• To celebrate the release of Halo: The Master Chief Collection on Steam, Xbox Games Studios has provided 5 Steam copies of the game and 5 Xbox One copies of the game! We will be giving these away in the Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Some Steam copies will also be given away to the PC Gaming Era community.
  • An old favorite feature returns: Q&ERA is back! This time we'll be collecting questions for Remedy Entertainment, makers of Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break, and Control. Members can submit questions for the next 3 days, 17 hours, 47 minutes, 59 seconds. Submissions will close on Dec 12, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

So, Era, I'm making a fighting game.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, yeah, I suppose I do need to take care of this now since from what I understand games have to be designed around GGPO. Where should I reach out to get that conversation going?
You could start here

nded

Nov 14, 2017
That's a nice clean character design. Might lend itself very well to a flat textured, low-poly look. Kinda somewhere between Slap Happy Rhythm Busters and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom.

OP
OP
Kalmakov

Kalmakov

Sep 10, 2019
That's a nice clean character design. Might lend itself very well to a flat textured, low-poly look. Kinda somewhere between Slap Happy Rhythm Busters and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom.
That's actually kinda what I want to go for. I initially thought about doing sprites but low poly cel shading would be more efficient. I'm thinking of making it look something akin to Lethal League Blaze.

Asbsand

Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I've always liked fighting games without really playing a lot of them, until recently. I got into KOF a few weeks ago and I've worked my way up to the latest games XIII and XIV which I'm tryna get good at.

All I can really say is, I believe in you. Playing these games a lot I even started getting the appeal of coming up with ideas for fighting games like what kinds of mechanics it should have and how to create an Arcade Mode similar to KOF and come up with fun character ideas.

Just draw from your favorite inspiration both in mechanics and character ideas. Try starting with just a handful of characters that range between fast, medium and slow or something. If you get far you might even want to find artists to help with sprite work or something.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Kalmakov

Kalmakov

Sep 10, 2019
I've always liked fighting games without really playing a lot of them, until recently. I got into KOF a few weeks ago and I've worked my way up to the latest games XIII and XIV which I'm tryna get good at.

All I can really say is, I believe in you. Playing these games a lot I even started getting the appeal of coming up with ideas for fighting games like what kinds of mechanics it should have and how to create an Arcade Mode similar to KOF and come up with fun character ideas.

Just draw from your favorite inspiration both in mechanics and character ideas. Try starting with just a handful of characters that range between fast, medium and slow or something. If you get far you might even want to find artists to help with sprite work or something.

Good luck!
Thanks a ton! And I do plan to reach out to others to help develop the game, but I want to get some footing first.

OP
OP
Kalmakov

Kalmakov

Sep 10, 2019
Hoping to see more soon, seems that at least visually (would still need to see it animated though) you have that aspect covered.
Characters are a really important aspect of fighting/hero games so you made a good step on that front.
Thank you! And yes, I will share more character designs as they're being developed as well as some small gameplay details.