• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017

According to VG Tech: (in the description)

The versions tested were 1.07 on both Playstation 4 systems and 1.1.267.164 on both Xbox One systems.
  • PS4 uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest resolution found being approximately 1792x1008 and the highest resolution found being 1920x1080.
  • PS4 Pro uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest resolution found being approximately 2432x1368 and the highest resolution found being 2880x1620, and this is downsampled when outputting at 1080p.
  • Xbox One uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest resolution found being 960x1080 and the highest resolution found being 1440x1080.
  • Xbox One X uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest resolution found being approximately 3136x1764 and the highest resolution found being 3840x2160.
  • All four consoles often render at or near their maximum resolution, but the base PS4 in particular rarely ever deviates from its 1920x1080 peak resolution. Xbox One X does appear to stick closer to its maximum resolution, on average, than PS4 Pro does.
  • Edit: A lower count of 2368x1332 was found on the PS4 Pro.

So that's in contrast compared to what DF has found, which said it was fixed resolution on all consoles.

VG Tech (also in the description) releases their stats, and the images they used for pixel counting for anyone to check and analyze.

gates2

Banned
Jun 3, 2018
The fact nobody was able to tell the one X version being not 4K native should tell you enough, it looks excellent and nobody can tell from a safe tv viewing distance.

I will throw a fit if next gen focusses of native 4K

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
X's highest resolution is a 77% increase on Pro's highest resolution. Holds it more often than Pro.

Even X's lowest resolution is a 19% increase on Pro's highest resolution.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its hard to say whether it was patched in. A dynamic res that sticks to the upper limit more often than not, is quite hard to distinguish.

Either way, its a good find by VG.

It also shows that these tests don't really stand up to high standards and can only be taken as is. We have a "problem" so to say for almost every game that receives patches after launch. TW3 was an exception that it was tested several times but usually games get tested once and that's it.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
4k dynamic especially in that range is definitely the way to go for the rest of this gen and even the next gen.

Or at least give it as an option.

Frostman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great Britain
It also shows that these tests don't really stand up to high standards and can only be taken as is. We have a "problem" so to say for almost every game that receives patches after launch. TW3 was an exception that it was tested several times but usually games get tested once and that's it.
Yeah, I agree. The problem then comes from time and resources (for DF and VG etc). Big games like TW3, that happen to also have a lot of problems at launch make for an easier argument to re-test, compared to say Farcry 5. Which by all accounts was solid on release.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Conspiracy Theory
Much better and in depth analysis than digital foundry

I used to be a big fan of DF, but even since they made that fake video trying to damage control Far cry 5 downgrade i trust them less and less

Last edited:

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
4k dynamic especially in that range is definitely the way to go for the rest of this gen and even the next gen.

Or at least give it as an option.
Indeed I'd rather the resolution dip slightly rather than the framerate, but obviously in a perfect world I'd prefer neither to dip! Nothing beats that full crisp native 4K. But that's where high end PCs come in to play.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Digital Foundry has missed dynamic resolutions on a number of occasions before, it's an easy mistake to make. VG Tech is just exceptionally thorough in this regard and it's really impressive.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Huh, how did DF miss this? really good TAA hiding it? XBX is pretty powerful, so i wasn't surprised it was 4K/30fps, but Dynamic 4K to keep a rock solid 30 sounds more real.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I used to be a big fan of DF, but even since they made that fake video trying to damage Far cry 5 downgrade i trust them less and less

I think it's a side effect of choosing to make more videos on youtube. I can understand that, they need to reach as many people as possible with their content to make money and I enjoy their content (while sometimes I don't, for example the interview about CP2077) but at the same time, I really like what VG Tech does. No voice overs, just the actual scenes and comprehensive stats on Google docs to share. The pixel counting with references also make this more like a "scientific" approach than what others offer. And in the end, they are really the only ones that care about BC games on Xbox One - we still didn't get the promised video from DF when it comes to BC, sadly. So if you are interested in performance from these games, vgtech is your number one source.
But in the end both complement each other and I don't want anyone to leave the space of analyzing games.

Last edited:

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry has missed dynamic resolutions on a number of occasions before, it's an easy mistake to make. VG Tech is just exceptionally thorough in this regard and it's really impressive.
Or maybe this was introduced in a patch after the menu frame tearing issue? I mean this is a really late analysis.

This is not to say his work is not impressive, it is, but these things aren't always black and white.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a side effect of choosing to make more videos on youtube. I can understand that, they need to reach as many people as possible with their content to make money and I enjoy their content (while sometimes I don't, for example the interview about CP2077) but at the same time, I really like what @vgtech does. No voice overs, just the actual scenes and comprehensive stats on Google docs to share. The pixel counting with references also make this more like a "scientific" approach than what others offer. And in the end, they are really the only ones that care about BC games on Xbox One - we still didn't get the promised video from DF when it comes to BC, sadly. So if you are interested in performance from these games, vgtech is your number one source.
But in the end both complement each other and I don't want anyone to leave the space of analyzing games.

VGtech isnt getting enough recogniztion imo. Nothing to downplay DF or NXGamer. They do awesome job also.
But VGtech always does a great job. Gives the screens for pixel counting also. And a full stats page. And like you said VGtech is very solid and really the only one that does BC games, Not only the big ones.
Give that channel a follow people.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vgtech

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Or maybe this was introduced in a patch after the menu frame tearing issue? I mean this is a really late analysis.

This is not to say his work is not impressive, it is, but these things aren't always black and white.
The game didn't have frame rate issues prior to now so this is unlikely, it's likely it was simply missed. Resolution adjustments can be incredibly hard to notice and count especially with aggressive TAA like in Far Cry 5.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
DF constantly makes mistakes, it's nothing new. That said, this is difficult to notice.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Probably just goes to show just how good the game looks. I mean on the Pro it's probably in the top 5 best looking games this generation for me, can't imagine what it's like on the X.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Really enjoyed the high resolution on the X in this game. There were several instances where scouting or sniping when I would get up from the couch and stand really close to the screen to line up a shot and I was surprised at how much detail was there. First time I've had the hardware upgrade actually impact gameplay

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Huh, how did DF miss this? really good TAA hiding it? XBX is pretty powerful, so i wasn't surprised it was 4K/30fps, but Dynamic 4K to keep a rock solid 30 sounds more real.
TAA is very aggressive. Furthermore it's not like it drops regularly. DF is not infallible. Said that, I don't believed for a second it's was locked 4k, especially knowing Ubisoft. They are quite smart with such dynamic res.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I think its just a patch that added it. I mean i find it hard to believe DF missed some dynamic stuff in all the versions.
I remember there was some talk that after a patch some performance slow down was happening. Maybe they improved some graphics side of things. That resulted in some slow down and they added dynamic res after that.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
Maybe its me but I never spot resolution scaling during games, one of the best changes in tech of the gen.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I think its just a patch that added it. I mean i find it hard to believe DF missed some dynamic stuff in all the versions.
I remember there was some talk that after a patch some performance slow down was happening. Maybe they improved some graphics side of things. That resulted in some slow down and they added dynamic res after that.
There is no dynamic res in the PC version like AC:O. they also may have lead DF to believing it wasn't on Consoles either.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this was added during a later patch. I counted a number of screenshots I took and they were all native 4K. The fact that performance looks to be improved for the standard XBO supports the theory that this was added in a later patch.

Not that this is a big deal, the game still looks and runs great.

I used to be a big fan of DF, but even since they made that fake video trying to damage Far cry 5 downgrade i trust them less and less

I don't know what you're talking about but let's not turn this topic into a shit on DF thread.

VG Tech

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that the dynamic resolution on consoles was added in a patch as version 1.00 on PS4 Pro uses a dynamic resolution maxing out at 2880x1620. I haven't checked the game unpatched on the other consoles yet though.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I think devs found some rough frame-rate areas in the game, and then they released a stealth patch to fix frame-rate by making resolution dynamic to maintain locked 30, but graphics ninjas caught them lol.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
You should probably clarify this statement.

some youtubers made a video comparison between far cry 5 vs the previous instalments in the series where it clearly shows how far cry 5 was downgraded compared to past games in every way except for the graphics

then immediately after the video went viral DF released a video trying to damage control the downgrade

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
some youtubers made a video comparison between far cry 5 vs the previous instalments in the series where it clearly shows how far cry 5 was downgraded compared to past games in every way except for the graphics

then immediately after the video went viral DF released a video trying to damage control the downgrade

thats not damage control, thats offering a different perspective. pleaes dont tell me that crowbcat isnt biased as fuck. OLD GAME GOOD NEW GAME BAD

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
So what's the foul here? Are we discrediting DF? They said the AA solution made it hard to pixel count and it still comes very close That I think we can let it slide.

Oct 25, 2017

So, as expected, your original post is BS. Thanks for making that clear.