• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Consoles don't have super cheap game bundles and free games constantly rolling in. Game Pass is great, but at the end of the day you have nothing. Money spent but no game library of your own.
Take the latest Humble Capcom bundle. Nothing on consoles will ever compete with that level of value. And not only are the games yours, but you can trade/sell duplicates.
You're gonna have to buy a fuckton of games at 20% off and sell a hell of a lot of $3 codes from those bundles to make up for the ~$800-$1000 cheaper price it costs to buy a next gen console vs it's PC equivalent.

And that's just if we're actually taking your Game Pass claim seriously. Services like Netflix, Spotify, and well, Game Pass, have shown imperatively that people don't give a shit if they "own" the content they're consuming.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Building a new PC without seeing how averagely system requirements are set and how practical they are for most AAA games, is useless. Its completely illogical to buy a new PC RIGHT NOW if you want to match or exceed specs of the Xbox Series X as we don't even know how it performs fully in AAA games or graphically demanding games that are officially released. So without giving any estimate I will straight up tell you to wait till both consoles release and have games specifically built for them and released and we see their benchmarks.

Last edited:

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I currently have a PC with a GTX 1070, i7 7700k and 16gb ram, and i can only do 1080p/ultra settings

i plan to build a PC for the next gen of videogames, so how much am i gonna spend if i want a PC with similar specs as next gen consoles?
When the 30- series drops, get one of those and an 8 core+ Ryzen CPU/board

It cost a buttload, but I think my 9900k/2080ti rig will outperform next gen systems.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass on PC isn't anywhere near as robust as Game Pass on Xbox. Sorry, but arguing that gaming on PC right now is somehow less expensive than gaming on console is a losing argument.
Because you say so?

You're gonna have to buy a fuckton of games at 20% off and sell a hell of a lot of $3 codes from those bundles to make up for the ~$800-$1000 cheaper price it costs to buy a next gen console vs it's PC equivalent.
Over the course of a generation, it will work out cheaper on PC if you look at the sheer value you're getting. Higher initial costs, (assuming the person started from scratch and didn't just upgrade their gpu) but access to a ton more games at lower prices or via subscriptions or just outright free. Plus no online fee(s).

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Building a new PC without seeing how averagely system requirements are set and how practical they are for most AAA games, is useless. Its completely illogical to buy a new PC RIGHT NOW if you want to match or exceed specs of the Xbox Series X as we don't even know how it performs fully in AAA games or graphically demand games that are officially released. So without giving any estimate I will straight up tell you to wait till both consoles release and have games specifically built for them and released and we see their benchmarks.

100% this. Too early to tell.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Over the course of a generation, it will work out cheaper on PC if you look at the sheer value you're getting. Higher initial costs, (assuming the person started from scratch and didn't just upgrade their gpu) but access to a ton more games at lower prices or via subscriptions or just outright free. Plus no online fee(s).

I have to imagine some people who aren't used to it have trouble imagining how big a difference it makes. And that's still only talking about cost to buy games, ignoring the access to vastly more games and many other things you can do with the PC.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
We're not going to have a real answer to this question until we have retail consoles running retail versions of games. The way these consoles are configured is different from a traditional ATX-sized PC.

Sure, these consoles both have CPU and GPU designs stemming from modern desktop equivalents, but they're still custom solutions that will operate differently—even between Series X and PS5.

TL;DR: Don't focus on specs. Focus on performance data. We won't know what an equivalent PC will be until we've seen exactly how retail consoles perform. New PC parts release all the time. Market prices fluctuate all the time. Ask this question again after console launch.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Randomfrankp tried to build a PC with as similar spec as possible to XSX, but still with weaker components as they're not available yet, and ended up spending 1300$.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
The 30xx series comes out soon doesn't it? I feel like these consoles are only going to have the advantage while they're not actually out lol

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
It always feels like we get a nice jump on PC after new consoles come out. A year after the Xbox 360 came out, we got the 8800 GTS/GTX. A year after the PS4/Xbox One came out, we got the 970/980 GTX. And those were good cards that would last the entire generation without breaking the budget. I'm hoping the new 30xx cards this year will be similar. And hopefully AMD's new cards will provide some competition.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
What would be required for next gen quality at 1080p? Or should I make a separate thread for that?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

You're looking at how unreleased consoles compare to current PC components. By the time they hit store shelves, we'll have a new generation of PC components. The pricey high range will now become the mid range. And it's only going to widen further every nine months or so.
Right now is the worst time to build a new PC, or upgrade components anyways. Best to wait until after the new consoles arrive.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
You're looking at how unreleased consoles compare to current PC components. By the time they hit store shelves, we'll have a new generation of PC components. The pricey high range will now become the mid range. And it's only going to widen further every nine months or so.
Right now is the worst time to build a new PC, or upgrade components anyways. Best to wait until after the new consoles arrive.
Seriously lol we have this thread every gen. This discussion rarely makes it far into the gen

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
This is really ballpark performance and price and does not include some stuff like tower and other accessories but...

700$ => RTX 2080 Super
300$ => Ryzen 7 3700X
250$ => PCIE 4.0 nvme SSD 1tb

200$ => compatible motherboard
80$ => 16GB ddr4 ram
120 => PSU

Total: 1,650$

edit: bumped up the PSU and motherboard costs.

The 3060 will probably be the equivalent of a 2080 super today so that cost will likely go down to $400 at least and a cheaper NVMe drive will likely be adequate since the PC wont ever utilize a 7 GB/s SSD for gaming (new SSDs are coming this year with 7 GB/s controller which will probably be the only drives certified for PS5 use). So the NVMe drive could be bought for say $170ish for one that is faster than the Xbox SSD, so that will bring it closer to $1250-1300ish. Although in August-October time frame (likely when 3000 series releases) who knows how much RAM and SSD prices will fluctuate if there is a shortage.

One caveat with the $400 RTX 3060, though, is that Nvidia could go the stupid $100 surcharge tax again for FE at launch, meaning the 3060 could be $500 instead of $400 for the first 1-2 months.

Last edited:

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017

And that's just if we're actually taking your Game Pass claim seriously. Services like Netflix, Spotify, and well, Game Pass, have shown imperatively that people don't give a shit if they "own" the content they're consuming.

Nah, your claim that "arguing that gaming on PC right now is somehow less expensive than gaming on console is a losing argument." is frankly a lot less simple than you think it is. Even if I don't posit that PC is actually cheaper, it's alot closer than you seem to think. Your $800-1000 number should probably have north of $300+ subtracted from it to account for paying for 5-7 years of XBL or PS+ over the span of a generation since online is free on PC. 20% off is what you can often get off of preordered NEW games on PC. Bargain hunting will often easily net you massive discounts of even 50% or more (I think I bought Tomb Raider reboot for $7 dollars within a month or two of it's launch). Add in factors like modding, bundles, emulation, free games, and like 25 years of backwards compatibility (granted consoles will have BC this gen), and there's a shitload of value in gaming on PC.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Well we're looking at a $300 3700x to match the CPU in the next gen machines.
I bought a 3800X for $270 at the Microcenter, what are you talking about...by the time the new consoles release these CPU's are gonna be even cheaper, not to mention that a lot of last gen CPU's can easily keep up today....

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I bought a 3800X for $270 at the Microcenter, what are you talking about...by the time the new consoles release these CPU's are gonna be even cheaper, not to mention that a lot of last gen CPU's can easily keep up today....

I'm just matching part for part with what we have today.

Nobody knows what the parts will cost will cost in 8 months, or what new parts will be released.

But if I had to guess...

3700x should be down to $170. RX 5700 performance for around $200.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Probably depends how you look at it. Usually plenty of ways to get free/much cheaper games on PC, not to mention you not only get access to the XSX library but the rest of the PC library as well.

This is less true than it used to be, the PS store sale are not as crazy as some steam sales but you can really stretch your money if you're a patient gamer (except on switch).

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding CPU, $300 is a reasonable assumption for something sort of equivalent to the new consoles (although PC version will have much higher clockspeed in the 4.4+ Ghz range compared to 3.4-3.8 Ghz of consoles). The 4700x will be around $300-330ish this fall. Microcenter has some amazing deals but allot of people don't have access to it for potential fire sales of the 3700x after the 4000 releases, so those might only be discounted to $230-250 or so at Amazon/Newegg. Also, the 3000 series could hold its value a little bit better than the 2000 series if the 4000 line isn't as big of upgrade.

Aside from those lucky enough to live in a city with a Microcenter, I'd expect something more like $250 for 3700x and $330 for the 4700x when it launches unless Intel also launches a super cheap 8 core/16 thread processor (unlikely). Microcenter will likely be more like $200 for 3700x and initially 0 discount for the 4700x at launch but a $30 discount soon thereafter.