• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Why hasn't Nintendo jumped on this bandwagon with Nintendo X Studio Ghibli?

Just have Nintendo characters exploring the various worlds and art-styles of Studio Ghibli?

In my opinion I can't think of a more perfect match than these two studios coming together on a project like this.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is it really a bandwagon when only 1 company is doing this?

Also doesn't Miyazaki hate video games? (Along with everything else?)

Jan 3, 2019
They went with a much more iconic universe
mariorab-600x338.jpg

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Well, it's not just Nintendo's call to make. I can imagine Ghibli being very protective over their work. Even international DVD and Blu-ray releases of Ghibli movies are sparse.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Exploring post war japan with my man Kirby in the grave of the fireflies world would be hype

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Why hasn't Nintendo jumped on this bandwagon with Nintendo X Studio Ghibli?

Just have Nintendo characters exploring the various worlds and art-styles of Studio Ghibli?

In my opinion I can't think of a more perfect match than these two studios coming together on a project like this.
Level-5 sort of beat them to it with Ni No Kuni I guess?

e59ab5e45cee6784ca6e8493fb6cbfad.jpg

Someone needs to partner up with Looney Tunes though. The Tales Of team or Atlus...
No, pretty sure it's anime that he hates.

570.gif
Because most people don't seem to actually know, these are fake quotes.

monapon

Nov 9, 2017
Forget Ghibli, a pure Nintendo crossover RPG would be more than enough material and recognition-wise!

Bromancer

Oct 30, 2017
I'd much rather have a game that feels like a Ghibli movie rather than a crossover featuring existing characters and worlds. Kind of for the same reason I don't need My Neigbour Totoro 2. Those movies are great as they are and should be left the hell alone.

So what we can hope for is an original game with Ghibli involvement (which exists in the form of Ni no Kuni) or a game made by actual game designers that takes cues from Ghibli (like Breath of the Wild).

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
Well since we have a Japanese Dev (square-enix) working with a western company (disney) why not have a Western Dev (Obsisian) work with a japanese company (studio ghibli) and make their own universe based on their franchise

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Kingdom Hearts is about original characters exploring Disney worlds. That's not what you're proposing that Nintendo does. The Square-Enix characters are peppered in as fanservice, but center state is all about the original protagonists and Disney characters.

What Squaresoft did was find a way to get themselves in the door with Disney with a co-created franchise, instantly propeling themselves to new, unmatched heights as a Japanese video game developer/publisher. Sure, the partnership helped to keep Disney much more hip and relevant, primarily in Japan, but this was a much bigger and more important deal for Squaresoft than it was for Disney.

Studio Ghibli doesn't desire to entangle their IPs into video games, and Nintendo doesn't need their IPs. This isn't a match that would truly benefit either company in major way, and is a completely different scenario than what happened between Squaresoft and Disney.

Also, as a gamer, do I want to explore and solve the mystery of Totoro and their forest, dogfight with Porco Rosso, tip toe through bookshelf's and doll houses of Arrietty, explore the seas of Ponyo, and make a living in the bath house of Spirited Away? Hell yes. Do I want to do all those things as Nintendo characters? No, I want to play as characters who would make sense being in those worlds and not detract from their graceful beauty.

Original characters such as Sora, and classic Disney characters such as The Fab Five make sense traveling to other Disney worlds, and those worlds are already loud and zany, so they can fit right in with some wardrobe retheming. If we were to have one chance to explore the worlds of Ghibli in video game form, I want them pure and deep. Give me an original human character that jives with the Ghibli art style to travel between them, sure, but not Mario and the gang...