• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Topics

• Yes.

Votes: 305 47.1%
  • No.

Votes: 342 52.9%

• Total voters

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Luke - Build The New Jedi Order then get destroy again by his nephew.
Han - Have a family but ruined by his son who the join dark side.
Leia - Restore The Republic the get destroy again by Empire 2.0

Where the Vong when we need them ?

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well it wasn't completely pointless but yea every major accomplishment pretty much got negated.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shit happens.

But the whole thing with the First Order being able to build that shit to destroy the New Republic no sweat still boggles my mind.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Eventually different bad people will do bad things, that doesn't mean you should give up trying.

That said, they probably shouldn't have had The Empire 2.0 be the villains for the new trilogy, but stormtrooper merch sells!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Peace never lasts. It won't last no matter what Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose, etc. do either. Does that mean everything they did was pointless?

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Just because you beat the big bad, doesn't mean they're gone for good.

Like the Nazis lost in WWII, and they're back.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Decades of peace isn't pointless. But nothing lasts.
t
giphy.gif

Last I checked, no, not in the least...
The president of the united states literally said there are fine people on both sides when asked to denounce white supremacy and nazism.....part of the backlash across several completely different mediums be it film, video games, comics, etc. is due to an active push against progressivism accomplished through the radicalization of young impressionable caucasian males as well as jaded older caucasian males.. Fascism isn't just spreading in the U.S. but Europe as well. So yea I'd say there's several issues.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think part of the problem is that none of the trio have had a lasting accomplishment like if the New Republic wasn't completely wiped out in one movie or if Luke had gotten the Jedi Order back from the brink. Instead almost all their endeavors ended in failure and most of it was offscreen or flashbacks too.

Leia- New Republic was a mess and ill-equipped to handle the First Order for bad plot reasons ending with them getting completely wiped out.
Han- Loses Millenium Falcon offscreen and relationship with Leia was turbulent at best.
Luke- Failed in creating a new Jedi Order and afterwards quit to become a hermit. Also might have failed in permanently getting rid of the Emperor which could have resulted in the First Order.
Luke, Leia, Han- Failed to raise Ben right, resulting in Han's death.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Republic destroyed, Jedi dead, dark side empire in control, Palpatine still meddling in some way.

Yeah, it appears so.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In a series quite literally called Star Wars there will never be a significant time period of complete and total peace. As it's inspired by real life.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's also worth pointing out that the time between Ep.6 and Ep.7 wasn't exactly peaceful with the Empire still resisting and the rise of the First Order. You could probably describe the era as closer to between WW1 and WW2 than from WW2 to modern times. At most there was 15 years of 'peace'.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
It's an arc, achieving peace in a universe full of war is temporary situation.

between return and force awakens there has been a lot of time. If the classic trio lived happily ever after it would a very hollow story.

You could could argue about whether new trilogy does the themes justice but I personally like it.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean
Should they have let satan wizard just blow up all the planets he wanted and abuse the entire galaxy indefinitely
or are decades of peace and freedom maybe worth it

I guess when world war 2 started everyone should have just thrown their hands up in there air and said "we just got through with this kinda bullshit, shit doesnt stick just let hitler have it"

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017

Jesus, take a fucking history class.

And they are pulpy science fiction movies. Otherwise we would have had one Star Wars movie.

It's so sad that people have nothing better to do than try to outsmart forms of media.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So "pointless" that they should have let the Emperor and Vade continue to rule with the second Death Star *eyerolls*

Every time I see the OP make a new Star Wars thread:
C1D604C2539D25AEF29DA8D19D9ECDF4B6D5A573

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
What is this but there was decades of peace talk? Star Wars isn't real and we don't see those intervening years into the movies anyway. The issue is that the new movies reverted back to the OT beats down to yet another Death Star.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
Guess the civil rights movement was pointless because racism still flourishes.

Or all the efforts of women over the years have been pointless because sexism is still prevalent.

Every victory ever is pointless because bad things still happen and bad people still exist.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
30 years of peace isn't nothing. And Luke was doomed to failure when he tried to restore the Jedi order instead of doing his own thing. The Jedi failed for a reason, their philosophy and organization was crap - they were basically a cult that wanted its members to reject family/love + meddled into everything and were warmongers instead of peacekeepers as shown by the prequel trilogy + clone wars. Now the OT Jedi seemed pretty cool to me, but Lucas ruined it with the prequel stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Everything around the First Order is stupid personally.
The galaxy is what held up a grand Empire with thousands of systems making it up.

Somehow fragments of troops, equipment, etc run out to essentially the Star Wars boonies and somehow within 30 years come back bigger and better than before.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I was gonna say that Luke and Vader ended the Sith once and for all... but the teaser for Episode IX might have changed things lol.

OP
OP
Yukari

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
30 years of peace isn't nothing. And Luke was doomed to failure when he tried to restore the Jedi order instead of doing his own thing. The Jedi failed for a reason, their philosophy and organization was crap - they were basically a cult that wanted its members to reject family/love + meddled into everything and were warmongers instead of peacekeepers as shown by the prequel trilogy + clone wars. Now the OT Jedi seemed pretty cool to me, but Lucas ruined it with the prequel stuff.

In TLJ. Luke's pretty much hate Old Jedi way he said bullshit a lot about them.

The Novelization more explain that Luke's Jedi order is going well until that night.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I mean, one of the sequel trilogy's weakest points is the failure to give any context to Nazi germany rising again 30 years later, but let's at least be clear that Han's marriage wasn't ruined by his son. Han settling down in a happy marriage was never going to happen.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It is when those decades see the people and their governments learn NOTHING from past mistakes and directly enable the rise of the next dictators.
I mean, the problem was that they learned too much of the wrong thing from past mistakes. They decentralized so a Palpatine could never happen again. They didn't overreact to planets that didn't want to play ball so a Palpatine never happened again. They did everything they could to keep history from repeating itself, which just made it easy for the First Order to catch them with their pants down since the previous Republic operated the way it did for a reason even if their methods were eventually exploited and used against them.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019

All of the above are pretty big story points in Rey's and Kylo's trilogy.

These characters had their movies. Time to move on.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Making the prequel trilogy the rebel alliance vs the empire 2.0 was a mistake. A stronger New Republic (that didn't get its capital and most of its fleet destroyed it 30 seconds) fighting a strong Imperal remnant or new threat would have been a better direction to go.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Honestly this is my main problem with the new trilogy. The first order is just dumb as is the new rebels. Seriously bad base to start with.

Should have done something like Kylo leading the charge against the bigger good guys and Rey thinking about joining him or something, I don't know. Resetting to the status quo just so TFA could follow the same story beats was unnecessary

Or at least gave us an actual reason for the first order. Maybe they will judging by the new trailer Answer that and I'll be satisfied

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
When you end an episode with peace/happily ever after, you don't start the next episode with everything is suffering and full of chaos.
You build that up.
Lol. The build up happened in the 30 years between the sequels. That's like saying WW2 was pointless because the Cold War/a bunch of proxy wars still happened. The trio didn't end war and defeat evil forever they just kept it at bay.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Man, it's like people play too many videogames.

An achievement or a victory isn't pointless, just because things change and it gets undone in the future. What kind of shortsighted thinking is this?

"Was the victory against the Nazis pointless now that Trump is the President?" - Come the hell on.

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
The Empire had the money of the old senate, but from where the f*ck the first order had the wealth to build a super mega death star? Also re-hiring old stormtroopers clones?