• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
(Note: Technically, I guess some of this could be considered "spoilers")

For the past few weeks, I've been trying to articulate just what it is about Super Mario Odyssey that's rubbing me the wrong way. Yes, I think that the overwhelming number and ease of collecting most moons dramatically lessens the feeling of reward when you get one Yes, I have numerous issues with the controls, ranging from Nintendo's baffling decision to double up functionality between buttons while at the same time locking certain actions behind motion controls, to the way certain common actions, like dropping from a ledge, can map to different buttons depending on the situation. However, what I've come to realize is my main problem with the game is just how much content is repeated across kingdoms.

In nearly every kingdom, you can expect to get a moon for each of the following scenarios:

- Catch the rabbit
- Catch the bird
- Catch the fish
- Race the Koopa (twice per kingdom)
- Wear the outfit (sometimes more than once per kingdom)
- Plant the seed (usually multiple per level)
- Play the song for toad
- Collect the moon shards (multiple scenarios per level)
- Collect the musical notes (multiple scenarios per level)
- Find Captain Toad
- Find the hat ghost
- Find the painting entrance
- Find Peach
- Find the thing with the binoculars
- Talk to the tourist
- Talk to the sphynx

And that's not to mention the amount of times the game recycles the same boss battles. I'm sure there are more examples that I'm forgetting.

When I'm constantly finding the same things in each kingdom, it really diminishes the sense of discovery that I was looking for from a sandbox Mario title. Quite frankly I'm a little surprised how AAA open worlds games can get crucified, by both the games press and people here on ResetEra, for having so much copy/pasted content, yet Mario is held up as not just the best game of the year for some, but the best reviewed game of all time on OpenCritic.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed but there are about 900 moons, even if you repeat each of what you listed over all the worlds, its less than 10% of the total moons.

It's a nice predictable way for people to get moons to clear to the next level. Hardcore players will find the really tough ones and those give me the greatest pleasure even though I don't plan on getting all 900. Going to stop at 500.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, everyone loves SM64 and it has plenty of repeated content too. Same with Galaxy (Comets?) so I don't really see the problem. There's still plenty original things to do in all of the games I mentioned, so eh.

If you ask me Sunshine is the worst offender of this.

Oct 25, 2017
The races are pretty different since they're on different levels.

They're all fun to do so I don't mind. Only bad challenges have been the volley ball and jump rope ones.

Even then, these are just an issue if you want to 100%. The final ending is at 500 stars so you're not really expected to

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
BOTW had 900 Korok seeds and I'm pretty sure there was like 100+ "Shoot the apple off the tree" ones, yet it was still one of the best games I've ever played.

Games don't have to be 100% different with every world or area, sometimes we need to do things to learn how to complete them better.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean the race the koopa moons are my favourite. Working out the fastest routes from point x to y is hella fun. Wish there was more challenges like them actually.

Just because there's not 900 unique challenges doesn't stop it from being a good game.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you'd have a point, but listing things like "Moon Shards" and "Musical Notes" you might as well be listing "grab Moons." It's like complaining that there's too much flag pole grabbing in SMB1.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I noticed. But are you just going to ignore the literal hundreds of other moons that aren't copy pasted?

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, but thats 16 moons

Some worlds have 80+, and its not like you need to get all of them. You can get to the 500 ending and never do any of these repeating ones

Last edited:

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
of course people noticed, it's just not actually a negative thing. plus you can do as little or as much of the moon collecting as you want.

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, a whole dozen or so repeated challenges out of 900?! Nintendo really cut some corners with this one!
This sounds like another "How come Nintendo gets a pass?" thread. Expecting every single challenge to be completely unique is somewhere between naive and absurd. It's not a big deal. Every game has them.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed and loved getting those easy moons in every kingdom. No complaints here.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am blown away by the variety of getting moons. I currently have 608 moons so I can definitely say they are not all copy and pasted.

Some seem quite unique such as looking at a goomba picture, memorising it and recreating it. That was so fun I hope it is copy and pasted into a different world.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
There's so much content and so much of it is completely optional (even if you want to get the final final level) that I really didn't mind some of the repeated content.

Also, stuff like the moon shard challenges and the musical note challenges vary wildly per level, I never really felt like they were rehashes at all. Every Mario 64 level had the 100 coin and 8 red coin stars yet no one seems bothered by those, it's the same thing.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Repeating of content" isn't inherently a bad thing and I wish that wasn't such a common sentiment among gamers. Most of those things listed, while the core objectives are the same, are different enough across the different kingdoms that they provide unique takes on the same concept. I could do without some of them, sure, like the rabbit-chasing (that goes for any Mario game, really), but with things like the Koopa races, the platforming challenges and shortcut approaches each one provides are completely different that reducing it to "oh, I'm just racing against Koopas again" is doing it a disservice.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of that repeated content is actually differentiated, though. Different note patterns, bird flight paths, race course layouts, paths to Captain Toad, etc. The same framework, but different realization.

Now, if you want to complain about repeated content in this game, look no further than all the butt-pound moons that are often within a few feet of the start. Those are pretty lame.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Zelda, Mario and Metroid always tend to do this differently. You must never played a Nintendo game.

Theres also a thousand other AAA games that already copy each either. Yall just now clicking with this?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of people have ignored a ton of flaws with Mario Odyssey, as myself and my 3 boys who are Mario fanatics were very disappointed in it. Super Mario Galaxy was so much better, and Breath of the Wild was how to do things right with a new turn in a game series. Honestly I had more fun playing Super Lucky's Tale, which was more like Mario of old in some ways in terms of the more classic platforming aspects.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you just described like every video game ever. Very few games don't repeat content over and over. A great game, like Super Mario Odyssey, is able to make this repeated content enjoyable for a long period of time.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Most of these are actually fairly "unique" content, as others have noted. Each Koopa race is unique and gives you an opportunity to really master particular elements of Mario's moveset to traverse a unique stretch of a level. You could say the entire game is repetitive because you have to do a bunch of jumps and stuff. Finding Captain Toad is another silly example: he always occupies interestingly hidden or difficult-to-get-to areas. He's a reward for exploration.

Some of these *are* a bit tedious...the dog one, wearing outfits, binoculars...but they're quite minimal and barely affect my enjoyment at all.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Have you ever played a Mario game? It's always the same things but in different very creative ways.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Plenty of people have ignored a ton of flaws with Mario Odyssey, as myself and my 3 boys who are Mario fanatics were very disappointed in it. Super Mario Galaxy was so much better, and Breath of the Wild was how to do things right with a new turn in a game series. Honestly I had more fun playing Super Lucky's Tale, which was more like Mario of old in some ways in terms of the more classic platforming aspects.
I wouldn't call most of the complaints faults. More like people being dissapointed that Odyessy isn't the type of Mario game they like.
Big reason Nintnedo themselves separates the sandbox and linear entries when describing them.

Deleted member 11976

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Consider that not all players will see each instance of a repeated pattern in every world unless they're completionists.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate how you sign off there. You have a point, a really loose one that is easily explained why people aren't too fussed by this, but a point nonetheless. Then you just blow it (for me at least) with the good ol' "why Nintendo get free passes????".

People have already explained it well enough above so that's that I guess.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
That's still a lot of different stuff. :)

And yet it still has more variety than most games, with the amount of baddies you can capture.

OP
OP
SunBroDave

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't stick out to me any more than the repeated objectives in a game like Skryim, something I'm playing right now and having a blast with.
I'm not sure I follow. In Skyrim they (try to, anyway) give unique narrative context to everything you do and quest you take. The specific actions your taking - go here and kill this thing - are never the reward in and of themselves. In Mario though, they are.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
It's certainly not a coincidence that BotW and Mario Odyssey have that same philosophy of crazy load of content with lots of small patterns repeating everywhere. I don't know if they'll stick with that, probably not. Cause people will grow tired of the formula.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
You can kind of breakdown every Mario game that way. While I enjoyed what I played I kind of wish there were more memorable boss fights. The Broodals didn't really do much for me.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed, I griped (especially in regards to the first post game are being full of them when I was expecting something more from said location) but in the end it's a relatively minor issue in the grand scheme of the game's content.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I follow. In Skyrim they (try to, anyway) give unique narrative context to everything you do and quest you take. The specific actions your taking - go here and kill this thing - are never the reward in and of itself. In Mario though, it is.

Sure, a game like Skyrim dresses up the same handful of activities with some narrative, but that doesn't actually change anything for me, personally.

Skyrim's "hook" with its repeated objectives is the story and world immersion.
Mario's "hook" with its repeated objectives the joy of sandbox play and movement.

They're both repeating the same content over and over. They're just dressing it up differently.

That's not to say this isn't an issue at all, but for most players, it's not going to be a dealbreaker.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
Why is The Last of Us just shooting things and walking to checkpoints over and over?
Why is Super Mario Bros. just grabbing poles over and over?

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Same thing with Zelda and open world tropes like towers that Ubisoft gets crucified for.

"Yeah, but it's Nintendo!"