• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
OK. My drinking water already has fluoride in it. All it seems toothpaste has going for it is the fluoride and the fact that it uses abrasive silicone to scrape your teeth. Mouth wash is just a burning sensation that "kills" germs.

Do these actually provide any tangible, long term benefits regarding overall mouth health?

Edit for those unable to disassociate toothpaste from brushing: This is not about NOT brushing your teeth. This is about TOOTHPASTE. Do you NEED to brush your teeth with it?

Last edited:

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Ask a family member or significant other to not use toothpaste or mouthwash for a week and then let them breathe in your face. Please report back what you find.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
You should use toothpaste and floss, yes. Mouthwash I'm sure doesn't hurt.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Why can't you people just be normal?
OK. My drinking water already has fluoride in it. All it seems toothpaste has going for it is the fluoride and the fact that it uses abrasive silicone to scrape your teeth. Mouth wash is just a burning sensation that "kills" germs.

Do these actually provide any tangible, long term benefits regarding overall mouth health?
Listerine prevents and treats gum disease so yes

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
juicy.jpg

OP
OP
subpar spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
They're not scams. Dont brush your teeth and see how people react, my guy
Well, what are the studies and benefits of these? All it seems is toothpaste fluoride your mouth. That is if your country fluorides the water for you. Can't you use generic mint to freshen your breath?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Where did this myth come from? You still need to brush your teeth because water fluoride isn't enough and doesn't remove particles. Also brush your tongue. Especially the back. Does wonders

Mouth Wash helps with gingivitis and infection. You don't need it everyday but sometimes toothpaste isn't enough

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just to be sure OP, you're not talking about not brushing but rather not using toothpaste while brushing, right?

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think flossing is more important than brushing (but obviously you should brush). I don't really have any data to back this up, it just feels like it's doing more for my mouth hygiene.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Mouthwash definitely is. Told my dentist I started using some between the last check up and the previous one, and she told me to throw it away right after our appointment. Mouthwash kills all bacteria, not just tbe bad stuff and eventually your body won't be able to regenerate enough good bacteria to keep the bad stuff to cause damage. That could be a rotting tooth or dental plaque for example

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Soap is a scam too. If you wash your clothes regularly and have a quick shower every so often, you'll be golden.

A lot of the so called necessities like soap, toothpaste, toilet paper are just capitalist scams.

OP
OP
subpar spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Mouthwash definitely is. Told my dentist I started using some between the last check up and the previous one, and she told me to throw it away right after our appointment. Mouthwash kills all bacteria, not just tbe bad stuff and eventually your body won't be able to regenerate enough good bacteria to keep the bad stuff to cause damage. That could be a rotting tooth or dental plaque for example
Yeah, mouthwash is weird. It seems to really just act like a liquor meaning it's actually useless to use it if you drink regularly. All it provides at that point is a minty, burn feeling.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Not a scam in itself, but premium brands are virtually only as effective as the cheapest stuff. Do always just buy those.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toothpaste you should use. I''ve had multiple dentists tell me that mouthwash is at best useless and at worst counter-productive, It makes your mouth 'feel' clean but it doesn't do anything and washes away the good stuff left by the paste. Or something. Anyway it's a scam.

Oct 27, 2017
Flossing seems quite important to me. I use those little silicone teepee brushes to floss with and I get a surprising amount of bits out that my electric toothbrush has missed.

Mouthwash I'm not convinced about and it's generally fairly unpleasant.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
isn't the weekend over? Why is Weekend ERA still running things?

Is this the new 'anti-vax' idiosyncrasies but for dental health instead?

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Toothpaste you should use. I''ve had multiple dentists tell me that mouthwash is at best useless and at worst counter-productive, It makes your mouth 'feel' clean but it doesn't do anything and washes away the good stuff left by the paste. Or something. Anyway it's a scam.
From what I've heard, the fluoride from toothpaste helps get into to the gums with flossing. Mouthwash flushes that away.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Edit for those unable to disassociate toothpaste from brushing: This is not about NOT brushing your teeth. This is about TOOTHPASTE. Do you NEED to brush your teeth with it?
For the love of God, brush your teeth and wash your mouth. People don't realize how much they stink out of their mouth if unchecked.

And most importantly, use floss to actuality clean your teet.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Why can't you people be normal for just one fucking week? Man, y'all really try your hardest to not act like normal fucking people that don't lack common sense or basic hygiene, huh?

I use toothpaste, mouthwash and floss and I don't fucking care if any of that shit is scientifically backed or not, because I have not once in my life had any cavities or any other dental problems & my dentist is always in awe when she sees how healthy my mouth is compared to many others so I'm not gonna stop using any of that.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Abrasive force/friction is required to remove plaque. Hence flossing. Not with a water pick (that's good in addition to normal flossing, but not a replacement).

Toothpastes benefits are this. Flouride, technically if you get it in your water it's actually better than the toothpaste itself. The other benefit is fresh breath, some have some ability to kill germs. But generally it's just the plaque removal from brushing.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone has tiny food particles between their teeth. They smell bad. Flossing gets rid of them. Is this a medically necessary routine? Maybe not, but it sure makes my mouth smell a lot better.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Does it have a medical benefit? Who gives a shit! Using toothpaste, and flossing makes your breath smell good and removes trapped food and that's all that matters.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why can't you people just be normal?

Listerine prevents and treats gum disease so yes

Mouthwash is not good for you. It has more negatives than positives going for you. Ask your dentist.

- Causes more cavities (you kill the good microbiomes which are important for healing your teeth)
- Dries your mouth and gums
- does not correct bad breath at all (floss or get yourself checked out if you have big troubles with that)

If you really want to use mouthwashes than use an all natural ones without any alcohol etc.

Listerine and it's marketing back then are the reason mouthwash even exists.

OP Of course you should use those things (mouthwash is a scam though), but you should floss too in that order:

- floss things out
- scrap your tongue (reason many people have bad breath)
- start scrubbing your teeth with a good toothpaste (check some new product studies out and take the best one where you currently live)

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Stop brushing your teeth and wait for the tooth ache to kick in. Not one of the best pains to have.