• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Yes and no...
All those fancy toothpastes are probably overkill, or in the case of flouride toothpaste, doesn't stay on your teeth long enough to have an impact (presuming you wash your mouth out). You can use baking soda or just brush and rinse. But there are sensitive toothpastes which genuinely help with sensitivity. I just prefer a minty clean aftertaste.
Mouthwash can have negative effects. My dentist said it's okay to use in small amounts, but it kills all bacteria (good and bad) and dries your mouth out leading to less protection. Flossing is more important.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Toothpaste is good, i dunno about mouthwash though.
Fuck flossing with old ass wires and brushees, Waterpik is the GOAT.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Yes toothpaste, detergent, soap, toilet papers, pads, or any hygiene product is a big fat scam. Capitalism at its best. Fuck billionaires, they also want to change thanksgiving name.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Well, what are the studies and benefits of these? All it seems is toothpaste fluoride your mouth. That is if your country fluorides the water for you. Can't you use generic mint to freshen your breath?
Fluoride helps the enamel on your teeth but it doesn't do anything to scrub teeth, gums, etc. Stop brushing your teeth for even 2 weeks and go to a dentist and see how they react. Gingivitis, cavities, etc.

Do you think people lose their teeth because they don't drink enough water with fluoride in it?

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
For all the people having trouble with flossing, try a water flosser and thank me later:
v120177.001

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
Mouthwash is definitely not mandatory.

Much better to just floss, use a tongue scraper and brush.

Pickleslips

Jan 25, 2018
toothpaste is for the fresh feeling but basically does nothing. Flossing and brushing is all you need, the bad breath is bacteria and toothpaste ain't killing shit.

Animismus

Oct 27, 2017
You totally disregard the fact that we eat a lot of processed sugar and stopped having to basically chew our food since we got so good at cooking it. That is why we have to not only brush - which you said is not the OP question - but also use something that brings the pH up (acid to more neutral) from the all the sugar you are having in your superwhite bread, your processed juices, etc.
Fluoride is half the answer!

Dec 2, 2017
I made a whole thread about how I basically never brushed my teeth for a good decade or so and mow my teeth are all rotten and need to be taken out or are falling out. So no, it's not a scam.

Pegaknight

Dec 1, 2019
Teeth work exactly like those clickbait videos where people stop washing their hair with shampoo and it starts cleaning itself after a few months.
Thank me later.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A former classmate used to believe that toothpaste provoked Cancer so he mever used it. To this day I can't forget the smell out of his mouth.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
You don't need the mouthwash. It's just cleaner.

The toothpaste, ya need that. Not the "fancy" overcharged buzz items, though.

Flossing, some people can get by without flossing (teeth spacing) and some can floss all the time and still have cavity issues (genetics?). I didn't floss when I was a teen and always had to get fillings until my parents made me pay for them. Been flossing ever since with zero fillings/cavities. My cleanings go much more smoothly now and my mouth never looks like I just finished filming a Rocky scene.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
damn maybe smash players were onto something
maybe it's just the deodorant that's a scam.

Nov 4, 2017
ITT are people who don't know how toothpaste works. Aside from the flouride, toothpaste contains small abrasives that help remove plaque from your teeth when brushing.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
OK. My drinking water already has fluoride in it. All it seems toothpaste has going for it is the fluoride and the fact that it uses abrasive silicone to scrape your teeth. Mouth wash is just a burning sensation that "kills" germs.

Do these actually provide any tangible, long term benefits regarding overall mouth health?

Edit for those unable to disassociate toothpaste from brushing: This is not about NOT brushing your teeth. This is about TOOTHPASTE. Do you NEED to brush your teeth with it?

I'm sure there is a youtube video that answers this somehow. Just below the antivaxxer ones.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Soap is a scam too. If you wash your clothes regularly and have a quick shower every so often, you'll be golden.

A lot of the so called necessities like soap, toothpaste, toilet paper are just capitalist scams.
Haha, I hear your opinion, but I'm going to have to politely decline. You do you though.

I'm cool with dropping a few quid on toiletries every few weeks. I quite like smelling fresh every morning, instead of just sprinkling water on my pits.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's a marketing scheme. Why is it only good for your teeth? Seems to me like that's a fancy way to sell you on non-teeth products when something that's good enough for those hardened bastards should be good for the rest of your body.

deadman322

Oct 29, 2017
Topically applied fluoride doesn't prevent tooth decay. It does render teeth detectable by spy satellite.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Toothpaste - Probably helps, but not neccisary.

Mouthwash - waste

Flossing - I used to get cavities and poor marks during dental visits. This changed when I started usuing flossers. If I don't use them for a while I can actually feel the plaque being removed.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it was only a matter of time until we started debating basic hygiene. This is good actually, it'll mentally prepare me for the inevitable thread asking if we really need to wipe our ass?

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Sometimes I wonder how some here find their way out of bed in the morning...

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
This is not about NOT brushing your teeth. This is about TOOTHPASTE. Do you NEED to brush your teeth with it?
My dad brushes his teeth but doesn't use toothpaste and his breath will clear a room. I think toothpaste is like using underarm deodorant in which it helps kill off those bacteria that cause a stink. I don't personally use mouth wash though and I don't have bad breath or bad teeth.

Edit: I also think of brushing teeth like washing a car. You mix water and the cleaning liquid, lather them up and scrub until clean. Then CLEAN OFF THE STUFF WITH WATER. You don't leave the soap on the car, you hose it off. So gargle with water and spit that toothpaste out you weirdos who just spit after brushing.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I hate when people discount the importance of flossing. I'm pretty sure removing a chunk of steak jammed in the depths of my gums is a net benefit for the health of my mouth.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I like using mouthwash. Not only do my gums stop bleeding after a few days of using it but my mouth feels cleaner and fresher the whole day. Not sure about the science of it but it certainly feels beneficial to me. I only use the green and purpe listerine, every other brand or types of listerine I've tried didn't convince me.
I feel like the mouth needs something really strong to really get the job done, feels great to me.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
some of y'all just want yellow teeth and bad breath I swear. Yes OP, you need toothpaste for a well maintained mouth.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I never was a believer of mouthwash before but it did improve my gums so regardless of what others tell me I will still use mouthwash. The purple Listerine ones at least.

As for toothpaste, of course you need it. Otherwise, people from the older times that never experienced toothpaste would have historically better oral hygiene.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mouthwash isn't a scam for me. I have my wisdom teeth still and they used to get infected at least once a year, then I'd have to deal with god awful pain until I could get to the dentist and get an antibiotic prescription. Ever since I started using antiseptic mouthwash, I haven't had a wisdom tooth infection in like 5 years.