• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Right so basically for a while now a mate of mine has been going on and on about Football Manager to me and recently he's really been trying to convince me to get in to it. I'm very close to just pulling the trigger on it to shut him up. I've never touched a FM game in my life.

Is it actually a good game? Is it fun? I feel like I'd probably suck at it. Is it easy enough to get to grips with?

Also, I know a Switch version is coming soon I'd be down for getting it there instead of PC but is that going to be a gimped version and if so how gimped?

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the best. PC version is the way to play if you want the full experience. You will be terrible if you try to come up with your own tactics instead of using presets and it will take time to get used to how everything works since it's pretty indepth.

Oct 27, 2017
I dread to think of the amount of time I've invested into these games. My Steam list, which only really captures the games I've played since I became more casual with these games, are all at multiple hundreds of hours. The old Championship Manager games prior to Steam when I had vastly more time on my hands will have been at 1,000+, year in year out.

Its a series that has a documentary, is used as a professional tool, has caused divorces, created real world jobs..

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
It's very addictive and is easily the franchise I've sunk most hours into. Go for the PC version though, as that's the real deal.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The full fat PC Football Manager experience is amazing. Over multiple entries, I've easily put in a well over a thousand hours and there are many people with 10x that.

The switch version is based off FM Touch, which I have barely used myself, but represents a more streamlined game.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It's one of the absolute best gaming has to offer. There's nothing else quite like it. It's a dream simulator, a drama creator, a story all of your own.

oldmess

Oct 18, 2018
If i'm not mistaken, the NSW version is based on the mobile version not the PC one.

There are 3 versions of the game. In terms of price/features it goes like: FM › FM Touch › FM Mobile.

The full fat FM is available on PC and Mac.
FM Touch is available on tablets and Nintendo Switch. It's also available on PC and Mac.
And finally, the most streamlined version (FM Mobile) is available on iOS/Android smartphones.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
It is a very specific type of appeal. They have no music and are bornerline spreadsheets at times to me, but there is so much you can do if you want to get invested. I can see the appeal, but they are absolutely not for me.

There are demos on PC. Try one out if you can.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Haven't played in ages, but yeah I think it's still great (from what I've heard). I'm not even into football, but still invested hundreds of hours into the game.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I don't allow myself to get the games anymore because they just tend to suck up so much of my free time. I definitely recommend it if it's something that sounds interesting to you but be aware it ranks high in the "I'm only going to play one more turn I swear" rankings.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I bought one, I ended up uninstalling (after 200 - 300 hours) because otherwise I would not do anything else in my life. Aw(some)ful thing.
The weirdest part is that when you look at it from a side, it's like playing Excel...

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
Depends on what your niche is and what your general interests are.

IMO, you have to be both of these things to get a full experience:
1. At least a football enthusist with good base knowledge of football itself
2. A roleplay enthusiast (because it is immersive and endless only if you supplement the lack of presentation with imagination)

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played it but seeing as 90 percent of the game's owners have over 100+ hours, I think is probably pretty addictive

Oct 25, 2017
You will either give up quickly due to the spartan visual presentation and the insane levels of complexity or you will get sucked into it and it's going to take over your life.
There is no middle ground.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How much time (average) do you spend in the week?

Edit: I used to play hattrick.org, but they demand so much time

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
I think it's amazing, but you'll either love it or hate it. Download the demo and you'll know basically right away if it's for you or not.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has an interest in football, but not a deep love, it's insanely complex and you really get out what you put into it. That said, it wasn't for me.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It's easier to get into if you enjoy football (obviously) and have a favourite club that you can dig into. And you will suck at it at first. I'd definitely try a demo first, and you'll get a decent idea whether or not it's your kind of thing.

Hands down the best game for emergent storytelling. Get ready to love and hate teams, players and random members of staff (even in real life) for a variety of reasons.

Oct 25, 2017
I FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME

It basically taught me soccer formations and strategy and also I control an MLS team when I start out playing, so having to deal with a salary cap and DPs is the most fun shit ever. I won a Club World Cup with an MLS squad. I didn't have to save scum to do it, either. This might be my greatest gaming achievement ever, tbh.

I buy it every two years on even years, and they add more shit for you to tinker with each year until you can basically drill each individual player to do the stuff that you want them to do and also control the scouting, etc.

My goal when I get a computer that can process a bunch of leagues (which is the only reason that I'd ever spend more than $1000 USD on a desktop primarily for gaming) is to start out in some backwater Scottish league with an eighth-division team or whatever and then make them European champs inside of fifty years.

If none of what I've said makes this sound fun to you, then a) don't buy this game and b) I don't want to know you.

Maybe I'm putting 2020 in my personal top ten this year, fuck it, I love these games, who cares that they're yearly.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I would love a game similar to it for NFL. Ive spent probably tens of thousands of hours playing it though not much in recent years.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
So much positivity. I'll download a demo later tonight and see what I think. Does the game do a good job of teaching you?

Oct 25, 2017
So much positivity. I'll download a demo later tonight and see what I think. Does the game do a good job of teaching you?

It does. There's a lot to learn, but it allows you to adjust for your level of experience. Whenever the game gives you an option for learning more from your assistant managers or talking you through the process of how to set training or your tactics, just be sure to take it.

How easily you get comfortable with the game also depends on the league that you play in. If you start with a PL squad, that's simpler than starting with an MLS squad because MLS has weird rules about acquiring players and a stupid-dumb salary cap. The game basically meticulously researches how player acquisition works for each league, but MLS is sort of shady about how the accounting works in the league, so IMO start with a league that you understand (or basically any Euro league).

Also, if you get fired, that's not game over. You can get hired at another squad down a level. Some people start over after getting fired (and you might well do so in your first couple of games), but you can always just decide, fuck it, you'll manage a Vanarama National League squad to get your cred back until you get another shot at a better job.

We just say Scottish league.

Look, I'm an MLS fan, I don't judge league quality.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
It does. There's a lot to learn, but it allows you to adjust for your level of experience. Whenever the game gives you an option for learning more from your assistant managers or talking you through the process of how to set training or your tactics, just be sure to take it.

How easily you get comfortable with the game also depends on the league that you play in. If you start with a PL squad, that's simpler than starting with an MLS squad because MLS has weird rules about acquiring players and a stupid-dumb salary cap. The game basically meticulously researches how player acquisition works for each league, but MLS is sort of shady about how the accounting works in the league, so IMO start with a league that you understand (or basically any Euro league).

Also, if you get fired, that's not game over. You can get hired at another squad down a level. Some people start over after getting fired (and you might well do so in your first couple of games), but you can always just decide, fuck it, you'll manage a Vanarama National League squad to get your cred back until you get another shot at a better job.

Look, I'm an MLS fan, I don't judge league quality.
I'd go with Liverpool anyway. My mate is Man U irl but he tells me he really likes playing as teams from other leagues for some reason.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd go with Liverpool anyway. My mate is Man U irl but he tells me he really likes playing as teams from other leagues for some reason.

Yeah, playing as Liverpool is probably one of the softest entrances into the game that you can make.

I know people enjoy playing in MLS or the Australian A-League or Liga MX or other leagues that basically utilize playoffs and some leagues that have weird accounting stuff to consider in order to take on a new challenge. The novelty of having to learn new league quirks can be fun.

Oct 27, 2017
It's addictive. I don't play it as much these days due to family and work, but I used to play it for hours on end (once for 24 hours straight without even realizing).
The PC version is the way to go in my opinion.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Don't give up when your form inevitably slumps as teams sit deep against you, watch extended/comprehensive highlights in 2d and pay attention to how your tactics and instructions affect how your team plays, pay attention to scouting reports and lightly tweak your system accordingly, try to keep morale up as much as possible, you'll be fine.
I dread to think how many hours i sank into FM13 and FM15 over the years.

Oct 27, 2017
I would love a game similar to it for NFL. Ive spent probably tens of thousands of hours playing it though not much in recent years.

I cannot believe there isn't an equivalent for front office NFL management. As a fan of both sports I actually find the NFL's trading, drafts, storylines, roster moves etc more compelling, and we all know Madden does a piss poor job of capturing that.

I'm pretty sure someone asked Miles Jacobson about it on Twitter relatively recently and IIRC it came down to licensing.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
It's my desert island game, as no longer put the hours into as I used to, There as so many leagues and challenges you get set you set yourself it just a joy to play as long as you a football fan. I would be putting some serious hours in it if owned a Laptop or installed on mobile device especially when watching TV.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
It is addicting as fuck. Playing a save with your favorite team or a save where you have a goal of putting a small club as a FIFA World Club Cup Champion is a fucking amazing experience.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well I haven't played this years offering. Personally I find the series steadily declining the last 7 years or so.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm playing the demo. I'm so overwhelmed with choice. I'm sitting here on the tactics screen just playing with it. This is gonna take a while...

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I started FM19 a few weeks ago. Got 80 hours in it already, I can see how dangerously addictive it is! You do have to google and YT for some clarification on stuff.

I'm treating it as an RPG. I started my career unemployed with no qualifications. Every win is hard fought. I read the social 'twitter' feed regularly for some good laughs. I saw a meta comment from a disgruntled fan after a bad game which went something like: "That was so dull, I should have stayed at home playing FM!"

EDIT: I watch games on comprehensive view not just to keep an eye on tactics and performance but because its so tense lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe there isn't an equivalent for front office NFL management. As a fan of both sports I actually find the NFL's trading, drafts, storylines, roster moves etc more compelling, and we all know Madden does a piss poor job of capturing that.

I'm pretty sure someone asked Miles Jacobson about it on Twitter relatively recently and IIRC it came down to licensing.

There is. Front Office Football has been around for quite some time. Just be wary that while the engine is absolutely rock solid, there's not much in terms of presentation.

Also, FOF's developer is working under the OOTP umbrella. That same OOTP studio that was once partnered with the FM guys.

As for FM20, the tactics creator was an absolute difference maker for me. Played so many text sims but was never much the tactician. Having at least a framework to start made tweaking to my team MUCH easier.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Good lord this tactics section. This is seriously in depth.

I look at the team report, squad depth, and players themselves before making an educated guess on what preset tactic would suit the team. Then watch them play in comprehensive view and make adjustments if necessary. That's how I'm playing anyway. Others might pick a tactic and mould the team to fit it.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
It's brilliant. The switch and iOS version is fine. It's a good time waste for commutes or a plane but not a real version of the game. It's incredibly easy.

But honestly you're probably going to suck for a long time unless you just "get" tactics, that's not so bad because the game is fun and engaging even when sucking. Nothing like being one game away from the sack and getting a last minute goal to save your job.