• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
I'm really trying to figure out how to handle the money side of things in the lower leagues. My squad depth is absolute garbage I need to get some players but I'm not allowed! My wage budget means I can't pay any more players. Well I need them. What am I supposed to do, sell or loan players out then bring in better ones?

What team? you basically haemorrhage money in lower league football. The board usually invest a significant sum once a season anyway so don't worry too much about it.

Oct 27, 2017
For Lower League Management;

1.) Utilise loans
2.) Promote and play youth
3.) Look at free transfers
4.) Sell anybody you get decent offers for

At that level nobody is irreplaceable, and it's totally possible to get by without transfer fees. Bring in a couple of loans where you can and use youth to fill gaps in the squad and/or first team.

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
It's what my dad did instead of parenting, before his fingers got too fat, so it's probably pretty good.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
If you like soccer/football, it's amazing. I can't imagine it being very fun without being a rather hardcore fan though. The joy of Football Manager is bringing in young wonderkids from around the world and building up your academy with regens, etc. and seeing how they develop. It lets you learn about the best young players around the world which is really enjoyable if you actually care about the sport.

If you don't, it seems like the entire process would be a bit tedious. I signed up for the PC Game Pass since it had FM19 and I hadn't bought it yet. Hopefully it gets FM20 too! Bit weird not playing via Steam though after all these years.. I miss the hour tracker.

is FM19 on game pass again? I went to play it last week after downloading it, and was told by the launcher it was no longer available. I only had the option to buy showing.

That would be great if I could play it there though.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah, I just figured out today I should stop buying mediocre free transfer players and loan good ones instead, for my VNS team. Not a great long term plan, but we're going to play sexy football now.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
I am bumping this thread to say that I now have the Switch version as well. Doesn't seem very different at all to be honest. I expected it to be more scaled back than this compared to PC. It's good and now I can have my FM addiction portable.

Remember when I first made this thread? I can confirm lots and lots of hours later that Football Manager is good. I will be day 1'ing next years game whenever that is.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I am bumping this thread to say that I now have the Switch version as well. Doesn't seem very different at all to be honest. I expected it to be more scaled back than this compared to PC. It's good and now I can have my FM addiction portable.

Remember when I first made this thread? I can confirm lots and lots of hours later that Football Manager is good. I will be day 1'ing next years game whenever that is.

Are you playing touch on PC? Because the switch version is just FM Touch

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Is there some kind of feature to begin your game at the start of a previous season? For example, could I turn back the clock and start at year 16-17 instead of 19-20?

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

I only play the switch version now...it cuts a lot of things that takes time and let you to focus on whats important, the tatics

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Is there some kind of feature to begin your game at the start of a previous season? For example, could I turn back the clock and start at year 16-17 instead of 19-20?
That would be such a sick feature but no. Could you imagine they basically just have player stats and everything from previous seasons and let you select your season? Fuck that would be amazing.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Nah you would have to buy an older version of FM to do that
Ah, alright.
That would be such a sick feature but no. Could you imagine they basically just have player stats and everything from previous seasons and let you select your season? Fuck that would be amazing.
Yeah. For me its mainly about wanting to face off against legendary teams, and Messi & Ronaldo in their respective primes.

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017

It's always released late October/early November.

There should be Databases for that, but it has been a long time since I messed up with this kind of DB so no idea how they are in recent years (or if they are there :P).

M0d3_M

Jun 29, 2020
Way too much going on for me in the modern versions, I still play modded CM01/02 with new database a you can get through games quicker and IMO its more fun to play.

zer0_X

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 23, 2020
The switch version is a streamlined version. If you are starting now, this is the way to go. It's not as in depth as the Pc version, but it has enough content and options, specially for shorter sessions (not talking minutes here, OK?)

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I've been playing this game for years but I wouldn't recommend it until they start adding some kind of cursor or icon to show which player you're controlling. I've noticed a few times already that I thought I was controlling a player when he was actually AI controlled and I apparently controlled somebody else offscreen.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Football Manager is the champion of lockdown. Football fans accross the world have been furloughed with their true purpose finally exposed... to win the champions league with dagenham and redbridge.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
It's like crack. An enormous timewaster. Satisfying and maddening in equal measure.

Ahhh don't do it. FM releases are so incremental and tiny that unless you need the season's transfers I try and buy every other year, or at least wait until they hit game pass. And the match engine is usually released in a broken, easily-exploitable state before it gets patched three months later (at which point you could have gotten it on sale).

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
My name is Betamaxbandit and im a FM addict

From playing the old CM games and reading a book while it processed results (yeah i had a real shitty PC) to recently buying an iPad so I could play it in comfort on the counch. I really like the scaled back approach Touch and even the Mobile versions offer, they are still a time sink but in no way as all consuming / divorce enducing that the full PC version is.

OP
OP
I Wanna Be The Guy
Oct 28, 2017
Alright after diving more in to the Switch version, yeah it is quite scaled back. But.....it's not necessarily a bad thing?

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I am playing the 2024/25 season in Football Manager 2012 that I bought at launch. 1200 hours.

What do you think? ;)

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Worse than cocaine.

Get it.

Relinquish your soul to Sports Interactive.

Get the 2021.

Then 2022.

Ad eternum.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
I am playing the 2024/25 season in Football Manager 2012 that I bought at launch. 1200 hours.

What do you think? ;)

I had a great save with Portland Timbers on FM 12. Put a poacher up top with Pace and Acceleration and they'd score bucket loads. Can't get strikers to get involved or do much at all in the last two versions.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I had a great save with Portland Timbers on FM 12. Put a poacher up top with Pace and Acceleration and they'd score bucket loads. Can't get strikers to get involved or do much at all in the last two versions.
Too bad in that edition players would retire pretty young, 35-36 years old.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Switch version of 2020 is 50% off just now in the UK (£15).

It's about £5 on iPhone for comparison.

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
Reached 2035 in my FC Andorra save in Spain, spent 8 seasons at the top three before finally winning La Liga on the last day of the season thanks to Real Madrid losing to Alaves, put about 820 hours into the save. Stopped playing as i felt ive achieved pretty much everything i could do, originally i wanted to take the Andorra national team to the World Cup but i just wasn't producing the youth players at FC Andorra to make it viable.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
It's brilliant, addictive and it'll take over your life if you aren't careful. If you like football then the chances are you'll like this.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'm about to dig in to some of this, does the gamepass version support the patches for badges and kits?

Also, where is the best place to get said patch if so?

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I've been a huge addict since CM4 days and they really, really need a huge AI overhaul at this point. On my current FM 2020 save (at 23/24 season) City bought Vinícius for 105mn € and.. made him available for loan. It really breaks the immersion.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I've managed to not play the last two versions, and I'm extremely proud of myself.

The game has hit a brick wall with its match simulation and AI, and until they overhaul significant elements of it, I'm done.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
I've managed to not play the last two versions, and I'm extremely proud of myself.

The game has hit a brick wall with its match simulation and AI, and until they overhaul significant elements of it, I'm done.

You are fortunate. Last two versions are the worst in a long time when it comes to spitting out a satisfying game of football.

I'm about to dig in to some of this, does the gamepass version support the patches for badges and kits?

Also, where is the best place to get said patch if so?

Gamepass version does not allow modifying of files.