• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KmdrSolrak

Nov 4, 2017
I was also lurking on GAF since it was established. Friends and family migrated here so I followed.

Known as Cmdr. Solrak there

GUMDROP

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Relocated from the former site. I had managed to make a name for myself by being about as harsh as I possibly could during even the most trivial discussions so I decided to flip usernames and try to be a little more tolerant. In defense of my good name, I had a writing background that revolved around being fairly snide that I managed to shake off once I broke into tech. So basically anytime I made a more than cursory post it ended up with more acid than planned.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Man those were some dark days. I even visited that shitty community forum in IGN forum ffs.

I kept visiting Nibel's twitter every few hours to see any updates about the community. A day or two later I saw Slaent link there iirc and was so happy to see some familiar faces there.

During my first day on Slaent, a new forum made by former GAF members/mods was mentioned and I was very excited(that early Era logo was terrible lol)

I was later invited to discord and you know the rest.

This is my longest post from mobile and I am sure there will be typos

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I googled Neogaf a few weeks after the site's meltdown to see where the old forum members were headed, and later registered about a week and after it went online. How many people were at Neogaf before this controversy occurred? How many members are here at ResetEra?

Edit: How long will it take before I'm given posting privileges?

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
well GAF went to shit and then I heard on GAF this place is kind of a safe haven for people from GAF and newcomers alike so I figured fuck GAF and Evilore and signed up, been lit so far.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Used to hang out at the old place (under a different username than what I have herr) but never really posted much.

Followed everything and the set-up of this forum and stuff, and well, here I am.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You know what I found to be so pathetic over there was that there was hardly any significant posting for Wolfenstein II because of their new policy. W2, Assassin's Creed: Origins, and Mario Odyssey were all the highly anticipated releases for that week and yet no one would elaborate on that game other than the PC performance issues.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
(First post in the new Era, fitting I guess)

I was a lurker on the old site for about a year before I was able to get an account.

I think I lasted only a couple months or so before I was banned for an offensive comment I made in the thread about the Paris Massacre in 2015.

A lot of things could have happened after that but I chose to reflect on what I said and make a change. I know the feelings about the old site are still raw and rightfully so, but spending time on that forum made me a much better person. I'm glad that it seems that the quality which kept me there for so long when I could have been spiteful instead was strong enough to endure and help form this site. I was initially hesitant to jump into it though because of the craziness of the whole situation. But now that everything seems settled, I'm glad to be here, and I hope it'll be around for a long time.

Deleted member 433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moviegaf smuggled me in by putting me in the boot of their discord van. To be honest chatting to everybody on discord was great, made some new friends on the journey here.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
Although I joined GAF in 2013 I wasn't really active, mostly used the site as a news aggregator. I was there when stuff started going down so I knew I had to do something just in case. Found main Discord link on SNES Preorder chat. Needed a community for the approval process and was rescued by someone going through old threads sending PonyGAF invites, it was unexpected but really nice.

sephiroth7x

Nov 2, 2017
I was on GAF for a long time but didn't post much (normally just reading through at work) then I went on holiday... GAF went through its stuff... everyone left, so for my daily check of what is going on in the gaming world I came here! Haha.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Was thinking about possibly hanging out in GAF for a while to see how it would develop, actually, but as time passed on I just grew increasingly uncomfortable with the situation there. Got PM invite to a few Discord, though in the end due to timezone difference I missed all the discord codes and just registered using normal registration, hahaha.

There's a bit of a weird thing where someone actually took my name, but thankfully it got sorted out right now :)

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I was lurker on the old site for around 3 years, but never got around to making an account. Now seemed like the best time to actually make one.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I actually didn't realize what was going on at GAF until it was offline.
Cold and lonely, wandering the streets with no home... I came across Slaent. They let me stay there to regain energy.

I kept my ear close to the ground.. As soon as Era went online I registered as soon as I could
This was my situation exactly as well. Glad to be apart of this community (and Slaent is awesome too).

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I was lurking on gaf for the longest time before joining 2016, still mostly just readin after that. Then stuff happened and next thing I saw was gaf being down. Joined up through normal registration and account got approved yesterday.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I was a member of the old place but missed the Discord stuff. I managed to get in during that 10 min window of open registration before the open registration went public. I guess it was a "right place, right time" thing.

Ensirius

Oct 26, 2017
Someone on the old site offered to get me into a Discord where everybody was waiting for a code to get in.
It was quite surreal.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
When hell started to break loose on the other site, I was looking for invites to get into some discords. Managed to get into some before the site went down.

Joined ERA through the anime discord.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure 90% of all answers are gonna be 'through Discord', but I'm sure all of us can share a more detailed story or two.

So, once GAF went down I proceeded to the Waypoint forums where someone had already set up a GAFugee thread. It was very hectic, but rumours of a Discord for a new forum where already in the air. I asked for an invite and Sou Da was kind enough to hook me up with one. Thanks bud. Got in, got verified.

In the early moments people were still sharing invites for various OT communities and that's how I got into Steam OT discord. ColdSun you're the man - this dude personally verified hundreds of people there. Then it was just a matter of waiting. Registered around 4 AM CET on Thursday and went to sleep.

How about you?
This was basically my experience as well.

EDIT: to clarify, I was at waypoint, and MyDogKyle gave me the discord invite. sometime mid week, I joined souls discord and Morrigan gave us the code to join. This was a really cool and interesting fun time. Certainly something to look back on in the future. Proud of the work we did as a community, and of the individuals who took the leadership positions on establishing a new home, and cat wrangling in the meantime..

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017
Long time lurker on Neogaf, I was about to sign in, but that happened, so I decided there was no chance in hell I applied. I saw someone mention this place in a thread post kerfuffle, and after a quick look, I joined :)

NIcktendo86

Nov 2, 2017
Long time GAF user, about 10 years I think, used to be a regular poster especially in the UKPoligaf thread. Lost interest when everyone started losing their shit past year or so, stopped going on the site. Saw the stuff that went down, popped onto sl&ent to see what the story was, found reset era and registered. Hey presto!

Deleted member 11934

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if I already replied in this thread but: I was never a user of GAF, or even a real lurker. But I've heard people here is hated by people who whine about "SJWs" all the time, so I thought it must be good. And it is really. I've also seen by myself the prejudices, as in some awkward threads don't spoil an entire forum. I was tired of small communities and their small mindset too; two or three alt-rights idiots and some people in denial made my old forum unbearable.

My girlfriend was a member of Neogaf and spoke highly of it and while I lurked a little here and there, I never really got around to joining before things when south. When this place was getting started up, she recommended I try to join.

Have to say, I'm liking ResetEra a lot!

Echolocation

Oct 27, 2017
I was away for the weekend when the implosion/explosion of activity + subsequent Discord exodus happened, so I just lurked and watched where everyone else was moving; all of the temporary shelters for refugees. My previous account (different username) at GAF was only 2 years old and I had about 180 posts or so, half of which were nuked when Off Topic went bye-bye. Watched Era go up and erupt in a ton of activity, until I managed to make a new account... unfortunately the same email I used for GAF was blocked here, but I had some wonderful assistance from Finale Fireworker, who flagged down someone on staff and now I'm here, finally!

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
A couple weeks after the incident, I Googled 'where did everyone from NeoGAF go' and found an article directing me here.

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Member of GAF until the meltdown happened. Lurked and watched the stream of account suicides on the site. Soon saw a tweet from Nibel that there were pieces being set into motion for a new forum to replace GAF. Then I killed my GAF account, waited for public registration, and here I am now.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
I immediately jumped out of the sinking ship as soon as I saw people I knew and the community I visited were all culled by mass account suicides. This is about a week after I came back to gaf and missed all the meltdown. I only went back to gaf as soon as I read the kotaku article.

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
I had been frequenting GAF for years and left like many others when the news broke. I got into a discord that got a link to get in :)

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Somtimes lurked on GAF but never posted. Heard about the drama on GRcade and thought I'd make an effort this time around.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
I had a bazillion posts on GAF going back over a decade, but I kinda float around and don't form bonds or join communities, so I had no way into the Discord and had to wait until open registration.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I'm wondering when we will start to get members who are not associated with GAF. Unless I missed some.
I lurked but didn't get my account approved there until this week - womp womp. Which led me to thinking I should check and see if that other forum was allowing new members yet, and here I am. It's nice to finally be posting, so like...huge thanks to everyone for pulling this together, I honestly didn't expect to be let in here for a few months at the earliest.

A Wild Shark Appears

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
I waited five months for my account to be validated at the other place and of course right before it did the place implodes. Before that I had been lurking for twoish years, so I wandered from place to place, saw ResetEra mentioned and the rest is history.