• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Before sonic, sega had a great mascot called opa opa, now my older brother used to talk about this game and once when I was playing shenmue I got an opa opa on a candy ball.

I really think sega should give us a PS4 sequel I've seen playthroughs of the game and it's awesome.

So was this game forgotten?

At least golden axe got a ps3 game.
Does anyone know if Christian whitehead would be up for the task, has he ever talked about FZ?

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
Wholly smokes, I had it stuck all day in my head.

Erasera, we have a wizard in this forum!

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
There's ports of the first 2 games on 3DS (and the 2nd game's port is a remake of the Master System original, remade on the original arcade hardware with a new dark/light alliance mechanic!). They add new modes and stuff too, including a ridiculously addictive score attack mode in Fantasy Zone 2. They're by M2, hence they're incredibly good; essentially it's the Taxman treatment for Fantasy Zone. Even has widescreen if I recall.

Fantasy Zone also shows up in Yakuza 0 as a playable game, which was a pleasant surprise!

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Please_let_this_be_Space_Harrier__please_let_this_be_Space_Harrier_.jpg

Sorry OP this is the extent of my knowledge on the series.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5148

Oct 25, 2017
There's ports of the first 2 games on 3DS (and the 2nd game's port is a remake of the Master System original, remade on the original arcade hardware with a new dark/light alliance mechanic!). They add new modes and stuff too, including a ridiculously addictive score attack mode in Fantasy Zone 2. They're by M2, hence they're incredibly good; essentially it's the Taxman treatment for Fantasy Zone. Even has widescreen if I recall.

Fantasy Zone also shows up in Yakuza 0 as a playable game, which was a pleasant surprise!

I wouldn't mind some opa opa love on the swith

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
There are dozens of us!

Super Fantasy Zone is one of the Mega Drive games I return to the most. I like Sunsoft's takes on the classic boss themes, and they sound great on the Mega Drive sound chip.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sega may have forgotten but I haven't. Love Fantasy Zone. M2 did it right with the 3D version on the 3DS.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Before sonic, sega had a great mascot called opa opa,

They never really used him as a mascot, you're probably getting him mixed up with Alex Kidd.
Akidd-sprite.png

and before Alex Kidd, there was Professor Asobin.
386px-ProfessorAsobin.svg.png

With a brief period where Asobin was swapped with this character, known as "Dr. Games". Who has somehow managed to never show up ever again after his small set of appearances in a couple of SG-1000 game manuals. (Alex Kidd has shown up in a few SEGA Crossover games, while Asobin got a major role in the really good SEGA Fanservice Anime "Hi-sCoool! SeHa Girls")
Gb3ckGR.png

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not.

Every time Data Discs teases a new release I hope that it's the System 16 version of Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa. Also, Animal Crossing is the only thing on the 3DS that I put more time into than Link Loop Land.

Last edited:

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really trust reboots of 8/16-bit era titles, to be honest. If they made a 2.5D Fantasy Zone downloadable title, I'd be really cautious about it until the general consensus said otherwise. Thankfully, Fantasy Zone 1 and 2 are still solid games that are worth revisiting. The 3DS re-releases are an incredible way of experiencing them.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly, Fantasy Zone is one of the first franchises that I think about whenever I envision the "perfect" new Sega console. Fantasy Zone is such a cool concept for a shooter game. I'd love to see it taken even further.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Similarly: while I know of Fantasy Zone the game, when I hear the name all I really think about is Space Harrier...

Same here. I appreciate Fantasy Zone for what it is, but it never clicked for me. I mean, neither did space Harrier, but at least it has the abstract visuals & legendary theme song to keep it stuck in my memory.