• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think?

• A fool and his money

Votes: 773 47.8%
  • Lesson learned

Votes: 424 26.2%
  • I would have done the same

Votes: 36 2.2%
  • 🤦‍♂️

Votes: 383 23.7%

• Total voters

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Empty plastic boxes, no manual, no attractive box spines to display. The only reason I'd ever go physical for a Switch game is if it was wildly cheaper.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I've done this before a few times. The selling and regretting part I mean, I never bought them back.
The regret I feel is really just jealousy though from when I see people with huge shelves full of games.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
I sold an enormous collection of physical games and my only regret is that I didn't wait a couple years longer to better capitalize off the retro collecting boom. I don't need this stuff lying around, there just isn't enough value in the little plastic husks that pass for retail games at this point. Keeping a couple of the very best old school physical games, that came with really wonderful packaging and extras, is special. Having a DVD case with a little slip of paper in it at best is pointless.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Serious question: Can I sell my Switch +100 digital games easily? I'm not going to do this, but I bought too much stuff I'll never play and am considering it.

Lemrik

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I´m almost 100% physical on Switch because I sell games when I´m done.
The days of collecting stuff are over and i never really replay games (just some 2D-platformers).

I´m only digital for multiplayer stuff like Smash, Mario Kart or Animal Crossing for short play sessions.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I threw all my psyasical games in the garbage like a year ago, have been digital only mich longer than that. No regrets

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
The less prevalent physical becomes the more people are going to miss it. In all aspects of life, not just media.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably split 50/50 on games but I'm happy to have my movie collection physically.. so I guess I'm saying I don't necessarily blame you OP.

I think there is an importance to owning things/art but understand why some don't really care.

Coztoomba

Oct 28, 2017
I started all physical with switch but changed to digital. Almost all the evergreen titles I've bought when they're on digital sale and traded in. I've kept a few boxes and double dipped for games I really care about, Zelda's, Wonderboy, Golf Story anything with a nice steel book like Luigi's Mansion. I defiantly don't miss changing carts.

I do appreciate physical media. but in todays world of day 1 patches and online check it's not worth keeping around like it used to be. 3DS was the last system I cared about.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Good for you OP.

I was surprised to find out Hades doesn't even have a physical version sigh

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
DWiqNJx.jpg

🤦‍♂️

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Digital comfort is what made me abandon physical. Would never go back.
"only downside", I fear that in the future I will lose the possibility to play these games on the original hardware... but probably we will have emulators for these or some sort of way to play them anyway.
All digital forever.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Very strange. Let it go.
Maybe it's good to start a change to digital by hiding away all game cases so you can get a feel of it...
But man, this is OCD. I know the feeling :/

Physical media is bad for the environment. Someone might steal it etc.
But when it comes to Nintendo we dont know if they will continue to support our digital libraries on future devices so I would provably get physical copies for the big titles.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Digital comfort is what made me abandon physical. Would never go back.
"only downside", I fear that in the future I will lose the possibility to play these games on the original hardware... but probably we will have emulators for these or some sort of way to play them anyway.
All digital forever.
Emulators will usually save the day. It might be an challenge to get a Switch battery someday in the future. Unless Nintendo decides to make a TV-only console without any battery. And let's not forget Nintendo's nasty habit of selling expensive old versions of games for new consoles.

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
All the digital-only people in this thread make me irrationally angry and I have blocked this thread, just wanted to let you know that you guys can really ruin someones day.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I certainly won't be selling my PS4 collection as I have lots of games and as a result I will need to get the disc version of the PS5 when I get one....but I have recently decided that I don't need to get physical versions of every PS5 game next gen.I'm just going to get physical for favorite franchises and big releases I'm looking forward to....small steps,lol...I mean,I am old school with this sort of thing,I still buy CD's too!

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I keep picturing somebody swapping out tiny cards on their phone whenever they want to switch between apps.

I am baffled by the preference for physical games overall, but particularly when it comes to a portable console. Except for people who re-sell their games to keep their costs down, which I fully get.

Anyways OP, whatever makes you happy! But this is gonna be an expensive change of heart lol

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I am so glad that I don't have to ever buy a physical game ever again.
This.

I don't miss the lack of space, storing them, the needless clutter, plastic. All so pointless

I had a 400 game collection once and got rid of them all for digital on PS4 half way through last gen. Couldn't be happier with my digital PS5.

Each to their own but I have stopped being a materialist over the years. Books? Gone to Kindle. Music was first to go digital. Film collection? Gone, games, digital. The amount of space it brought me and just generally found myself happier with less.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
So, small update.

In Black Friday, I repurchased a lot of games. I immediately got buyer's remorse, and I was able to sold the games (for a small profit!). But now I have a new plan...

How does this sound? Keep buying digital games, but going to GameStop and using eBay and Facebook Marketplace to purchase empty boxes with artwork? That way I could have the superior digital format, but a physical box to display on my shelf.

Sounds like a plan?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So, small update.

In Black Friday, I repurchased a lot of games. I immediately got buyer's remorse, and I was able to sold the games (for a small profit!). But now I have a new plan...

How does this sound? Keep buying digital games, but going to GameStop and using eBay and Facebook Marketplace to purchase empty boxes with artwork? That way I could have the superior digital format, but a physical box to display on my shelf.

Sounds like a plan?
Why lol.

Just get into gaming art books. Much more attractive than plastic red boxes. I don't get you physical dudes.

I get the appeal of true ownership, but not shelves of games, they look horrible in most homes.

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
i got a 512gb card and im trying to get rid of my physical collection. all that game switching is for the birds.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
With how much FOMO exists and the lack of consistent printing for several Japanese Switch games, I've stuck with buying Switch games physical. Especially with how expensive they become. Like right now, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is now 169 CAD +tax or some dumb shit like that if I check on Amazon.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Your best bet, and what I do, is buy what's cheapest.

So most of my games are used, and physical. I have a few digital titles that are either hard to get physically or I play between other games enough that it warrants not wanting to change cartridges.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
The latest games I purchased digitally are The Origami King, Super Mario 3D World, and Mario 3D All-Stars...

I couldn't avoid it. Digital is just too convenient.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I still can't give up my ability to resell my games, especially with Nintendo's software retaining their value.

I've got a box full of 3DS games that I'll likely break even on when it's all said and done since I bought a large quantity of 'em on sale in the first place.

Last edited:

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
So, small update.

Sounds like a plan?
You're losing money. Just go all in digital. Forget the physical copies. The PS6/Xbox whatever next gen is called very likely won't have disk drives anyways. You initially made this topic due to the convenance of digital, anyways. Why would you want to go back to grabbing the boxes and inserting the disks?

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Why not just get the next game releases physically and leave it at that?

I'm not above questionable rebuys. I liked P4G digital so much I bought it physical but that was one of all-time favourites, at a low cost with half an eye on future value.

So if for instance BotW is your GOAT I'd get rebuying that but I don't see the point for every game especially the likes of Mario Maker, Splatoon or anything else largely needing active servers to make the most of.
If you love a game but already bought it you also have the option to support the devs by gifting it to a friend.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
If you have tons of money - you do you.

If doing this dips into savings/makes things tight financially, you should wait and maybe talk to somebody about it irl.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
You're losing money. Just go all in digital. Forget the physical copies. The PS6/Xbox whatever next gen is called very likely won't have disk drives anyways. You initially made this topic due to the convenance of digital, anyways. Why would you want to go back to grabbing the boxes and inserting the disks?
No. I think you misread.

At first I regretted going digital (hence this thread), and that's why I repurchased the games, but then I sold them again (and actually made a small profit).
The latest games I purchased were The Origami King, Super Mario 3D World, and Mario 3D All-Stars and I purchased them digitally, cementing my decision to stick with digital going forward.

Oct 27, 2017
So, small update.

Sounds like a plan?
You should keep yourself busy with the stock market or something. Instead of buying empty boxes to hold, you buy stocks to hold.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
When I sell a game to buy digital, I usually just keep the box if I'm selling to GameStop or if there's not much difference in price on eBay.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Not for me. Digital on my switch is a must since I am primary playing it as a hand held. I like having all my games with me if I take the system anywhere.