• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember my grandma brushing her teeth with some sort of baking soda shit she mixed with something else every morning her entire life.

She had most of her teeth until she died at 77 and I don't recall her breathe smelling.

So maybe you can use other things? But I don't think just water and a brush will do the trick very well lol.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Toothpaste, yes it's important. It strengthens the enamel on your teeth and (depending on the toothpaste) can provide a protective layer if you have sensitive teeth.

Mouthwash is hogwash. I've been told by 3 different hygienists that, while you SHOULD rinse, you should just use water.

moeman

Oct 25, 2017

This article doesn't make a very convincing argument. It cited one study (which if you read the study states that only plaque was studied and not the other things flossing can help with). Floss can help get food stuck between your teeth out. The food that gets stuck there, even if it stays for a day, can become colonized with bacteria and become foul smelling. This can lead to increased inflammation of your gums and major halitosis. So floss yo.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
For me, most toothpastes cause an allergic reaction. I don't use them at all.

I brush with warm water only, but I get more frequent cleanings at the dentist to help regulate mouth pH.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is highly advisable that you brush your teeth with toothpaste. Please brush your teeth with toothpaste.

I've heard mixed things on flossing and mouthwash. For flossing, I think some people need it and some people don't. I personally think I need it, especially with the permanent retainer that I have. Mouthwash is probably the least essential of them all, but I personally use it anyway because why not.

I've had a history of bad tooth hygiene, an entire solidified wall of tartar on my lower front teeth at one point with the risk of periodontal. Ever since I've gotten it cleaned out I've utilized all three of these things and my teeth are better than ever. Never hurts to be thorough.

Oct 27, 2017
Also, in case it has not been stated, you do not need to use a fluoridated toothpaste if your water supply already contains fluoride. Use an Arm & Hammer baking soda toothpaste or something. But physically scrubbing (SOFTLY!) your teeth will eliminate food residue that can cause cavities (due to bacteria leaving behind corrosive material as part of their food-breakdown process).

I don't know why OP is so fixated on fluoride.

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toilet paper is also a scam. I wipe my butt by rubbing against trees.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
water is not abrasive enough to brush with.

mouthwash depends on the person, bad breath stems from either stomach/nasal problems (like sinuses) or mouth bacteria causing it. if you don't have bacteria causing it, it's rather useless yes.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Brush your teeth with toothpaste and floss regularly.

It's so sad that people try to question the need for basic hygiene.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are those homeless guys on the street still alive if they can't brush or floss?

Checkmate, scam artists

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Also, in case it has not been stated, you do not need to use a fluoridated toothpaste if your water supply already contains fluoride. Use an Arm & Hammer baking soda toothpaste or something. But physically scrubbing (SOFTLY!) your teeth will eliminate food residue that can cause cavities (due to bacteria leaving behind corrosive material as part of their food-breakdown process).

Hell, y'all ain't need to get shit minty fresh or whatever either; it's all about managing bacterial populations and making sure the shit that causes decay doesn't stick on there. Honestly I think the best way to control breath quality is by maintaining a good fluid intake during the day (major factor in 'morning breath' is that you're going roughly 1/3 of the day without having any water).

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think a lot of it has to do with genetics, I only brush my teeth like every other day and never use mouth wash or floss, and I've never even gotten a cavity. Hell I went a couple of years without brushing them at all.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Toilet paper is a scam, the Anus evolved to naturally cleanse itself.
Ive felt more energetic and healthy since I stopped wiping.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Toothpaste is not a scam.

Mouthwash really doesn't do anything by most accounts, and in some cases does harm by affecting helpful mouth bacteria while supposedly trying to kill "bad" mouth bacteria. Mouthwash should be thought of more like makeup, it might make you feel good, and so if it does, go for it. Is confidence or a "Fresh feeling" health-related? In the same way a haircut or lipstick is -- sure, why not.

The jury of medical science is out on whether "Listerine prevents gum diseases." It's an alcohol-based solution, so it'll kill some organisms just like using an alcohol cleanser on on your acne might, but the idea that it's actively fighting against gum disease and doing so effectively is a marketing exaggeration. Don't mistake marketing slogans for actual health recommendations.

Listerine has a wonderful history of claiming to treat things as a miracle cure that it's never been proven to do anything to. It was originally used to clean floors, which sure, it did a fairly okay job at like any alcohol-based cleanser; Then it was marketed as treating gonorrhea, which it didn't work at all, then the common cold, and everything else, until finally Listerine basically made up the concept of "Halitosis," the word was basically unknown in english, and they hit on something a lot of people worry about but probably don't need to -- chronic bad breath (which listerine really can't treat at all, as most chronic bad breath is way past your mouth)

Incidentally SYSK reposted their ep on Halitosis a couple weeks back: https://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podcasts/sysk-selects-halitosis-worst-smell-ever.htm

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
In America, yeah you're already on decent state with fluoride in the water.

Brushing still important but it puts you in good stead.

Most of the world doesn't have that luxury

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Toothbrushes remove stuck plaque from the surface of your teeth and in between them.

Mouthwash should be used periodically but you don't have to do it everyday. Most important is brushing and flossing.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Quoting myself from the leg washing thread in May...
It's an extra twenty seconds to make you a less repugnant and foul smelling human, what universe could you possibly live in where you're able to justify neglecting to do this?

Wash your entire fucking body from your hair to toes (WITH SOAP), keep your damn nails and hair trimmed, use deodorant and brush and floss your damn teeth at least twice a day at minimum. It's so incredibly easy and will literally never have a negative effect and if some musty bastard replies to this hoping to dissuade me from this stance or justify why they're allowed to pollute my breathing air with their booty stank and armpit sweat, I will lose my damn mind.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Floss and brush is all you need. Mouthwash only good for in-between/temporary freshness but it's not required and I would use it very sparringly (most dentists don't recommend using at all).

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
How about you try this, subpar spatula

Stop brushing with toothpaste between my your next two checkup & clean visits to your dentist and see if they notice you haven't been using toothpaste.

Then tell them you aren't if they don't say anything.

OP
OP
subpar spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
How about you try this, subpar spatula

Stop brushing with toothpaste between my your next two checkup & clean visits to your dentist and see if they notice you haven't been using toothpaste.

Then tell them you aren't if they don't say anything.
I actually just got back from my cleaning. Hygienist asked about my cleaning routine, etc. Took x-rays. Dentist looked at my teeth. No cavities, no whatever, and to be fair. I've been pretty lax. I basically stopped flossing years ago, i'll brush once a day, but lightly, and rarely use mouth wash. Gums were 3mm and lower, very little build up below bottom retainer, etc. No issues were brought up. Maybe I should see a new dentist.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I actually just got back from my cleaning. Hygienist asked about my cleaning routine, etc. Took x-rays. Dentist looked at my teeth. No cavities, no whatever, and to be fair. I've been pretty lax. I basically stopped flossing years ago, i'll brush once a day, but lightly, and rarely use mouth wash. Gums were 3mm and lower, very little build up below bottom retainer, etc. No issues were brought up. Maybe I should see a new dentist.

Do you have a low-sugar/low-acidity diet? That can have a huge impact on how healthy your teeth can be

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Skip the mouthwash and start chewing a sugar free gum during the day.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My dentist said mouthwash is a waste of money and does nothing, but yeah, you'll want to use toothpaste.