• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
I'm pretty sure 90% of all answers are gonna be 'through Discord', but I'm sure all of us can share a more detailed story or two.

So, once GAF went down I proceeded to the Waypoint forums where someone had already set up a GAFugee thread. It was very hectic, but rumours of a Discord for a new forum where already in the air. I asked for an invite and Sou Da was kind enough to hook me up with one. Thanks bud. Got in, got verified.

In the early moments people were still sharing invites for various OT communities and that's how I got into Steam OT discord. ColdSun you're the man - this dude personally verified hundreds of people there. Then it was just a matter of waiting. Registered around 4 AM CET on Thursday and went to sleep.

How about you?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I sent Llyranor a PM on GAF, got an invite to the Discord and got my account approved in the 3rd wave earlier today.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've been on Discord for a long time, but I never really used it (I much prefer forums over IRC style chat). When GAF went down, and I learned what happened, I logged into the communities on Discord (and got invited to a couple others), and they just brought us all in.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't able to get into a discord so I kinda lurked on gaf and gathered as much info as I could. Then saw the resetera Twitter and basically typed the website name ever so often until it popped up. When it did I was able to register.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I found my way to waypoint and got a discord invite from there. After that I was able to get in.

I've been on Discord for a long time, but I never really used it (I much prefer forums over IRC style chat). When GAF went down, and I learned what happened, I logged into the communities on Discord (and got invited to a couple others), and they just brought us all in.

Yea, discord is cool but GOT DAMN does it burn my phone's battery. It was ridiculous. Also, can't really have viable organized discussions on it. Just scrolls too too fast.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hung out with the ComicsOT community and we all made it. Fantastic evening.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drunkenly tried to see if I could load OT in the bathroom and took a screenshot of the code to the One Piece discord in case things fell apart. Turned out to be a good call.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Got lucky on the open registration window the other night. Which is a good thing since I got banned from GAF before I could get in touch with a discord.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Got into the NESbot discord, which got me into the main Discord, which got me into the Sony discord, where I got verified and invited to the forum.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
When GAF died, I retreated to Reddit for a while. I saw SL&ENT mentioned on Twitter as a refuge for former GAFfers, so I checked them out and found them to be a welcome safe space to weather the storm. I heard about the development of Reset there, and got in last night during the thirty minutes or so registration was open.

Thank the gods for SL&ENT and for ResetEra. And thank the gods for the hard work of the mods and admins who put so much effort into getting this place up and running so quickly and so smoothly during the apocalypse.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
I put it out that I wanted a code and I got spammed from all directions.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Signed up for Slaent as there were a lot of users going there (great forum by the way). Got invited to their discord, got verified there and got my security code.

itsrealfood

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a few of the Discord servers get posted last Sat while the old site was imploding and thanks to the hard work for everyone involved in the dozens of channels, I was able to make it over here with one of the initial registration codes.

Yoshichan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Jesus Christ, this story of mine could be written as an essay.

EXTREMELY LONG STORY SHORT:

- Hype on Discord
- No invites were sent out
- 48h without sleep
- Exam after 48h without sleep
- Went to toilet to update Discord whether invites had been sent out during the damn exam
- Got 3 hours of sleep, then drove to Stockholm to an event
- Restaurant date, while going back and forth between dinner and toilet (I was checking the Discord while I was at the toilet)
- Drove home, checked Discord, invites had finally been sent out - of course, the only fucking time I couldn't be on my phone (because I was driving)
- Craziness ensued

Dunno why these kind of things always seem to happen me all the time.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Discord, my first contact I went to when it all went down was the Anime community. Eventually rehooked up with the Asian community thanks to Pet and that's how I got in.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Went to Waypoint, but I didn't really feel like talking about games, just wanted to talk about the chaos haha. Someone mentioned slaent as being where all the BCT people went, so I went there, and stayed. I was pretty sure for a while there that Slaent was gonna be my new home until hype about Era started ramping up, then got an invite into the Slaent-GAF discord.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I started getting some texts form GAFers I know IRL if they knew what was going on with EL. I had been offline the past few days and had no idea. So went onto GAF and it was a shit show. Thankfully we already had a PoliGAF Discord (we started a chat in 2015 for the Louisiana Governor's race results that eventually found its way to Discord) and waited there for ~the comet~

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Not much of a story, but I got in through the SonyEra Discord. Thank you DriftingSpirit.

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
I got in with special thanks to Colin from the MH discord. I wasn't that active in the old OT, but I did lurk there a lot.

Before that, I hung out at the Waypoint forums.

hamarr

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Discord chat plus good timing. I didn't make it to the original Discord groups during the event.

Edit - Since, it was already mentioned: the mental health discord thanks to Colin.

Last edited:

divination

Oct 26, 2017
Was on GAF as the situation was deteriorating. Saw a lot of people mention they were moving here, so when open registration popped up, I joined.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
PMed someone in Waypoint (ThisIsMyDogKyle I think?) the day after GAF fell. Got into the main Discord from there after verification it was me. Should've joined the Smash or Box Office Discord or something! But Discord is for the youth, you see, and scientists estimate I could be as old as 25

As that was the largest community though, we got in last via the First Wave. But honestly, glad I got in when I did. There were a few errors when we got the all clear to register and I'll admit I was freaking out a bit.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Had never used discord previously, installed and then lucked into Cisce asking for PM's for the Canadian Deals discord. Now on this great site and also learned of the awesomeness that is Discord

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I was lucky enough to get in during the open registration window on the first day. Actually, Timeaisis gave me a heads up on Twitter, which was very nice of him.

I also checked out the Waypoint forums. Those people seem very nice, but I didn't really care for the layout. I'm sure I'd get used to it eventually, but I'm glad to see that ResetEra is very familiar feeling, even if there are some fun new bells and whistles.

Namaste

Oct 25, 2017
The Canadian deals discord was my lifeline. I was in the main discord too but it was too fast to keep up with.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had an embarrassing pictures of the admins at the Christmas party and threaten to release it if they let me join...nah I am kidding I was on Pokégaf discord and joined from there.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was representing Buy/Sell/Trade in the community discord so I was in the first 100 to join :P

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't yet part of any Discord community at the time it went down. When GAF's implosion began and I was seeing plentiful mentions of people scrambling to Discord channels, I took the chance and jumped into the general channel via a link hidden in one poster's message. I can't remember which member that was, but I'm thankful for them, as I was able to make it in before the general Discord mods closed it off to invitations only. Then from there it was a case of waiting until the codes were distributed.

There were plenty of eggplants in that Discord. I don't really know what that means, but it's now a symbol of pride and glory for me.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, i saw in BrazilGaf thread that people was making a new forum and asked for a invite! Haha