• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games have been a big part of my life for the last decade or so, for better or worse. I've attended locals just about every other week for the last three years or so, made some of my best friends there, and I've played a ton of games. During all of this time, I've always brainstormed several ideas of what I would do if I were to make a fighting game. Well, starting yesterday, I've started to put some of those ideas to paper and learning how to implement them. I started learning unreal engine 4 and I've been watching a ton of tutorials on how to use it and how to properly code. I'm more than aware that this is a massive undertaking, fighting games are super hard to develop after all, but it's something I want to do.

I'm making a thread on this because I feel like putting it out there that I am working on a fighter will help keep me focused and committed, as I will now have to meet an expectation I have set for myself.

I don't want to divulge too much on the game as anything is subject to change, but I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone may have. As I develop the game, I'll share updates on this thread.
You sure you didn't make this post to get the satisfaction of feeling like you're doing something? This post seems like the easiest thing you could do to make you feel like you're doing the thing, but is not even close to actually doing the thing.

Sky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
UK
OP, I suggest you check out indiedb, its a site where you can find volunteers to help you. Theres also Polycount for indepth tutorials and also find art people willing to collaborate with you.

I've started many personal projects and most of them have failed. Best of luck. My advice is to plan ahead and set your ambitions low and grow it as it develops. have a prototype/vertical slice of the game showing the mechanics and system. Ignore the Art for now.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope you're ready for people to call the product you've been working on for years trash and the worst shit ever when/if you show it to the community.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Start very small, like Footsies small (the game, not the concept.) I tried making a fighting game when I was 18, with a small team, and it really is hard as hell. Not even accounting for balance and any issues that may come up, it's a lot of sweaty days that you won't get back, so you want to make sure you can finish your plate. After having worked in the industry for a time, I have experienced development struggles, and I wasn't even in the dev team itself.

Good luck, for real; next time, try to have something made before posting about it, it'll be better for your mind to get feedback on something you have rather than have many people tell you to stop now or expect something you might not be able to feasibly do.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I've started many personal projects and most of them have failed. Best of luck. My advice is to plan ahead and set your ambitions low and grow it as it develops. have a prototype/vertical slice of the game showing the mechanics and system. Ignore the Art for now.
This is mainly what I wanna work on. Art is interchangeable. I wanna figure out what sort of mechanics and playstyles I want for the game and work from there

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Hope you're ready for people to call the product you've been working on for years trash and the worst shit ever when/if you show it to the community.
Yeah, well, I'm fine with that. Honestly, if the GG community can say that Strive looks terrible unironically, then I know that there is no pleasing some people. I just want to make something I can be proud of.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I guess my only advice would be to see it as a learning exercise. Meaning, don't be too hard on yourself if you don't get where you want to be right away. Allow yourself the opportunity to make mistakes, to take a breather once in a while so you don't burn out, and to make the most out of the journey itself regardless of the destination. (In this case also meaning...please don't hurt yourself, your property, or ask for yourself to be banned because you think you need to punish yourself for something inconsequential.)

Enjoy yourself.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Have you played Rising Thunder?

It was not a bad game yet it failed horribly. I would suggest reading on the experiences of the team that developed it so you can try and avoid as many pitfalls as possible.

This is an insanely hard project you've just started. Cute concept art though!

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good luck OP!

Always had dreams myself that I'd make a Machine Learning AI that analyses your tendencies and learn to punish you for it.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Have you played Rising Thunder?

It was not a bad game yet it failed horribly. I would suggest reading on the experiences of the team that developed it so you can try and avoid as many pitfalls as possible.

This is an insanely hard project you've just started. Cute concept art though!
Rising Thunder didn't fail though. It was only an alpha build and the company was quickly bought by Riot

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Add a mechanic where you trade your life bar for more time on the clock

Seriously, good luck OP. I don't know anything about game development, but I have a PhD in following your dreams. Make the game please.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Good luck OP, Im glad that you are making something that you enjoy

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Rising Thunder didn't fail though. It was only an alpha build and the company was quickly bought by Riot

True, true, but RT was up and I played it, then it was abandoned. It's been 4 years now. I feel like it falls under the definition of failure.

I'm glad Tony Cannon is working on a new fighting game though. Riot has enough money to make it real pretty. Hope we get it soon!

Jan 4, 2018
I don't know if you're planning on using Blueprint or not, but if you are, some advice for starting out:

-Rather than using "Cast to" to communicate between BPs, learn what Blueprint Interfaces are (I wish I did when I started).
-Try not to rely on "Tick". There's almost always a better way to do it (events, functions, timers, interfaces, etc).
-Know what should be in the Character BP versus the Player Controller BP versus the Game Mode BP (and generally don't use the Level BP)
-Don't worry about doing any of the things I just said right away. I've been using UE4 for 3-4 years doing a bunch of small one-person projects and learning from my mistakes has been a huge part of it (in a good way). Try things yourself first and then look up tutorials later. It sucks spending so much time working on something only to realize you have to rewrite it all, but I personally think it's best for long term growth.

Ging

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Take small steps, and share along the way.

I recommend you see how the dev Wolfire used to share their progress constantly.

Technika

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2018
C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker!!

That said, I love it when there is a comment after a certain style of combo was made, or broken.
So these little 'x factors' that are catchy, and compliment the action help the immersion. This also helps the audience, then non active people to remain engaged, as its quite satisfying to hear once someone has pulled something difficult off, followed up with these types of audio cues.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you're planning on using Blueprint or not, but if you are, some advice for starting out:

-Rather than using "Cast to" to communicate between BPs, learn what Blueprint Interfaces are (I wish I did when I started).
-Try not to rely on "Tick". There's almost always a better way to do it (events, functions, timers, interfaces, etc).
-Know what should be in the Character BP versus the Player Controller BP versus the Game Mode BP (and generally don't use the Level BP)
-Don't worry about doing any of the things I just said right away. I've been using UE4 for 3-4 years doing a bunch of small one-person projects and learning from my mistakes has been a huge part of it (in a good way). Try things yourself first and then look up tutorials later. It sucks spending so much time working on something only to realize you have to rewrite it all, but I personally think it's best for long term growth.
All good advice! I think Blueprints almost get overlooked by people that haven't used much Unreal, both in terms of how approachable and how powerful they are, but I love 'em and wound up using them far more than expected.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Make sure your game mechanics are sound, that's the most important thing anyway. Your game can look cool and gorgeous but if it plays like Justice League Taskforce then ehhhhhh.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Think about aesthetics too. Beyond being a great game, the hip hop aesthetic really helped give Third Strike a unique style.

Some people say substance over style. I say...

Why not both?

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
So, I've got nothing to show off gameplay wise yet. Mostly gray placeholder models that barely animate, nothing that could really demonstrate what the game is about. I've been working on the project still. Slowly, but surely.

As of right now, here's a glimpse at the first finalized character design for the game; Yaminah Yoshida!
BUeCE1T.jpg

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Also, I wanted to ask, should I post updates like the above to the original post?

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019

Also, sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.