• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I keep my dad and his racist ass shit away from my kids. He doesn't even care, thats how far gone he is. Chooses his messed up beliefs over his grandchildren.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
i think the problem is the word racist and racism has been redefined and that the word doesn't mean the same thing today as it did during the 60's.

I hate that people are allowed to get away with posting stuff like this then abandoning the thread without backing their shit up.

Mighty Chin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude during the Houston Shootings my Step-Grandmother who lives in Arizona too offense to my pro BLM and anti-Trump opinions. She went so far to say "I hope I feel the pain of losing a child by some thug", I said to her "Did you just wish death upon your Great Grandson?" . Mind you I've never been close to this woman or my Grandfather who passed 20 years earlier. My other family and friends were aghast. She persisted telling me that if my Grandfather was alive today he would set me straight on the real world! I said "oh the Grandfather that was a philanderer, drunk and a non-existent Father to my mother, who I met maybe 5 times in my life?". Still she proceeded, I ended it by saying "Fuck Off Grandma, ya old bag".

She still follows me on FB.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
For real options, I'd recommend one of two:

Start researching and throwing facts and data about every falsehood and poor decision they make. Dispute each instance nonsense they post with sources, real ones.

or

Tell them you're going to have to stop talking with them until they start using facts instead of feelings and fear to make decisions. Then stop talking to them.

While it might be hard, being family is not be a free pass for being bad people, nor should it be a reason for you to tolerate them. The first option takes more of your personal time, will, and potentially sanity, but if the relationship with them is important to you, it might be the only option. It also might lead them to change their minds.

The second option will be harder on you at the start, but much less stressful longterm. It also will leave them to continue their ways.

OP
OP
whitehawk

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
For real options, I'd recommend one of two:

Start researching and throwing facts and data about every falsehood and poor decision they make. Dispute each instance nonsense they post with sources, real ones.

or

Tell them you're going to have to stop talking with them until they start using facts instead of feelings and fear to make decisions. Then stop talking to them.

While it might be hard, being family is not be a free pass for being bad people, nor should it be a reason for you to tolerate them. The first option takes more of your personal time, will, and potentially sanity, but if the relationship with them is important to you, it might be the only option. It also might lead them to change their minds.

The second option will be harder on you at the start, but much less stressful longterm. It also will leave them to continue their ways.
I want to do the first but the second might be better for me.

My cousin's joked about buying more bump stocks after Vegas smh

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Not my immediate family, but my family that lives in Florida (I'm Canadian) and a few others.

They voted for Trump in 2016, and probably will again in 2020. I've never agreed with them politically, but we always got along as family.

But tonight on our whatsapp group chat, we were talking about the recent shooting, which eventually led to my uncle bringing up some racist stats, and then it just got worse...

Not sure what to think. Like, it's bad enough I can confidently say they are racist. They just don't know it themselves; therein lies the problem today.
Are you sure they dont know they are racist? Seems like a pretty odd thing to not know

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See that I can't agree with. My Dad voted for Trump because he's is a hard line conservative. He's certainly not a racist, ignorant absolutely, but he doesn't have a malicious bone in his body.

Everyone votes for different reasons, I don't believe that all conservatives are mustache twirling Nazis. A lot of their beliefs are abhorrent but think for most it comes from ignorance and too much Fox News.

That doesn't justify their beliefs but I refuse to accept that every last Republican votes out of a malevolent hatred for minorities.
You keep telling yourself that.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
You keep telling yourself that.
How about you answer that question with a little more tact and detail instead of a drive by post? I live by the belief to never stereotype a group of people and try to the best of my ability to judge on an individual basis. I'm not going to compromise that belief just because some shit heads on Twitter love to make asses of themselves.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My immediate family is all Trump supporters and Republicans. My dad is a "classical fiscal conservative" who has slowly turned into an ignorant-ass racist. One of my brothers is a MAGA hat-wearing dyed in the wool Trumper from day one of the campaign in 2015. One of my teenage brothers is an antisocial deeply bigoted Trumper who is probably going to go on a mass shooting someday if I can't get through to him. My other teenage brother likes Trump "for the memes" and is also a bigot because my dad and other brothers reinforce it.

My family fucking sucks and I don't know how to get through to them.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about you answer that question with a little more tact and detail instead of a drive by post? I live by the belief to never stereotype a group of people and try to the best of my ability to judge on an individual basis. I'm not going to compromise that belief just because some shit heads on Twitter love to make asses of themselves.
I was talking about your dad, not you, unless you yourself voted Trump, in that case, you're just as racist as those who outright say abhorrent racist shit too.

Trump has made his stance on Arabs(Muslims), Mexicans and black people pretty damn fucking clear during his campaign, anyone who voted for him was fine with those views and promises.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
Precisely this. Exact quote:

I then tried to point out to them that it's racist to blame black american for a situation that white americans systematically put, and then kept them there.

And then my other uncle...
I've seen indications that such stats are false. Anyone know if there is any comprehensive factual debunking for such claims?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't white on white crime around 87%?

Because you shoot people you live next to.
In this instance the claim isn't "black on black crime is greater than white/cop on black crime" which is the Blue Lives Matter talking point. It's that, if you removed black on black crime from US murder statistics we'd be in line with the rest of the civilized world.

My brief googling seems to indicate that this isn't true. It's hard to find reasonable-looking sources when you search for "black on black crime," but it looks like about or less than half the US's murders constitute black-on-black crime. Meanwhile, even a naive halving of our murder rate of 4.88/100k (which should underestimate the true "what if we don't count the blacks?" rate, since we'd be counting blacks in the denominator but not the numerator) would still put us well over the rates for Canada (1.68), France (1.58), the UK (0.92), Australia (0.98), etc.

OP, you could ask your racist uncle for a source. But if you wish to proceed, keep in mind that you're not going to convince him, but there might be some others in the group chat that could be swayed.

See that I can't agree with. My Dad voted for Trump because he's is a hard line conservative. He's certainly not a racist, ignorant absolutely, but he doesn't have a malicious bone in his body.

Racism doesn't have to be malicious. Racism by means of ignorance totally counts.[/URL]

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't justify their beliefs but I refuse to accept that every last Republican votes out of a malevolent hatred for minorities.

And you're absolutely right in that belief. But if they are not themselves racist towards minorities then they are still indifferent to their plight and are also guilty of turning a blind eye/enabling racism

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
tumblr_ogg627Q6qj1r0ajmso1_500.gif

tumblr_ogg627Q6qj1r0ajmso2_500.gif
Hasan Minhaj spitting truth.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
And you're absolutely right in that belief. But if they are not themselves racist towards minorities then they are still indifferent to their plight and are also guilty of turning a blind eye/enabling racism

And will absolutely not argue that. I simply believe a vast majority do not realize this or are incredibly naive about the realities of the world. I have a strong belief in education and reform but that can't be done if you're going just going to call them racist monsters.

It might be naive on my part to believe it will work but damn it, I'm still going to try. It's better than giving up on those that can potentially change.

Oct 26, 2017
Then, at the least they don't care about other people on this planet. Voting Trump (even GOP) shows you have no empathy for anything/one else.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
And will absolutely not argue that. I simply believe a vast majority do not realize this or are incredibly naive about the realities of the world. I have a strong belief in education and reform but that can't be done if you're going just going to call them racist monsters.

It might be naive on my part to believe it will work but damn it, I'm still going to try. It's better than giving up on those that can potentially change.
Being racist is different from being a racist monster. Nor is calling someone a racist a call to "give up". It's a statement of displayed behavior. And we are where we are today as a culture by the efforts of marginalized groups to change the culture around them. People who literally endured mental/emotional scars, physical injuries and death in the face of opposition to drag along racists kicking and screaming into more and more progressive eras rather than the actual naive belief that everyone can be changed as long as you never call their behavior out for what it is and that it's the duty of the persecuted to pamper bigots into believing in the humanity of the oppressed.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Everyone votes for different reasons, I don't believe that all conservatives are mustache twirling Nazis. A lot of their beliefs are abhorrent but think for most it comes from ignorance and too much Fox News.

Fair enough.

I'll take this to heart and amend my thinking!

Redowl

Oct 30, 2017
New York City
I am black latino and my dad, who is darker than me(Self-hate runs deep in the Dominican Rep), says some of the vilest shit ever sometimes. Even he wouldn't vote for Trump, though. So you can be racist and still not vote for Trump. My mom isn't as bad.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I don't really know any racist people, but in the past when distant relatives have said some backwards shit I just openly mocked them for it. I respect all you who have the patience to try and engage these dumbshits with sourced arguments and all that.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Florida. Florida. Yep. All of my family in Florida all hands on deck for trump. So glad I left there
And a frequent mistake is people continuing to imply only certain parts of the US is an issue on topics like these. It's not just Florida or Texas or the south. It's everywhere. California, NY, MA, OH, all 50 states.