• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
canada
https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/greta-van-fleet-wins-best-rock-album-fires-2019-grammys

What is this shit, Jack White and even the Arctic Monkeys were not even NOMINATED. I know theres a grammy thread but I really want to talk about how experimental and new sounds are underrepresented..

Fantano can be wrong a lot but he was on the money with this.

Like this is something NEW, something EXCITING..

Songs like Ice Station Zebra blending synth, rock, and just being an extremely interesting composition in general.. whole tracks being spoken word etc

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I believe Arctic Monkeys were competing in Best Alternative. (lost to Beck) Also, that latest Jack White album was pretty underwhelming IMO.

But yeah, the Best Rock category has been a nightmare for years. Honestly, I'm just happy the majority of the nominees weren't posthumous this year, as has been the case in the recent past.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Wait, Greta won a Grammy? Awesome! Gotta give that album another listen later this week. Or two or three more listens. It's good to have some new rock.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Not sure why you are looking to the grammys for "experimental and new sounds". It's a celebration of top 40 music.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
from the fires is one of the best albums ive heard in a long time, love it

CalZone

Nov 18, 2017
A big YIKES to anyone that likes GVF. So many other original and exciting rock bands instead.

OP
OP
Cryptosporidium
Oct 25, 2017
canada
Wait, Greta won a Grammy? Awesome! Gotta give that album another listen later this week. Or two or three more listens. It's good to have some new rock.

"new"

They arent innovating, they arent taking something old and reimagining it for the new day. They are literally just a worst Zeppelin through and through imo.

This jack album is something new, something really following the ethos of rock music and blending it with other modern genres and sounds.

But alongside being new, its still following the ethos of 70s prog/rock bands not producing singles really but whole album experiences. This album is like a book, you have to start at the beginning and go to the end.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
If this was a thread about Imagine Dragons winning best rock album, yes.

But no, Greta Van Fleet is really a great band. So they sound like Led Zeppelin. So what? That's great! Zeppelin isn't recording anymore music, so...

1145.jpg

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I hate rock but they were the first rock concert I've ever been too, and they were damn good performers live.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with Greta winning...

.. but I'm sure as hell Tranquility Base H&C didn't deserve the win either. After AM (one of my favourite albums ever) I couldn't have been any more dissapointed with the sequel. Only Four Out of Five is good.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand all the hate this band gets. Even if they sound somewhat rip-offy, at least they're attempting to emulate an amazing band. I'd rather have more of those than a lot of other generic rock trash that gets way too much mainstream attention, such as Imagine Dragons. Having said that, Jack White is on a completely other level and should win every award imaginable, of course.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The grammys have been garbage for as long as I can remember. Even garbage if you just pay attention to pop (as a genre OR just as in popular music)

I'm not sure what you were expecting

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Greta Van Fleet now has more Grammys than Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin was notoriously disliked by critics in the 1970s so this isn't a surprise.

Also Best Rock Album wasn't started until 1995, and looking at Grammy winners of the 1970s it looks like the hardest rock song that won was "Hotel California". It's safe to say that while rock music was popular in the 1970s, it really wasn't acclaimed for the most part.

Nov 1, 2017
GVF look/sound like they're doing an imitation of Led Zeppelin. They can play their instruments but they are devoid of any intrinsic artistic value. Plus, they're the new favorite band of "le wrong generation" types.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Grammys are and will continue to be awful. But it's pretty easy to see why they wouldn't choose such a controversial album. I love boarding house reach but there was plenty of "this is the worst album Jack White has ever made" from sites that do a solid job of reviewing music. It's an album that's not for everyone.

GVF winning is as expected as it is undeserved.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That Rock category was a real snoozefest this year, and has been for quite a few years now.

I don't understand all the hate this band gets. Even if they sound somewhat rip-offy, at least they're attempting to emulate an amazing band. I'd rather have more of those than a lot of other generic rock trash that gets way too much mainstream attention, such as Imagine Dragons. Having said that, Jack White is on a completely other level and should win every award imaginable, of course.
Here's what I always say about GvF:

If you're going for a throwback sound you have to own the sound, you can't let the sound own you.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that Jack White album was possibly his weakest to date... that being said, I was no impressed by any of this year's Rock album nominees (whereas I think last year's winners, The War on Drugs, was a great choice).

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
GvF would be more bearable if they admitted their "influences"

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm trying to be a little fair here: wasn't the Jack White album released to fairly mixed reviews? (I mean, I liked it more than the GvF album but there are other White albums that, if they lost, would be an actual travesty.)

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Greta Van Fleet are worse than Imagine Dragons. There is something to be said about being so goddamn wholly unoriginal and manufactured. Led Zeppelin has produced a ton of music, i'd just assume listen to that than some store brand imitation. It's like saying "Biggie is dead so I'll just listen to Guerrilla Black!"

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever heard GVF, but Jack White - Corporation has made me change the radio station like few songs have in the past decade.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
I would've loved for AIC to win for Rainer Fog which was a great album but am not at all surprised to see Greta win with their rising popularity right now.

I liked their Greta's EP (which won) but couldn't give a fuck about the full album, go figure.