• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not MS-Nintendo cooperation they need to worry about specifically - it's the changing landscape of gaming that they're part of that's the biggest threat.

Sony have proven they're very good when it comes to the, for want of a better phrase, traditional console business model, and they just need to make sure they're on top of whatever this shift brings - whether it's next generation or the one after. I can see them partnering with Amazon or Google to achieve it.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's US only I assume?
Yes, to my knowledge. I don't know what plans are internationally, but if literally the biggest market in the world will be ready day one to stream on xCloud. Then say two to three years into the generation, Sony is going to look like a dinosaur.

It is the reality of things, I don't quite understand why people keep saying streaming technology is so far away when things like Azure and 5G exist.

People are going to be blown away. It's legitimately amazing technology that changes the industry forever.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
They will always be relevant. Sony was a master console maker. Once consoles become irrelevant, I wonder just how relevant Sony will be......I personally think they will do great but on the other side of the coin there is sega.

They have the most diverse range of games, they have pedigree, they have the talent. There's no question of it. If consoles ceased to be, worldwide studios would still be doing great. People forget that Sony are a top tier publisher.

Not that consoles are going anywhere anytime soon.

Jan 31, 2019
They have the most diverse range of games, they have pedigree, they have the talent. There's no question of it. If consoles ceased to be, worldwide studios would still be doing great. People forget that Sony are a top tier publisher.

Not that consoles are going anywhere anytime soon.
I agree. I think a sega scenario for Sony is highly unlikely.

It's gonna be a harder fight for those 3rd party royalties though.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the industry is in for a big change and Microsoft has been planning for that change for a while now. Nintendo will get a pass on not being ready for the streaming future only because they make a massively popular handheld device that Microsoft wants in on in regards to streaming.

I think Sony will still win the traditional console hardware space but I am not sure if they are willing, ready, or even able to go toe to toe with Microsoft and Google on the streaming front. I just can't see a future where Sony moves beyond their walled ecosystem for something like that.

I see Sony being the stubborn one that will still stay isolated next gen and they will only branch off like Microsoft has if they get bloodied up a little bit. Sony can't wait too long though because if streaming games takes off and becomes a reliable way to play, Microsoft and Google will have already been there in a huge way.
Agreed. I wasn't convinced about streaming, certainly not with Sony implementation of it (having experienced it on a Samsung TV + PS4 controller) it felt more of an experiment, but with the big boys getting involved, Google, MS, Amazon and rumors of more it feels that the industry is shifting and now is the time for this to be a important part of gaming delivery. With interest comes investment and development of tech & infrastructure, and I can see the 3 pioneering methods and attitudes are going to change because of it.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird choice of words...

MS has shown very clearly that they either don't want to or can't compete with Sony 1st party. Nintendo, while they obviously do have good 1st party, don't offer the same kind of games that PlayStation gamers generally want.

I personally have a PS4 and a Switch and love both. They are complementary, and I don't see what adding MS on the Switch side of things would change.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Why wouldn't Sony and Nintendo be interested in selling hardware? Both are making bank by doing so.
And last gen (PS3, Wii U) they lost money with them.
If streaming is the future this falls flat anyway.
None of them will lament the loose of hardware as long as they belong to the winners of the coming streaming war.

People will continue to pay for access to Nintendo content. It's the reason Nintendo's hardware sales now. In that sense this may seem to out them behind, but it's not really an issue as long as they are planning behind the scenes and are prepared with their own service at the proper time.
If that were the reason the Wii U wouldn't have been a colossal flop. Switch is the only handheld left on the market and has enough support to be attractive to the non Nintendo gamer.
Their own service at the proper time? - Like they introduced "their" incredibly backwards online system at the proper time?
Also good luck getting the Djinn back into the bottle, after the Djinn turned out to be a hit.
Reminds me of MoviePass only that the movie theater chains realized what was up.
And good luck entering a market after giants with "infinite" resources like (Sony,) Ms, Google, Amazon or Apple have already established themselves.

Jan 31, 2019
Another looming threat is that once consoles are out of the picture and video games are all delivered via network streaming platforms, it will be a really easy entry point for the juggernauts to come in and test the market.

Amazon or apple could try to compete. The console part is what has made a barrier of entry for them.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not MS-Nintendo cooperation they need to worry about specifically - it's the changing landscape of gaming that they're part of that's the biggest threat.

Sony have proven they're very good when it comes to the, for want of a better phrase, traditional console business model, and they just need to make sure they're on top of whatever this shift brings - whether it's next generation or the one after. I can see them partnering with Amazon or Google to achieve it.

Great point, agree here too. Sony do offer the best selection of quality 1st party games, but they will need to partner with one of the cloud heavyweights to maximise thier offering as a service platform against a possible Nintendo+MS partnership, working with one the 2 mentioned would put Sony in a strong position to counter them. Fascinating nonetheless.

Jan 20, 2019
Great point, agree here too. Sony do offer the best selection of quality 1st party games, but they will need to partner with one of the cloud heavyweights to maximise thier offering as a service platform against a possible Nintendo+MS partnership, working with one the 2 mentioned would put Sony in a strong position to counter them. Fascinating nonetheless.

They are already partner with Amazon in europe....

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
They will just pretend that their main imput on the PS titles, PSN and thd PSVR are enough to beat the concurrency. If not, they will try to ridicule their work while doing basically the same behind the curtains and pretend it will be a revolution and the future of the industry when they reveal it.

Aeroucn

Oct 27, 2017
I'll bet 100 bucks that Sony will end up partnering with Google or Amazon, this 2 companies will take Sony's first party in a hearthbeat

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
And last gen (PS3, Wii U) they lost money with them.
If streaming is the future this falls flat anyway.
None of them will lament the loose of hardware as long as they belong to the winners of the coming streaming war.

If that were the reason the Wii U wouldn't have been a colossal flop. Switch is the only handheld left on the market and has enough support to be attractive to the non Nintendo gamer.
Their own service at the proper time? - Like they introduced "their" incredibly backwards online system at the proper time?
Also good luck getting the Djinn back into the bottle, after the Djinn turned out to be a hit.
Reminds me of MoviePass only that the movie theater chains realized what was up.
And good luck entering a market after giants with "infinite" resources like (Sony,) Ms, Google, Amazon or Apple have already established themselves.

People weren't going to purchase the Wii U for a variety of reasons. The content Nintendo did release on it was the least of the problems and is the only reason it wasn't a bigger failure.

You are also comparing purchasing a $300+ system for the opportunity to spend even more to purchase individual games. A Subscription service would be a much easier sell to consumers for a small monthly fee to potentially access all of Nintendo's content, including its vast back catalog.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Let's see how this unfolds first, eh?

I'm pretty sure, more from Nintendo's side, that any link with Microsoft would be superficial at best

Game pass / streaming Xbox games on a switch is mostly detrimental to Nintendo.

If a game is in gsmepass publishers would lose both an Xbox and a switch potential sale.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Lmao I just sold my One X because it has shit all for games I want to play.

MS' games just ain't hitting this gen, brah. Nothing fanboy about it. I'm not about to say gamepass has amazing content when most of the exclusives on offer I didn't care for and the third party offerings I already own on other hardware.

See the problem is that throughout this entire thread you've been posting your opinion as if it's some sort of fact. And the only fact is that Switch getting Gamepass and Xcloud would in fact bring a lot of content to the system. Making it more viable, a better value and could potentially make it blow up even more than it is currently.

Whether you like the games or not, the word "Halo on Switch" would be the definition of megaton.

Of course all this is dependent on whether or not this turns out to be true, so the point could be moot.

Nov 12, 2017
wow Just wow yesterday was just an intense day full of news to make your head spin.
It would seem that at this point Ms and Nintendo are "in bed together".
So if things are about how the rumors say Microsoft will arrive at the launch of the new console with an ABSURD reach of users..... the PC users (probably with a store renovated before launch) the Nintendo Switch users..hungry to play lots of missed games on gamepass....adding gamepass on iOS/Android...and if this isnt enough they lend themselves to launch two consoles including (always following the rumors) the one that Spencer wants to be the most powerful on the market (anaconda).

Well what could Sony do? ...firslty release two sku's or it
first of all,
- Release two sku's at launch. This will prevent it from being crushed like a sandwich by the price and the power of the two Ms sku's (Lockhard and the aforementioned Anaaconda). The erosion from the lowest price and the power of the most expensive model could lead (if everything goes smoothly to the launch of the consoles) via several users.

- Release their first party on PsNOW. this would be honestly a megaton that could turn the tide for their whole service. Service that even if at the moment turns out to be the most profitable. I do not think (as many) that will have a single chance against the MS service especially if you expect the new acquisitions will bring new life into the microsoft first party portfolio.
I think the release of their exclusives on PSNow is essential to remain relevant..in a future so interconnected and especially with the arrival of 5g. where the streaming services will be growing rapidly

Last edited:

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
You are also comparing purchasing a $300+ system for the opportunity to spend even more to purchase individual games. A Subscription service would be a much easier sell to consumers for a small monthly fee to potentially access all of Nintendo's content, including its vast back catalog.
If they planed to go into streaming, they wouldn't/shouldn't cooperate with Ms.
And a Nintendo only stuff streaming service would always be niche against an all games streaming service.
And the latter is less likely the longer they wait and this cooperation is directly counterproductive to it.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
MS has shown very clearly that they either don't want to or can't compete with Sony 1st party. Nintendo, while they obviously do have good 1st party, don't offer the same kind of games that PlayStation gamers generally want.

I personally have a PS4 and a Switch and love both. They are complementary, and I don't see what adding MS on the Switch side of things would change.
Ok?

The point of my response was this part of the post:
This. Sony is successful because of stuff that neither MS or Nintendo can compete at.
How do you know MS and Nintendo "can't" compete? Neither company follows the Sony formula (3rd Person Cinematic Action) so there is no example to back that claim up. The poster should of used "doesn't" instead.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Yes, to my knowledge. I don't know what plans are internationally, but if literally the biggest market in the world will be ready day one to stream on xCloud. Then say two to three years into the generation, Sony is going to look like a dinosaur.

It is the reality of things, I don't quite understand why people keep saying streaming technology is so far away when things like Azure and 5G exist.

People are going to be blown away. It's legitimately amazing technology that changes the industry forever.

I feel the problem why people are skeptical is while the technology can definitely be there, corporations in the US will fuck it up with caps and absurd pricing. Technically, there's no reason why most urban and even suburban areas aren't connected to fiber at this point. It's just that telecoms don't want to invest in that kind of infrastructure if they don't have to.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok?

The point of my response was this part of the post:

How do you know MS and Nintendo "can't" compete? Neither company follows the Sony formula (3rd Person Cinematic Action) so there is no example to back that claim up. The poster should of used "doesn't" instead.

If they could, why wouldn't they? MS has been trying and failing, and Sony has stomped them.

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the rumors are true it's going to be hard for sony to compete in the future. Consoles are still relevant now but that will change in the future. Microsoft is making these type of deals now and they will pay off huge in the future. It is all about the mau's now and reaching as many people as possible. You dont need a dedicated device for just for Netflix and look what they have become.

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
If they could, why wouldn't they? MS has been trying and failing, and Sony has stomped them.
Again you need to back up your claim with examples...

At the end of the day, neither MS or Nintendo has pushed the genre that Sony is now renowned for. Now with MS buying studios, come back to me if they tried and failed at it...I don't see Nintendo trying that genre in foreseeable future so who knows...

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
They have the best game developers in the industry working exclusively on the platform. Most people buy these consoles for great games, so all Sony has to do is continue to push the boundaries of the gaming industry with their quality exclusives not found on any other platform like Dreams, God of War, Last of Us, Death stranding, ghost of tsukishima, blood borne and much more. All Sony needs is an exclusive AAA jrpg like legend of dragoon or something similar and I will not even look at the competitors. However, it looks like the kids these days are more into Battle Royal..so maybe that should be there focus.

Or maybe partner with google Netflix like game services

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS5 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS5. Sony has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a PS5. Except if they want to play Uncharted 5. Which will also come to Game Pass at some point.

The age of Sony is done.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS5 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS5. Sony has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a PS5. Except if they want to play Uncharted 5. Which will also come to Game Pass at some point.

The age of Sony is done.

Lmao xD

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

The age of Sony is done.

Bad post.

I mean, who would expect Uncharted 5? Drake story is done.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS Now is not a good service.

The games offered are poor and the network execution is not there either.

As an IT person who works with Azure on a day to day basis, I genuinely believe the Azure servers will be significantly better for xCloud.

Sony isn't taking this seriously enough and will have to rely solely on the strength of their first party. The landscape is changing.

There is nothing stopping Sony from using Azure servers if they're so amazing. That's what Natella wants anyway.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Sony teams up with Steam. Your Steam Library now playable on PS5. And PSN library now available on Steam.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
If they planed to go into streaming, they wouldn't/shouldn't cooperate with Ms.
And a Nintendo only stuff streaming service would always be niche against an all games streaming service.
And the latter is less likely the longer they wait and this cooperation is directly counterproductive to it.

I don't think they have any plans to leave the dedicated hardware business anytime soon but just because they haven't announced anything doesn't mean they haven't been spending R&D on streaming technology.

There is already streaming available on Switch, so they are at least somewhat dipping their toes in. Allowing Microsoft to offer their tech doesn't exclude Nintendo from having their own service in the future if necessary. If the market determines its necessary Nintendo can still bring their own service, or partner with a service to bring their content via streaming.

Content will be the driving force and with Nintendo's IP whether they create their own service, offer other services via their hardware, or partner with someone's service to bring their content they will be fine.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft's stable of franchises are the weakest of the three platform holders.

We know the mass market consumers aren't interested in them because they can't sell systems in anything like the volume of Nintendo or Sony.

I'll be amazed if the take up of this gets any sustained traction.

Although Sony and Nintendo titles on Xbox I can see working out better. But the other way around? Nah. It's not like there's not enough titles on the other platforms to play already.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I mean XBOX on Nintendo means absolutely nothing if Microsoft doesn't start to branch out and make a variety of legitimately good or interesting games.

And if they get the Halos, Gears, etc on Nintendo(or other platforms as suggested) they will potentially be just killing XBOX consoles off as it will continue to be a battle between Sony and Nintendo which is fine for both of those companies.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They don't have to tackle anything. The potential MS and Ninento collaboration won't fare into Sony's waters. PS will still be PS and they'll keep their first party.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
People should be really worried about the erosion of competition, not cheering it.

Honestly it would only be a matter of time before Sony joined in and we ended up with a MS/Nintendo/Sony gaming conglomerate that steamrolls gamers and doesn't give a shit what any of us care or need. Game sharing? Dead. Discs? Dead. $60 games? Dead.
Google is likely announcing a console soon. This might just be Microsoft not willing to compete in that space anymore. They already can't keep up with Sony, and if Google really wants in on this market, they certainly have the means.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017

I think traditional gaming is much more stable now than at the beginning of this gen. There was an insane amount of "everything will be mobile games", "last console generation" and hit pieces like that, now we've seen that there's still huge demand for traditional gaming.

Sony has easily benefited the most from that with how they handled PS4, so unless they suddenly drop the ball, we shouldn't have to worry that PS5 will be a crazy F2P no disc drive digital DRM system or something, if anybody's going to stick to their guns it's Sony.