• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I actually think flossing is more important than brushing (but obviously you should brush). I don't really have any data to back this up, it just feels like it's doing more for my mouth hygiene.

My dentist is always going on about how important flossing is and I should try to do it everyday.

I even bought a Philips AirFloss which should make flossing take like a minute. My girlfriend didn't like it as it doesn't remove the plaque from between the teeth. Few days later I was at a checkup at my dentist and she said the AirFloss is not effective and I should do it manually.
Fucking 100€ wasted.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Brushing your teeth with toothpaste is good. Trust me. Personal experience with that. Dental health is important.

However, I still don't get how to floss and how to do it well. I don't get to the places I think I should get. Still, also good to do it. Mouthwash I only use it sometimes since it burns my tongue even fi it doesn't have alcohol.

Canoli316

Jan 19, 2018
A Dentist told me that the toothpastes with baking soda and peroxide don't do anything so that might be a scam in their view but I do miss Mentadent. My teeth and mouth felt so clean after brushing. That was my shit.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Mouthwash is not good for you. It has more negatives than positives going for you. Ask your dentist.

- Causes more cavities (you kill the good microbiomes which are important for healing your teeth)
- Dries your mouth and gums
- does not correct bad breath at all (floss or get yourself checked out if you have big troubles with that)

If you really want to use mouthwashes than use an all natural ones without any alcohol etc.

Listerine and it's marketing back then are the reason mouthwash even exists.

OP Of course you should use those things (mouthwash is a scam though), but you should floss too in that order:

- floss things out
- scrap your tongue (reason many people have bad breath)
- start scrubbing your teeth with a good toothpaste (check some new product studies out and take the best one where you currently live)
Nah mouthwash reduces the risk of cavities. Use a mouthwash with lower alcohol content if it's drying your mouth out too much. Anti-septic mouthwashes do kill bacteria indiscriminately, but that doesn't lead to cavities - it leads to you being more at risk from pathogens. It's a risk, but protecting your teeth from decay and plaque is worth it imo.
I have good oral hygiene personally and I know how to brush my whole mouth. We should all be brushing twice a day anyway

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mouthwash is pretty useless.

Just get a good electric toothbrush and good toothpaste. That's all you really need.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah mouthwash reduces the risk of cavities. Use a mouthwash with lower alcohol content if it's drying your mouth out too much. Anti-septic mouthwashes do kill bacteria indiscriminately, but that doesn't lead to cavities - it leads to you being more at risk from pathogens. It's a risk, but protecting your teeth from decay and plaque is worth it imo.
I have good oral hygiene personally and I know how to brush my whole mouth. We should all be brushing twice a day anyway

No alcohol at all. You ain't protecting shit if you kill the microbiomes which are important for your oral hygiene. Only if you use therepeutic mouthwash (which I know most people don't if they talk about Listerine) you do good. Otherwise it doesn't help. It's the same thing with clothing softener that the industry introduced for people and they think it helps (no it coats your things in wax and harms your clothes).

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
i think the misunderstanding with mouthwash is that people only use it after brushing.

in my opinion it is much better to use after a meal when you can't be bothered to brush, or just coming home from work or being out.
when coming home i always wash hands and rinse mouth because im not a filthy animal.

i brush at least twice a day with an electric toothbrush, rinse with mouthwash at least twice a day and floss at least once usually in the evening.

if i skip flossing or mouthwash i quickky get a shitty feeling in my mouth.
skipping the brushing with toothpaste is just insane.

Last edited:

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
Mouthwash probably not.

Toothpaste does hit your teeth more than just using the toothbrush solo. I couldn't go without floss with how much stuff gets stuck between my teeth.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you live in a country that flourides the drinking water then you should be fine with something that isn't toothpaste.
There are two types of fluoride: systemic and topical. The fluoridated water you drink allowed fluoride into your system and helps during tooth development. Once your teeth are out, though, you'll need to apply fluoride topically to prevent cavities.

Moreover, toothpaste also contains other ingredients, like abrasives, that help to loosen plaque.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Brush twice a day with cheap home brand tooth paste, no mouthwash, no floss has been my recipe for the past twenty years and I've had no issues at dental checkups at all. I use a regular (soft) toothbrush even.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
See, calling toothpaste a scam pre-supposes that it is unnecessary from the outset, rather than its need being reduced or negated by the circumstances in which you find yourself.

And even then, fluoridating water is, as I understand it, more a matter of mitigation that it is a total removal of the benefit provided by brushing separately. It's just that, knowing a lot of people will either not brush at all, or will fail to do so consistently, having it be part of the water supply helps reduce tooth decay generally:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
stop it subby. just stop it.

(no don't stop brushing you fool, stop trying to find hacks and scams in the common sense shit we have done for thousands of years because of very good reasons like washing our bodies and cleaning our mouths. please stop)

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Mouthwash is really not necessary, but it does not hurt and I would not call it a scam.

Everything else ... BIG YIKES

OP
OP
subpar spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
stop it subby. just stop it.

(no don't stop brushing you fool, stop trying to find hacks and scams in the common sense shit we have done for thousands of years because of very good reasons like washing our bodies and cleaning our mouths. please stop)
at night the internet teaches me things. i have to explore to the truth.

Zeroneo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why so many people are so mad at the OP for asking a simple question. I was actually curious myself. Don't you question the things you regularly do?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
- Dentists recommend toothpaste
- Dentists make money out of pulling rotting teeth
- Toothpaste recommended by dentists is designed to rot your teeth to make them money

I'm kidding

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
- Dentists recommend toothpaste
- Dentists make money out of pulling rotting teeth
- Toothpaste recommended by dentists is designed to rot your teeth to make them money

I'm kidding

There is genuinely an issue where if you've got toothpaste above a given concentration of fluoride, or has too high an RDA level, it's best not to use it because that in itself will start acting against your teeth, gums, so on.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
But the best is to get your teeth checked and cleaned every 6 months.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
You can brush with baking soda and use an oral peroxide as mouthwash.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
What evidence do you have that toothpaste is a scam? Just asking questions.?

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
As someone who had very very bad glandular fever a few years ago, to the extent that opening my mouth caused excruciating pain - I found it really hard to brush my teeth for as long or as regularly as I had the rest of my life. I was pretty much on liquid foods for months too - like I said it was a really really bad case that escalated into other things. Now, I'm fine but the amount of plaque and gum damage I had done by not being as good with my dental hygiene then, is still something I'm repairing years later. My gums still bleed at times (but much much less than they used to) and I personally think there's more discolouration from my teeth beyond what was already there from growing up in a household with heavy smokers as parents until my teens.

So from first hand experience I know even lapsed dental hygiene or less dental hygiene is bad for your mouth. I've also known people who stopped brushing cold turkey because 'they can't be bothered' or 'there's no point' and their teeth are fine... for now. By the time they're older, I've seen what happens to people with that attitude. I would say, even if you think like these people, please try to brush at least once a day (which still isn't enough imo) to give your mouth a cleanse and freshen up that breath. It is important!

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It's funny seeing how many people are still reacting to the thread title, as though OP is saying they don't brush at all..

Anyway:

Mouthwash you can - and probably should - skip. My dentist really wanted me to drop it, so I did. She said it could do more harm than good, no matter how "clean" it made my mouth feel.
Toothpaste is fine, but there are all kinds of brands that put all kinds of shit in there. You might be better off sticking with cheaper stuff.
Flossing is super important, and it's skipped over the most. That's why people that brush their teeth every day still get cavities.

You should ask your dentist about this stuff.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
tenor.gif

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Toothpaste is for nerds op, never use it. I mean look at me

RigidSomeFlyingfox-size_restricted.gif

And not a soul can tell i haven't brushed since i was a child.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't people in this site be normal for just one day. I am not even asking for a week, just one day

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should be using both if you can. Toothpaste is great for topical fluoride action and the Fluoride from the water probably isn't enough unless you're drinking a LOT of tap water, and you're sure your water is actually fluoridated. Even if you think you're good it's probably $2.

Mouthwash depends on the brand but the alcohol free ones with fluoride are great for using throughout the day after you had coffee or whatever. It'll make your breath smell better and get stuff off your teeth, the purple listerine is good for gum health as well.

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017
Prevention is better than cure ya dummy. Plus it nicer to keep your teeth fresh and shiny as it adds little bit of self-confidence.