• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
some youtubers made a video comparison between far cry 5 vs the previous instalments in the series where it clearly shows how far cry 5 was downgraded compared to past games in every way except for the graphics

then immediately after the video went viral DF released a video trying to damage control the downgrade

my eyes cannot roll back further into my head.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
some youtubers made a video comparison between far cry 5 vs the previous instalments in the series where it clearly shows how far cry 5 was downgraded compared to past games in every way except for the graphics

then immediately after the video went viral DF released a video trying to damage control the downgrade

That's not at all what the video did and this post is outright disingenuous if you're trying pass it as that.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't it be easy to test if a patch changed it? Just reinstall the disc and do not apply the patch, check the areas that had res drops.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
A variable resolution to balance out performance makes sense. This game continues to be a showcase for current-gen optimization, even through to the base systems. Considering the number of pixel-counts from various points in the game I've seen that showed native 4K for the 1X version, the mis-read on DF's part is understandable. It's nice to have revised info on the rendering, though.

X's highest resolution is a 77% increase on Pro's highest resolution. Holds it more often than Pro.

Even X's lowest resolution is a 19% increase on Pro's highest resolution.

Considering how real-world performance (rather than just the raw specs) can end up being a sort of equalizer, the quality jump for 4K users between the X and Pro is dramatic.

Oh wow, you actually think there's merit to this. The narrative you've constructed around this stuff is embarrassing.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
thats not damage control, thats offering a different perspective. pleaes dont tell me that crowbcat isnt biased as fuck. OLD GAME GOOD NEW GAME BAD
Nope, it was clearly damage control. The video by DF was advertised as a technical video and instead became an opinion piece. I don't know about you but I go to DF because it's technical prowess and not for it's opinion pieces. From a systems point of view, Far Cry 5 was significantly downgraded and there's no disputing it. It's very clear and instead of stating as such, they tried to brush it under the rug with pr speak. This and other events have had me wondering if DF has started to lean towards becoming a pr arm for several publishers......

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe I'm just not understanding you and the hill upon which you presently reside, but what's "fake" about the video DF made?

VG Tech

Oct 28, 2017
I just checked the unpatched version on Xbox One X (0.1.0 in the game menu and 1.1.267.21 in the Xbox menu) and it also uses a dynamic resolution.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Nope, it was clearly damage control. The video by DF was advertised as a technical video and instead became an opinion piece. I don't know about you but I go to DF because it's technical prowess and not for it's opinion pieces. From a systems point of view, Far Cry 5 was significantly downgraded and there's no disputing it. It's very clear and instead of stating as such, they tried to brush it under the rug with pr speak. This and other events have had me wondering if DF has started to lean towards becoming a pr arm for several publishers......

So because you have decided that they are not allowed to have opinions, it's damage control? Some strange logic, there.

Ryder9

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2018
not surprising at all... high end dedicated GPUs can just barely do it why would a console with on board GPUs be able to do it"

Remember when Xbox 360 & PS3 could "render 720p"

the cycle continues

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
God I hate dynamic resolution. I worked so damn hard to look for dips in resolution and could not find them (which is why I phrased it with uncertainty in the video). I spent hours looking through footage. I can't do anything right, it seems. I'm clearly just not good enough. This is so damned depressing to me.

I'm terrified of Wolfenstein 2 on Switch for this reason.

It's my biggest weakness (dynamic res) and the Internet is such a brutal place. Things are getting so much worse for me right now and I just don't know how much longer I can take it.

So what's the foul here? Are we discrediting DF? They said the AA solution made it hard to pixel count and it still comes very close That I think we can let it slide.
Discredit away. I did my best but I'm a piece of garbage. I tried so hard to count so many shots. Hours worth. Clearly I was off. I'm sorry, I'm just not good enough.

Toxik

Banned
May 22, 2018
God I hate dynamic resolution. I worked so damn hard to look for dips in resolution and could not find them (which is why I phrased it with uncertainty in the video). I spent hours looking through footage. I can't do anything right, it seems. I'm clearly just not good enough. This is so damned depressing to me.

It's my biggest weakness (dynamic res) and the Internet is such a brutal place. Things are getting so much worse for me right now and I just don't know how much longer I can take it.
Duuuuuuude wtf. This really isn't that big of a deal.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I played a little Far Cry 5 X 4K the last few days. Biggest gripe I had was all the damn pop-in.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For whatever it's worth I'm a big fan of your content and your production has only gotten better. I get striving to be on point & consistent every single time but don't be to hard on yourself. Know that you and the folks over at DF do a solid job and many many more people dig the content that those who do not.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Discredit away. I did my best but I'm a piece of garbage. I tried so hard to count so many shots. Hours worth. Clearly I was off. I'm sorry, I'm just not good enough.

Dont take it so hard. :)
At the end it even could have been patched in.

VG Tech

Oct 28, 2017

For what it's worth, you do a good job at pixel counting. You picked up on the temporal reconstruction in MGS Survive which is something that I initially missed in MGS5 on PS4 Pro. In regards to Far Cry 5, it's not easy to get noticeable dips below 4k on the Xbox One X and dynamic resolution combined with taa and motion blur is one of the worst situations when determining the resolution of games.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I've worked myself to death trying to do the best content. I put in so much so errors like this make me want to just quit everything. It's literally going to haunt me for days now. People don't care about you getting it right 99% or the time. You make one mistake and everyone wants to tear you down and since I'm so depressed right now I'm not sure I can take the impact.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I mean, this thread cannot be the reason for this, right? Nobody is without fail and that's a good thing. We can always improve on things and can still have a "blind eye" for certain things. That doesn't make you or your work worse in any way, especially when you get a lot of praise for your videos, at least on this forum. YT comments should be ignored anyway, it's an unmoderated mess.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
If it was a patch that made this then it's obvious to see why it wouldn't be on DF's video. If the game was always like this then it's still understandable if the game is sticking to it's max resolution almost all the time.

Note that it's been 3 months since FC5 came out and VG Tech is releasing these findings now, whereas DF made their videos around the first week after launch. VG Tech had the advantage of time to be thorough in that case. Additionally DF is more mainstream and as such they rely on videos that come around launch time so if a game that holds it's max resolution more often than not and has aggressive TAA, so much so that the first time we hear about dynamic resolution is 3 months after release then you can't really fault DF for missing it. If a patch introduced this then it's not missing at all but rather a change from original findings.

formatnone

Oct 31, 2017
Lithuania
Oneeternitylater.jpg

FC5 uses dynamic resolution....a patch might have done that....imho there's just too many factors could be involved now.
Dark1x don't sweat it, you are doing a great job!

Oct 27, 2017

Man don't worry about it.

It is fine and your work is the best in the business. Sure you got it wrong in this case but you said you were uncertain about it so the blame doesn't lie on you. You make a lot of interesting videos like the retro series and I am a huge fan.

Keep up the good work and keep doing what you do as it is really great.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've worked myself to death trying to do the best content. I put in so much so errors like this make me want to just quit everything. It's literally going to haunt me for days now. People don't care about you getting it right 99% or the time. You make one mistake and everyone wants to tear you down and since I'm so depressed right now I'm not sure I can take the impact.

Only the vocal minority who don't even think twice before responding do Dark. I rarely respond here, but I feel I need to let you know that the work you do is very appreciated and try not to let the negativity get to you man. It is one of the dangers of putting yourself out there on the internet. Know that for every negative vocal person there are probably 10+ people who like what you do.

Clix

Banned

Dude, it's okay! :)

It's just video games. It's all meaningless. We are a bunch of people just discussing toys that we love. Remember, it's just video games. You love what you do and that's what counts.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Won't mean much but just for the sake of saying it, I along with many others will watch or read any new DF content as soon as it is available. I'll go home and before doing anything else watch the latest video, much to the annoyance of my wife! And I intend to carry on doing that for as long as the content is being created, or until I die. Whichever happens first.

Realise that is pretty meaningless and unhelpful, but there it is.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark1x you do excellent work. Very thorough and more importantly you make your content watchable.

No one in this field of ENTERTAINMENT deserves to have their stuff analysed and shredded to bits for inconsistencies, but gamers gonna be gamers in that regard. Don't listen to the negativity - it's their problem, not yours.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Those people aren't arguing in good faith. They are just looking for the smallest detail to justify their preconceived notions and there is nothing you can do to change their attitude.

FWIW, I love all of your DF content. I pretty much go out of my way to watch anything that you (and Alex) put out. It's all absolutely top notch.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
No one is bullying DF but if things are hard and it affects credibility that's exactly what it does.

People just know that DF may not be entirely accurate but that's fine. Honestly I thought everyone knew that whether it's VG Tech of DF you're getting the same degree of info anyway.

One of the things I see changing (thankfully) is that DF understand they're just giving an opinion rather than being factual on a lot of issues but that's what science is. DF is most effective during videos like FFXV where we are wondering why things are less than desired with possible causes.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

Keep on trucking, one mistake doesn't make you worthless.
There is so much else in the videos you make that is worthwhile to watch.
Personally I can't see the difference between 1080p or 4k but the work you do on effects, frame pacing, fps, details, LOD etc etc etc is much more important to me than the pixel count (even if it is important to you personally).

Don't let the Internet assholes get to you!

Ruprit

Oct 25, 2017
MA

I rarely play on consoles but I watch DF religiously because it's so fascinating. Your DF Retro content is incredible, there's really nothing else like it. I don't post often but you can be sure that I support DF's work.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Dark1x VG Tech have you guys ever considered working together? Or at least share each others findings to try and tackle the harder to read games? Maybe you guys use different methodology to determine the resolution? I feel like if either of you is wrong or mistaken on something that person gets some undeserved flak for something that is really hard to determine.

Also since dynamic resolution is so dependant on load it all depends on the footage you guys each create, which obviously is not the same for both, safe for maybe cutscenes. This means you can't really be 'wrong' though too, since its always dynamic so different for you both. Maybe a 'guesstimate' is all we need for videos, so like "this game uses dynamic resolution which varies betweens 1728p and 1920p depending on load". We don't really need a hard number, there is nothing to gain from that.

Also John, don't sweat it man. Your passion for tech and games is really inspiring and I love watching all your videos. People make mistakes and shit happens so don't let people get to you. You guys are both doing great jobs and people should be happy you make these videos.

dist

Oct 31, 2017

Relax dude, everyone make mistakes in their jobs, you don't have to beat yourself up.

RogerK

Banned
Feb 3, 2018

If it was a patch that made this then it's obvious to see why it wouldn't be on DF's video. If the game was always like this then it's still understandable if the game is sticking to it's max resolution almost all the time.

FC5 uses dynamic resolution....a patch might have done that....imho there's just too many factors could be involved now.
Dark1x don't sweat it, you are doing a great job!

According to VG Tech...
I just checked the unpatched version on Xbox One X (0.1.0 in the game menu and 1.1.267.21 in the Xbox menu) and it also uses a dynamic resolution.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Unpopular opinion time.

I'm a big fan of developers employing real time dynamic resolution changes. It helps maintain performance, I would rather the game drop some resolution during action instead of dropping to 20~25 frames per second for a consistent chunk.

A 10~20% reduction in resolution is less notable than a 10~20% reduction in performance, especially for games already targeting 30 FPS.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No one is bullying DF but if things are hard and it affects credibility that's exactly what it does.

People just know that DF may not be entirely accurate but that's fine. Honestly I thought everyone knew that whether it's VG Tech of DF you're getting the same degree of info anyway.

One of the things I see changing (thankfully) is that DF understand they're just giving an opinion rather than being factual on a lot of issues but that's what science is. DF is most effective during videos like FFXV where we are wondering why things are less than desired with possible causes.
Yes. That's it. We're giving opinions based on what we're seeing. It was never anything other than that. At this point, I barely even find resolution stuff to be interesting or newsworthy. That's not why I make anything. It's just something you have to do.

You're wrong, though, the bullying is awful. You may not see it here but the messages and other BS I have to deal with make me wonder why I even bother. Especially since I'm in such a bad state right now. Had an anxiety attack in the car the other day - thought I was going to pass out while driving. Felt like the end right there. This kind of thing may not seem like much but it hits hard when you're wounded already.

All I want to do is celebrate games and tech in a way that's interesting and fun. That's it.

This situation really bothers me, though, because I know how much time I spent on it. I was so uncertain for days about this resolution business. I always felt that it was dynamic but I could never ever find a shot to prove it. It caused me so much anxiety. I had so many people count different shots as well just to be sure. I tried busy scenes, light scenes and more. This isn't a case of just missing something by accident - I gave it my best and I still failed.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Fuck the haters.

You're doing things 99% of posters on this forum can't. Your content is entertaining while being informative. .

Yes. That's it. We're giving opinions based on what we're seeing. It was never anything other than that. At this point, I barely even find resolution stuff to be interesting or newsworthy. That's not why I make anything. It's just something you have to do.

You're wrong, though, the bullying is awful. You may not see it here but the messages and other BS I have to deal with make me wonder why I even bother. Especially since I'm in such a bad state right now. Had an anxiety attack in the car the other day - thought I was going to pass out while driving. Felt like the end right there. This kind of thing may not seem like much but it hits hard when you're wounded already.

All I want to do is celebrate games and tech in a way that's interesting and fun. That's it.

You need to start adding people to your ignore/mute lists. I can understand the appeal of wanting to hear everyone's opinion but sometimes it's better to shut jackasses down asap.

From myself and the tons of other people who appreciate DF content, we're highly appreciative and hope you continue providing us with quality content.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

The game is practically 99% 4k on the X so it's nothing worth worrying about. Now if a game drops from the top res alot then that will change but being dynamic 4k but staying there most of the time is practically 4k then

Cutebrute

Nov 8, 2017
Arkansas
DF videos are among my favorite on YouTube, and the DF threads are among my favorite on ERA. They are too entertaining and insightful to not be enjoyable and educational. The low amount of criticism here highlights the respect DF commands on the site. I think anyone with a bit of sense will understand the massive undertaking these analyses requires, especially when dynamic resolutions are at play.

This is a non-issue, and I am looking forward to that Wolfenstein analysis- that Doom Switch port was incredible and I hope that Wolf gets the same kind of excellent coverage.

GrayFoxBH

Nov 1, 2017
Your work is excellent! You can't cover all situations and areas, specially in a game like FC5, that is so open and dynamic. You did not encounter any drops in your gameplay, and that's totally fine.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

John, you do an amazing job. Your videos are professional and you always make it clear with your phrasing when uncertain.

The vast majority of us love the work you do and I get excited every time I see a new DF video posted as they're always worth my time. Please don't stop doing what you're doing just because of a few grumpy bastards on here who will never be pleased.
I know it feels like everyone, but it isn't. It's just a vocal minority. I promise. I realise that doesn't make you feel any better right now, but sadly it's just the way the internet is. Just remember your DF followers and fans and don't worry about the anonymous moaners on here and Twitter. We love your work John.

SK4TE

Banned
Nov 26, 2017

This situation really bothers me, though, because I know how much time I spent on it. I was so uncertain for days about this resolution business. I always felt that it was dynamic but I could never ever find a shot to prove it. It caused me so much anxiety. I had so many people count different shots as well just to be sure. I tried busy scenes, light scenes and more. This isn't a case of just missing something by accident - I gave it my best and I still failed.
Talk to someone dude, take a break.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

It's nothing to do with not being "good enough".

It's everything to do with pushing yourself far too hard, trying to make deadlines to the detriment of your content.

I think you need to sit down with the people who are expecting content at such a pace and tell them that they can have content that is fast, or content that is good.

You're super talented, but you're still human. I've seen a few mistakes in your videos not because you're not capable of seeing these things but because you're burning yourself out.

Look after yourself first and foremost, once you do, these things won't happen. It's worrying that you're now committing public self flagellation over this too.

GreedyG

Dec 13, 2017
I really hope you're feeling better soon, this really sucks, but your work is appreciated.

Personally I'd love to see you break loose of the Tech Analysis, your 'Best of 2017' video was really interesting & enjoyable despite not really being technical. I think your tastes reflect a relatively un-represented part of the community.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
John, you do an amazing job. Your videos are professional and you always make it clear with your phrasing when uncertain.

The vast majority of us love the work you do and I get excited every time I see a new DF video posted as they're always worth my time. Please don't stop doing what you're doing just because of a few grumpy bastards on here who will never be pleased.
I appreciate this and all the other nice comments, no doubt.

I suppose it's pretty clear from various posts over the past few months that I haven't been feeling well, though. Super severe health anxiety and, I suppose, general anxiety as well. So my responses aren't always logical.

In this case, it's one of those things where I poured so much time in trying to get the resolution right that it really hurts to see that I missed it. I already suffer from pretty severe impostor syndrome on top of everything. I'm not an expert but I'm working to make interesting things because it's something I generally enjoy.

There are so many videos I have on the back-burner that I'm dying to make but finding the time and energy to do them is proving so difficult right now. The Retro stuff is my real passion but it's so hard to keep up even though it's what I want to be doing the most!

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Unpopular opinion time.

I'm a big fan of developers employing real time dynamic resolution changes. It helps maintain performance, I would rather the game drop some resolution during action instead of dropping to 20~25 frames per second for a consistent chunk.

A 10~20% reduction in resolution is less notable than a 10~20% reduction in performance, especially for games already targeting 30 FPS.

That's not an unpopular opinion lol.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think any reasonable person would feel misled even if it isn't pegged at 4K 100% of the time. You provide a service for consumers after all, and that's the bar you should hold yourself to. You made a mistake that's worth learning from for the future, but nobody worth your time is going to throw a fit over this. If this is actually the case, update the article explaining it and move on to bigger and better things.

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
You're wrong, though, the bullying is awful. You may not see it here but the messages and other BS I have to deal with make me wonder why I even bother.
John, pal, why don't you quit Twitter and every "direct contact" channels? You're obviously very good with tech so you can dedicate yourself to that and leave the "PR" to others.

It aint worth it to kill yourself by the day for videogames tbh