• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Clegane Bowl going down?

• Yes

Votes: 246 53.7%
  • No

Votes: 40 8.7%
  • I'm gonna have to eat every fucking chicken in this room

Votes: 172 37.6%

• Total voters

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Assume there will be Spoilers in this thread before going any further:

Title says it all. With only 5 episodes left do you have any level of confidence The Hound is going to fight The Mountain aka Clegane Bowl? I'm guessing it'll be a part of the Battle of Winterfell but perhaps it could be reserved for a finale if somehow the Night King gets defeated early on. Thoughts?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My armchair theory: The Zombie Mountain gets posessed by the night king and fights the Hound with the help of Arya and he's defeated when the Hound uses Berric's flaming sword.

Fanfictiony as fuck but it seems right in line with where D&D seem to be taking these characters.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Clegaine bowl will absolutely happen.

My official prediction is that Sandor will save someone from his brother (probably Arya or Brienne) and they will fight to the death. Sandor will win the fight, but is mortally wounded in the process. Arya will put him out of his misery after he asks her if she remembers where the Heart is.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Do people care anymore? The Mountain is a zombie Terminator now. What satisfaction is there for the hound in facing him? Get the same sense of vengeance from pissing on a grave.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the Hound will use Beric's flaming sword, overcome his fear of fire and burn the Mountain.

Oct 27, 2017
Clegaine bowl will absolutely happen.

My official prediction is that Sandor will save someone from his brother (probably Arya or Brienne) and they will fight to the death. Sandor will win the fight, but is mortally wounded in the process. Arya will put him out of his misery after he asks her if she remembers where the Heart is.

Ooh, I like this one. Especially after their conversation in Ep.1.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
True. The show really ruined the mountain's character. The book will handle it better.

But yeah, it's happening

How will the book handle it better? The Mountain ends up in literally the exact same predicament at the end of the last book as he does in the show. He is a non-verbal walking zombie under the control of Qyburn and Cersei. How is that suddenly going to change in the new books?

Oct 26, 2017
I'll say it again and again and again:

I'm going to be pissed if they go with some stereotypical "they kill each other" shit.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
My armchair theory: The Zombie Mountain gets posessed by the night king and fights the Hound with the help of Arya and he's defeated when the Hound uses Berric's flaming sword.

Fanfictiony as fuck but it seems right in line with where D&D seem to be taking these characters.

Theres no way the night king doesnt end up controlling the mountain, i agree

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Hound eating chickens sitting on Mountain's dead body. Camera rise to sunset,

Fin

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty much been confirmed happening when the Hound confronted his Zombie brother in the Dragon Pit last season.
As per how... I'm going to guess it will revolve around the assassination attempt (hopefully successfully) on Cercei, and will therefore probably also involve Tyrion, Arya and Qyburn.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How will the book handle it better? The Mountain ends up in literally the exact same predicament at the end of the last book as he does in the show. He is a non-verbal walking zombie under the control of Qyburn and Cersei. How is that suddenly going to change in the new books?
I don't know. I'm not a writer. But we know once the show got ahead of the books the writing went to shit. they couldn't rely on George RR Martin any longer. So I'm confident Martin will do a better job. The show has been pretty poor the last couple of seasons.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
48cVdGP.png

I believe, but as a self-respecting denizen of ResetEra I had to vote for the chicken option.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whatever ends up happening, the thing I'm actually most certain of is that the Mountain murders Qyburn in some gruesome way. The setup for a Frankenstein's monster esque end for Qyburn seems super obvious.

Brb, writing my dope new fanfiction.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know. I'm not a writer. But we know once the show got ahead of the books the writing went to shit. they couldn't rely on George RR Martin any longer. So I'm confident Martin will do a better job. The show has been pretty poor the last couple of seasons.

You don't seem to understand what I am saying. GRRM has already made The Mountain into a non-verbal zombie terminator in the books. There is literally nothing different between the Book's version of the Zombie Mountain and the shows Zombie Mountain. Not a single thing.

The show did exactly the same thing with Gregor Clegaine as GRRM did. They changed nothing.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
They start fighting, Gregor tries to grab him but he's just a zombie, far too slow and eventually just limps about and falls down. Sandor takes his brother's helmet off and just he's a moaning and pathectic zombie, that can carry out simple tasks like cutting a peasant's guts out but doesn't have the wits to keep up with a decent opponent. Sandor feeling sorry for him, walks away, realises he's not his brother anymore but a husk of a man. Some peasants then start kicking him to death, as the moutain is walked over and stamped to death by the small people. That would subvert expectations.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
They start fighting, Gregor tries to grab him but he's just a zombie, far too slow and eventually just limps about and falls down. Sandor takes his brother's helmet off and just he's a moaning and pathectic zombie, that can carry out simple tasks like cutting a peasant's guts out but doesn't have the wits to keep up with a decent opponent. Sandor feeling sorry for him, walks away, realises he's not his brother anymore but a husk of a man. Some peasants then start kicking him to death, as the moutain is walked over and stamped to death by the small people. That would subvert expectations.

That'd be an ugly yet fitting death for The Mountain. So it probably won't happen.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Yes. Sandor and Zomgor meet. They're ready to throw down. Zomgor instantly caves Sandor's head in. Zomgor then just drops dead dead. Done.

Wonderfully anti-climactic.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
It'll happen...but I'm not sure how.

Could simply be in the midst of a battle.
Could be a trial by combat for Cersei's life.
Could be The Mountain is taken over by the Night King.
Could be that The Hound is 'The Prince that was promised', he'll draw a flaming sword from a fire .. and then take out The Mountain.
I could see The Hound sacrificing himself to take The Mountain with him.
I could see The Hound sacrficing himself to save Arya from The Mountain.
I could see The Hound being killed by The Mountain and then resurrected by Beric (who gives his life force to save him).

The Mountain will be dead by the end of the series...The Hound is a tougher call.

..but whatever happens, there will be a major key moment where The Hound overcomes his fear of fire to defeat a major enemy/rescue someone/turn the tide of battle (although it might well be after his fear costs someone else their life).

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Have we seen Gregor Clegane fight anyone since he was..uh.. saved??

Aside from smashing some poor peasants head into the wall and wrecking a handful of the Sparrow's loser bodyguards, he hasn't really fought a skilled warrior, has he?

Maybe I'm forgetting someone?

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You don't seem to understand what I am saying. GRRM has already made The Mountain into a non-verbal zombie terminator in the books. There is literally nothing different between the Book's version of the Zombie Mountain and the shows Zombie Mountain. Not a single thing.

The show did exactly the same thing with Gregor Clegaine as GRRM did. They changed nothing.
Still early on the book though. Let's wait and see

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
As a show only fan I'm not sure why people care? The Mountain is just a stack of meat at this point.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018

Maybe. I'm not saying you are wrong, and I'm not taking a side in the GRRM will do it better debate , but we know almost nothing about unGreggor in the books. You are just assuming they are the same. Its even speculated that he doesnt actually have a head, in book discussions.
We know far more about show Gregor than book Gregor at this point. And considering how drastically different some of the other characters are from their show counterparts, we dont know enough about Gregor to state hes the same character at this point.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
It'll happen...but I'm not sure how.

Could simply be in the midst of a battle.
Could be a trial by combat for Cersei's life.
Could be The Mountain is taken over by the Night King.
Could be that The Hound is 'The Prince that was promised', he'll draw a flaming sword from a fire .. and then take out The Mountain.
I could see The Hound sacrificing himself to take The Mountain with him.
I could see The Hound sacrficing himself to save Arya from The Mountain.
I could see The Hound being killed by The Mountain and then resurrected by Beric (who gives his life force to save him).

The Mountain will be dead by the end of the series...The Hound is a tougher call.

..but whatever happens, there will be a major key moment where The Hound overcomes his fear of fire to defeat a major enemy/rescue someone/turn the tide of battle (although it might well be after his fear costs someone else their life).

Let NK take over Mountain while outside King's Landing. He kills Cersei, storms through the Red Keep and eventually dies to a bajillion arrows. Sandor never gets his reunion and when they find his brothers rotting corpse he just goes ham on it because he's selectively vindictive & petty. Or he just sets the Mountain on fire and then has to fight a flaming dark souls boss

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
If it was true to the spirit of the books then if CleganeBowl were to happen it would be the biggest anticlimax of all time, so what should happen is that the Mountain just smashes the Hound instantly and that's that. Game over.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Hound beats Mountain but still manages to die by choking on a chicken during the celebration...

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I think Zombie mountain gets controlled by the Night King and chokes Cersei to death, this happens after he fights and defeats the Hound

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Hound is down on one knee...Robert Strong is just too much for him...Arya jumps in scene with her new darth maul valerian steel weapon and stands back to back with the hound...they precede to dismember Robert Strong with a pageantry and flourish unlike any ever seen since Ser Arthur Dayne, twirling the valerian nunchuck/speardagger between them and cutting Robert Strong into pieces.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm more curious in how these 2 characters will end up in the same place. The Mountain follows Cersei like a pet and I don't see her going North at all, where the Hound currently is.

So...unless the Hound survive the Battle of Winterfell and flee to Kings Landing to escape the undead, I can't see how them fighting make any sense.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Yes it's got to happen. The Hound wins, maybe with a little help from Arya. I want him to survive too.

Arya then crosses him off her list because they have a weird bond and they kinda like each other (just a little bit) after the time they spent together, even though they probably wouldn't admit it.