time, because it just sounds nicer, but would fuck up the circadian clock for the majority of the continent. So we can't have nice things and will stay with daylight savings.

Sorry, I'm Team "keep summer time". Love late summer night where it's still late. It being bright at 4 in the morning is useless in comparison.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's just some bullshit the Germans made up during WWI to conserve fuel. Get rid of it.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
It's just some bullshit the Germans made up during WWI to conserve fuel. Get rid of it.
Speaking of Germany, sunrise in Berlin on summer solstice is currently 0443, with summer / daylight savings time.

I'm not sure I see the argument for that being 0343, to be quite honest (and conversely, sunset being at 2033 instead of 2133, as it is now).

I'll gladly continue to have one day that's slightly annoying per year (because let's face it, going from summer time to winter time isn't annoying at all, it's great) when that means nice, long evenings with lots of sunlight in the summer and no stupid sunrise times no one needs.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
It's a pain in the ass relic that needs to go. How the hell is it "fun"? The actual length of sunlight hours doesn't change at all, we're not getting more or less of anything. It's an irritant.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Sorry, I'm Team "keep summer time". Love late summer night where it's still late. It being bright at 4 in the morning is useless in comparison.
There's enough sun in the summer. Imagine keeping summer time and it not becoming dawn until 10am in December.

Speaking of Germany, sunrise in Berlin on summer solstice is currently 0443, with summer / daylight savings time.

I'm not sure I see the argument for that being 0343, to be quite honest (and conversely, sunset being at 2033 instead of 2133, as it is now).

I'll gladly continue to have one day that's slightly annoying per year (because let's face it, going from summer time to winter time isn't annoying at all, it's great) when that means nice, long evenings with lots of sunlight in the summer and no stupid sunrise times no one needs.
Wait until you have kids. Going from summer time to winter time means you have to get up a virtual hour early and going from winter time to summer time means you have to get up a real hour early. Jetlag in both occasions.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
There's enough sun in the summer. Imagine keeping summer time and it not becoming dawn until 10am in December.
Yep, that would be pretty bad. Which is why it's great that we can have both long evenings in summer as well as reasonably early sunrise in winter with the current system.

Wait until you have kids. Going from summer time to winter time means you have to get up a virtual hour early and going from winter time to summer time means you have to get up a real hour early. Jetlag in both occasions.
Well, then I've got great news for myself, things are never gonna change!

Oct 30, 2017
japan doesn't have it, which is good, except most of the country is completely in the wrong time zone altogether. it should be moved forward an hour or two once, permanently, so it doesn't get dark at 4pm in winter and 6pm in summer

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I hate the bad one but I like the good one that gives me more sleep. Just get rid of the bad one.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I didn't realize so many countries used daylight savings time. Lived in the US and Asia but thought that was just a dumb US thing

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
If you were a real doctor, you'd know the desynchronization of our body clocks twice a year comes with increased health risks.
What "desynchronization"? No, I'm sorry, but I really don't see it.

There's a bigger difference for when I wake up and go to bed between weekdays and weekends than the switch between winter and summer time. Every week.

And I really hope you never travel far away if you think an hour difference twice a year is that bad for you.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Changing the clocks to make different use of daylight dates back like 2000 years. Romans would divide daylight into 12 equal segments, rather than the whole day in equal segments. So the 3rd hour in winter was both later and shorter than it was in the summer. We got it easy I think lol.

Modern DST was proposed in both Newzealand (1895), adopted in Ontario in 1908 and the UK proposed (by potentially a distant relation of mine and also the great great grandfather of Chris Martin) in 1907. By the time it was enacted in 1916 the Germans had already done it.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
I don't understand people that don't like summer time, like, I genuienly don't. Who wants sunrise at like 4 o clock in the morning? Are you going for a barbecue before work? Isn't it much nicer to have the sun go down past 8 o'clock in the evening, so you can, you know, do stuff outside in summer? Going for a nice evening with friends at the lake? Sitting in a cafe with the sun still out after work?

I really don't get it, unless you never leave the house outside of work. In that case, yeah, I guess the mild inconvenience of resetting clocks twice a year is worse.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand people that don't like summer time, like, I genuienly don't. Who wants sunrise at like 4 o clock in the morning? Are you going for a barbecue before work? Isn't it much nicer to have the sun go down past 8 o'clock in the evening, so you can, you know, do stuff outside in summer? Going for a nice evening with friends at the lake? Sitting in a cafe with the sun still out after work?

I really don't get it, unless you never leave the house outside of work. In that case, yeah, I guess the mild inconvenience of resetting clocks twice a year is worse.

It's only an inconvenience once a year which is why these dumb crybaby threads only pop up in the spring.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. And even that one is getting less and less of an issue. I think I have exactly one clock that doesn't automatically switch.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Sure, it's annoying and let's just get rid of our antiquated time zones while we're at it too and have a global, universal time.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, scrap it. CA voted to get it dropped on whether it would go full daylight or standard time, but the senate for some reason never voted on it. Its annoying to do the shift forward and back every year. Accidents increased right after the change too.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I guess since the EU can only ever deal with one thing at once, abolishing it is off the table until Corona is over...

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017

This.

I mean, 'regular time' makes sense in winter for me as it's still a little light around the time I get to work (8.30), while sun is already down after work anyway, whether it's 16.30 or 17.30.

No summer time would be insane to me: sunrise at 4 o'clock? Seriously?? I mean, sure, there may be places in the world where it makes less sense, but over here, it's perfect the way it is now.

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
As someone living in the more northern parts of Sweden, I'm torn.

For me it depends on which time is kept. In my hometown during summers, I have like three hours of night, and in the winter, I have like four hours of daylight. I guess it would be fine if we kept the time we have for the winter, but the summers can be a pain in the ass when it's never dark the hours you want to sleep.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I guess since the EU can only ever deal with one thing at once, abolishing it is off the table until Corona is over...
I have given up on the hope to ever get rid of it. The EU members won't be able to find a consensus which time zone to pick going forward and at some point everyone will forget about the plans to abolish it.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, scrap it. CA voted to get it dropped on whether it would go full daylight or standard time, but the senate for some reason never voted on it. Its annoying to do the shift forward and back every year. Accidents increased right after the change too.
Accidents may increase right after the change, but I know that at least over here, more people would be in favor of keeping summer time all year long. If they'd do that, the time people will go to work in the morning in winters will be much darker than it is now on average. I'd guess that high traffic when it's dark results in more accidents on average than high traffic when it's light. That's an assumption though, not sure if there are numbers to support that.

My point: I doubt that total accidents when using daylight saving (or: not using summer time all year long in our case) is higher, I'd say it's lower actually.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Accidents may increase right after the change, but I know that at least over here, more people would be in favor of keeping summer time all year long. If they'd do that, the time people will go to work in the morning in winters will be much darker than it is now on average. I'd guess that high traffic when it's dark results in more accidents on average than high traffic when it's light. That's an assumption though, not sure if there are numbers to support that.

My point: I doubt that total accidents when using daylight saving (or: not using summer time all year long in our case) is higher, I'd say it's lower actually.
A 6% spike after the shift.
www.healthline.com

The Number of Fatal Car Accidents Spikes After Daylight Saving Time

The annual time switch increases sleep deprivation, resulting in jet lag-like symptoms that leave people feeling drowsy behind the wheel of a car for several days after we “spring forward.”

I'm more for standard time here and its more than a mere inconvenience even if its automatic with all our smart devices.

GUArutha

Apr 25, 2018
I would be happy to have one time the whole year long. If that would happen it should be a compromise between winter (standard) and summer (daylight saving) time. The timezones are artificially created anyway.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I love it, it means I get a good bit of day light after work. I fucking hate it when everything is dark by 6pm.