• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
What tangible steps are you currently taking to learn the programming needed for this game?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
That's a nice clean character design. Might lend itself very well to a flat textured, low-poly look. Kinda somewhere between Slap Happy Rhythm Busters and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
That's a nice clean character design. Might lend itself very well to a flat textured, low-poly look. Kinda somewhere between Slap Happy Rhythm Busters and Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom.
That's actually kinda what I want to go for. I initially thought about doing sprites but low poly cel shading would be more efficient. I'm thinking of making it look something akin to Lethal League Blaze.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I've always liked fighting games without really playing a lot of them, until recently. I got into KOF a few weeks ago and I've worked my way up to the latest games XIII and XIV which I'm tryna get good at.

All I can really say is, I believe in you. Playing these games a lot I even started getting the appeal of coming up with ideas for fighting games like what kinds of mechanics it should have and how to create an Arcade Mode similar to KOF and come up with fun character ideas.

Just draw from your favorite inspiration both in mechanics and character ideas. Try starting with just a handful of characters that range between fast, medium and slow or something. If you get far you might even want to find artists to help with sprite work or something.

Good luck!

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I've always liked fighting games without really playing a lot of them, until recently. I got into KOF a few weeks ago and I've worked my way up to the latest games XIII and XIV which I'm tryna get good at.

All I can really say is, I believe in you. Playing these games a lot I even started getting the appeal of coming up with ideas for fighting games like what kinds of mechanics it should have and how to create an Arcade Mode similar to KOF and come up with fun character ideas.

Just draw from your favorite inspiration both in mechanics and character ideas. Try starting with just a handful of characters that range between fast, medium and slow or something. If you get far you might even want to find artists to help with sprite work or something.

Good luck!
Thanks a ton! And I do plan to reach out to others to help develop the game, but I want to get some footing first.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Hoping to see more soon, seems that at least visually (would still need to see it animated though) you have that aspect covered.
Characters are a really important aspect of fighting/hero games so you made a good step on that front.
Thank you! And yes, I will share more character designs as they're being developed as well as some small gameplay details.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
A quick late-night update to give you guys some ideas of what's going on with the game!

It hasn't been very long since the last update I did where I revealed Yaminah Yoshida, one of the finalized character designs for the game, so hopefully you'll forgive me for not having anything in-game that's ready to be presented. Currently, the build is still just gray character models hitting each other in a test arena. My goal is to have some in-game visuals ready to present somewhere around Valentine's Day next year!

What I wanted to go over in this update is to give you all an idea of the game's direction and visual themes and identity.

The game, which I have decided to tentatively title 'Panzer Punk,' has a visual style that mixes a high fantasy setting with a military/ war-time aesthetic. Elements that are common in high-fantasy settings (such as the use of magics, dragons, etc.) are present in the world, but with a coat of paint that reflects world war eras.

As far as gameplay details goes, of course not everything is final and anything is subject to change, but I can give you an impression of how I intend it to play. My intended goal with Panzer Punk is to create a fighting game similar to anime fighters or hyper fighters but take the elements that make them what they are and give them a sort of "twist." Air-Dashes, Aerial Ukemi, Bursts, and several other elements are present in the game but all have been implemented in a way that is somewhat atypical for fighting games. I don't want to go into too much detail and spoil some of the surprises.

That's all I have for now, but soon I intend to reveal another character for the game soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
OP, I suggest you check out indiedb, its a site where you can find volunteers to help you. Theres also Polycount for indepth tutorials and also find art people willing to collaborate with you.
I can't believe I actually missed this post before, but I will absolutely check this out, thanks!

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I missed the your character design when you first posted it OP - you've got a fun art style! I hope your game turns out well.

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I missed the your character design when you first posted it OP - you've got a fun art style! I hope your game turns out well.
I should make something clear, the Yaminah art was commissioned. Yaminah, however, was designed by me. The artist for the Yaminah commission goes by Jaya Ply, they're incredible, check them out!

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Is Yaminah part Arabic? It's seems like it from the name.

Either way, I like the design. You seem to be going about designing this game the right way.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
A quick late-night update to give you guys some ideas of what's going on with the game!

It hasn't been very long since the last update I did where I revealed Yaminah Yoshida, one of the finalized character designs for the game, so hopefully you'll forgive me for not having anything in-game that's ready to be presented. Currently, the build is still just gray character models hitting each other in a test arena. My goal is to have some in-game visuals ready to present somewhere around Valentine's Day next year!

What I wanted to go over in this update is to give you all an idea of the game's direction and visual themes and identity.

The game, which I have decided to tentatively title 'Panzer Punk,' has a visual style that mixes a high fantasy setting with a military/ war-time aesthetic. Elements that are common in high-fantasy settings (such as the use of magics, dragons, etc.) are present in the world, but with a coat of paint that reflects world war eras.

As far as gameplay details goes, of course not everything is final and anything is subject to change, but I can give you an impression of how I intend it to play. My intended goal with Panzer Punk is to create a fighting game similar to anime fighters or hyper fighters but take the elements that make them what they are and give them a sort of "twist." Air-Dashes, Aerial Ukemi, Bursts, and several other elements are present in the game but all have been implemented in a way that is somewhat atypical for fighting games. I don't want to go into too much detail and spoil some of the surprises.

That's all I have for now, but soon I intend to reveal another character for the game soon!

Don't fall into the nazi hole.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Love the design! And I'm glad we're still both on our respective first steps into game development when usually all of era goes "you'll never finish anything anyway" :D

If you wanna steal my main character as a secret fighter along the the way let me know :p

idle.gif

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Love the design! And I'm glad we're still both on our respective first steps into game development when usually all of era goes "you'll never finish anything anyway" :D
Thank you, I'm trying my best! Even if it doesn't pan out, I'll be happy with knowing I tried.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I wish you the best. Making a game is an incredible hard task, and rewarding too. Don't get overwhelmed and press yourself to show progress to the community. It's better if you only show progress or talk the game when you feel comfortable with it.

Thank you, I'm trying my best! Even if it doesn't pan out, I'll be happy with knowing I tried.
This is the best attitude that you can have.

I'm also trying to make a fighting game in my free time. Have fun making your game!

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
I wish you the best. Making a game is an incredible hard task, and rewarding too. Don't get overwhelmed and press yourself to show progress to the community. It's better if you only show progress or talk the game when you feel comfortable with it.

This is the best attitude that you can have.

I'm also trying to make a fighting game in my free time. Have fun making your game!
Thank you!

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
So, I've got nothing to show off gameplay wise yet. Mostly gray placeholder models that barely animate, nothing that could really demonstrate what the game is about. I've been working on the project still. Slowly, but surely.

As of right now, here's a glimpse at the first finalized character design for the game; Yaminah Yoshida!
Damn, good design! Do you have a Twitter or Insta where I can follow your art?

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Damn, good design! Do you have a Twitter or Insta where I can follow your art?
I didn't make the art for Yaminah in this particular instance. This was commissioned from an artist I really enjoy the works of goes by Jaya Ply! I did, however, design Yaminah!

OP
OP

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Is there a gatling system ala GG or some other kind of chain combos?
Something similar to the gatling system/magic series is planned, but in a way that might be different than how you expect. Again, don't wanna give away too much now!
Also, something similar to the versus series isn't far off!

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just catching up and I wanted to say Yaminah is a really cool design! I like her colors and the petal design on her scarf.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Congrats OP! I've been wanting to make a fighter myself for a long time. All I can do though is creative writing and music haha. I do have some mechanics I've never seen in a fighter before but I doubt I'll ever get to make it. I'm jealous lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.