• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Rx 580 / Gtx 1060 redeemed then? In the context of the X seeming to punch above them originally.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Just to give you an idea. Our top ten videos of 2018 include four DF Retro videos (PS3 E3, Doom, MGS2 and Halo 2 E3), a video on Crysis, a feature on God of War and one on Shadow of the Colossus, a video on anti-aliasing and a look at Fortnite on iPhone. The last would be the Monster Hunter World analysis which is the only one in the list that could be used to fuel console warriors. I'm pretty excited to see that it's changing in this way.

No wonder.

They are utterly fantastic. Even the one's for games which don't personally interest me (Secret of Mana for example) are fun to watch for their informative and historical relevance.

The Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 videos are some of my favorite youtube content of all time. It's rare to see someone in a position of producing media content talk as candidly about Silent Hill 2, a game which I absolutely adore.

Deleted member 26104

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
John you must know that no one is attacking you personally. People have an expectation that DF must be perfect and that's because it is used as fuel for console war BS. They don't understand that an analysis doesn't have to be perfect.

If I can offer some kind of constructive criticism, it would be to use less absolutest terms in titles and videos. Saying something is "masterclass in graphics" or whatever is only making things worse in that any small mistake is used to discredit everything. Every E3 is going to have a DF video saying something is amazing throughout a generation and it comes across as advertising for specific games rather than critical analysis. DF shouldn't try and have its cake and eat it, viewers either know its a scientific opinion from a method or the opinion of the individuals that make videos from DF... Currently you do both.
This would be my only criticism too, and something that I've noticed them move more and more towards - not just being factual analysis of game tech, but being more and more opinion based and letting feelings into it. Sometimes it definitely does feel console war-y. That's fine, more power to them if they want to go that way, but I've stopped watching because that's not why I watched their videos or read their articles in the first place.

Dark1X, hope you get your head and health back in the right place. Everyone makes mistakes, acknowledge it, learn from it, and leave it behind. As above, maybe try using less definitive wording for resolution, always putting an asterisk and linking to all screens that you counted, even if it's 100. You'll always get grief and abuse from idiots though unfortunately.

OP
OP
Talus

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I've worked myself to death trying to do the best content. I put in so much so errors like this make me want to just quit everything. It's literally going to haunt me for days now. People don't care about you getting it right 99% or the time. You make one mistake and everyone wants to tear you down and since I'm so depressed right now I'm not sure I can take the impact.

You DO put out the best content John. I look forward to your content specifically most of all. I honestly don't care if any person or site gets some numbers wrong sometimes. You don't have code access and you also can't spend forever working on one thing to check ALL instances of it being a specific resolution or what-have-you. I always take all of this information as very educated guesses.. and I think I can speak for most people that if it's something that can fool you guys into making mistakes, then it's really not something anyone would notice during gameplay. If some other comparison comes out later and provides different results... that's fine.

I really hope you won't be so hard on yourself.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I think beyond the accuracy of the findings, it comes into question the value of the analysis itself.

If people can't even see when a game isn't native, is IQ beyond the point where its worth debating?

For a while now these results have been technologically ambiguous, RE7 was a notable one.

Does it matter what exactly Nier Automata's frame buffer is doing? Maybe simply showing the versions, pointing out clarity plus artifacts versus the less sharp Pro version or whatever is sufficient.

This obsession with native 4k is frankly absurd, people simply can't tell in practical situations. And next gen it'll be wholly pointless, the few remaining shimmers of sub-pixel geometry and things will be gone.

DF Retro is super cool, but face offs? We know, it goes XBO < PS4 < Pro < X < PC. You have to look really hard to find an example where that isn't the case, and even then, the amount of people who can even tell are minimal.

Last gen it was a fight, mostly favouring 360 until nearer the end with Metro, GTAV, Bio Infinite, etc. It served a meaningful consumer service, even if it was mostly used for console war fodder. That's not really the case now.

I think it'd be great to see DF double down on the technological aspects of game development with the development teams, much like No Clip is doing for game development as a whole. Deep dives into PBR and photogrammetry, etc.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think beyond the accuracy of the findings, it comes into question the value of the analysis itself.

If people can't even see when a game isn't native, is IQ beyond the point where its worth debating?

For a while now these results have been technologically ambiguous, RE7 was a notable one.

Does it matter what exactly Nier Automata's frame buffer is doing? Maybe simply showing the versions, pointing out clarity plus artifacts versus the less sharp Pro version or whatever is sufficient.

This obsession with native 4k is frankly absurd, people simply can't tell in practical situations. And next gen it'll be wholly pointless, the few remaining shimmers of sub-pixel geometry and things will be gone.

DF Retro is super cool, but face offs? We know, it goes XBO < PS4 < Pro < X < PC. You have to look really hard to find an example where that isn't the case, and even then, the amount of people who can even tell are minimal.

Last gen it was a fight, mostly favouring 360 until nearer the end with Metro, GTAV, Bio Infinite, etc. It served a meaningful consumer service, even if it was mostly used for console war fodder. That's not really the case now.

I think it'd be great to see DF double down on the technological aspects of game development with the development teams, much like No Clip is doing for game development as a whole. Deep dives into PBR and photogrammetry, etc.
Did you check out the video I did for OnRush? That's what I want to do more of.