• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And my physical disk was region 2. So it means my save is region 2. I bought the rise on psn from Europe which is region 2 .it does not recognise my save file . This is the first time I m having this issue(I have done this for 10 other games perfectly fine ) Can anyone please help. Why the fuck the save WON'T work? Sold my physical copy few months back and was excited to level up from my last save. Am I doing anything wrong ? I deleted the save file and redownloeded from cloud but it doesn't recognize it and creates a new save file with exact same name .

Help please

Would this be sonys fault or nixes?

Last edited:

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Pretty sure PSN games do not register disc saves and vice versa. I believe it is just how it is on PlayStation I'm afraid!

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digital and physical copies on PlayStation don't have compatible saves. It's dumb as shit but there you go.

EDIT: Apparently not true for all games, but for some of them

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So it's both the saves and the install files that don't register right?
Such as in OP's case, did they have to reinstall the game?

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure PSN games do not register disc saves and vice versa. I believe it is just how it is on PlayStation I'm afraid!
You've had digital saves work with physical games and vice versa on PlayStation?

it depends on the game actually, last gen it was Ubisoft and Sony games that would make a new save on digital and physical versions while stuff like catherine and EA games i could load my save up when i booted up both the digital and physical versions

Oct 27, 2017
PSN views digital and physical games as two separate entities. :(

I haven't tried in a few months but everytime I would "upgrade my physical copy of a game to digital I had to completely uninstall and then download the new digital copy. The dumbest thing I've ever seen on a game service.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
It's a problem with certain games. Quick Google search says Witcher 3 has the problem.

OP
OP
Gamer17

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Happens with some games sadly. Not much you can do about it I'm afraid. Sorry.
Fuck man . This is Bullshit. Thanks anyways . Sony really needs to look into this . Some peope like me buy physical on release .sell the game and rebuy later on digital. There should be no compatability issues as long as regions are correct

OP
OP
Gamer17

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PSN views digital and physical games as two separate entities. :(

I haven't tried in a few months but everytime I would "upgrade my physical copy of a game to digital I had to completely uninstall and then download the new digital copy. The dumbest thing I've ever seen on a game service.
Thats a different issue. But my issue is that my physical game save file for same game from same region doesn' work for digital version which is dumb as fuck

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
And my physical disk was region 2. So it means my save is region 2. I bought the rise on psn from Europe which is region 2 .it does not recognise my save file . This is the first time I m having this issue. Can anyone please help. Why the fuck the save WON'T work? Sold my physical copy few months back and was excited to level up from my last save. Am I doing anything wrong ? I deleted the save file and redownloeded from cloud but it doesn't recognize it and creates a new save file with exact same name .

Help please
CUSA code was identical ?

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
You've had digital saves work with physical games and vice versa on PlayStation?
I've also shipped them this way - but yes, I've yet to encounter a title where this doesn't work that way (and I've had a few).

The only way I could see this happen is if digital and disc version being made into explicitly different SKUs. Which is something I suppose Sony could refuse, but it very much looks like a publisher/dev choice(mistake?) when it happens.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I had this problem with Burnout Paradise way back. Had i physical, sold it, bought it again from the store and i had to start from scratch. Though this was on PS3, it's still weird that it doesn't work with some games today even, apparently.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I was just thinking about if physical and digital savegames are compatible because I played my PS+ copy of Transformers Devastation while also owning it on disc. What a coincidence.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox is way better at this sort of thing. Really pisses me off when games I own discs of come to PS+ and I can't just use my new digital license with my existing install to save me from having to put in the disc.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
So all game services to date? Considering this never (and still doesn't) worked on PC, and prior to this gen no console had default installs, we're basically just talking about XB1 as the "not" dumbest one?

OP
OP
Gamer17

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Xbox is way better at this sort of thing. Really pisses me off when games I own discs of come to PS+ and I can't just use my new digital license with my existing install to save me from having to put in the disc.
For sure .sony really needs to improve on this . Why the fuck lock saves to physical copy and not be able to use it for digital OF SAME GAME,SAME REGION. Very strange and stupid to be honest

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Some games don't share the same savefile between digital and physical.
It's screwed me with Dragon Age Inquisition, when I rebought the GOTY edition to play through the DLC. They really should make it clear.

OP
OP
Gamer17

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some games don't share the same savefile between digital and physical.
It's screwed me with Dragon Age Inquisition, when I rebought the GOTY edition to play through the DLC. They really should make it clear.
But my issue is one step worse .it' the same game from same region. No GOTY or complete edition .weird

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Yeah, this is not a problem on Xbox or Switch. Not sure why it is on PS4.

It's because Xbox One basically has two regions: China and Rest of World. There is also no difference between digital or physical on Xbox One.

On the PlayStation 4 games still have regions, even if the region is ignored on playback. This is why you see DLC compatibility issues. Physical and digital are also treated as different installs.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
For sure .any really needs to improve on this . Why the fuck lock saves to physical copy and not be able to use it for digital OF SAME GAME,SAME REGION. Very strange and stupid to be honest

Feels like a hangover from the PS3 days. I really wish Sony had figured out digital licensing and title IDs for the PS4.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I had this problem with LittleBigPlanet 3. My disk version is from the UK and the game was part of PS Plus one month, which was the EU version.

The save was incompatible so I couldn't access any of my unlocked costume data or my saved levels and assets.

OP
OP
Gamer17

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If they actually separated the SKU codes - I would guess no. But again - if that's what they did it's 99% that it was intentional on developer part to begin with.
Fuck . I m not spending another 24 hours to level up for rise again. Guess it' my loss .Sony better fucking improve this shit for next gen.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
This exact problem happened with my brother with Horizon Zero Dawn. It was bought from the same retailer, Amazon, and yet it was a different region copy despite being from Europe. It sucks bad since he was 21 hours in.

OP
OP
Gamer17

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I had this problem with LittleBigPlanet 3. My disk version is from the UK and the game was part of PS Plus one month, which was the EU version.

The save was incompatible so I couldn't access any of my unlocked costume data or my saved levels and assets.
So what do you suggest ?just give up I guess right ?

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you have PS+, did you try uploading the save then downloading it after deleting the physical copy data?

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
For sure .any really needs to improve on this . Why the fuck lock saves to physical copy and not be able to use it for digital OF SAME GAME,SAME REGION. Very strange and stupid to be honest
You don't know, check CUSA code as I said. That could be the begin of an answer for your incompatible save problem.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
But my issue is one step worse .it' the same game from same region. No GOTY or complete edition .weird

Seems weird they would have separate sku codes for physical and digital for same region, same version. You may have to dig a little deeper to see what the issue is, can't honestly say I've run into the issue as I don't buy discs.