• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you use default or inverted look controls

Votes: 497 47.0%
  • Inverted

Votes: 539 51.0%
  • Inverted....and I'm also a pilot with passengers lives in my hand.

Votes: 21 2.0%

• Total voters

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Default, but it doesn't really matter because I've always preferred to play FPS with a mouse and keyboard anyway.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
relevant thread as per my time at Judge's Week over the past few days:

(to clarify, many publishers who had first-person games available this week DID implement fully functional inverted-look options for gamepad stations. or gave me a kb+m option, woot.)

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
No matter which side of the fence you're on, can we all agree that Inverted-X is subhuman trash?

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It started when I was a kid. I was playing Descent on my dad's fancy new, gigantic computer and he had a flight stick. He played Flight Simulator and he fly in the Air Force so he used the flight stick too. That is where it stuck for me.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
relevant thread as per my time at Judge's Week over the past few days:

(to clarify, many publishers who had first-person games available this week DID implement fully functional inverted-look options for gamepad stations. or gave me a kb+m option, woot.)

All of this type of stuff just needs to be done at the system OS level with SCAPI-like functionality that's a requirement for certification by the platform holders. If Microsoft is serious about their accessibility push they should be on all devs about this.

Mr.LightMan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have been playing inverted since I can remember, anything else is wrong. Third person, first, etc, always inverted and ya won't ever change my mind.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I *think* I started with default. Then for a brief period (maybe a year, or a particular game, or something) I played inverted. Then at some point I switched back to default and that's still where I am. I don't understand the logic behind inverted*, I want the camera to move in the direction I press the stick. I don't have to mentally invert it in my head to hit the stick so the game can un-invert it to convert it back to the desired behavior.

Specifically, I don't understand people who do invert Y but don't invert X. If you're going to use the weird " it makes sense because I'm tilting the back of the imaginary head/camera one way to make the front of the head/camera go the other way" kind of logic then I don't understand why you wouldn't do it on both axes. But I've known several adamant Y-inverters who, when I say something about inverting X, are basically like, "....but that's weird, though." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I used to play inverted, but when my brothers and our friend would take turns playing Halo 3 I'd always have to switch the controls since they played uninverted. I forced myself to switch and not I'm all uninverted.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Inverted.

You're moving in a 3D space. It's not up or down. It's forward and backward.

Push forward on the left stick to push character forward.
Pull back to pull them back.

Push forward on the right stick to push character's view down.
Pull back to pull character's view up.

Left is still left. Right is still right.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Inverted is winning? 🤢

Each day we stray farther from God's light....

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to make a lot of people sick to there stomachs. I play inverted x and y axis.

I used to do this for 3rd person games - and of course, many 3rd person games like Mario 64 and Wind Waker forced it. By extension, that meant that any 3rd person games that had a 1st person view might still be inverted as well. For example, I played through Demon's Souls that way: Mario 64 3rd person camera (makes perfect sense), inverted X axis bow shooting (feels pretty weird).

But eventually, the sheer number of games that didn't allow X axis inversion made me give up on my preference and just play the way it was coded. X axis inversion doesn't correlate 100% logically to real world motion, anyway. You'd have to twist the stick for that to be true, or play on a SpaceOrb.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Wait these poll results are actually blowing my mind, I had no idea so many people used Inverted cameras.

edit: Curious about this relates to demographics now.

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Never inverted. It's grotesque.

I also don't buy the whole 'stick on back of the head' logic of inverters. If that were the case people wouldn't just invert the Y axis.

Worse still are people who invert the mouse in a FPS.
This is exactly how I feel. The "stick behind the character's head" logic fails if they don't invert both axis.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Inverted!

If you pull your head back you look up, push it forward and you look down.

I don't see how people have it any other way...

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I *think* I started with default. Then for a brief period (maybe a year, or a particular game, or something) I played inverted. Then at some point I switched back to default and that's still where I am. I don't understand the logic behind inverted*, I want the camera to move in the direction I press the stick. I don't have to mentally invert it in my head to hit the stick so the game can un-invert it to convert it back to the desired behavior.

Specifically, I don't understand people who do invert Y but don't invert X. If you're going to use the weird " it makes sense because I'm tilting the back of the imaginary head/camera one way to make the front of the head/camera go the other way" kind of logic then I don't understand why you wouldn't do it on both axes. But I've known several adamant Y-inverters who, when I say something about inverting X, are basically like, "....but that's weird, though." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I invert Y because I want to feel like I'm controlling a head, not a camera window. If I push my head forwards in real life, I look down. Same principle in game.

The reason I don't apply it to the horizontal axis is that if I tilt my head left or right, I look (or lean) in that direction. Why would I want the opposite to happen?

The only way I can make the standard Y axis make sense is if I think of the stick as my character's nose or eyes. That way it's logical that pushing it "up" makes me look up. That opens up a weird FOV sensitivity for me that I don't normally get, though, so it's been a long time since I tried non-inverted controls. For some reason, if I think of the view as my eyes, I suddenly become hyper-aware of low FOV and start to feel sick.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Inverted for life (with a controller). It was N64 that did it to me, I'm pretty sure. I use normal look with a mouse though.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
All of this type of stuff just needs to be done at the system OS level with SCAPI-like functionality that's a requirement for certification by the platform holders. If Microsoft is serious about their accessibility push they should be on all devs about this.

I've said this before, but I really miss the 360 and its system-level Invert Y preference you could set.

Every game I play nowadays I need to go through the settings first to find the Invert Y option. Games that just start you off with gameplay before allowing you to go to a Settings menu are the worst.

It was much better to just smoothly have every game know I was an Invert King.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Inverted. Always. Forever.

I can also play default if I have to, because I am the superior life form. But I prefer inverted.

I've said this before, but I really miss the 360 and its system-level Invert Y preference you could set.

Every game I play nowadays I need to go through the settings first to find the Invert Y option. Games that just start you off with gameplay before allowing you to go to a Settings menu are the worst.

It was much better to just smoothly have every game know I was an Invert King.

A-fucking-men. And this preference setting still works on backwards compatible 360 games on the One, which is bonkers.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly how I feel. The "stick behind the character's head" logic fails if they don't invert both axis.

The X axis correlation is flawed. Tilting the stick left or right should tilt or roll. But since there's no twist function for turning, and there's no "roll" if you're not flying, it's an obvious substitute.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you see the inverted people questioning why you non-inverted play the way you do with such hostility?

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Invert Y-Axis or I'm not playing your game. I pull back on the stick to look up as there is no Z-Axis on the stick. Anyone saying we are weird or the like can kindly fuck off like the games that don't accommodate those of us who have more than 3 brain cells. We don't go around saying you are weird because you think that pushing forward on a stick = ascending upwards like some kind of 1 brain cell moron, do we? No, we don't.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
For analogs this is how the look stick is for me. FPS or TPS.

s8aXxfr.jpg

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Never inverted. It's grotesque.

I also don't buy the whole 'stick on back of the head' logic of inverters. If that were the case people wouldn't just invert the Y axis.

Worse still are people who invert the mouse in a FPS.
The 'stick on the back of the head' thing is wrong and it's too bad it caught on because it causes a lot of confusion. It's better to think of it as a stick on top of the head. It's not perfect, but a more accurate way to think of it.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
1)At what age did this start?
Somewhere around 15 when it was the default controls in StarFox on SNES.

2)When was the last time you tried default
Many times some years ago when I was testing games that didn't have invert options implemented yet. Hated every second of it. Pestered devs about it every week until they put it in.

3)If you have children do you let them decide on their own or do you also corrupt them with this (imo) flawed system.
I'll let them decide.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Reporting for duty as part of the Inverted Y-Axis Master Race.

The rest of you non-inverted, unwashed masses are monsters.

Don't be like that. We don't have to be mean.

It's out of a tradition of basic kindness that their control preference is often labeled as normal rather than default. Default of course coming from the French word defaillir, meaning "to be lacking," or "to fail."

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Inverted for life. I suspect it's old ass video games that trained me.

As for passing it on to the kids. My son is a default user and I made no effort to change him, each to their own I say. Makes it a pain when he hands me the controller to help him out though.