• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you use default or inverted look controls

Votes: 497 47.0%
  • Inverted

Votes: 539 51.0%
  • Inverted....and I'm also a pilot with passengers lives in my hand.

Votes: 21 2.0%

• Total voters

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Signed onto my friend's account the other day, he was out of town and wanted me to get him a gun in Destiny.

Dude had his controls all jacked up.
Down was up, up was down, I couldn't function properly in game and fixed it.

So to those who follow the path of the inverted I have some questions.

1)At what age did this start?
2)When was the last time you tried default
3)If you have children do you let them decide on their own or do you also corrupt them with this (imo) flawed system.

Was inverted once the default? I think ... I remember it being the default in COD4 and I would have to change it.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Inverted since as long as I can remember it being an option to do so.

I always change controls at my friends place and he gets mad. I can't go back. There have been (older) games in the past where it wasn't an option and it ruined it for me.

I don't know how to live any other way.

capnjazz

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Byrgenwerth
Playing FPS on a console is already a flawed system, so I don't know why you would think inverted makes it any worse. ;) Anyways, during the days of the original Xbox my controls for Halo got inverted and I never bothered with changing them back so every Halo after that I just ran with inverted controls.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Only inverted for flight or third person swimming (because it's plays just like flight).

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Inverted. When I was kid, flight sims were pretty popular and me dad was a real pilot.

Jun 10, 2018
I think GoldenEye did it to me. But then again, I think it's more then that and probably just the way your brain functions (or genetics as both my brother and myself play with the right stick Inverted).

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Signed onto my friend's account the other day, he was out of town and wanted me to get him a gun in Destiny.

Dude had his controls all jacked up.
Down was up, up was down, I couldn't function properly in game and fixed it.

So to those who follow the path of the inverted I have some questions.

1)At what age did this start?
2)When was the last time you tried default
3)If you have children do you let them decide on their own or do you also corrupt them with this (imo) flawed system.

Was inverted once the default? I think ... I remember it being the default in COD4 and I would have to change it.
Inverted was the default until like 2000.

"Default" wasn't a thing, because we weren't barbarians back in the 90s.

Gunship

Oct 28, 2017
Inverted ever since playing Zzoom on the ZX Spectrum with a Kempston joystick. You can't unwire that.

Oct 25, 2017
Inverted Y Axis because I'm not a stupid animal.

Shit was just always inverted if you played back in the joystick days.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Never inverted. It's grotesque.

I also don't buy the whole 'stick on back of the head' logic of inverters. If that were the case people wouldn't just invert the Y axis.

Worse still are people who invert the mouse in a FPS.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Inverted since the beginning of time, not sure when it started... Tie-Fighter or maybe X-Wing? One of the Colony Wars games? Goldeneye? I have to switch it to inverted every time I pick up a game anymore.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Playing a fps on a gamepad is pretty terrible to begin with, but when I do I play inverted y axis. Been that way for as long as I can remember. But playing on pc with a mouse, I never invert.

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
Inverted because that's how I interpret my neck working when I look up. I don't push my chin up, I pull back with my neck.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who plays inverted is a fuckin weirdo and I will die on this hill by going up by pressing up on the stick and going down it by pressing down on the stick you inverted fuckin weirdos.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Inverted was the default until like 2000.

"Default" wasn't a thing, because we weren't barbarians back in the 90s.

Exactly. The original "first person shooters" were all games where you were piloting a plane or a spaceship, so it was only natural that they all had flight stick type controls, and that just stuck for just about any game with a first person perspective since it's what everyone was already used to. I can't recall when I noticed the first time I got a game that allowed you to change it to anything else. I'd already been used to inverted for probably 20 years, so...

Gotta say though, seems like whenever there's a contentious thread about this bullshit, it was some dickhead non-inverter who picked the fight.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
What in the actual fuck. I never thought many people would use inverted controls. Y'all out of your minds.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
We doin this again? Aight. I play inverted. When I tested games, everyone said I was crazy, but at least that config got tested. Put your hand on your head, and use your arm up look up and down. Your head is the stick.

Or! Play 3D games since the N64, where everything was inverted by default and most times unchangeable.

Or! Just do what's comfortable... Everyone hates playing a game with my settings because my controls are ravaged, but they work for me.

Edit: to answer your Qs:
I started at age 6 or 7
I can play both on stick and mouse; sometimes I have to switch if friends are passing controllers but I can switch very easily.
My kids, if I have any, will probably play inverted if they play games with me, but I'd rather they do what they like, in games and life.

Last edited:

Anubseth

Jan 10, 2018
So since I was small I always played games with inverted Y. I don'y know why but my first 3D game was Ocarina of Time. Oddly enough in the past 2 or 3 weeks I just can't do it anymore, I need to return to the regular scheme. It feels odd because many games are configured for the inverted scheme and when I go back to them it feels weird. I don't know why I changed my habit (I have 30 years btw).

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Since Star Voyager on the NES and maybe Top Gun? You're controlling your pc, or piloting him if you will, so despite the naysayers it does make sense...

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
I think turok on N64 had inverted aiming which was my first console fps. There were times in the past where I could overcome standard aiming but I grew up on inverted.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
We have this thread regularly. Inverted means you're thinking in 3D. "Up is up" means you're thinking in 2D.

Both are fine.

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that up is down and down is up. It's that pulling back makes you point up and pushing forward makes you point down.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Default. Played first person games inverted back when that was normal, but the moment "default" became the "default" was a joyous occasion.

DangerMan

Oct 29, 2017
I see it as, If my target is in the upper right portion of the screen, I'm going to move the controller over there in that direction. Like I would say use a mouse for work

We have this thread regularly. Inverted means you're thinking in 3D. "Up is up" means you're thinking in 2D.

Both are fine.

This pretty much sums it up. I don't think of it as a screen when I'm playing and my IRL head doesn't work that way.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I've been inverted for as long as I can remember, however I did notice something interesting the last time I was playing Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

If you aren't familiar, VtM:B was a first-person RPG only released on PC back in the early aughts and never had official controller support. However, within Steam you can create custom controller support for any game. I naturally made my custom controller profile to have inverted Y axis aiming when playing the game. In other words I re-mapped mouse aiming to the right stick of my controller. So, if I tilt the right stick up, the mouse points down.

However, this game was not meant to be played with controllers and you spend a lot of time in menus where you are using your mouse. I noticed that while I played the game inverted, I was constantly struggling with the mouse menus. It was like my brain naturally wants first person aiming to be inverted, but the moment I'm controlling a mouse cursor on a plane, I want that to be non-inverted.

It became too much of a hassle (on top of other issues of trying to play that game with a controller). Am I the only one to have experienced this contradictory relationship with inverted controls?

Jan 2, 2018
Remember how the Xbox 360 would save your controller settings universally? I miss those days. Having to change my controls for every new game is the worst.

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty funny you come to be shocked about the fact people play inverted, as for me the worst part of your post was the 'stick' part, more than playing it with invert y axis or not.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Inverted = Flying a gun, which is all a FPS is basically.

A lot of older games who grew up in the 90's when Flight Sims / Flight Combat Games were the HUGE genre just are used to it.

Do you 'normies' fly planes non-inverted?? that is even crazier.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
You're holding the controller kind of weird if you move the sticks up and down

I move them forward and backward

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
lmao at everyone using default

basic gamers, the casualest of casuals, probably buys microtransactions too

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Inverted since the beginning of time, not sure when it started... Tie-Fighter or maybe X-Wing? One of the Colony Wars games? Goldeneye? I have to switch it to inverted every time I pick up a game anymore.

I think TIE Fighter was the first 3D game I played a lot. But yeah, pretty sure inverted was the default in every early 3D game I played.