• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Short story:

Back in the day when I was a regular on The Sims Forums, I made a post containing the F word. I received a ban for the behavior which locked me out of all EA online games and accessing any of their game forums. On this account, I had all of my store DLC and what not attached to it. I was unable to use any of that purchased content due to the ban. Being that savvy 10 year old, I just made another account to get around it and registered all of my new stuff to the new account.

Now:

Recently I wanted to get back into The Sims, so logged back into the banned account. The account is still locked out from the purchased store content. I called EA customer support and explained the situation and let them know I realized it was stupid to do when I was younger, but it's been almost a decade and I just want to use that purchased content. I just wanted to merge my content with my new account, which he said was possible. The rep was completely understanding, but had to escalate me since it was a banned account. This new guy said that due to the nature of my ban, my account was unable to be un-banned, and I couldn't access that purchased content.

——————————————————————

I know it's their right to ban accounts on their forums, but to have banned my account entirely because of something said on one forum is crazy. Then to also lock me out of purchased content is insane. I guess I should read the Terma & Agreements more.

Update! So apparently it has been unlocked since 2016 when I had contested it back then. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't tried logging into the account since back when I called them and they said it couldn't be done. I'm able to log into the Sims 3 store and download that DLC too. I'll have a mod update the thread and lock it. Thanks to F8RGE for checking on my account!

Last edited:

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
The fact they can lock you out of your purchases is total BS and, in my mind, just blatent theft

Regardless of the EULA you sign

Can you not try get hold of their head of customer relations on Twitter or something?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
A ban is a ban, it's unfortunate but we must live with the consequences of our actions and not everything can be remedied with time.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Er, you can't say the f-word on the Sims forums, they autmatically change it to plumb, so how on earth did you get banned for it?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
You should at least have access to your games. Forum ban is fine, whatever, but not being able to play the games you have purchased is garbage.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
A ban is a ban, it's unfortunate but we must live with the consequences of our actions and not everything can be remedied with time.
This is crazy. They were a child. You really think that someone should get a lifetime ban for saying the F word over a decade ago? They absolutely should overturn it and let the OP use the things they paid for.

OP, do what another poster suggested and try using Twitter, it's unfortunately the best way to do things these days.

Nov 3, 2017
shouldn't have fucking said fuck then should ya!

Nah that's shitty though and they should at the very least allow you to port your purchases to a new account

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
There are two " no no" F words... did you use the one to imply sex or screwing or the one thats derogatory towards the lgbtq? i doubt the former would result in a harsh ban like the latter would

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City

Takeru

Oct 25, 2017
I believe your account on the forums should stay banned but holding your purchases hostage is really wild. At least they should offer you a refund.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely should have just been a forum ban imo (since that's where the "offense" was committed). But locking you out of your purchases is some scummy shit.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
This is crazy. They were a child. You really think that someone should get a lifetime ban for saying the F word over a decade ago? They absolutely should overturn it and let the OP use the things they paid for.

OP, do what another poster suggested and try using Twitter, it's unfortunately the best way to do things these days.

Yea, I understand consequences but it doesn't seem like the punishment fits the crime (so to speak) in this instance.

Hopefully EA does the right thing, but I'm not exactly hopeful.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

It's their platform and their rules. Besides, we don't even have the full story of the ban, only one side of it.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
bro, why were you saying f-bombs when you were 10-years old??

That means you're a bad person for life!

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's their platform and their rules. We don't even have the full story of the ban, only one side of it.
His story doesn't make any sense, like I said the Sims forum changes any swear word automatically to "plum" and also you would get warnings before the ban - also I've never heard of anyone who was banned from the forums also losing their purchases.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's kind of f'd up.

EDIT: Oh, you said that F word.

EDIT: Oh, you weren't using that F word.

That's kind of fucked up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
There are two " no no" F words... did you use the one to imply sex or screwing or the one thats derogatory towards the lgbtq? i doubt the former would result in a harsh ban like the latter would

It would be the first one. Second one wasn't, and isn't now, in my regular vocabulary.

Trying to find the post that got me banned right now. I'm cringing at the way I used to type haha

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
It's their platform and their rules. Besides, we don't even have the full story of the ban, only one side of it.
We're not in a position to rule on it, so why shut out discussion because we've got "only one side of it"? Would you disagree that the penalty is ill-fitting if OP's story is truthful?

Shutting OP out of the forums wouldn't be too far if they breached their TOS, nor would barring them from making further purchases, but revoking access to licenses already paid for is fucked up.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Why should his account stay banned for saying fuck?

Or if it's the one offensive to lgbt people, I agree it should stay banned.
No matter what the offense, people change, especially from being a child to being an adult. What's the point of fighting for change if we can't accept the people that go through it?
I don't know OP so I don't really have a dog in this race but I'd like to believe that whatever the OP said when they were 10, they probably don't feel the same way now.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Reminds me of when a friend of mine trolled me by reporting a PS3 chat we had where we we had random cuss words in it. Sony issues me a warning and told me next time my account would be banned.

Haven't used a cuss word in PS chat since, terrified of someone reporting me and me losing access to thousands of bucks worth of purchases.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This just reminded me of my banned Xbox account, happened maybe 8 years ago. Still banned until the year 9999. 75k GS and hundreds of arcade games gone.
Just because of a little... mistake I did in UNO, when I was young, wild and dumb, lol.

Time to move on dude!

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
We're not in a position to rule on it, so why shut out discussion because we've got "only one side of it"? Would you disagree that the penalty is ill-fitting if OP's story is truthful?

Shutting OP out of the forums wouldn't be too far if they breached their TOS, nor would barring them from making further purchases, but revoking access to licenses already paid for is fucked up.
OP tried to get it reversed. Their plea went through 2 levels and failed. Let them keep trying, that's their decision, but I've made my opinion known.

Takeru

Oct 25, 2017

Assuming it's that F word, yeah. But still, I guess I misworded it. It's their rules, as silly as the ban is, so it's whatever.

But I do not think that purchases should be held hostage. Forums and Origin should be two different things. EA gon EA tho.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Cmon man you can't hold someone accountable for their 10 year old self. I remember in middle school for me everyone pretty much used both F words as insults. Then you get to 9th grade and realize what a little shit you are and how that word affects people and you stop using it. 10 year olds grow up. So you forgive and forget. Now adults on the other hand....

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
THE fact that a forum infraction locks you out of your purchased games is absurd. Just ban from the forum, don't completely destroy his account, ea. Goddamn.

Status
Not open for further replies.