• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Pathologic-2.jpg

So I'm right now very immersed into the world of Pathologic 2, which is the newest game by Ice Pick Lodge, a avant-garde game developer from Russia who's also made games in the past such as The Void, Knock-Knock, Cargo!, and of course, the original Pathologic from 2005.Their games are huge love it/hate it games which are not easily accessible to the average consumer, often being games of purposeful challenge and contesting game design to experiment with a type of game that is not often seen and does not focus on the positive emotions of humans, IE the games are not fun, they're not about being a hero or a power fantasy, they're not even about win states (we'll get back to this point later on). However, they have amassed a cult following over the last 15 years because while there's a huge barrier of entry of acceptance of non-standard and sometimes very frustrating game design behind their games, their mechanics often have a place deeply rooted in the actual themes and the feeling they're going for with the games they craft. Often alongside this these games have amazing stories (like legitimately some of the best stories within the industry), nail their atmospheres and intrigue, and provide an experience unlike anything else of the market because they're daring enough to break what so many consider to be "good" game design.

Now Pathologic 2 doesn't have much mainstream attention yet as it's just released on PC, and as most game coverage sites are primarily focused on the console space and only the PC games that make a scene elsewhere, it'll probably only get a boost in popularity of media coverage once the game hits Xbox One and (possibly) PS4 down the line. There still are a number of reviews that have sprung up, and most of them have been what you can expect. There's been a lot of 6s, 7s & 9s. So for what it is, the game isn't reviewing badly. And maybe this thread is best saved once Pathologic 2 hits the console space.

So why am I making this thread?

Pathologic 2's most notable major outlet review at the time of writing is from Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Pathologic 2: Wot I Think, which has been causing a lot of stirs within the cult audience for the game. Now thankfully this audience while expressing some disappointment haven't gone to attack the author, even though the review chooses some unfortunate choices in passages like comparing the game to Dark Souls to talk about difficulty in games. A lot of people were disappointed since Rock, Paper, Shotgun had a previous writer who wrote an amazing three part analysis "review" of Pathologic which is what got many people to try the original game in the first place.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun doesn't give review scores, but used to. They gave the original game a 6/10, but published this piece from a different writer, the original review writer even writing this about Pathologic to open the piece:
It's a brilliant game that the traditional reviewer has to condemn. This may, to some eyes, show a weakness in traditional reviews and reviewers. But there's always more than tradition.

Quintin then presents a very strong understanding of what Pathologic thematically was about, why the game had to not be fun, what it does right, why it's a game that might not appease most audiences, but why a title that needs to be condemned was so important. Now while obviously different people/writers will have different takes on a game, and what Quintin thinks of Pathologic isn't what everyone on the site will think, there's some disparity from the reader side between the excellent series of articles they published on the original game, and the recent review of the sequel. In big part since a lot of the review of the sequel is spent criticizing the very things that the article understood, which shows a misunderstanding of the game they're playing, and the reviewer even admits they just stopped playing the game about a fourth of the way through the game and wrote their review from that.

This has lead to an interesting effect with this being a niche title in having other reviews from more niche sites talk about this very point, and it being something discussed around the title. One such example is IndieGame.com's review they published today of the game, which their opening passage actually inspired me to make this thread:

As a preface to the review itself, I think it's important that some of the issues regarding Pathologic 2's press reception are addressed. I've found myself going against the grain and looking to pour praise on this crushing, time-consuming behemoth. Many reviewers, it seems, were not willing or able to put enough time into the game to make a fair assessment of its merits and self-awareness. There have been damning reviews from major media outlets, and a general overwhelming resentment due to the game being difficult, obtuse, and allegedly a bit naff.

As much of a peacemaker as it's tempting to be, I can't let this go unchallenged. It highlights a prejudice toward Pathologic based on perceptions of its predecessor and the unusual structure it presents, aversion to a difficulty curve that is, at best, non-linear, and a misunderstanding of the game's intentions.

There's more pieces offering their bit here, but there's something becomes immediately clear when you begin reading the various different outlet opinion pieces on Pathologic 2: Game reviewers are not equipped mostly to deal with a game like Pathologic 2.

Now that might sound a bit pretentious, but funnily enough this was also talked about with the original Pathologic game by reviewers at the time. In fact, the situation with Pathologic 2 so closely mirrors the original game's reception and these comments being passed around, and reviewers looking at each other in how to tackle such an unusual game, that it's interesting 15 years later it still doesn't seem like the scene is ready to review a game like Pathologic.

Pathologic 2, and indeed the original game, are games about failing. That's something that makes Pathologic a really hard to talk about game, because the thing is "Winning" is what universally almost every game is about. And if not about winning, it's often about "Creating your own fun." Pathologic is not fun, and it's not about winning, it's about accepting your failures. The game gives you impossible odds to contest, it shows you information of you failing on screen all the time. One heavy point that people criticize for the game is that your hunger diminishes too quickly, so they constantly had to be finding food. The thing is, if the reviewers had spent more time with the game, they would learn that this is definitely the intent. In video games, we're trained to not let gauges empty out, game UI makes use of gauges to often show progress, and the higher the gauge is, the "better" we are or in EXP, how close we are to the next little victory. Pathologic does the opposite of this, it purposefully distresses the player to make them panic. Many will view your hunger bar diminishing and emptying all the time as a negative, but there's two complicated sides to this:

01. The game wants to stress the player for food, it wants to make the player value food even over your own weapons, so that finding a loaf of bread is more valuable than finding a gun, and that you might actually give up and trade your weapons for a loaf of bread and milk, as was famously cited for the original game even.

02. Though there's a bar that empties and is purposefully trying to stress the player out and make them scourge for food, the penalty for making your hunger bar go empty is actually very lenient. You do lose health when you're hungry, but you lose is at a snail's pace. It does add up especially as healing items are a rarity in Pathologic, and in fact most healing items also have negative effects within the game to other aspects of your character, but when starving if you're on full health you most likely won't die from starvation in a single day. In fact, you're SUPPOSED to be starving, you're in a plague-ridden village which is poor and barely has food that isn't rotting or being stolen by others also struggling for food. Many people get stressed out in a survival game when a "survival" bar empties, and so having hunger reach zero and be such a struggle to maintain is viewed as a negative. But that's assuming the bar is supposed to be full and the game's survival mechanics are failing because it's hard to keep yourself from going hungry. But the game actually WANTS the player to be starving most of the time, to be struggling with food, and in fact most of the game is designed with you starving and losing health really slowly in mind.

Pathologic 2 is a game designed so everything is stacked against you. You have freedom to do as you want, it's one of the only games where the story of the game is not waiting for you. If you miss story, you miss it for good in that run, and the story will continue without you. NPCs will lie and try to scam you for their own benefit. Just because you do something for someone doesn't mean they owe you anything. You are constantly managing various micro systems, while trying to both save people and yourself. Ice Pick Lodge themselves have talked about this being a game about accepting failure, to roll with the punches in a situation that is progressively more and more dire, to simulate a bleak hopelessness of a village dying of plague.

To quote the IndieGame.come's review again:
You are not supposed to win this game. Your fate is sealed, and if you are somehow lucky, thrifty, and ruthless enough to claw your way through all 12 days… well, just look at what you've become. Pathologic is about parables, folklore, and genuine terror. A 'creeping sense of dread' would be a luxury at this point; in a world where there is no more food coming, the plague is drawing in, and fevered religious destruction fills the air, fear is a very real and tangible thing.

Health, exhaustion, thirst, stamina, and immunity must all be managed, along with social status, inventory management, and the passing of time. None of these ever-depleting bars is generous to the player; in fact, my advice (if you want to actually 'complete' this game) would be to do what I did, play it once for as long as you can, then restart entirely and learn from your mistakes. Stockpile, defend, and learn which of the hundreds of hard choices will come back to hurt you. Preparation is key – but that first playthrough is the true spirit of Pathologic 2.

Even the negative reviews of Pathologic admit there is some absolute brilliance in the game especially as an art piece, but they get too stressed out/frustrated by the mechanics and surviving to push through, because it's not fun. And that's fair, I'm not critiquing people with this mindset. I'd even say it's very understandable, and also it makes sense to critique that in a traditional game review.

But Pathologic 2 is trying to be a frustrating game and not fun, so how does a reviewer tackle a game that is actually brilliant at what it's trying to accomplish, just what it's accomplishing isn't something that traditional games go for, and moreso maybe something most players aren't looking for at this point in time? If reviews of other mediums were purely about how enjoyable an experience may be, that'd be a huge limiter on these mediums. There are films you will go to sit down and watch which may make you repulsed, frustrated, hard to watch, but have brilliance in it's bleakness. These films are not made to be easy watches, but they most certainly do have artistic merit. If every film was trying to be "fun" or easy to watch, the medium itself would be greatly restricted.

Games still haven't fully gotten out of some design things we've had since the beginning of video games. They exist and will continue to exist for good reason, but I also personally don't think that means every game need pertain to these design philosophies. I cannot think of game other than Pathologic where the game isn't always edging the player to win, that many view good game design to be pushing players to win, and failure is just a fail state. Pathologic is a game that's designed for failure, when you fail in Pathologic, the game continues, you don't restart any mission, the story doesn't wait for you, the world moves on without you. Even when you die in Pathologic, the game takes you to a weird world where you receive punishment. But actually, dying in Pathologic 2 leads you down a very cool alternate path through the game, every time you die the game actually makes it harder to live, giving you more and more debuffs making it harder to survive (less max health, faster depleting hunger, madness, as brief examples), and starts taking you down a unique path of failure. In fact, the path of failure is incredibly interesting and unique in Pathologic 2, and is worth experiencing by itself. On top of this, even if you get yourself into a corner in Pathologic 2 (as there are definitely situations you can end up at death's doorstep and unable to survive to Day 12 of the plague), you will have almost guaranteed gained something from your time to greater prepare yourself for the next time you take on the hurdle of surviving the 12 days of the plague.

The game is designed not with the player winning in mind, but with the player failing. I cannot think of another game where that's the case, we are conditioned so heavily by games to always aim to win, failure means to just try harder, and games handhold us to winning conditions. So to have a game that not only actively spits on you trying to win and make you struggle if you really want it, but prepares for your inevitable failure and provides a path and things gained from accepting failure and rolling through the punches, is really hard to grasp since it's something we really don't see prioritized in video games.

In most of the negative reviews of the game, they say there's brilliance but they gave up after frustration made them want to quit due to pressing issues the game had for them. Most of them even admit they didn't complete the game and don't want to go back to it ever again because it's so stressful, frustrating, and not fun. And that's completely fair, in fact that is critique I think most can take to heart because it speaks true to gaming experiences of frustration we've all had before I'm certain. However, because they quit, they never really learned that failing in Pathologic 2 is okay, and actually the game has interesting design if you'll let yourself fail gracefully. It is literally a game about coming to accept failure and clawing to survive with what you have.

But it's a game for a niche audience, most may not want that experience. Yet are reviews supposed to be about the mass appeal of something? Then it is a personal player's experience and perspective on the game. But what if the review doesn't represent the game itself well, because the reviewer had a fundamental misunderstanding of what the game was even about? In a famous example, there was IGN's review of Football Manager, where the reviewer and the site took down the review and apologized because they reviewed the game as something it wasn't and misrepresented it badly. But can they really be blamed for something like Pathologic and not "getting it" if it's something that's so against the norm of what we understand game design to be about?

The video game medium is still growing, and there's still a lot of signs that our medium is still finding itself. One of the biggest signs of this is the current state of game reviews being unable to really fully embrace something non-traditional, due to instilled understandings of what's good and bad in game design due to how game's have been designed to this point. But as the medium grows, we will see more experimentation and breaking down and deconstruction of game elements to make new experiences with entirely different focuses and types of design. The field will adapt with the times as they change, but the question arises of how the public and critics will perceive such non-traditional games when they're so strongly conditioned to a certain type of design with win-states, progress guaranteed, or game design about challenging the player to succeed.

I feel there's aspects of all of this I have failed to cover here, like the difference between a game like Pathologic and a rogue-like (one of the biggest being Pathologic is a narrative driven game of time and resource management rather than a game you have a single life to run through made to be infinitely replayable and fun through it's gameplay loop), and I'm almost certain someone will bring a really good argument to the points I've made either due to something I've overlooked, a basic truth, or something I spaced on mentioning while writing this up. But I want to get this out there, and see if stirs anyone enough to respond because I want to talk about this: What Pathologic 2 highlights about game reviews for non-traditional games. That we should have a discussion about games that begin to really break from traditional design philosophies, and how the medium is still teething with a basic understanding of what it can be (though growing more and more aware each day and experimentation), and how those sort of experiments can exist in this day and age. Moreso, how to take games not aiming to be fun, games made to break you down and experience negative emotions, and if we can accept games that aren't meant to be traditionally pleasant but achieve with brilliance (which again, even the reviews who got frustrated and quit the game cite there's brilliance they do see within it) by providing the sorta' unpleasent experience they want you to? Should you critique a direction simply because it makes you experience negative emotions even if it's brilliant in what it sets out to do, and that includes the negative emotions? Are games different from films or books or any other artistic medium where fun and pleasant consumable experiences are not the only type of work to exist and have merit?

Let's talk about this Era. What do you think?

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im very interested in getting the game. Do I need to play the first one first? I own the first one.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Im very interested in getting the game. Do I need to play the first one first? I own the first one.
While I don't think the sequel is a replacement for playing the first game (they're quite different in a number of ways, and the reason they released the HD version of the original game was because they knew the sequel/remake was taking some big departures), you don't need to have played the original game to play the sequel.

This "sequel" started off as a remake of the original game, but more in the style of a reimagining. It is a sequel, but it stars the same characters, town, and basic plot set-up of the first game. Without delving into spoilers, it's all at once a sequel and a reimagining at the same time.

But the basic answer is you're fine to go into it without knowing anything, though the two caveats I'll say is what this topic talks about, accept failure and ignore the usual need to win and see everything most games instill, and be open minded to an experience that may not be traditionally fun.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

You don't need to play the first one to enjoy Pathologic 2: it's more a remake than a sequel.

Since this is your first time with the game, and if you're planning to get it, i suggest you to go with the second game directly, Classic HD aged poorly, there is nostalgia for it and i keep going back to it, but the new release is better in every aspect.

Instead if you're unsure whether the game is for you or not, you can try the first one.

May 18, 2018
I feel gaming isn't ready for what it's always asking for, a story driven game taking chances. No fault of their own but, people want to win with a clear goal in sight. They aren't ready to be told that they are here to die and here's how.

I'm hoping the ending to the second game is similar to the first with the devs fucking with you.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I read this wall of text.

This was a fantastic write-up OP.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Thoughtful post OP. I won't comment on the game, as I haven't played it, but you make some interesting points. The way you describe it though, seems like the game places a lot of value on making the player experience things that are indistinguishable from what they experience in an actual bad game. I feel it's on the game to communicate that this is intentional, like Lisa.

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
it does bother me a little bit when gaming media tends to fawn over non-traditional western games that go for the 'experience' route but tend to disregard eastern games (specifically eastern european) that do the same. i know it's mostly due to accessibility issues but it does make a lot of the journo aspirations of them being serious analysts of an artistic medium feel a little hollow.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I mean a reviewer should state what they think about a game, simple. If they don't like a game, even if they fundamentally misunderstood it's design, then they should review it as something they didn't like. Their opinion is just as valid and is likely to mirror others who may also completely fail to understand a title.

To be honest it's hard to reply to this thread bc the "wall of text."

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
This is an interesting point to talk about. I have not played the game yet, though, so I must do that first. But there is something to be said about games made to be challenging or with a different approach not being suitable for the way games are reviewed currently.

I own the copy and was waiting to play it, but all this talk about the game is really making me interested to jump in before any more patches.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I had already expressed my feelings on western reviews on the other thread. To sum up very quickly:

This is very much a problem of western media/reviewers not understanding or not bothering to understand russian (eastern) games, and Pathologic is the clearest example but not the only one.

This is a very an unconventional video game: it's more an experience, not always a great one cause the game wants to convey anxiety, frustration, fear not through jump scares like in your usual horror game, but through a complex story, philosophical dialogues and fundamental choices you have to make every day. Each ending is a message to the player, each dialogue is an angle.

You can't just dissect the game, cause some of the aspects you may find negative (like how mundane it can feel) are very much intentional. Those who ask for an easier difficulty should understand that at some point if the game becomes too easy it breaks the immersion.

Reviews are one of the reasons why the game is still so obscure in the west, but gamers always loved it, and thankfully things are getting better, more western people are trying it, user reviews are generally very positive everywhere. I honestly think people know better than reviewers.

This review explained perfectly why despite all the flaws, the original Pathologic is so unique and deserves more recognition (SPOILER WARNING)

Last edited:

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
games becoming easier to make and more accessible to people than ever will result in more and more deconstruction of the form and actual critical analysis will be needed, something current video game critics are largely unprepared to deliver

luckily user reviews exist

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I've been reviewed hundreds of times now from esteemed outlets like the Huffington Post to smaller literary journals/ press/ blogs, and the reality is: "you take what you get". The vast majority of my critiques have been glowing to positive, and these are what you—as an artist—focus on. Terry Pratchett once and famously said: "It's not worth doing unless someone, somewhere would rather you weren't." And he's right. Art by its nature, even fantastic and moving art, is bound to provoke a reaction and the stronger and more expressive a creation is the greater that response. Naturally, that response can be positive or negative. You—the artist—don't get to choose.

It doesn't matter if the reviewer fundamentally misconstrues your work. I've even had reviewers who jump into the second book of a complex arc and then complain that they've no idea who these characters are or what is going on; they never realized that they were on the second (or third, as has happened once) book of a series despite the clear and present labelling "Book Two in the..." stamped on the cover. Again, you don't control how someone views your creation or how much or little they interpret of what is being presented (well, you do control that to a degree by not making your work convoluted and obtuse).

I did read your whole wall o' text and while I agree with a lot of what you've said and sympathize with the developers, I still come full circle to Terry's wisdom. I also think I'll check out this game since it sounds right up my alley, so thank you for the post!

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
Not properly communicating what a piece of art is, is a failure of the artists, not the audience.

Also, I think it's really important to realise that the game reviewing industry isn't exactly rolling in the money right now. The expectation that these outlets should spend a reasonably large amount of their resources trying to understand and then present to the world these really niche games is over presumptuous in my opinion.

I'm glad this game exists OP, but in this current climate I don't know what you really expect.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
This is the sort of game that will need time to develop a good critical landscape. A lot of the best critics aren't writing reviews or even playing the games at release, and this game will benefit a lot from that wait.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Not properly communicating what a piece of art is, is a failure of the artists, not the audience.

But the audience do understand what the game communicates, user reviews are very positive for both the original game (despite how flawed it is) and this recent modern remake.

It's just reviewers when they see games not from the eyes of a player, so unless this hits mainstream success, they will always say "i don't understand this = bad game, byee" and i think that's a failure of the reviewer, in fact this criticism applies perfectly to any obscure eastern european game.

Last edited:

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The funniest thing about this fiasco is that the game tells you multiple times, directly, breaking the fourth wall that it's going to be a nightmare struggle about learning the value of Suffering and yet people continue to be shocked when the game is difficult and makes you suffer. The game communicates itself extraordinarily well, but people who bring expectations from outside the text/expecting to breeze through it are going to have an especially difficult learning curve.

Trust the text, folks.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
But the audience do understand what the game is communicating, user reviews are very positive for both the original game (despite how flawed it is) and this recent modern remake.

It's just reviewers that see games not from the eyes of a player, so unless this hits mainstream success, they will always say "i don't understand this = bad game, byee" and i think that's a failure of the reviewer, in fact this criticism applies perfectly to any obscure eastern european game.

I don't think that's true. If you're buying this game, it's probably because you've been primed to do so. You've probably read about it and watched something about it somewhere, and you're probably the exact type of person who this type of game is made for. This is a super small audience, niche game, which is why that works, but if, for example, everyone who played assassin's creed oddessy picked up and played this then I think the user reviews would be very different. Super niche audience likes super niche game isn't that weird to me.

The idea that reviewers are holding back games like this from mainstream success (which I believe is what you're implying) is wild to me. Especially when, as I already said, these outlets don't even have the resources to do this.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I don't think that's true. If you're buying this game, it's probably because you've been primed to do so. You've probably read about it and watched something about it somewhere, and you're probably the exact type of person who this type of game is made for. This is a super small audience, niche game, which is why that works, but if, for example, everyone who played assassin's creed oddessy picked up and played this then I think the user reviews would be very different. Super niche audience likes super niche game isn't that weird to me.

The idea that reviewers are holding back games like this from mainstream success (which I believe is what you're implying) is wild to me. Especially when, as I already said, these outlets don't even have the resources to do this.

I said reviewers is one of the reason but not the only one, i don't think the game will be a huge success even with positive reviews but more people would look into it with more press, that's for sure.

More than review bombing, what i've always felt from those reviews is indifference, in fact your usual gaming media don't even bother to review the game, there is no IGN/Gamespot/etc here, and those who review it don't bother to understand it fully.

What Griff said is absolutely right, the game tells you from the very beginning what this is about, it even warns you about the survival aspects:

- The Masks (Executor and the Tragedian) are two characters aimed at breaking the fourth wall and explaining you how things work in this world.

- The theater is another way the game use to tell the player each path, how your decision changed the town and what you should expect going forward. The very first minutes of the game are the protagonists explaining you what they would do to help the town, and every day at midnight there is a mime performance.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I said reviewers is one of the reason but not the only one, i don't think the game will be a huge success even with positive reviews but more people would look into it with more press, that's for sure.

More than review bombing, what i've always felt from those reviews is indifference, in fact your usual gaming media don't even bother to review the game, there is no IGN/Gamespot/etc here, and those who review it don't bother to understand it fully.

What Griff said is absolutely right, the game tells you from the very beginning what this is about, it even warns you about the survival aspects:

- The Masks (Executor and the Tragedian) are two characters aimed at breaking the fourth wall and represent the developers explaining you how things work in this world.

- The theater is another way the game use to tell the player each path, how your decision changed the town and what you should expect going forward. The very first minutes of the game are the protagonists explaining you what they would do to help the town.

I agree that with a ton of coverage by press these games would have bigger profiles. However, the thing that's kinda frustrating for me, is that I'll see people like you saying things like "they just don't bother to review these games", like surely you know that niche games like this often don't get reviews because the outlets don't have the resources to do this, through no fault of their own. It's really easy to go on twitter and see people involved in games media complaining about how difficult it is to properly review niche indie games and get people to read this stuff.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't particularly care for review gatekeeping, or "you don't understand this game, so your review is invalid." The review actually heaps quite a lot of praise on the game, especially at the end, pretty much only criticising the hunger meter, and if they didn't like it, what are they supposed to do about it? Repeating "no, no, the hunger is supposed to stress you" for three whole paragraphs doesn't make your opinion of it inherently more valid than theirs.

The review doesn't even have a score; it lays down how the game is and what they liked and didn't like, so that people reading it can form their own opinion as to whether that sounds like a good time (or a bad time they want to have) to them. That's what a review should be.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I don't particularly care for review gatekeeping, or "you don't understand this game, so your review is invalid." The review actually heaps quite a lot of praise on the game, especially at the end, pretty much only criticising the hunger meter, and if they didn't like it, what are they supposed to do about it? Repeating "no, no, the hunger is supposed to stress you" for three whole paragraphs doesn't make your opinion of it inherently more valid than theirs.

The review doesn't even have a score; it lays down how the game is and what they liked and didn't like, so that people reading it can form their own opinion as to whether that sounds like a good time (or a bad time they want to have) to them. That's what a review should be.
I'm processing my thoughts on a few different replies here since I want to reply, but I while I understand this is a big wall of text to read, you didn't read what I wrote close enough if that was your takeaway from my thread.

I will quote the two relevant pieces here:

Even the negative reviews of Pathologic admit there is some absolute brilliance in the game especially as an art piece, but they get too stressed out/frustrated by the mechanics and surviving to push through, because it's not fun. And that's fair, I'm not critiquing people with this mindset. I'd even say it's very understandable, and also it makes sense to critique that in a traditional game review.
Most of them even admit they didn't complete the game and don't want to go back to it ever again because it's so stressful, frustrating, and not fun. And that's completely fair, in fact that is critique I think most can take to heart because it speaks true to gaming experiences of frustration we've all had before I'm certain.

I want to make this absolutely clear I am not trying to review gate keep or say the reviewers are wrong or anything, in fact in many ways they are right especially in the form of a traditional game review, which is their job. This isn't them failing to do their job, and how they approach it is on a personal basis.

But I think the way that we often evaluate games as a whole has some serious holes in it, especially when it comes to games that don't try to be "fun", because our medium is at a point where fun is often used as a metric of how good a game is. We evaluate on how much "enjoyment" we get out of a game. But then not all media pieces are made to be enjoyable. There's a lot of examples of this in nearly every form of art or creative work out there in that what is created isn't purely created to be enjoyable, and some works even go to be strictly repulsive or hard to swallow and even difficult to get through. But there can be brilliance in that, in works that challenge standards and explore things other then to be consumed easily and for enjoyment. Gaming as a medium currently is expanding to include more exploration of themes and narratives for example, so we're definitely not stagnant either, I'm not here to take a shot of where we are or even criticize that. But with more non-traditional games and exploring of deconstruction of what we recognize as game design, Pathologic 2 is bringing some attention to how our medium, and in essence how we evaluate said media, has potential holes in the current standard of evaluation of games due to our current perception of what pertains to a game's quality, IE how much "enjoyment" we get out of it as the standard metric, and how that might hint areas the medium still needs to grow.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I agree that with a ton of coverage by press these games would have bigger profiles. However, the thing that's kinda frustrating for me, is that I'll see people like you saying things like "they just don't bother to review these games", like surely you know that niche games like this often don't get reviews because the outlets don't have the resources to do this, through no fault of their own. It's really easy to go on twitter and see people involved in games media complaining about how difficult it is to properly review niche indie games and get people to read this stuff.

I've just posted a 5 months old video review of the original game above from a fairly new channel. It has 566.131 views which is a lot considering also that video is 30 minutes long (if you know youtube rules and its algorithm, you have higher chances to get more views with shorter videos).

The game has a following, especially in Russia, there is interest around it, it's not that super niche, it just has zero press from your usual western media.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've just posted a 5 months old video review of the original game above from a fairly new channel. It has 566.131 views which is a lot considering also that video is 30 minutes long (if you know youtube rules and its algorithm, you have higher chances to get more views with shorter videos).

The game has a following, especially in Russia, there is interest around it, it's not that super niche, it just has zero press from your usual western media.

That's just the average views that guy gets. He has an EYE Divine Cybermancy review with nearly a million. Video doesn't really support whether or not the game is niche or not. It is driven by the youtube personality, not the game in this case.

Pathologic is still hugely niche.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm processing my thoughts on a few different replies here since I want to reply, but I while I understand this is a big wall of text to read you didn't read what I wrote close enough if that was your takeaway from my thread.

I want to make this absolutely clear I am not trying to review gate keep or say the reviewers are wrong or anything, in fact in many ways they are right especially in the form of a traditional game review, which is their job. This isn't them failing to do their job, and how they approach it is on a personal basis.

But I think the way that we often evaluate games as a whole has some serious holes in it, especially when it comes to games that don't try to be "fun", because our medium is at a point where fun is often used as a metric of how good a game is. We evaluate on how much "enjoyment" we get out of a game. But then not all media pieces are made to be enjoyable. there's a lot of examples of this in nearly every form of art or creative work out there that what is created is purely created to be enjoyable, and some works even go to be strictly repulsive or hard to swallow, but there can be brilliance in that. Gaming as a medium medium is expanding to include more exploration of themes and narratives for example, and I'm not here to take a shot of where we are or even criticize that. Just to talk about how Pathologic 2 is bringing some attention to some potential holes in the current standard of evaluation of games due to where we are at in the medium, and how that might hint areas the medium still needs to grow.

I did read most of your post but I admit I started skimming after the aforementioned three whole paragraphs getting across the concept that the food meter is supposed to stress you. We get it, man. :D. In all seriousness, you might want to edit that a bit.

Back to your argument that videogames are measured in "fun" more often than other media (say, horror movies, or war dramas), that's an entirely fair point to make. I just think you picked the worst possible review to illustrate it, because the review a) doesn't score it at all, pretty much not even verbally, and b) accurately describes and even values the negative feelings the game is trying to convey. So if anything, it's doing exactly what you want. Unless I got it all wrong and that was your point, that more reviews should be like it.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
That's just the average views that guy gets. He has an EYE Divine Cybermancy review with nearly a million. Video doesn't really support whether or not the game is niche or not.

Pathologic is still hugely niche.

He reviewed already a bunch of other eastern games, the people who are interested in these games follow him, i saw his videos several times mentioned and appreciated on VK communities. What i'm saying is people talk more about these games when they get mentioned in reviews and such.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I think that game reviewers (not all, some, and not always the same people) sometimes have trouble wrapping their heads around even far more traditional games, but I also wouldn't say that it's really limited to video game criticism. It probably is more pronounced in this field, however, for a variety of reasons ranging from the maturity of the medium, the very nature of it (and there are various facets to it, from its predominant focus on commercial products, to the fact that it requires active participation), the lack of structured, more academic approach to game analysis, and so on. In this particular case the fact that active participation and immersion effectively blur the line between the player and the player character makes it rather obvious to see why it's so hard for some people to accept that you're supposed to lose in this game.

Anyway, it was Eurogamer's wonderful review of the first game that sold me on it, but I have to admit that I also never played it to completion, even with just a single character. It was an interesting, and very unique, but simultaneously very unnerving experience that I just didn't feel like having at the time. I'm looking forward to giving this sort-of-sequel a look as well, although I'll be making no promises.

May 17, 2019
Ice-Pick Lodge are perhaps my all-time favorite developers. They constantly push the edge of the medium, have unique art design, and are the best in the field at ludo-narrative cohesion.

It is the writing though that really makes me adore them. If you let me be pretentious here, just for a moment, let me just say that most of what gets acclaimed here on RE or by reviewers is simply not that good. THe Last Of Us, God of War, Red Dead, they just can't compare to what other mediums have accomplished. IPL has though, again and again. Their 2008 game The Void is perhaps the finest moment of feminism in gaming. They are magnificent tales, ones that touch on everything from societal outsidership to colonialism to Brechtian decadence.

These games are important, needed. VGs are still restricted so much, but here was have a group that wants to see them evolve. I'm only on Day 10 out of 12 in Pathologic 2, but the work here is already their finest hour. Yet, it is selling horrendously on steam. IPL's magnum opus might be their last.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
I think it does show to a certain degree the medium is still in it's infancy. The most compareable experience I can think of from another medium is Jeanne Dielman. I believe most fully got and appreciated it and any divisiveness was from wether or not the point justifies the exhaustive execution.

May 17, 2019
That is an interesting comparison, but I am unsure of whether it is due to the medium's infancy. JD came out after decades of similar filmmaking and was mainly criticized by male critics. It was a contextual problem, rather than a mechanical one.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pathologic-2.jpg

So I'm right now very immersed into the world of Pathologic 2, which is the newest game by Ice Pick Lodge, a avant-garde game developer from Russia who's also made games in the past such as The Void, Knock-Knock, Cargo!, and of course, the original Pathologic from 2005.Their games are huge love it/hate it games which are not easily accessible to the average consumer, often being games of purposeful challenge and contesting game design to experiment with a type of game that is not often seen and does not focus on the positive emotions of humans, IE the games are not fun, they're not about being a hero or a power fantasy, they're not even about win states (we'll get back to this point later on). However, they have amassed a cult following over the last 15 years because while there's a huge barrier of entry of acceptance of non-standard and sometimes very frustrating game design behind their games, their mechanics often have a place deeply rooted in the actual themes and the feeling they're going for with the games they craft. Often alongside this these games have amazing stories (like legitimately some of the best stories within the industry), nail their atmospheres and intrigue, and provide an experience unlike anything else of the market because they're daring enough to break what so many consider to be "good" game design.

Now Pathologic 2 doesn't have much mainstream attention yet as it's just released on PC, and as most game coverage sites are primarily focused on the console space and only the PC games that make a scene elsewhere, it'll probably only get a boost in popularity of media coverage once the game hits Xbox One and (possibly) PS4 down the line. There still are a number of reviews that have sprung up, and most of them have been what you can expect. There's been a lot of 6s, 7s & 9s. So for what it is, the game isn't reviewing badly. And maybe this thread is best saved once Pathologic 2 hits the console space.

So why am I making this thread?

Pathologic 2's most notable major outlet review at the time of writing is from Rock, Paper, Shotgun: Pathologic 2: Wot I Think, which has been causing a lot of stirs within the cult audience for the game. Now thankfully this audience while expressing some disappointment haven't gone to attack the author, even though the review chooses some unfortunate choices in passages like comparing the game to Dark Souls to talk about difficulty in games. A lot of people were disappointed since Rock, Paper, Shotgun had a previous writer who wrote an amazing three part analysis "review" of Pathologic which is what got many people to try the original game in the first place.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun doesn't give review scores, but used to. They gave the original game a 6/10, but published this piece from a different writer, the original review writer even writing this about Pathologic to open the piece:

Quintin then presents a very strong understanding of what Pathologic thematically was about, why the game had to not be fun, what it does right, why it's a game that might not appease most audiences, but why a title that needs to be condemned was so important. Now while obviously different people/writers will have different takes on a game, and what Quintin thinks of Pathologic isn't what everyone on the site will think, there's some disparity from the reader side between the excellent series of articles they published on the original game, and the recent review of the sequel. In big part since a lot of the review of the sequel is spent criticizing the very things that the article understood, which shows a misunderstanding of the game they're playing, and the reviewer even admits they just stopped playing the game about a fourth of the way through the game and wrote their review from that.

This has lead to an interesting effect with this being a niche title in having other reviews from more niche sites talk about this very point, and it being something discussed around the title. One such example is IndieGame.com's review they published today of the game, which their opening passage actually inspired me to make this thread:

There's more pieces offering their bit here, but there's something becomes immediately clear when you begin reading the various different outlet opinion pieces on Pathologic 2: Game reviewers are not equipped mostly to deal with a game like Pathologic 2.

Now that might sound a bit pretentious, but funnily enough this was also talked about with the original Pathologic game by reviewers at the time. In fact, the situation with Pathologic 2 so closely mirrors the original game's reception and these comments being passed around, and reviewers looking at each other in how to tackle such an unusual game, that it's interesting 15 years later it still doesn't seem like the scene is ready to review a game like Pathologic.

Pathologic 2, and indeed the original game, are games about failing. That's something that makes Pathologic a really hard to talk about game, because the thing is "Winning" is what universally almost every game is about. And if not about winning, it's often about "Creating your own fun." Pathologic is not fun, and it's not about winning, it's about accepting your failures. The game gives you impossible odds to contest, it shows you information of you failing on screen all the time. One heavy point that people criticize for the game is that your hunger diminishes too quickly, so they constantly had to be finding food. The thing is, if the reviewers had spent more time with the game, they would learn that this is definitely the intent. In video games, we're trained to not let gauges empty out, game UI makes use of gauges to often show progress, and the higher the gauge is, the "better" we are or in EXP, how close we are to the next little victory. Pathologic does the opposite of this, it purposefully distresses the player to make them panic. Many will view your hunger bar diminishing and emptying all the time as a negative, but there's two complicated sides to this:

01. The game wants to stress the player for food, it wants to make the player value food even over your own weapons, so that finding a loaf of bread is more valuable than finding a gun, and that you might actually give up and trade your weapons for a loaf of bread and milk, as was famously cited for the original game even.

02. Though there's a bar that empties and is purposefully trying to stress the player out and make them scourge for food, the penalty for making your hunger bar go empty is actually very lenient. You do lose health when you're hungry, but you lose is at a snail's pace. It does add up especially as healing items are a rarity in Pathologic, and in fact most healing items also have negative effects within the game to other aspects of your character, but when starving if you're on full health you most likely won't die from starvation in a single day. In fact, you're SUPPOSED to be starving, you're in a plague-ridden village which is poor and barely has food that isn't rotting or being stolen by others also struggling for food. Many people get stressed out in a survival game when a "survival" bar empties, and so having hunger reach zero and be such a struggle to maintain is viewed as a negative. But that's assuming the bar is supposed to be full and the game's survival mechanics are failing because it's hard to keep yourself from going hungry. But the game actually WANTS the player to be starving most of the time, to be struggling with food, and in fact most of the game is designed with you starving and losing health really slowly in mind.

Pathologic 2 is a game designed so everything is stacked against you. You have freedom to do as you want, it's one of the only games where the story of the game is not waiting for you. If you miss story, you miss it for good in that run, and the story will continue without you. NPCs will lie and try to scam you for their own benefit. Just because you do something for someone doesn't mean they owe you anything. You are constantly managing various micro systems, while trying to both save people and yourself. Ice Pick Lodge themselves have talked about this being a game about accepting failure, to roll with the punches in a situation that is progressively more and more dire, to simulate a bleak hopelessness of a village dying of plague.

To quote the IndieGame.come's review again:

But Pathologic 2 is trying to be a frustrating game and not fun, so how does a reviewer tackle a game that is actually brilliant at what it's trying to accomplish, just what it's accomplishing isn't something that traditional games go for, and moreso maybe something most players aren't looking for at this point in time? If reviews of other mediums were purely about how enjoyable an experience may be, that'd be a huge limiter on these mediums. There are films you will go to sit down and watch which may make you repulsed, frustrated, hard to watch, but have brilliance in it's bleakness. These films are not made to be easy watches, but they most certainly do have artistic merit. If every film was trying to be "fun" or easy to watch, the medium itself would be greatly restricted.

Games still haven't fully gotten out of some design things we've had since the beginning of video games. They exist and will continue to exist for good reason, but I also personally don't think that means every game need pertain to these design philosophies. I cannot think of game other than Pathologic where the game isn't always edging the player to win, that many view good game design to be pushing players to win, and failure is just a fail state. Pathologic is a game that's designed for failure, when you fail in Pathologic, the game continues, you don't restart any mission, the story doesn't wait for you, the world moves on without you. Even when you die in Pathologic, the game takes you to a weird world where you receive punishment. But actually, dying in Pathologic 2 leads you down a very cool alternate path through the game, every time you die the game actually makes it harder to live, giving you more and more debuffs making it harder to survive (less max health, faster depleting hunger, madness, as brief examples), and starts taking you down a unique path of failure. In fact, the path of failure is incredibly interesting and unique in Pathologic 2, and is worth experiencing by itself. On top of this, even if you get yourself into a corner in Pathologic 2 (as there are definitely situations you can end up at death's doorstep and unable to survive to Day 12 of the plague), you will have almost guaranteed gained something from your time to greater prepare yourself for the next time you take on the hurdle of surviving the 12 days of the plague.

The game is designed not with the player winning in mind, but with the player failing. I cannot think of another game where that's the case, we are conditioned so heavily by games to always aim to win, failure means to just try harder, and games handhold us to winning conditions. So to have a game that not only actively spits on you trying to win and make you struggle if you really want it, but prepares for your inevitable failure and provides a path and things gained from accepting failure and rolling through the punches, is really hard to grasp since it's something we really don't see prioritized in video games.

In most of the negative reviews of the game, they say there's brilliance but they gave up after frustration made them want to quit due to pressing issues the game had for them. Most of them even admit they didn't complete the game and don't want to go back to it ever again because it's so stressful, frustrating, and not fun. And that's completely fair, in fact that is critique I think most can take to heart because it speaks true to gaming experiences of frustration we've all had before I'm certain. However, because they quit, they never really learned that failing in Pathologic 2 is okay, and actually the game has interesting design if you'll let yourself fail gracefully. It is literally a game about coming to accept failure and clawing to survive with what you have.

But it's a game for a niche audience, most may not want that experience. Yet are reviews supposed to be about the mass appeal of something? Then it is a personal player's experience and perspective on the game. But what if the review doesn't represent the game itself well, because the reviewer had a fundamental misunderstanding of what the game was even about? In a famous example, there was IGN's review of Football Manager, where the reviewer and the site took down the review and apologized because they reviewed the game as something it wasn't and misrepresented it badly. But can they really be blamed for something like Pathologic and not "getting it" if it's something that's so against the norm of what we understand game design to be about?

The video game medium is still growing, and there's still a lot of signs that our medium is still finding itself. One of the biggest signs of this is the current state of game reviews being unable to really fully embrace something non-traditional, due to instilled understandings of what's good and bad in game design due to how game's have been designed to this point. But as the medium grows, we will see more experimentation and breaking down and deconstruction of game elements to make new experiences with entirely different focuses and types of design. The field will adapt with the times as they change, but the question arises of how the public and critics will perceive such non-traditional games when they're so strongly conditioned to a certain type of design with win-states, progress guaranteed, or game design about challenging the player to succeed.

I feel there's aspects of all of this I have failed to cover here, like the difference between a game like Pathologic and a rogue-like (one of the biggest being Pathologic is a narrative driven game of time and resource management rather than a game you have a single life to run through made to be infinitely replayable and fun through it's gameplay loop), and I'm almost certain someone will bring a really good argument to the points I've made either due to something I've overlooked, a basic truth, or something I spaced on mentioning while writing this up. But I want to get this out there, and see if stirs anyone enough to respond because I want to talk about this: What Pathologic 2 highlights about game reviews for non-traditional games. That we should have a discussion about games that begin to really break from traditional design philosophies, and how the medium is still teething with a basic understanding of what it can be (though growing more and more aware each day and experimentation), and how those sort of experiments can exist in this day and age. Moreso, how to take games not aiming to be fun, games made to break you down and experience negative emotions, and if we can accept games that aren't meant to be traditionally pleasant but achieve with brilliance (which again, even the reviews who got frustrated and quit the game cite there's brilliance they do see within it) by providing the sorta' unpleasent experience they want you to? Should you critique a direction simply because it makes you experience negative emotions even if it's brilliant in what it sets out to do, and that includes the negative emotions? Are games different from films or books or any other artistic medium where fun and pleasant consumable experiences are not the only type of work to exist and have merit?

Let's talk about this Era. What do you think?
I'm processing my thoughts on a few different replies here since I want to reply, but I while I understand this is a big wall of text to read, you didn't read what I wrote close enough if that was your takeaway from my thread.

But I think the way that we often evaluate games as a whole has some serious holes in it, especially when it comes to games that don't try to be "fun", because our medium is at a point where fun is often used as a metric of how good a game is. We evaluate on how much "enjoyment" we get out of a game. But then not all media pieces are made to be enjoyable. There's a lot of examples of this in nearly every form of art or creative work out there in that what is created isn't purely created to be enjoyable, and some works even go to be strictly repulsive or hard to swallow and even difficult to get through. But there can be brilliance in that, in works that challenge standards and explore things other then to be consumed easily and for enjoyment. Gaming as a medium currently is expanding to include more exploration of themes and narratives for example, so we're definitely not stagnant either, I'm not here to take a shot of where we are or even criticize that. But with more non-traditional games and exploring of deconstruction of what we recognize as game design, Pathologic 2 is bringing some attention to how our medium, and in essence how we evaluate said media, has potential holes in the current standard of evaluation of games due to our current perception of what pertains to a game's quality, IE how much "enjoyment" we get out of it as the standard metric, and how that might hint areas the medium still needs to grow.

I'm sorry but I read all of this and think it's nonsense. I read the RPS review and it came through to me that the game intends to be a frustrating experience. The writer describes it in detail and it's obvious what the game wants to do. The writer just did not find that experience to his liking and disliked the game - which is going to happen more often that not, given how niche the game is. A major bugbear I have is reviews where it's clear the reviewer is reviewing what he thinks a game should be, not what it actually is, and this review does not do that. He sees the intentional frustration and considers it and for him the game does not coalesce into a worthwhile experience. I thought it was a good review and what I'm getting from the reaction is fans of the game not agreeing with someone disliking it and shouting: "No you just don't understand it."

On the point of games not having to be "fun" - yes they don't have to be and should never be reviewed as such. But to accuse RPS of all outlets of this is absurd, considering the volume of niche, weird, unfun games they've covered and continue to cover. There's a valuable discussion to be had here but not framed in this way.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'll be honest, I was turned off from buying this game because of the RPS review. I'm not much of a 'narrative gameplay' guy, but this sounds different and fun, I LIKE having the ability to lose. On the other hand I was also thinking of buying Plague Tale, but it sounds like a Naughty Dog game, so that's a automatic hard pass for me.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Still never going to agree with the "games don't need to be fun" sentiment. Fun is subjective, and it ultimately means enjoyment. Fun doesn't mean "Like Nintendo" as so many here want to conflate. If you aren't enjoying what you're doing in your leisure time, then why are you bothering?

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I'll be honest, I was turned off from buying this game because of the RPS review. I'm not much of a 'narrative gameplay' guy, but this sounds different and fun, I LIKE having the ability to lose. On the other hand I was also thinking of buying Plague Tale, but it sounds like a Naughty Dog game, so that's a automatic hard pass for me.
Two games couldn't be more different, I liked Plague Tale outside of the ending but it's more linear than any Naughty Dog game
Still never going to agree with the "games don't need to be fun" sentiment. Fun is subjective, and it ultimately means enjoyment. Fun doesn't mean "Like Nintendo" as so many here want to conflate. If you aren't enjoying what you're doing in your leisure time, then why are you bothering?
I consider surviving in Pathologic 2 while appreciating the incredible writing and narrative that ties into every mechanic far more entertaining than either of the last two Assassin's Creed games with their grindy faux rpg elements for example. Pathologic is brutal but it's an incredible experience that I legitimately enjoy playing.

Last edited:

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
You don't agree with it because you intentionally warp the meaning of fun to be synonymous with enjoyment, thus warping the whole argument in the process.

I did not have fun watching Spotlight or Schindler's List, but I enjoyed them.

I did not have fun eating my pizza, but I most certainly enjoyed it.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Fun doesn't usually just mean "enjoyment" when used in regards to game. Usually more specifically refers to the feeling that a game is evoking, rather than it being "fun" subjectively for the person playing. ie Mario versus STALKER; both are fun to play, but Mario is the game that would be described as the "fun" experience, while STALKER isn't

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I mean a reviewer should state what they think about a game, simple. If they don't like a game, even if they fundamentally misunderstood it's design, then they should review it as something they didn't like. Their opinion is just as valid and is likely to mirror others who may also completely fail to understand a title.

I feel like this perspective is one of my main beefs with how social media at large has empowered the voice of the non "expert", or non academic. There is absolutely value in a review telling people "this game is confusing, I didn't enjoy it and if you mostly only enjoy traditional games then you probably won't either". So sure that serves the mainstream perspective, but I'd argue it's much more interesting having someone that understands these themes going in to be able to break down why it's a success in what it sets out to do, especially from a site like RPS that tends to delve into these long think pieces that break games down in an almost academic way. As the hypothetical editor of a film site you wouldn't have your action movie critic going to review the next Malick film, and I wouldn't expect the advertising to accidentally be pulling in folks from that demographic either. Point being, Dusk is right to be a bit disappointed with this breakdown from a site that at times gives a semiotic-like approach to their games analysis. Hopefully this wasn't too wall of text for you :)

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rather than talk about "fun", I usually try to think about my experience with a game in terms of whether or not I'm engaged, or rather if I'm drawn in. Sometimes frustrating things can draw me in. But more often than not survival mechanics which especially in today's climate are a dime of dozen A) frustrate me) but more importantly B) do not engage me. When I see a striking vista in a game like Dark Souls 3 or NaissanceE or The Last Guardian, I'm not really having "fun", but I'm engaged. I see it and I'm there, and I'm not being encumbered from having that experience. I haven't played Pathologic or its sequel but the sense I get from the people who haven't been able to get on with it is that it ostensibly has this sort of arthouse experimental horror vibe to it, but also chooses to communicate some of that ennui through mechanics which push back upon the player and cause frustration. The large majority of the time these sorts of things feel completely at odds for me like oil and water and I'm never able to circle that square. When people try to compare games with mechanics meant to inspire frustration to films or books which have monotonous or frustrating sections its kind of moot because no film forces you to rewind and watch again from a previous section, no book will tear out pages from itself and throw them away, etc. Movies also don't take upwards of 30 hours to get through, which Pathologic 2 does if I've heard correctly. They don't require "The correct way to watch!" guides to enjoy like games like Pathologic do. I can respect games like Pathologic from afar but if I were forced to review them I could see myself thinking they're complete dogshit and feeling perfectly right in holding that opinion.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
it does bother me a little bit when gaming media tends to fawn over non-traditional western games that go for the 'experience' route but tend to disregard eastern games (specifically eastern european) that do the same. i know it's mostly due to accessibility issues but it does make a lot of the journo aspirations of them being serious analysts of an artistic medium feel a little hollow.

Yeah, just look at how poorly the Metro series and Kingdom Come Deliverance were received /s

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Fun doesn't usually just mean "enjoyment" when used in regards to game. Usually more specifically refers to the feeling that a game is evoking, rather than it being "fun" subjectively for the person playing. ie Mario versus STALKER; both are fun to play, but Mario is the game that would be described as the "fun" experience, while STALKER isn't

Fun does not exclusively mean light-hearted either, and just because some on this forum try to dictate or relegate it to specifically mean that, it doesn't. Also, much of the time when someone is referencing some light-hearted fun, they actually say that.

"Are you enjoying your time with S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?" Yeah, but it's not really any fun.
"Are you enjoying your time with Mario Odyssey?" No, but it's really fun.

Ridiculous.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps "compelling" should be used in place of "fun" when describing some games.

games becoming easier to make and more accessible to people than ever will result in more and more deconstruction of the form and actual critical analysis will be needed, something current video game critics are largely unprepared to deliver

luckily user reviews exist
Huh?
I feel like I'm being insulted.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this perspective is one of my main beefs with how social media at large has empowered the voice of the non "expert", or non academic. There is absolutely value in a review telling people "this game is confusing, I didn't enjoy it and if you mostly only enjoy traditional games then you probably won't either". So sure that serves the mainstream perspective, but I'd argue it's much more interesting having someone that understands these themes going in to be able to break down why it's a success in what it sets out to do, especially from a site like RPS that tends to delve into these long think pieces that break games down in an almost academic way. As the hypothetical editor of a film site you wouldn't have your action movie critic going to review the next Malick film, and I wouldn't expect the advertising to accidentally be pulling in folks from that demographic either. Point being, Dusk is right to be a bit disappointed with this breakdown from a site that at times gives a semiotic-like approach to their games analysis. Hopefully this wasn't too wall of text for you :)

We should have both the well versed deeper looks from those that get it and those who don't assuming the title has such diversity in understanding. Both are equally valuable.

And not all reviewers/content from any given pub/site are going to be the same, and that's a good thing. I don't necessarily agree that a specific site should be called out simply bc the review didn't live up to expectations. That's weird to me.