• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
We might be in for industry changing event where it's 2 vs 1 situation in the console space and I am curious what would you do as a Sony to approach it.

Keep the course with 1st party high quality exclusives and ignore the situation?
Court 3rd party devs?
Approach MS for Gamepass (If even possible) on Sony platforms like Xperia/Playstation?

Some interesting times ahead that's for sure, especially If the bond between MS/Nintendo is as strong as rumors suggest.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How about we wait for official news before we create reactionary threads to rumor threads?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It makes sense for MS to join forces with Nintendo to combat Sony's dominance, and give themselves a shot in the arm.

But i don't think Sony can really fight back on MS becoming a service instead of a platform, or even if they need to if they can keep their own huge niche in the marketplace

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox is shooting itself in the foot in the console sales and helping Nintendo to catch up with PS4 in the software space.

So...Sony should do nothing imo?, because it won't affect them either in software or console sales.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony might need to start making PSNow a more enticing service but in the short term they just need to keep doing what they're doing otherwise. Make sure they don't hit any obvious pitfalls (like no BC) with the PS5.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I dont think they will change... they are doing good like this, they will just improve the services (that is MS strenght), but they already have great first party games, and games are what matters.
As long as they dont become too greedy as during PS3 era they are safe.
EDIT:
For me wont change nothing until the games I like are on PS. I mean, I buy N consoles later always to get series of games I like (like phoenix wright) so games are the most important things.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Feel like everyone is getting way ahead of themselves with this rumor. Unless MS and Nintendo fuse together like a megazord I don't see why Sony should be worried.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
We should wait for a confirmation cause so far these are just rumors and conditions could be very different from what we think now.

Remember the rumored EA origin deal on WiiU.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I believe deep down Sony will be too stubborn to allow BC from PS1-PS4; or even just BC for PS4. I think to a very serious degree, they have some critical critical challenges coming up, and I think they are going to lean VERY hard on Santa Monica studios and Naughty Dog. I really hope those two developers are up to the task. I think there is a very serious possibility we could have only Microsoft and Nintendo together; and google and amazon being the other two players in videogaming after this gen.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will change as long as Microsoft is a non factor in most of the world.

Sony will be fine.

I believe deep down Sony will be too stubborn to allow BC from PS1-PS4; or even just BC for PS4. I think to a very serious degree, they have some critical critical challenges coming up, and I think they are going to lean VERY hard on Santa Monica studios and Naughty Dog. I really hope those two developers are up to the task. I think there is a very serious possibility we could have only Microsoft and Nintendo together; and google and amazon being the other two players in videogaming after this gen.

Sony will obviously allow BC for PS4 titles. This generation was when digital storefront matured, they'll leverage their dominant position with consumers' past purchases. Otherwise they would be forfeiting a massive advantage for no reason. It didn't happen with the PS3 because of the peculiar architecture of the PS3 but Sony allowed BC with every other console and handheld released.

PS1-PS3 is less clear though.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, a bit premature since this is based on a rumor and even that rumor has no idea what's going on.

Still, say the unthinkable happens and MS and Nintendo fully get into bed together and fully share libraries and all that stuff. There're so many possibilities that could happen. Sony could join them to form one huge orgy. Sony could partner with someone else to do their own thing. Sony could invest even more into PlayStation to combat this new force. Sony could do absolutely nothing and just stay the course.

Who knows. It'd be very hard to come up with a realistic Sony reaction to a rumor that can play out in so many different ways.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait for the official announcement to further comment on it, but one thing is certain, this would make full PS4 BC even more of a necessity than ever.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What i think they should do is:

1. Be more competitive with the pricing. They could bring much more people into their ecosystem by offering a lower point of entry for the PS4.

2. Expand their development teams and put out more exclusive content. They are focusing too much on the AAA stuff while mostly ignoring AA and Indie type games. Content is king and the more (and more diverse) you have the better your position in the market.

3. Cater a bit more to the hardcore. Especially their Pro support leaves a lot to be desired. They could do so much more with bringing older games up to snuff with minimal effort (how the hell is there still no Pro patch for Bloodborne??). If i buy a mid gen upgrade for 400 bucks i want it to be fucking supported properly.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Get their 1st party stuff on PSNow faster. I think this damages Xbox hardware more than it will PlayStation. People who have a Switch would have less reason to buy an Xbox.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I dunno, keep investing in their studios, games, and services.

When you have quality output like what Sony has been doing this gen you don't stray far from the formula.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Nothing, all three console manufacturers draw is their exclusive games. Keen to see how this works out for microsoft in the end.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Well, a little thing but they should go back on their new regulations in Japan. It is only hurting their reputation, and is only causing more problems to developers as not only do they need to send their games to Sony of American to be review, but also all the paperwork needs to be in english. Not a problem now, but once they lose their foothold on the market, people will reconsider buying it on their ecosystem when they know the playstation version is censor.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
We might be in for industry changing event where it's 2 vs 1 situation in the console space and I am curious what would you do as a Sony to approach it.

Keep the course with 1st party high quality exclusives and ignore the situation?
Court 3rd party devs?
Approach MS for Gamepass (If even possible) on Sony platforms like Xperia/Playstation?

Some interesting times ahead that's for sure, especially If the bond between MS/Nintendo is as strong as rumors suggest.

What has given you the impression that "we might be in a 2 against 1 situation".? The fact that someone has said "strong relationship" backed up with absolutely nothing of any substance?

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Port PS5 games to PC.

Dear god no!!!
tenor.gif

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Too stubborn to allow BC? You're talking about the Sony who had BC on the PS2 and PS3, right? That's the Sony that would not allow it, despite offering a streaming service that also allows downloads currently of PS2 and PS4 titles? lol

I know we won't know until they announce it but I think it's pretty much a lock that we'll get BC on the PS5. The ONLY question is whether there will be PS3 BC, and I'm willing to bet it'll be there too. It's been discussed enough in other threads but it makes sense for them to build PS3 BC into the PS5 if ONLY so they can use PS5 hardware for PS Now servers. That move alone would save them a fuckton of money.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Theres also Amazon/Google/Apple looming behind the corner.

I hope this forces Sonys hand to release all 1st party games on PSNow day1.
And playable on all devices, because I sure as shit aren't buying a Sony console any time soon after my ps4 dies.

Well, a little thing but they should go back on their new regulations in Japan. It is only hurting their reputation, and is only causing more problems to developers as not only do they need to send their games to Sony of American to be review, but also all the paperwork needs to be in english. Not a problem now, but once they lose their foothold on the market, people will reconsider buying it on their ecosystem when they know the playstation version is censor.
Censoring toxic sexual content is bad now? LOL

score01

Oct 27, 2017
It would be a difficult juggernaut to combat. They need to improve/work on their services I guess? especially ps now which has been regresssing until recently. Once it's improved - make psnow available for switch as well?

Interesting times ahead for sure, especially with the likes of Google and Amazon throwing their hats into the ring...

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Do the fusion dance with Valve.
Seriously though, some form on Steam support & library support on PS4 could be a big deal, Valve has proton & PS4 already uses a custom Linux OS, though the PS4's CPU & devs needing to add support for it might be an issue, but Source games & some indie games on PS4 could be neat.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno join with ... Sega? There's really not much of anything they can do, there's 3 hardware manufacturers in the current console business if 2/3 are getting closer I mean the other one doesn't exactly have a lot of options. Amazon and Google are alright but they don't really make any games themselves and Sony already has third party games.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It´s not going to hurt Sonys reputation if a few creeps can´t play their anime fiddlers anymore. Quite the opposite actually.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark

Your last sentence lmao. So that soon to be 100M+ install base will just vanish over night?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It would be a difficult juggernaut to combat. They need to improve/work on their services I guess? especially ps now which has been regresssing until recently. Once it's improved - make psnow available for switch as well?

Interesting times ahead for sure, especially with the likes of Google and Amazon thowing their hats into the ring...
That'd just strengthen the Switch, which is probably the last thing they'd want to do. If MS actually put all their stuff on the Switch, it'd be PlayStation's big competition, not Xbox. The Switch has already started breaking into traditional PlayStation strongholds too, so they already have little reason to put something like PSNow on the Switch.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is bringing back memories from before the PS4 and the XB1 were announced.

Someone should start a poll asking if Sony survives next generation .

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Don't think they need to do anything major, just keep investing in exclusives. Expand first party studios, fund exclusives from third parties and maybe acquire a few AA studios to avoid droughts in the future as games take more and more time to make. They'll be perfectly fine regardless of what their competition does as long as Sony keeps pumping high quality exclusives out.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well they're apparently going to rapidly increase communications this year so if something like that MS/Nintendo rumour does come to pass we'll surely have a response from Sony right away. Did the rumour say anything about when the announcement was likely to be made? Would be rather apt if it's at E3.

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Seems to me they are 2 very different companies now (MS and Sony).

Sony doesn't have to worry about a thing, just keep doing what they're doing, which is producing solid consoles and a consistently good exclusive software output.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Well they're apparently going to rapidly increase communications this year so if something like that MS/Nintendo rumour does come to pass we'll surely have a response from Sony right away. Did the rumour say anything about when the announcement was likely to be made? Would be rather apt if it's at E3.
Why would Sony care to respond publicly or immediately?