• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I really hope they do

Piracy is never acceptable but this is way worse than piracy

You could at least argue with piracy you're not taking anyone's copy away, nor stopping the company from selling the product

With what the OP has done, he's taken someone elses copy. A copy they will buy and then try to return when they realise it doesn't work, wasting their time. They have then stopped Gamestop from being able to sell that copy, which makes them less likely to want to refund it

It also leaves the poor buyer unable to prove they didn't just redeem the code and then try and return the game for their money back

Piracy is never justifiable but what the OP has done is so much worse, even if the situation plays out with someones buying the game and getting a refund, he's still cost Gamestop and wasted peoples time

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me about when I started watching the Lost TV serie on DVD and when I was at season 4 I noticed that there was no discs inside the box... I literally payed $30 or whatever for a paper box.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Lol this thread about open robbing a store. Jesus christ.

I dont like game stop, but that means I dont shop there, I dont fucking steal from them and fuck over people.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I got tempted and tried it. It worked.... I took a picture of a game code that they left in an open retail box. How do they get away with selling opened games new again? Can you imagine buying a game with a code and it was already used?

I've seen codes in multiple different games, and once they even left the cartridge in the box on the shelf, but that was a game I already owned and just left it there. Still though, it could have happened.

I'm legit curious why you even made this thread, or at least made it in the way that you did. Of course it's stealing and that was going to be the focus of what people talked about lmao.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I expected this, I just home from my overnight shift. I admit it was scummy. I'll go buy it later after I get some sleep.

Wait you actually redeemed the code? Shit man I was hoping you would come back and clarify that you backed out after confirming it was a live code...

Make sure you let them know you want that display case not the unsealed copy they are likely to pull out of a drawer for you.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty serious digital fraud which you could also be liable towards two different corporations and you were on camera...

They could also track you through the code and the account you linked it to...

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Not gonna lie, I got tempted and tried it. It worked.... I took a picture of a game code that they left in an open retail box. How do they get away with selling opened games new again? Can you imagine buying a game with a code and it was already used?

I've seen codes in multiple different games, and once they even left the cartridge in the box on the shelf, but that was a game I already owned and just left it there. Still though, it could have happened.
Did you know at a grocery store they leave the grapes out in the open where just anyone could eat them, too? Crazy.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I think you guys are missing the point. GameStop removes the shrink wrap as an anti-piracy measure, but if they leave the code in the case, they aren't doing a very good job.

Personally I find them opening the games in advance to be insulting and stupid.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Lol @ people in this thread on their high horses scolding this guy for looking at the code in the box when they've all probably downloaded ROMs before which is just as illegal and stealing as well.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting OP - virtually admits that he previously would have stolen a game cartridge if he didn't already own the game.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Oof, op getting piled on for stealing from gamestop. The place that steals from people all the time. If someone buys the used code they can just take it back and get a new one. Not that I condone stealing so hopefully they follow through with what they said.

On a side note, lots of people don't even use the codes in the box when it's dlc. I bought a used copy of the MGS collection awhile back and was able to redeem the MGS code from the psn store.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
If Nintendo ever goes out of business, it's your fault OP.
doomeda5knf.png

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
What Nintendo games are sold as codes in a box? I know the new Wolfenstein does but what else?

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Lol @ people in this thread on their high horses scolding this guy for looking at the code in the box when they've all probably downloaded ROMs before which is just as illegal and stealing as well.

Not justifying downloading ROMs, but in this case, OP didn't just steal from GameStop/Nintendo, but also likely from a future customer. That's an extra shitty thing because now some kid or parent or adult will have to try and convince GameStop they didn't redeem the already-used code. Good luck to them.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I've tried to hold them off as long as I can, but the Nintendo Ninjas are here and they mean business. Get out now, run as f-

Ah crap, he got cut off on the end there. There's no way of knowing what he was trying to say. Better head on down to the Winchester and wait for this whole thing to blow over OP.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, op getting piled on for stealing from gamestop. The place that steals from people all the time. If someone buys the used code they can just take it back and get a new one. Not that I condone stealing so hopefully they follow through with what they said.

On a side note, lots of people don't even use the codes in the box when it's dlc. I bought a used copy of the MGS collection awhile back and was able to redeem the MGS code from the psn store.
Lame attempt to justify theft. If you think GameStop robs you dont shop there. Conversely don't walk into their house and rip them off.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Yeah, GS has been really sloppy about this in my experience. I've seen some GSs literally leave in the activation codes for their PC games in the boxes that go on the shelves. They kept the install discs behind the counter like normal, but left the code in the box, even though someone could just steal that code and throw it into Steam/Origin/Uplay. They literally could be selling someone a useless product. Luckily, the last time I bought a PC game at GS (~3 years ago, bought a copy of BF4 for like 4 bucks) they were smart enough (at this location at least) to keep the paper with the key on it behind the counter with the discs.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

This also isn't wrong. When we have threads of people hacking their Classic consoles and loading games on then I wager most of us dont own hundreds and hundreds of games.

But gleefully walking into a store and stealing is still a leap, even though yeah stealing is stealing

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's not really cool OP. I'm sure whoever bought that had to jump through a lot of hoops to explain how they didn't use said code, if they could even get another at all. Doesn't matter that Gamestop is being negligent.
I mean, it kind of does. Not that it absolves OP of any guilt or whatever, but GameStop's negligence is what enabled this whole situation to take place. That's some shit that GameStop oughta have figured out.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This thread isn't producing good discussion and is kind of a bad idea all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.