• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The best part is when you implement your tactical preferences over time.

I started as the head coach of the Seattle Sounders, who run a 4-2-3-1 IRL, but over a few seasons, I morphed that into a 5-2-3 with attacking wingbacks. It was so fucking satisfying winning and continuing to win across the change. Things like that just feel really good when you pull them off.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Stay away if you don't want it to drain away all your free time, I haven't played the series in s few years but it does a great job with it feeling like you are managing a club.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
The best part is when you implement your tactical preferences over time.

I started as the head coach of the Seattle Sounders, who run a 4-2-3-1 IRL, but over a few seasons, I morphed that into a 5-2-3 with attacking wingbacks. It was so fucking satisfying winning and continuing to win across the change. Things like that just feel really good when you pull them off.
I was playing as Villa in FM 2016. Took the default formation but the 3 players I brought in weren't performing in it. Went 7 games without a win at the start of the season. Slightly changed tactics and picked up my first win, kept tweaking through Christmas and was clear of the relegation zone. Felt amazing.

Of course I managed to lose 8 of the last 10 matches and got sacked but that run of form where my tactics were working and the team was ticking was so great.

I took Brentford to second in the premier league and far into the Champions League that game too. When everything clicks there's absolutely nothing like it.

Sep 28, 2018
Do you want to feel like you are the manager of a football team?

If yes: Yes, this is as close as you'll ever get.

If no: Still yes.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
It's a great game. Tbh I only play touch because full FM is ful of press confrences and other boring stuff which is what a real manager has to go through but it's pretty boring.
Touch is more like FM from a decade ago which is when I started playing, I think FM 06 was my first one.
It's a lot easier to get into now, although probably still a bit of a learning curve but I think following football in real life will help a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing as Villa in FM 2016. Took the default formation but the 3 players I brought in weren't performing in it. Went 7 games without a win at the start of the season. Slightly changed tactics and picked up my first win, kept tweaking through Christmas and was clear of the relegation zone. Felt amazing.

Of course I managed to lose 8 of the last 10 matches and got sacked but that run of form where my tactics were working and the team was ticking was so great.

I took Brentford to second in the premier league and far into the Champions League that game too. When everything clicks there's absolutely nothing like it.

This is absolutely right. I also think there's value in the frantic attempts to stop a long slide and just get a win. It doesn't necessarily feel good, but it definitely feels real.

This game really makes the dips in form or the runs of great form feel just like it is IRL.

Also, I could just read a thread of individual FM stories. I can't sell this game enough, I guess.

louris

Oct 27, 2017
In my experience you either love it or you don't understand it at all. I started playing before there was even a 2D match engine (only written commentary), and I still dabble once in a while in the most current version. Definitely try the demo before buying. If you want to play more after the 6 months and want to see the end of the season, chances are you're already hooked. Make sure you don't have any important life obligations though..

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game. Tbh I only play touch because full FM is ful of press confrences and other boring stuff which is what a real manager has to go through but it's pretty boring.
Touch is more like FM from a decade ago which is when I started playing, I think FM 06 was my first one.
It's a lot easier to get into now, although probably still a bit of a learning curve but I think following football in real life will help a bit.
Tbf, in the full game you can pretty much dictate anything you don't want to do to your assistant/other member of staff.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
This is absolutely right. I also think there's value in the frantic attempts to stop a long slide and just get a win. It doesn't necessarily feel good, but it definitely feels real.

This game really makes the dips in form or the runs of great form feel just like it is IRL.

Also, I could just read a thread of individual FM stories. I can't sell this game enough, I guess.
Agreed. Like I've won the league, the champions league, all that. I think the Euros is the only major trophy in Europe I haven't won in the game. But if people ask me about it, I always talk about my Villa game even though it was only one season and I failed miserably in the end. Or my Fulham game where I lost in the championship playoff final two years in a row because I made stupid tactical changes.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
How far off is this year's mobile version from PC version ? Seem to have my chromebook with me more often that PC these days

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Gonna play some more tomorrow. At what point exactly does the demo stop? Highly likely I'll get the full game at the moment but I'm just wondering.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Well I played 1 match so far. Beat Liverpool under 23's 4-1 and had 2 goals disallowed. Presentation during matches is kinda comical. But nevertheless I was finding it quite exciting seeing it play out. I like it.

I am so getting exposed as soon as I play anyone decent. But I'll repot back to confirm that tomorrow!

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I hear it's not very good. (RPS link since the original review is long since gone)

6D03Zo4.png

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Been wanting to jump into the deep end with this series at some point. Would be interested in impressions of the Stadia version and how well it handles more leagues.

I would love a game similar to it for NFL. Ive spent probably tens of thousands of hours playing it though not much in recent years.
My dream game is a college football equivalent of Football Manager. I fear for my health if that ever came to be.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Cant stop playing this game. A lot of it is still rewlly confusing to me though. Like I've just got a lot of stuff just kind of automatically done for me. Like all the training I haven't touched. Still haven't signed any played yet and I reslly should. This is highlighting our lack of squad depth to me...

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
For the pre season games its basically you cant play Salah Mane or Firmino. My reaction to that before my first game after spending so long sorting out my tactics was like fuuuuuuuck. But hey the goals have been coming from elsewhere so far. But I really cant wait until I can actually play my full strength squad.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Recommend the 'Touch' version as an entry. I play it on PC and it's terrific. CBA with a lot of the extra stuff in the fuller version, but I was weaned on CM3, FM01/02, and FM06.

Nurturing some regen kids into a world class team is so good. Stephane Perreira, you are a god.

superpretend

Oct 26, 2017
I've banned myself from playing FM, it's too addictive. Have amazingly vivid memories of the last iteration i played, I think when they first implemented the 3D engine (I always preferred 2d view). The satisfaction of your regens becoming world class players is unbeatable.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Taking Forest Green Rovers all the way to back to back Champions League and Premier league winners was one of my lifes biggest accomplishments. I'd put it on my CV if i could.

I've banned myself from playing FM, it's too addictive. Have amazingly vivid memories of the last iteration i played, I think when they first implemented the 3D engine (I always preferred 2d view). The satisfaction of your regens becoming world class players is unbeatable.

This.

I recall selling my my 19 year old Worldclass GK to Barcelona after i denied their initial offer, only for them to match his buy out clause of Ā£92 million.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I assume you have to like Football - hence I have never looked at it. Not a fan of spreadsheets either. But if there is a Demo I guess I could see. I mean I watch the World Cup - well I watch the first few games and then lose interest.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The full experience is great, but I feel that you jhave to marry that game to enjoy it

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Right so all my attempts to sign the top world class players will be rejected. Alright fine guess I'll be more realistic with my transfer targets...

GamingRobioto

May 18, 2018
Exeter, UK
I've played this game series in excess of 10000 hours over the past 20 years and buy it every year (my most played with FM2012 where I have around 1,400 hours logged on Steam). I already have over 100 hours in Football Manager 2020. There are two requirements to liking the game:

- Do you like football (soccer)?
- So you like micromanagement and statistics?

If the answer is yes to both of these, then you will likely love it. It's an amazing game series, with incredible depth.

With that being said, FM2020 currently has a myriad of fairly big issues with it's match engine and desperately needs that first patch, but that will come and you will likely not really notice the issues if you are new to the series.

Last edited:

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Right so all my attempts to sign the top world class players will be rejected. Alright fine guess I'll be more realistic with my transfer targets...

World Class players are very rarely worth it due to wage demands,initial price and board/fan expectations, (they also get really pissy if you bench them for poor performance). Get used to the scouting system and look for some unknowns. Developing players is far more fun than buying pre-made stars.

JulesLove

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every match is like spinning a slot machine where you can slightly skew the odds in your favor through transfers/substitutions/tactical adjustments. Who doesn't love free gambling mechanics in a sports themed skin.

I've been playing it for over 10 years and I love it.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Folks keeps saying "addictive" but I want to point out that it's addictive in a healthy way and not in the F2P/mobile way.

I'm a huge text based sim fan and if you like football/soccer then this is the game to get. It's really enjoyable. (If you like baseball, try OOTP. It's a little less of a people-hunting sim and more of a stat simulator, but is also highly addictive.)

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
WTF is this shit.

This game is too annoyingly realistic. Shitty refs.

I drew 3-3 in the end, so fuck you Hemel Hempstead!

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah I retired in my last save because I knew there were better ways I could be spending my time. Still sometimes load it up to watch old matches though.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
My team's best performance yet! 8-0! Really proud of the lads for that one. 46 shots 19 on target versus no shots for the opposition. Well played lads drinks are on me.

Standout performance from the Ox.

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
something a bit strange happened in my game, Salford have been promoted to the Championship completely under AI management and have moved into Man City's youth academy stadium

76b706545a92e37bd4de0b85b1f75493.png

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Right so before you're set to play a specific team is there a way you can view the opposition like see what kind of setup they usually have etc?

Moksha

Jan 29, 2019
I haven't played FM since the 3d match engine was introduced. Can you still play in the 2d engine if you want?
Regardless, this thread makes me want to get back into it.
Especially as I'd like to see if I could get Man U back to where they belong!

louris

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of time does that take? Becuse my match is in 4 days will that be enough time to get that?

This is gonna be my first real test as manager I wanna do well here.

Good luck! I look forward to your completing your first season.
Btw, on transfers, a lot of players (myself included) think it is more fun to hunt for hidden talents, and then raise them up and train them to world-class footballers, rather than just signing super expensive stars from the get-go. It's kind of like playing Pokemon, but with talented 16 year old footballers. Give it a whirl.

Dec 7, 2018
It's a good game and basically the only manager simulation in the market, but long time fans know that the match engine (aka, how your tactical instructions get applied in the match) and transfer AI are pretty unrealistic when you analyze them, and have been left untouched for years while the annual updates have focused on trivial stuff.

I would recommend to buy it once every 2 years, no more than that.