• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
critics in the 70's hated led zeppelin

critics in 2019 hate a band that sounds like led zeppelin

it's like poetry

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
4b58241749dd56dd750cd25c0ff8d7ad.png

tenor.gif

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Grammys suck. More news at 11.

Seriously the best rock isn't going to even be nominated by that shit show each year so who really cares?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Jack White's last album was pretty underwhelming, but Greta Van Fleet is seriously terrible and their SNL performance was more off-putting than any I've seen in a long time.
I don't understand all the hate this band gets. Even if they sound somewhat rip-offy, at least they're attempting to emulate an amazing band. I'd rather have more of those than a lot of other generic rock trash that gets way too much mainstream attention, such as Imagine Dragons. Having said that, Jack White is on a completely other level and should win every award imaginable, of course.
It's not even that they're somewhat rip-offy (Zeppelin themselves were fairly rip-offy :lol), but like they have no identity of their own. The music, the vocals, how they fucking dress, is all super hackneyed. Zeppelin ripped off a lot of artists but made that stolen music their own. Can't say the same from what I've heard of GVF.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Greta Van Fleet is really a great band. So they sound like Led Zeppelin. So what? That's great! Zeppelin isn't recording anymore music, so...

Much like Airbourne fans, it seems that the mainstream rock genre and their listeners are more content with today's bands being cookie-cutter tribute acts of their influencers instead of taking risks and trying out new sounds.

Are Greta Van Fleet great musicians? Sure, they are skilled considering they can sing and play in beat. They are probably the greatest tribute band I've ever heard.

Are they talented, unique, revolutionary musical artists in today's generation? Not if they are carbon copying their entire sound and musical style from Led Zeppelin and only serve to pander to Led Zeppelin fans.

inb4"youdontknowwhatyouaretalkingabout"

stillwrapped

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
??
Wow their song, You're the One is almost a complete ripoff of Your Time is Gonna Come. The organ parts are identical

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I like GFV well enough, but I would never give their hashed-over Zep sounds an award. Their songs sound like Zep B-tunes that never made the cut and were just discovered in a vault (and Coda is one of my favorite Zep albums, so I have a low threshold of unworthy LZ songs). If they manage to reinvigorate the rock genre I'll be impressed, but they mostly just scratch a particular classic rock itch.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really liked Jack Whites new album. I always thought rock music could learn something from Pilot Wings 64

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Jack White's last album was pretty underwhelming, but Greta Van Fleet is seriously terrible and their SNL performance was more off-putting than any I've seen in a long time.

It's not even that they're somewhat rip-offy (Zeppelin themselves were fairly rip-offy :lol), but like they have no identity of their own. The music, the vocals, how they fucking dress, is all super hackneyed. Zeppelin ripped off a lot of artists but made that stolen music their own. Can't say the same from what I've heard of GVF.

This is where Im at. It's not even so much that they are terrible musicians or untalented, and it'd be another thing if they took influences of Led Zeppelin and made it their own, but they are just so derivative that why not just listen to the real thing? It's not like Zeppelin's music has disappeared, and there's any shortage of it. If Im in that mood, I'll just fire up some Led Zeppelin. GVF are like the music version of a pixel graphics metroidvania.

Jazzman

Oct 25, 2017
Things this thread has made me confused of:

1) Fallout boy is Rock?

2) A tribute band can win best Album?

2) That Hanson song is really good... are Hanson good now?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's also not like there's no precedent for bands taking an old sound and making it their own. The Strokes took '60s and '70s garage rock and mixed it with up to date lyricism. The B-52's went bonkers with cartoonish '50s camp. Sloan transformed from an early '90s indie label alternative darling into a '60s power pop sensation with a '90s cynic bent.

GvF is just... Led Zeppelin.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Greta Van Fleet is just a bad version of Wolfmother, who was already a bad version of "classic" rock when they appeared. It took them a decade to sound exactly like a cover band.

Oct 27, 2017
Jack's latest album was shit. Greta's was easily better despite the lead singer aping both Robert Plant and Jack White.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
hey now, Muse is alright. They at least can be pretty experimental in their sounds last time I listened to them (like 4 years ago)

I dunno, Muse and Experimental is probably not the combination of words I'd ever really use.

I like them enough I suppose, but not enough to say they have the number one album of any year outside of whatever year they released Absolution.

There's just so much good rock to settle on that. They won with Drones one year. I mean what the fuck?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The opening paragraph of Pitchfork's album review is one of my favorite sentences.

The entire review is pretty brutal

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/greta-van-fleet-anthem-of-the-peaceful-army/

Brothers Jake and Sam Kiszka, on guitar and bass, are both wearing hippie costumes they 3D-printed off the internet. The singer, the wretched and caterwauling third brother, Josh, is in dangly feather earrings and vinyl pants, like he was dressed by a problematic Santa Fe palm-reader with a gift certificate to Chico's. It's a costume—Greta Van Fleet is all costume. And if things that look like another thing is your thing, get ready to throw your lighters up for a band whose guiding principle seems to be reading the worst Grand Funk Railroad songs as if they were a religious text.

Probably the greatest review I've ever read on the site.