• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't trust him but people do seem to be more willing to blindly believe what he says than, say, Jim Ryan. His mistruth that Gears 5 sold more than Gears 4 confirmed my suspicions about him.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The same thing happens on all sides you just see it pointed out as much here as the Phil stuff becwise in general this forum really favors Sony. Plus Sony doesn't really have just one main guy running the show like they used to. Think Mark Cerney or hell check out a knack thread lmao. Nintendo had Reggie but he retired but check out any thread he was mentioned, they all have this stupid stuff.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
4dVOD-YbpUXNIF5VBbrGq_-enCz8FcG_K_3e5XlUD7k.png

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do not own a Xbox One, so I am not fully aware of what this man achieved. But I have seen people praise him, and other people complain that it was ridiculous to do so. What I get is that he seems to have been able to give fuel to Xbox One after the damage caused by the previous leadership, which hurt the Xbox brand.But since I don't see the same thing happening with Nintendo and Sony, I am wondering what is this story about Phil Spencer being "worshipped" as I have read several users mentioning this inside the community.

I just got out of the bathroom, is my throne a teleporter to Earth 2?

Everyone has their 'guy' that they think is amazing, Phil is probably the least worshipped of the bunch. He's got nothing on Kaz, Reggie and Lord Gaben.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
People still don't understand the whole company & customer thing. They are not your friends, none of them.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
But since I don't see the same thing happening with Nintendo and Sony
]
giphy.gif

This is a realm of fandom that's been pretty much Sony/Nintendo and Valve. I think the closest Microsoft execs has gotten to this is J. Allard. Phil Spencer has done incredible things and has changed the face of Xbox, but was he in Space Giraffe? No.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Executive worship has a weird parasocial aspect to it, and is is always the most embarrassing part of gaming communities.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Of course. He is a super nice and down to earth dude. X019 people formed a long queue so they could shake his hand, have a quick chat and get him to sign a post/controller etc.

Anyone will a moderate amount of stage presence can get a following. Phil is doing and saying all the right things for the Xbox community.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
He's the only guy at Xbox charismatic enough at an executive level to have fans, and shown to be nice on twitter and in interviews.
It's not deep, there's the same for Sony.
He also turned the Xbox division around completely...

Being a cool guy is one thing but what truly amazes me is the turn around.

If he were just a cool guy I probably wouldn't call him a god in every thread about him.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
He also turned the Xbox division around completely...

Being a cool guy is one thing but what truly amazes me is the turn around.

If he were just a cool guy I probably wouldn't call him a god in every thread about him.
Of course. I'm just saying fandom doesn't happen for uncharismatic people in those companies, even if they turn things around or do good stuff in general.
You don't see many fans for Major Nelson at Xbox or the previous and current Nintendo CEOs.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
its a name and a face to attach all the positive things MS has been doing. is it really different from say the attention/love someone like reggie got? or cerny?

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
Phil's cool

Satoru Iwata (RIP) passed away and Reggie stepped down, at least Miyamoto's still around. Other than him, another good one is Phil. we gotta cherish him

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
He's the only guy at Xbox charismatic enough at an executive level to have fans, and shown to be nice on twitter and in interviews.
It's not deep, there's the same for Sony.
I don't know about "only person", but he's genuine. I've briefly interacted with him in a more informal environment and he's been open, disarmingly honest and is clearly a real gamer.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Dude is genuinely likeable and has overseen the creation of lots of positive games initiatives. Plus he always does great interviews on the giant bomb E3 stage. Gives very genuine answers with very little PR bullshit.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
He's always very down to earth and real during the GB@Nite interviews, I think he's a cool dude.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
He just seems like a good dude. Most people who make a career have literally walked over corpses. I never get this feeling with him.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
He does a lot of interviews and interacts a lot on Twitter. I really like what he's done over the last 5 years.
Not seeing the same from fans of Nintendo and Sony is straight up ignorance.

Last edited:

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Honestly, I haven't liked him since I saw him for the first time years ago, way before he became the head of Xbox.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
He is a great guy.. an amazing exec who basically helped steer the Xbox ship back on course. What's there not to love?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it the idolizing he gets seems tongue-in-cheek, but I obviously can't speak for everyone. He corrected the Xbox course hard, turning the brand from its lowest point to potentially its highest. He deserves praise for his work for sure. Cult of persoanlity is pretty stupid though, as being good in your work means nothing about you as a person. I appreciate what he's done for the console I play the most, it's in a much better place after his philosophy went through. That's it.