• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

They're barbarians ruled by the king of savages.

What are you doing, Square Enix.

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is horrible. Reminds me of the Legend of Zelda series being about the white people attacking the one brown man. I hate games.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping to come into the OP to get info on this game I may have missed like console it's launching in but I feel swerved not in s good way.

This game as of now seems to be the most interesting thing I've seen on Square's conference so far.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
They took every fantasy cliche in existence and mashed them together. Unfortunately that also includes the barbarian trope.

AB (^_^)

Banned
Dec 8, 2018

They're barbarians ruled by the king of savages.

What are you doing, Square Enix.

Whats wrong with races, does everything has to be equal or racially correct. If they were white, will the issue be gone?

I think its fine. Im mexican and im not asking "why there arent any mexican in the game?"

Sometimes people read too much into it.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Look at that religious state who only has a creepy white guy. That must mean all religious people are creepy white guys.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
The trait of barbaians and savages having a tan or dark skin is so dumb. You had factions with all positive description (noble, smart, wise) and only the tanned/dark one had a negative description.
Wonder how that discussion went.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Yeah i see it. Take a look at this pic and guess which ones might be the savages.
Up9mlFL.jpg

FuturusX

Oct 28, 2017
Whats wrong with races, does everything has to be equal or racially correct. If they were white, will the issue be gone?

I think its fine. Im mexican and im not asking "why there arent any mexican in the game?"

Who needs representation...White men can be all our heroes, tell all our stories. Quit ya complaining and pay up right?

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a pretty significant stretch. There is nothing in this to indicate we are supposed to view anyone in this as a separate race in this game. Their is an argument for colorism but they all look like more or less the same shade to me from the images in the trailer.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
People are getting tired of dark skin = savages/evil in games is what the issue is.
The more developers do this the more people will be upset.

I think its fine. Im mexican and im not asking "why there arent any mexican in the game?
Ethnicity and race are two separate things.
You can be Mexican and be white.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Uhm... idk about this.

Its also important to remember this will be a gacha game which means it will have a multitude of new characters being added constantly (if Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is any indication), so even if this was a indeed a problem it could be easily fixed with post launch content (not trying to imply that representaion or misrepresentation in this case isnt an important matter that need to be adressed btw).

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I wonder why threads like this are always full of, "Actually, you will find that racism doesn't exist!" posts.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
let's make a game where the innocent people are brown cause they're tanned from the sun, and big bad white guys from up north where it always snows. just to shake things up.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow that's pretty bad. What the fuck Square Enix?

This is horrible. Reminds me of the Legend of Zelda series being about the white people attacking the one brown man. I hate games.

Yeah I had just recently replayed Ocarina of Time and I was exactly happy with the idea of how Ganondorf is inspired by Arabs but they are described the thief tribes and denounced as villains.

Ganondorf is green tho

Ganondorf is a Gerudo, whom are very clearly based on Arab cultures, and they have brown skins and are described as thieves. Whereas the two heroes are white with blue eyes. It's painstakingly obvious

So you can fuck off with your "Ganondorf is green tho" bullshit.

There's always one who wants to bats for the racist.

This seems like a pretty significant stretch. There is nothing in this to indicate we are supposed to view anyone in this as a separate race in this game. Their is an argument for colorism but they all look like more or less the same shade to me from the images in the trailer.

The trailer makes it blatantly obvious what the kingdom are inspired from pulling from real life Spain, Russia, France and Turkey.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
there's three characters there. two of which are only vaguely darker skinned
and one which is as white as the rest of them

you're reaching. im glad there are brown characters at all though
fire emblem heroes has the same thing going on, but the bad brown people turn out to be good

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting flashbacks back to that thread about Barrett not being black. Holy fuck.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
I wonder why threads like this are always full of, "Actually, you will find that racism doesn't exist!" posts.
Although now when discussing race it's more
"Character can't be a PoC due to in-game lore reasons / the in-game universe might now see race as we do!"
and now apparently "the characters in question don't have dark skin, they're actually white people with a tan"

I love the character design on the dark-skinned girl, I think it's amazing, but come on, 2 dark skinned characters being a part of the savages faction is lame as fuck and needs to be called out even if there are white characters in the trailer and can be "fixed" later on.