• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you use default or inverted look controls

Votes: 497 47.0%
  • Inverted

Votes: 539 51.0%
  • Inverted....and I'm also a pilot with passengers lives in my hand.

Votes: 21 2.0%

• Total voters

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Inverted makes more sense to me for shooters. Moving a reticle like a cursor doesn't feel as intuitive as aiming it up and down like a cannon.

I think for me it's just a useful disconnect for the fact that analog sticks don't allow 1:1 accuracy, and inverted means you're not moving the stick with any expectation of that.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
1) Since always. Could have been GoldenEye, Starfox, or the many space flight sims I played on PC before that.
2) I tried default just this week because...
3) ...I was playing with my kids and leave it on default for all the controller-swapping we do. I'm future-proofing them from the pain of ALWAYS having to go into the menu and change the controls to inverted in every damn game I play. I'm sure if I took the time I could rewire my brain to play with default, but I've been playing it this way for over two decades, why should *I* have to change?! (shakes fist at clouds)

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Inverted is the correct way and I have proof

Imagine a control stick on the top of your head or back of your head, now think of your thumb on that control stick

Which way would you move the stick to look up?

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Holyshit the votes are alot closer than what I thought it would be.

Default for me. I only inverted if its the default setting for that specific game.

Inverted is the correct way and I have proof

Imagine a control stick on the top of your head or back of your head, now think of your thumb on that control stick

Which way would you move the stick to look up?
If the stick is at the back of one's head

Move down = Look up
Move up = Look down

But you would have to invert left and right as well.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
I play inverted on analog sticks but uninverted on a mouse. I think in my mind, a stick represents my neck, while a mouse represents my eyes.

Oct 27, 2017
Inverted. No idea when or why, but it feels entirely natural. I've forced my kids and wife to be inverted too, they can't function any other way ahahaha.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I think I kind of went back and forth early in the PS2 generation depending on the game. When I bought an Xbox and Halo 2, inverted happened to feel more natural to me so I decided to try sticking with it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I was playing quake last night and in the
options, inverted means up is up. That's just how we used to do things.

It's more comfortable for me and far more intuitive since I bend back to look all the way up and I bend forward to look down.

And I know this is rare, perhaps superhuman, but I can flip back and forth between inverted and non at any moment and play fine. Takes about 5 seconds of adjustment.

So I can play them both and I can tell you which one is trash.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who plays inverted is a fuckin weirdo and I will die on this hill by going up by pressing up on the stick and going down it by pressing down on the stick you inverted fuckin weirdos.

The anti-inverted people always seem a little deranged. Get help.

But yes, it was playing X-Wing on PC that did it.

1337words

May 4, 2019
Inverted Y axis with controller since Halo CE had it by default. Not inverted with mouse.

I wanna know who inverts the X axis...

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I think it's like a left hand, right hand thing. Everytime my 7 year old gets on one of my fps games she instantly looks at the characters feet...and then realizes she pushed the stick the wrong way.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do whatever you want. But people who think inverted Y without inverted X is somehow rational are delusional.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Console wars, platform wars... in the end, the stick layout wars will outlast them all.

Inverted all the way.

Deleted member 52823

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
I e played with inverted, but now I just use default. It would take a bit of adjustment to go back to inverted at this point, but it probably wouldn't take long to get used to it.

I think inverted was in GoldenEye and/or Perfect Dark, and probably Timesplitters also as default. Not sure.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I invert both axis.

Also fuck any dev that only puts the option to invert only one of the axis, I'm looking at you GTAV. Luckily, most shooters let you invert both, as it should be cause options are always good.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Inverted for everything since I can remember, my 24 year old brother plays inverted as well due to me being the older brother with the games at the time. Yet our youngest brother plays normal.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inverted since the days of N64 games with first person view. Last time I tried to deal with standard was with Beyond Good & Evil. Tried and failed. Never beat that game because I simply can't control standard.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
This shit comes up three times a year. and three times a year I say we should have a fat death match between the pilots and the pointers.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
What happens when you push your head forward? Your head tilts forward and you look down.

Invert Y = head look

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
when you play RE4 leon leans back to aim up, thats the reality of the situation and anyone who thinks otherwise has wires loose

i wouldn't be caught dead pushing leon forward to make him aim up, that dont make a lick of sense

Haveagood1

Oct 27, 2017
Put that stick on top of your head and perform the same action. You push forward you look down you pull back you look up. This is the correct way to play video games and fly aircraft.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Inverted since forever. Probably started with microsoft flight sim. And it makes the most sense if you imagine a joystick sticking out the top of someones head.

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to make a lot of people sick to there stomachs. I play inverted x and y axis.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
  1. Some time in 1996, with the shareware version of Quake.
  2. I think one of the recent Lego games didn't allow invert look. Either that, or Beyond Good and Evil. Neither went well.
  3. I will allow my children to decide on their own, but I will heavily incentivize inverted look.

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
Reporting for duty as part of the Inverted Y-Axis Master Race.

The rest of you non-inverted, unwashed masses are monsters.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
On console I invert, on PC now that I've had Steam Controller for quite some time, I'm mouse look on the right touch pad. Touch pad and gyro should be the future, it's so nice and accurate.

Gyro with in-depth configurations, so you can turn it off or use it however you want with the sensitivity and activation method you want. Like gyro assist when aiming down sights. Don't know why so many console people are against gyro options, well other than they don't want people that are ok with using it to have an advantage.