• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Clegane Bowl going down?

• Yes

Votes: 246 53.7%
  • No

Votes: 40 8.7%
  • I'm gonna have to eat every fucking chicken in this room

Votes: 172 37.6%

• Total voters

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hound beats Mountain, then chokes to death on a chicken bone.

Edit: Oh goddammit beaten. Beaten like the Mountain is, by the Hound, before the latter chokes on chicken and dies.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm more curious in how these 2 characters will end up in the same place. The Mountain follows Cersei like a pet and I don't see her going North at all, where the Hound currently is.

So...unless the Hound survive the Battle of Winterfell and flee to Kings Landing to escape the undead, I can't see how them fighting make any sense.

My guess is Winterfell is gonna fall and they have to retreat back to Kings Landing and the final battle will take place there, along with the Clegane Bowl.

WallSniper

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Mountain is winning the fight and Arya kills him with an eye poke outta nowhere. Arya saves Hound and then there is a cornball line about being even.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After last season's finale they have to. No other reason to show Sandor confronting Gregor like that.

"You know who's coming for you. You've always known."

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is Winterfell is gonna fall and they have to retreat back to Kings Landing and the final battle will take place there, along with the Clegane Bowl.
I'm not sure I buy that theory. How do you pull off that course of events in 4 episodes (since we pretty much know that the battle of Winterfell is at the earliest in Episode 3) plus, how are they retreating if the army is already on them? I think the NK goes down in the Battle of Winterfell and Dany/Jons army is ravaged and what little is left goes after Cersei.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
It's absolutely mental to me that the entire show has been building up to the White Walkers and Night King since the very first episode and pretty much the whole conflict is going to be resolved within 5 episodes or fewer. I'm not sure how you fit developments between the Cleganes in all that.

I'm not even sure how Cersei's story is going to be resolved. Do Jon/Dany defeat the Night King then ride south to take King's Landing? I suppose Clegane Bowl could happen then but that would almost seem like a sideshow when so much else has to happen in the next 5 episodes. The only thing I'd say is the last couple of seasons have felt very fanservicey and it's something I can see happening just because people want it so much.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They start fighting, Gregor tries to grab him but he's just a zombie, far too slow and eventually just limps about and falls down. Sandor takes his brother's helmet off and just he's a moaning and pathectic zombie, that can carry out simple tasks like cutting a peasant's guts out but doesn't have the wits to keep up with a decent opponent. Sandor feeling sorry for him, walks away, realises he's not his brother anymore but a husk of a man. Some peasants then start kicking him to death, as the moutain is walked over and stamped to death by the small people. That would subvert expectations.

Rian, is that you?

Doesn't Yara literally say that she's going back to take the Iron Islands, as it would be a logical location to retreat to if Winterfall falls (which it obviously will)?

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I'm more curious in how these 2 characters will end up in the same place. The Mountain follows Cersei like a pet and I don't see her going North at all, where the Hound currently is.

So...unless the Hound survive the Battle of Winterfell and flee to Kings Landing to escape the undead, I can't see how them fighting make any sense.
Given that episode 3 is supposed to be a big episode and bearing in mind the geography I would imagine that the action and associated survivors will move south to KL thereafter.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
The Mountain kills the Hound effortlessly, finishing him by shoving his head into a roaring fire and keeping it there.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
After Hound slays the Mountain he's gonna turn into an actual dog like Michael Jackson at the end of that one music video, never to be seen or heard from again.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Yara literally say that she's going back to take the Iron Islands, as it would be a logical location to retreat to if Winterfall falls (which it obviously will)?
Will it though? If Winterfell falls then, the NK army will be incredibly massive and unstoppable. They might as well end the show there.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. The Hound puts up a good fight but is gravely wounded, but Arya bails him out and he survives.

I see a few others have the same idea. Probably wishful thinking, but that's how I'd like to see it happen.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
My theory:

> Night King whoops ass at Winterfell. Marches south.
> Begins clashing with Cersei's army
> Night King makes eye contact with The Mountain
> The Mountain, already being a dead zombie man thing, immediately turns wight'ified (blue eyes, zombie, etc etc)
> Kills Cersei and all of her Kingsguard
> The Hound arrives at some point and fights double zombie Mountain
> Has to use fire to kill him because he is a wight now, irony because of he's scared of fire/Mountain due to childhood

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Will it though? If Winterfell falls then, the NK army will be incredibly massive and unstoppable. They might as well end the show there.

Absolutely. There's no way that entire arc is getting wrapped up by episode 3.

The showrunners didn't drop that bit about the Iron Islands if they didn't have the intention of a retreat there.

I think we know how it's going to end- A band of fighters will go on a suicide mission to kill the NK, because once he dies the army falls. That will probably be episode 4.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm not sure I buy that theory. How do you pull off that course of events in 4 episodes (since we pretty much know that the battle of Winterfell is at the earliest in Episode 3) plus, how are they retreating if the army is already on them?

Well 4 episodes are longer, so should have time and I think a lot of the army will fall but will try to hold off the dead for as long as possible, while the important characters have to retreat to Kings Landing.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. There's no way that entire arc is getting wrapped up by episode 3.

The showrunners didn't drop that bit about the Iron Islands if they didn't have the intention of a retreat there.

I think we know how it's going to end- A band of fighters will go on a suicide mission to kill the NK, because once he dies the army falls. That will probably be episode 4.
That's highly debateable. It could easily just be the end of Yara's story arc. She goes home and reclaims her rightful throne. Theon goes back to Winterfell where he feels he belongs and probably dies. The NK has the dragon now so he could easily fly over to the Iron Islands are scorch them.
Well 4 episodes are longer, so should have time and I think a lot of the army will fall but will try to hold off the dead for as long as possible, while the important characters have to retreat to Kings Landing.
How are they escaping though? I mean I guess Jon and Dany could escape on Dragons but how is everyone else getting away? Remember Hardhome? The only way out is by water or air and even then there is a frost dragon now.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's highly debateable. It could easily just be the end of Yara's story arc. She goes home and reclaims her rightful throne. Theon goes back to Winterfell where he feels he belongs and probably dies.

Well, then how does the army of the dead fall? Do you think they get wiped out in episode 3?

Because as you say, if most die at Winterfell then NK's army just gets that much stronger... The only legitimate way to take them out is to have our brave soldiers go on a suicide mission to try and take out the NK and destroy the army. I don't see any other way they win, unless your argument is that the NK wins.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, then how does the army of the dead fall? Do you think they get wiped out in episode 3?

Because as you say, if most die at Winterfell then NK's army just gets that much stronger... The only legitimate way to take them out is to have our brave soldiers go on a suicide mission to try and take out the NK and destroy the army. I don't see any other way they win, unless your argument is that the NK wins.
My theory is that Dany/Jon win at Winterfell. The NK goes down presumably in some epic Dragon battle but at an incredibly heavy price. The remaining forces are now an equal match for whats left in KL.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Hound being defeated first, but Beric gives his life for The Hound so The Hound get's resurrected and defeats the Mountain.

That would be cool and a callback to the books where (Beric or Thoros, don't remember) gives his life to resurrect Catelyn so she becames Stoneheart.

Nov 18, 2017
It's a pretty obvious prediction about ep3, and not related to the Hound/Mountain but:

Winterfell is gonna get stomped.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Game of Thrones has become all about fanservice, so of course it's going to happen.

Both will die probably, because they've also been hyping up that many people die in this season.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That's highly debateable. It could easily just be the end of Yara's story arc. She goes home and reclaims her rightful throne. Theon goes back to Winterfell where he feels he belongs and probably dies.

How are they escaping though? I mean I guess Jon and Dany could escape on Dragons but how is everyone else getting away? Remember Hardhome? The only way out is by water or air and even then there is a frost dragon now.

Some catch a ride on the dragons and others on horse ? A big battle is going to be chaotic, so shouldn't be hard for a few people to slip away.

Also the Night king and his new pet might not be at the battle, the massive army of the dead and a few White Walkers are probably enough to take Winterfell.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Some catch a ride on the dragons and others on horse ? A big battle is going to be chaotic, so shouldn't be hard for a few people to slip away.

Also the Night king and his new pet might not be at the battle, the massive army of the dead and a few White Walkers are probably enough to take Winterfell.
Some counter thoughts:
A "few" people isn't going to be enough to mount any sort of attack on KL or counterattack on the NK. If the Frost Dragon isn't at Winterfell then Dany and Jon can just roast the entire army of the dead from way in the sky.

Oct 29, 2017
Have we ever actually seen the Mountain win something against a named character?

Loras beat him handily, when he lost his shit about that then the Hound managed to hold him off until he fucked off. Oberyn kicked the shit out of him and only lost because he's an idiot.

I know he's got offscreen achievements but other than his ridiculous size I wouldn't be worried about too many named characters going against him.

Maybe I've forgotten something and people can shed some light.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, if the NK fails at Winterfell, why the hell would anyone continue the conflict in the immediate aftermath? They need to destroy NK at some point and he's the self destruct button so they might as well raise the stakes.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
My armchair theory: The Zombie Mountain gets posessed by the night king and fights the Hound with the help of Arya and he's defeated when the Hound uses Berric's flaming sword.

Fanfictiony as fuck but it seems right in line with where D&D seem to be taking these characters.
Shiiit white Walker Mountain... that sounds pretty close.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I think Brienne vs. Bronn would make a better duel than Hound vs. Mountain.

Hound vs. Mountain is just going to be Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant @ Wrestlemania 3. Lots of hype turning into a rather boring match.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Some counter thoughts:
A "few" people isn't going to be enough to mount any sort of attack on KL or counterattack on the NK. If the Frost Dragon isn't at Winterfell then Dany and Jon can just roast the entire army of the dead from way in the sky.

Sure, there are many ways the battle could go but will Dany want to risk her Dragons when the time comes, as she's scared in case the Night king takes another or both......

Maybe The Hound says fuck it half way through the battle, when things look bad and he ends up back at Kings Landing.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
This is a fight where both fighters are past their prime. Years ago it would have done gangbusters, and been a real coinflip which cunt wins. Ill say Mountain has one more head smash left

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Some counter thoughts:
A full on assault? No.

But they have Varys on their side and Varys knows the hidden passages of Kings Landing like nobody else. A sneak attack is much easier and much more likely.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
A full on assault? No.

But they have Varys on their side and Varys knows the hidden passages of Kings Landing like nobody else. A sneak attack is much easier and much more likely.
I like that...but I think it works better if the NK is already dead because how are they going to deal with him if they lose their army at Winterfell.

Oct 29, 2017
More unlikely things that the fandom wanted have happened. Since that the shows seems to have liberties to do as it pleases, then I would be surprised if it doesn't go down.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I like that...but I think it works better if the NK is already dead because how are they going to deal with him if they lose their army at Winterfell.

Maybe anyone left will have to team up with The Golden Company and the remaining Lannister army for the final battle, an uneasy alliance.

Cersie might like the news that Winterfell has fallen but then realises the dead are going to be knocking on her door very soon, especially when she finds out they have a dragon as well.

Oct 26, 2017
I think the bigger trope would be The Hound getting vengeance on his brother as some sort of redemption arc. The Mountain winning would be the "truest" end result.
I think fans would be pissed, but I would love if the expectation is completely thrown away and the two never fight. Or at least don't get to finish their fight. In full fun mode, I want to see Brienne fight The Mountain.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
There's still some of the mountain in there I believe. Didn't somebody insult him and got a stern look? I assume he'll recognize Sandor.

It's definitely happening.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Real question is what drives Cersei north? Gotta be opportunity right? Army in the north is devastated... she sees an opportunity to capitalize, so rushes north to kill off army, and then we get Cleganebowl and some gnarly shit.