• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
While Destiny 2 has gone through its fair share of ups and downs over the years with content, it's a well made AAA scifi shooter and is well supported by Bungie and has a great community of players here on Era and beyond. Most importantly, the game is in a great spot right now with lots of activities and things to do and new loot to crab. Strikes, story content, exotic quests, public events and my favorite, raids! With that launch of New Light Destiny 2 is now f2p, with New Light players start with the entire Y1 and Y2 package of DLC and content. All. For. FREE! (I could be salty here since I've bought every DLC/season pass, but I've gotten my money's worth and then some, lol)

6G4OCej.png

(shamelessly ripped from the OT, OP.)

F2P content includes:
Destiny 2
Curse of Osiris (DLC 1)
Warmind (DLC 2)
Select Forsaken Content* ("DLC" 3 activities)
Select Annual Pass Content** ("DLC" 4 activities)

With that being said, how many of you are jumping in for the first time on PC/Xbox/PS4? If you have not given it a shot yet, what is stopping you?

As always if you have any questions/comments/feedback, or you need help, below is the link to the best Community on Era by a long shot. The Destiny 2 community has been a fixture here since the inception here on ResetEra and waaaaaay before. There may be shark attacks from time to time (yes, insider reference) and some will defend the house at all costs, but these guardians love the game and are always willing to answers questions and help everyone out; especially newcomers to the game/community.

Shadowkeep OT:

Lost after the intro mission and want to get caught up on the early story missions:

It's pretty straightforward honestly, even if it looks overwhelming at first.

Download New Light.
Play the first mission.
Get to the tower and go to the Hanger and see Amanda Holiday.
Grab the legacy story missions and complete those.

From there, you should know if you want to pay to play more.

If you do, grab Forsaken and play the campaign for that first. The Year 2 pass for Forsaken is now free, so you will have TONNES of content that is still relevant.

From there you will know if the new expac is for you, and New Light comes with the first mission to get you going.

Thanks astro !

Last edited:

Ekimo

Nov 21, 2017
I played a fair share of it on PC when I was using Windows. Now I'm waiting for them to support Steam Proton.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I wanted to ask this in the OT but I'm afraid that people will shout me down for being stupid or whatever but I am -very- confused.

Here's what I want to do:

Play Destiny 2 from 'start' to 'finish'. If I get this F2P version, how do I go about doing this?

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I wanted to ask this in the OT but I'm afraid that people will shout me down for being stupid or whatever but I am -very- confused.

Here's what I want to do:

Play Destiny 2 from 'start' to 'finish'. If I get this F2P version, how do I go about doing this?

Amanda Holliday will have quests that direct you through the story from start to finish iirc.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Haven't played since D2 first came out. Is picking up Forsaken worth it, now that all the annual pass content is free for Forsaken owners? Or should I just get Shadowkeep?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I started it but I don't understand anything. It tells me to do a strike dungeon or whatever but the ghosts kept talking some stuff that made no sense to me

what even is the story?

Capricorn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed playing Destiny 2 back when they gave it away for free on Battle.Net, I bought Forsaken plus the Annual Pass and played all the way up until the end of the Season of the Forge.

However, this game was just way too addicting at a time when I was very vulnerable due to breaking up with my long term girlfriend. It truly became like a second job due to the weekly grind to get all the possible powerful rewards, unique raid rewards, etc. By the end of my time with the game I started to realize I didn't even enjoy it that much anymore outside of some raid encounters, and then I finally was able to break free after pursuing the Wayfarer title for soooooo long, getting it and not feeling any satisfaction whatsoever.

I've got to say that I'm intrigued by Shadowkeep, and some of my colleagues in the office have been playing the game during lunch breaks... But I think I've just written off forever these kind of games, I don't want to get in that hole again.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Is t true this game is grindy?
Well yeah, its the epitome of grind.

You want a title? Grind.
You want all armor sets? Grind.
You want the optimal stat for the armor? Grind.
You want the god rolls for your weapon? Grind.
You want a particular weapon? Grind.
You want to materials to upgrade your weapon/armor? Grind.
You want to hit max light level? Grind.
You want a certain cosmetic? Grind.
Grind grind grind

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, its the epitome of grind.

You want a title? Grind.
You want all armor sets? Grind.
You want the optimal stat for the armor? Grind.
You want the god rolls for your weapon? Grind.
You want a particular weapon? Grind.
You want to materials to upgrade your weapon/armor? Grind.
You want to hit max light level? Grind.
You want a certain cosmetic? Grind.
Grind grind grind

I mean it's the same as any other loot based game. You can have a blast going through the stories, raids, strikes, and playing some PvP all without grinding. There is a ton of content for those that want a one-time pass through and it's free.

I'm a very casual Destiny player at this point and used to be someone that ran 3 Hunters in Destiny 1 completing all raids every week to get more opportunities at drops. You don't have to play that way if you don't want to.

Getting every powerful engram available each week is NOT a requirement to enjoy the game.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I mean idk it used to run more uh smoother ? Now even on Earth you can see the frame drops and nothing fixes it. Shame.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm waiting until they are able to put an easy way for the player to select what mission or strike want to play, from all the possible ones and not just a small selection done by Bungie, and being able to select the difficulty I like in them. Easy, Normal, Hard, Very hard...
Basic stuff, really.

Last edited:

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Incremental enhancements to the experience, open world and gameplay, rather than just more content drops.

- Let us descened into the city in a open world fashion and interact with it

- Third person toggle.

- New abilities, new elements for Supers (instead of more arc, void and fire)

- Let us go beyond the city Wall whenever we want and into the Wilds, etc

I will be mesmerized the day Bungie gets out of their comfort zones and goes for the big changes in Destiny instead of always going into the usual "safe" schedule of content drop (more maps, more armor, more weapons).

Last edited:

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i played D2 vanilla and dropped it shortly after. I am tempted to go back but honestly i'm confused on how to purchase it now. I would want to experience everything after like those two smaller DLCs and then Forsaken and then Shadowkeep but don't really know how to purchase the game to get all that. Tbh i haven't done that much research but on a surface level, it's kinda confusing.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Don't take it personally OP, but I see you online all the time playing D2. These type of games are highly addictive. I already played too much during D1 era. I know me, if I start playing it wouldn't be good for my health and family life.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
They removed it from Battle.net. It took me long enough to download it in sections because it was over 80gigs while I have a 300gig monthly cap. I decided to not transfer and cut my losses. I don't care much for FPS games anyway, so it's fine. If my ISP give a note that due to reasons they aren't counting bandwidth usage for the rest of the month like they did in December 2016 I'll download it.

If it was third person like Warframe I'd be more interested. I'm not a PVP player anymore.

This is art.

Last edited:

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
I switched to Warframe for my daily grinding needs. Might check out D2 in a few months ... but no need to jump back in yet.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I don't have the time to play games like this anymore.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I remember PvP being soooooo bad at launch with the team shooting nonsense meta. All that has changed since then yeah?

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Don't take it personally OP, but I see you online all the time playing D2. These type of games are highly addictive. I already played too much during D1 era. I know me, if I start playing it wouldn't be good for my health and family life.

lol. Like all things in life; enjoy in moderation.

I usually play D2 alongside a jrpg, so I can take breaks once in awhile and completely zone out. On the last dungeon of Star Ocean 4 right now and ready to dig into FFVIIIR next.

I gave up my life for Destiny 1, don't want to get into that kind of habit for Destiny 2 again.

look up.....

shox

Oct 25, 2017
Played it for a few hours last night. It screams average to me.

Doesn't help that the content is so muddled now. It should point new players to the story content so we actually understand what the hell is going on, instead of hiding it behind some NPC we haven't been introduced to before.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I only downloaded it because I don't really have any laid back PVP games right now. New crucible feels good though

OP
OP
Cornbread78

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
how do I know? A ghost told me to wake up and then I got sent into The City

There are indicators on the quests tab as well as a map indicator that tell you the next place to go.

Does it have matchmaking now?
Depends on the activity you are trying to do; 90% of the game can be done solo outside of NF and/or raids. Even then you can use the companion app's Fireteam page to easily find parties or create your own party for the activity you needs teammates for.

Original content and missions that aren't recycled from D1.
OH you.gif

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I played through D2 vanilla on disc then deleted it. I'll probably reinstall it so I have another PVP option when I need a break from whatever main game I'm playing. I just find the entire Destiny experience so frustrating. Needlessly convoluted and fractured, yet such great gunplay.