• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bakalhau

Dec 29, 2017
Lisbon (Amadora), Portugal
One of the greatest gaming franchises. Everyone ought give it a try, even though it's hard to get into if you're not into football.

It's also one of the greatest, most detailed worlds ever to exist in gaming, with ridiculous attention to detail really and a living dynamic world. Also one of the most varied games, with several meta games within itself.

It's a management game of course, but in reality it's 4 or 5 genres all into one. It's hard not to write a wall of text about it.

It's one of the most fantastic RPG games for example, with everything from character development (your own and other players), Mass Effect like player responses to the press/board/players, which affect a myriad of areas of your club.

It's a tactical/"strategy" game as well, on matches themselves. Everything from player positioning, to play style, psychological approach to the game during play and in player talks.

And it's one the most amazing story driven games because of the way all systems come together. Your story is your own, and unique to you, and no one else you get to know who plays this game will have had a story that's even remotely similar to you.

And ultimately that is what sticks with you in this franchise. I could write up dozens of entire movie plots of despair, drama, perseverance, glory, heartache, brilliance, all different on each playthrough, and my co workers would have dozens of those stories completely different from mine.

It is so detailed, so lived in, so realistic, that when you finally open your heart to it, you'll be crying when you lose, and you'll skid across the floor screaming in happiness when you get a last minute winner with that team of warriors that, despite being nothing more than virtual, fell like as if they belonged to your family.

This doesn't even begin to describe just how incredible the stories you create in this game are.

I'm out, it's very hard to describe this game in words.

MassiveNights

Oct 25, 2017
qWc4trH.png

JMeG69w.png

(every year minimum)

I hope that answers your question

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I used to buy it every year but haven't played it since 2015. It used to annoy me a lot when my players didn't do what I wanted, and I remember there being a lot of bullshit with having like 20+ shots on target and no goals. Also I remember there being certain tactics which just didn't work so you sometimes couldn't get your team to play the way you want and still be successful. I quit because it just got too much for me but the last couple of years I've been so tempted to pick it back up again.

What are the main improvements they've made in the last few years? I see the 3d match engine still looks pretty bad.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Haven't played FM for a good while now but kind of tempted to jump back in as it could be nice for my commute. I thought I read that FM2020 was coming to Switch but it's been out on other platforms for a couple of weeks so I'm guessing it's delayed or maybe just not coming at all?

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
My winning goal against City being an absolute screamer made it even better. Once I went ahead for the second time I just changed my tactics to defend and see the game out. My god the tension as the clock was ticking down. When it got to 94 minutes and the game then decided key highlight time I feared the worst.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have 300 hours on Football Manager 2011 (+ almost 100 in FM2012 and FM2013) and I'm not even a football fan... I just got hooked into the managerial/simulation stuff.

I haven't played FM in a very long time though, I was "wasting" too much time on them and the game felt repetitive after going through 3 of them.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
I have over 10k hours logged since the 2012 version (skipped 2018 though). A lot of that time is me just leaving it on for days at a time.

It's pretty good.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to spending the rest of your days thinking about your tactics, transfer targets and squad gaps OP.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can this be the OT?

I caved and bought 2020 last week to start my first Journeyman career.

Got my first job in the lowest level of Sweden at Linköping, got sacked and somehow got a better job at Lidingo.

Hopefully in something like 10 years I'll be in a first division somewhere in Europe.

You'll clock 200h in no time OP!

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing. But I had to force myself to stop and didn't play anymore since FM2012. Its extremely addictive and actually ruined my social life.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still on the demo as well. I feel like at this point I should just get the full game and start fresh before I get too invested in this save. Or do demo saves transfer to the full game?

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I'm so sorry for the life you're never getting back OP

But hey at least you're going to know a lot of new city names and maybe one future prospect or two ahead of everyone else!

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot believe there isn't an equivalent for front office NFL management. As a fan of both sports I actually find the NFL's trading, drafts, storylines, roster moves etc more compelling, and we all know Madden does a piss poor job of capturing that.

I'm pretty sure someone asked Miles Jacobson about it on Twitter relatively recently and IIRC it came down to licensing.

There's also Pro Football 2020 by Wolverine Studios, which is on Steam. There's also a demo version on their website. Never played that, but did play Total Pro Basketball years ago (back when it was published by .400 software studios alongside TEW) and really enjoyed it.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I haven't played FM since the 3d match engine was introduced. Can you still play in the 2d engine if you want?
Regardless, this thread makes me want to get back into it.
Especially as I'd like to see if I could get Man U back to where they belong!

Yes you can set matches to 2d.
Think it's called classic or something.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing football manager (champ manager before the name change) for 20 years and usually average hundreds of hours per year.

Amazing game.

AIP

Oct 29, 2017
My first "FM" game I ever played was CM 97/98 edition, good times. Best addiction I've ever had in my life.

Hope you enjoy it OP, it's an amazing game that keeps on giving.

YoungGunsII

Banned
Apr 23, 2019
Denmark
So... When are we gonna introduce OP to the 15GB facepacks and licensing and real name fixes??

OT: I believe my first FM-game was Championship Manager Italy back in '93 and I've been on that shit ever since. I skipped FM2019, but i just checked steam, and I have 1277 hours in FM18! When you first get to know the ways of the game, Football Manager becomes the ultimate 'multi-tasking game'. Beside the thousands of hours of podcasts, I must have watched The West Wing, Sopranos, and The Wire at least twice each while playing.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
So... When are we gonna introduce OP to the 15GB facepacks and licensing and real name fixes??
Get them whilst you can because places like FM Base and Scout have been targetted for license infringement in recent weeks, no idea why its happening now but FM has always kinda flown under the radar with this stuff

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Got too complicated for me but my teenage years were spent playing championship manager so I do have a fondness for the series. Like Civ games it has soooooooooooo much replayability. It's cited on divorce papers for a reason. So yea it's good for sure

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
uh... you tell me?

gIRUNB7.png

lol

it's super incredibly fucking good... but it's an acquired taste. some people need the direct involvement, some are content to sit back and watch them go.

however once you 'get' it, you won't be able to stop. i think i burned out on it a bit a few years ago and only picked it back up this year. and the 'purchase every two years' advice is actually perfect since the game doesn't advance all that much between editions and it allows you to actually do some legit long-term saves.

the thing is, no fucking game can match its aptitude to getting you so fucking mad or excited watching these little pixel men run around on a virtual pitch. equal parts exhilarating and maddening it's the king of the genre for a reason (though OOTP is excellent too)

can we get a text sim topic going in here? seems like there's more fans of the genre on here than i thought!

Last edited:

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I gave the '20 edition a try a couple of weeks ago... and frankly not played this franchise since Champ Manager '94 on the Amiga.. Overall its for the real footy die hard which im not anymore. Can see the appeal, but its not for me

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
I started playing these games when it was Championship Manager 2 (1997-1998). l lost interest around 2004-2005 when it became Football Manger. Always fancied jumping back in, but nostalgia might get the better of me. The flashing panel when you score is SO good. It's like a drug.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, AI Man U in FM20 is constantly failing to get into Europa League, let alone Champions. But Ole is still at the wheel, surprisingly lol
It was HARD managing man utd this year.

Fosu Mensah got injured for months until his contract ran down, Alexis Sanchez got a major injury in the second half of the year so I was left with a two star player after he recovered; Thankfully Zenith bought him, but I had to pay 200k every month for the next 2 year.

Thankfully, I bought Haaland for 29 million in the first january window of my campaign and well, swapped Lingard for Eriksen with an additional 6.5m

Smooth sailing after.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Started a new save with Mansfield Town from League 2. Minimum board expectation to win the league. This team has been in League 2 for god knows how long and is 15th in real life. Yet you're telling me if I don't win the league I'll get the sack? What is the board smoking?

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Low key FM2020 OT thread. Thanks OP!

Anyone else's tactics went straight to the shitter with the 20.2 update or just me?

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
If you like soccer/football, it's amazing. I can't imagine it being very fun without being a rather hardcore fan though. The joy of Football Manager is bringing in young wonderkids from around the world and building up your academy with regens, etc. and seeing how they develop. It lets you learn about the best young players around the world which is really enjoyable if you actually care about the sport.

If you don't, it seems like the entire process would be a bit tedious. I signed up for the PC Game Pass since it had FM19 and I hadn't bought it yet. Hopefully it gets FM20 too! Bit weird not playing via Steam though after all these years.. I miss the hour tracker.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
love it! I play the Touch version on PC, and the most satisfying part is when you make a transfer that you know your team desperately needs in real life and it pays off in the match results, proving that indeed you DO know more as a casual fan than the people whose job is literally in real life to make those decisions.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Good lord playing with a lower league club like this is so much harder. I got a lack of staff, poor squad depth with multiple players out to injuries and a pitiful transfer budget. I've gotta manage so much more here. Plus I need to figure out what to do with my players and really dig through the stats to figure things out whereas with Liverpool I knew my players already.

I'm gonna watch some YouTube vids for tips. With Liverpool I was happy enough playing it by ear as I go, but here I'm gonna need a bit more help on my way.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Good lord playing with a lower league club like this is so much harder. I got a lack of staff, poor squad depth with multiple players out to injuries and a pitiful transfer budget. I've gotta manage so much more here. Plus I need to figure out what to do with my players and really dig through the stats to figure things out whereas with Liverpool I knew my players already.

I'm gonna watch some YouTube vids for tips. With Liverpool I was happy enough playing it by ear as I go, but here I'm gonna need a bit more help on my way.

This is how I only ever play the game it becomes streamlined becuasenof a lack of support staff and as you build and grow your remember the names of all your coaches and scouts. Pro tip when your a lower league club turn attribute masking off and scour the free transfers market the free transfers are your friends and your source of income.

Do you still get mobile and touch with the pirchase of the full FM 20 game this year?

Oct 25, 2017
This is how I only ever play the game it becomes streamlined becuasenof a lack of support staff and as you build and grow your remember the names of all your coaches and scouts. Pro tip when your a lower league club turn attribute masking off and scour the free transfers market the free transfers are your friends and your source of income.

Do you still get mobile and touch with the pirchase of the full FM 20 game this year?

Touch yes, mobile no. And Touch is for the PC/Mac only, not Android/iOS (meaning as part of the purchase. Touch is sold separately on those)

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017

What's attribute masking and how do I do that?

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really trying to figure out how to handle the money side of things in the lower leagues. My squad depth is absolute garbage I need to get some players but I'm not allowed! My wage budget means I can't pay any more players. Well I need them. What am I supposed to do, sell or loan players out then bring in better ones?