• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wark

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
After GAF went to shit, I joined a temporary NeoGAF general discussion Discord server. After a couple hours, I was invited to the larger NeoGAF Discord server (which eventually turned into the ResetEra server). From there, ResetEra was being developed and I eventually got an invite to the forum when it went live.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm pretty sure 90% of all answers are gonna be 'through Discord', but I'm sure all of us can share a more detailed story or two.

I didn't know what to do, because NeoGAF was my sole contact point for the things I used to do there. I started a Reddit account, despite strong misgivings, and periodically tried to register here until it became possible. I'm glad to be here.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I was a lurker on The Other Forum for probably about half a decade at this point, but I never really bothered to make an account. Not sure why, though to be honest as insightful the discussion (sometimes) was on there I'm not sure it never seamed like a very welcoming place for new users. Finding this place after that forum collapsed and seeing a much more positive tone in this community made me feel that now was the time to jump in rather then watching from the sidelines. I hope this place has a great future.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I used to be a lurker. I loved the community, and once this site reached it's open registration phase, I decided to finally join. Thanks for all the laughs, and for all the learning experiences. This community changed my way of thinking in so many ways. If any of you ever have doubts that you make an impact, don't. You helped me.

Agent_Tiro

Oct 26, 2017
I lurked on the old site from when PS4 was announced and signed up. I was more a lurker than an active poster but I then became hooked on destiny and settled into the multiple OTs over the years. When the discord was set up I joined that and then when last weekends events happened I was kept up to date in discord.

Once things started moving forward with resetera I joined via the discord verification and settling in fine already.

FinalSeven

Oct 27, 2017
Always been a lurker and never used Discord. Found out about the whole situation through Google and got a link to Waypoint from one of the articles. Saw discussion here and there about ResetEra. Found the Twitter and went from there.

ironcreed

Oct 27, 2017
Well, it was inevitable.
1565.gif

Glad to see you here, Dennis. :)

Oct 27, 2017
I was always an onlooker on Neogaf. I registered and had my account approved but never posted or commented, I simply enjoyed reading the posts. When the whole Evilore thing happened I figured I wanted to get more involved in a video game forum (one that's - hopefully - free of sexual harrasment). I'm looking forward to being part of this community :)

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
I was never part of any "groups" on GAF, no discords or anything. Just lurked and occasionally posted.
As a result I was completely out of the loop when people left. Did not know where to go.

I heard about ERA on Kotaku just after it was launched, but I obviously couldn't get an invite.

So I joined once it all went public.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
the destiny discord! I found it a little funny how a discord for a game that got a lot of flack was one of the promiment becaon for gaf refugees after all that went down.

shout out to JohnofMars/Xplicit/Ruthless(discord usernames) as they worked hard to most of there approved!

Skipper

Oct 27, 2017
I lurked a lot in the other forum and posted every now and then. I've always loved the community so when everything fell apart and ERA started to form I told myself that I would be more vocal.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Registered for gaf way back in 07 and never got my account approved and just lurked the whole time. when shit hit the fan and the mass exodus began i decided to try my shot at resetera and was approved withhin an hour of registering. Now i can finally participate in discussions with you guys

Deified Data

Oct 28, 2017
I heard the news on a Something Awful mock thread where I spent the last couple years after getting perma'd on the "old forum", saw we were doing a whole blank slate thing and thought I'd touch base with a community I grew to miss. I doubt anyone remembers me but I remember a lot of you and look forward to hangin again. :)

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I (along with other folks) spent like two days straight trying to airlift people off GAF into the ResetEra discords on the down low. The 10-minute PM restriction was immensely frustrating.

To be honest, it was a ton of fun. It required jumping through all these hoops, herding all these Gaffers like cattle into discords and through verification steps and then you HOPE for the magical code genie to appear. (He luckily did!)

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Got a heads up about the imminent implosion on the NYC Discord. Went to check it out and just as the site was starting to chug, built a life raft for the fancy poster community and floated out to sea.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Easy, hopped onto GAF the other day to find it locked down. Thought 'huh' and did other stuff for a couple of days; came back to GAF and found it still down, Googled and read the Kotaku summary and went 'ooohhhhhhkay then'.

Went on holiday for a week, Googled again to see what the deal was on my return, Kotaku linked me to this new forum which was all set up and ready for me, registered, approved and bish bash bosh.

DanTheMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got in the RE discord, they verified me, and now I'm here

Shoutout to Zombie Frank, luluubuu (sorry momma I butchered your name) and especially Jawmuncher for helping with the transition

Last edited:

BlondeTuna

Oct 27, 2017
Eastvale, CA
I got here by patiently waiting for open registration.

Lurked on GAF for a decade. Finally signed up for an account a few years back. I don't post often and strictly stay to gaming discussions.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I personally created the Poli___ Discord (this was the second iteration, I also created the first), coordinated invites and verification for something like 200 people, and then promptly line-hopped into the CFB Discord when codes were being sent out because I'm the worst

Bebop242

Oct 28, 2017
Just signed up this morning via open registration. Was a member of the other site for 5 years (same name and profile pic) and still am but hanging back and seeing how it all shakes out. I've been wanting to join this site since it started but I don't do Discord so I just waited till open registration.

Looking forward to using this site.

RoadTussler

Oct 27, 2017
My brother and I were both pretty big lurkers on GAF and I had a Junior Member account. He was pretty bummed about it, but told me about ResetEra through a Polygon article.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Got in through the Star Citizen discord. Mad props to those guys for all the work they did getting us in.

First 1000 people into ResetEra hype!

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
I saw people on Gaf talking about moving to this new site so I swung by. So glad I did, happy to be part of the community.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I read about it on twitter after the incident happened over at the other place. Signed up through the website when it was opened up yesterday. Happy to be here now. :)

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Through Discord. Quinton is the man. He reached out to me on Twitter and sent me an invite to the Discord channel. From there I got a code and all was well.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It took me like 2 days after the old forum went down to realize that something wasn't right. I missed getting into Discord, so I hung out on the Giant Bomb and D1P forums in the refugee threads waiting to see what was going on. So glad they were able to get this site up and running quickly!

masaa

Oct 27, 2017
France
Got verified on 2 discord servers, but managed to miss the early access codes (by 15 minutes!)
So I had to wait for open registrations.

Quazar

Oct 27, 2017
Just waited for open registration. Waypoint and sleant were great for the last week so I could wait it out.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of great stories in this thread!

Lurked the old place starting from 2012, joined and got banned around the launch of the Xbox One (guess why... ;P). Joined once again in 2014, promoted from Junior to Member and stayed since then. When the meltdown happened I wasn't jumping ship right away like many others. Didn't heard anything about all the shit coming up around the guy and so I had a hard time believing it. During this week I've discovered more and more of the disgusting puzzle until I finished it with someone posting evidence (screenshots) of his whole shitshow. I then decided to jump ship this Thursday. A lot of threads over there were full of people asking for invites and I joined them. Then our savior reached out his helping hand to drag us out of the ocean. Shoutout and big THANK YOU to Reki !

Me in this very special situation:
iYXIlGv.gif

He sent me over to Discord, which I've never used before. There I met Vena. Once again I have to give a big shoutout at this point: THANK YOU so much! He managed to get me and some other refugees into the last batch of the grace period before the public gates were opened. So, that's my story. Thanks for reading if you made it up to this point :)

Glad you were able to join!

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I joined one of the discords too but didn't end up checking it because I'm usually thrown off by how fast stuff progresses there and I had a soul-crushingly busy past few days and weekend so I just kinda mourned GAF on my own thinking, I guess, there would be no valid replacement. That I'd be aimless for... god knows how long. Because I wasn't paying attention (and because I was accustomed to getting all my gaming news from GAF)

Totally had this feeling as well, stuck really missing it on my own since aside from some forums I was alseep when it all happened and the discords went up. Felt like half the internet was gone.

Anyone else feel like the internet was gone during this whole thing?

I swear, it was surreal. It was painful not getting into the discord before it was closed off.
Yup!
Also, I felt like I was missing the majority of the gaming news during that time.

faircure

Oct 27, 2017
It's cool to see other lurkers finally making accounts! I'm in the same boat.
I didn't know what happened at the other site until I googled it up after wondering why the 'maintenance' was taking so long.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been part of Gaf since the old Gaming Age Forums days, saw the mess that erupted earlier in the week and eventually found you guys here. I missed the open invitation period so now I'm a lowly junior again...

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Totally had this feeling as well, stuck really missing it on my own since aside from some forums I was alseep when it all happened and the discords went up. Felt like half the internet was gone.

Yup!
Also, I felt like I was missing the majority of the gaming news during that time.

The funny thing is, during the whole ordeal, the only people I knew to talk to who would care or understand were on GAF. I felt so isolated. I had no idea how to connect to the community to vent about that community collapsing.

I truly didn't believe that an alternative to GAF would ever take off. I guess that's also why I wasn't active in the Discords (even though I was in one). I didn't want to feel hopeful, I wanted to grieve! Hahahaha.

The shock of this site actually manifesting with so much of the community intact was just astounding! And to be approved so fast was a relief. I never expected such a smooth transition right back into the forum life.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
With everyone on the other forum talking about ResetEra, I decided to dive in and check it out when it launched. Problem is that it wasn't until just now that I finally got to check it out since I had to wait for the open registration and the approval.

That said, it will be neat to watch the forums develop overtime.

srhltmr

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I waited until registration was fully opened. I don't use discord so I didn't really feel motivated enough to do so. I knew that registration would be opened soon enough. There was too much work for it not to be.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
We talked about what did happen on an other forum.
There they were talking about discord. (I still don't really know what that is. Never used it) anyways, people said they were working on a new side. At some point the name resetare was mentioned, I followed it on Twitter and then registered when it became open.