• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
So I was watching the PS5 tear down here

youtu.be

PS5 Teardown - A Repairability Perspective

► iFixit Coupon Code: https://ifixit.com/tronicsfix ► iFixit Manta Precision Bit Set: Amazon (paid link) https://geni.us/XQLwaW PS5 Teardown - A Repairabilit...

At 3:10, he shows the fan from the top and it seems it's a delta fan ( which was the fan that used to make the PS4 go crazy loud while others ( Nidec) not as bad .

true enough I opened my PS5 cover and it's a Nidec fan. Which explains why my system is quiet while some people reporting noisy PS5
If that's the case then god help us all.

to tell the difference , this is from the PS4 but applies here

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Can't make assumptions on something like this yet. Most noise complaints I've heard on here have to do with the PSU capacitors causing coil whine.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Are we really going to make assumptions? And the noise people are listening isn't even from the fan as far as I know.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
This thread, despite probably good intentions, is going to spread a huge amount of anxiety onto people. It feels like this may be jumping the gun rather quickly but who knows, right?

OP
OP
//DEVIL//

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Can't make assumptions on something like this yet. Most noise complaints I've heard on here have to do with the PSU capacitors causing coil whine.
Uh sure I can. I have been following this since early days of PS4 There are videos during the PS4 showing the huge difference.
And no not PSU capacitors ( if anything the coil wine is not from there bud )
Regardless. I am just pointing out there are 2 versions of fans on ps5 just like the PS4 , and from past experience , it fucking sucks

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The coil whine some people are discussing is not caused by fan noise, rather it is electromagnetic noise. So it might be a bit too soon to state that there are any tangible differences between these two fan variants, as the fan noise doesn't appear to be the reported issue in the first place.

I'm sure eventually someone will compare the two fan variants, though I'd be a bit surprised if Delta messed up a second time (though it's entirely possible), especially given it's an entirely different fan size and design. Larger fans are by design intended to be quieter/spin at lower rpm, whilst still providing more airflow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
//DEVIL//

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
The coil whine some people are discussing is not caused by fan noise, rather it is electromagnetic noise. So it might be a bit too soon to state there's any tangible difference between these two fan variants, as the fan noise isn't the reported issue in the first place.
Coil wine has nothing to do with fan noise . Some people in the other thread reported their ps5 is loud . Not from a coil wine

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Uh sure I can. I have been following this since early days. There are videos during the PS4 showing the huge difference.
Just because something existed or happened on the PS4 doesn't mean the same thing will happen with the PS5. The PS5 fan is totally different from what was in the PS4 and PS4 Pro. You can't compare the two, even if there's more than one manufacturer.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
It's too early to early to make assumptions about the specific fan model. And most of the 'noise' people are reporting is coil whine, which even a lot of high-end graphics cards have.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
It might be the same brand but not the same fan. They could've improved the design since the PS4.

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't read the entire thread yet but I can say mine is definitely louder than I expected based off peoples comments. Sometimes it spools up for no reason too.

*edit*
Read through all prior comments. Mine is definitely fan noise and not the coil whine (had that on the OG Xbox One so familiar with that noise.)

OP
OP
//DEVIL//

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Haven't read the entire thread yet but I can say mine is definitely louder than I expected based off peoples comments. Sometimes it spools up for no reason too.

*edit*
Read through all prior comments. Mine is definitely fan noise and not the coil whine (had that on the OG Xbox One so familiar with that noise.)
Would you open your cover and let us know which one you have ?

I posted a picture of which is Nidec and which is delta

Shion2

Aug 3, 2020
My launch PS4 Pro has a Nidec fan and it sounds like a leaf blower, I don't think this has anything to do with the fan brand. Both Delta and Nidec are reputable brands in this field.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Fan lottery but this same youtuber tested the two on the pro and it was a 1db difference...

I remember watching videos of people testing different fans on the pro and while the Delta had a bit more of a higher pitch, both fans were "loud" and that was just because of the design of the Pro.

The size of the fans in the PS5 and its other cooling should make this a non issue.

Another issue I remember about fan replacement videos was that people would clean the dust out of their pro and put new paste and thermal pads and then only make the comparison between fans and not just all the other stuff they changed.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Yeah this isn't definitive proof of anything. We're hearing of console issues because it's a new launch. Those with defective consoles are the most vocal especially around this time.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

One of my EVGA GPUs loves to go 100% fan speed when just hitting the desktop sometimes for a few seconds, seemingly before the settings have loaded, and it seems so random.

OP
OP
//DEVIL//

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Fan lottery but this same youtuber tested the two on the pro and it was a 1db difference...

I remember watching videos of people testing different fans on the pro and while the Delta had a bit more of a higher pitch, both fans were "loud" and that was just because of the design of the Pro.

The size of the fans in the PS5 and its other cooling should make this a non issue.

Another issue I remember about fan replacement videos was that people would clean the dust out of their pro and put new paste and thermal pads and then only make the comparison between fans and not just all the other stuff they changed.

If I remember correctly in that video he didn't do proper thermal installation on the Nidec fan ps4 .
And there are other videos showing the difference before and after they installed a Nidec fan.

I am just pointing out there are at least 2 fan companies and at least one of them was super bad last gen .

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Would you open your cover and let us know which one you have ?

I posted a picture of which is Nidec and which is delta
I got about 4 minutes into the video and not sure if I feel the most comfortable taking it apart. Is it just pushing off the top cover that would be able to tell or actual removing of things?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
The coil whine some people are discussing is not caused by fan noise, rather it is electromagnetic noise. So it might be a bit too soon to state that there are any tangible differences between these two fan variants, as the fan noise doesn't appear to be the reported issue in the first place.

I'm sure eventually someone will compare the two fan variants, though I'd be a bit surprised if Delta messed up a second time (though it's entirely possible), especially given it's an entirely different fan size and design. Larger fans are by design intended to be quieter/spin at lower rpm, whilst still providing more airflow.
Even ignoring the coil whine, the fan is audible in a quiet environment even when the system is idle in the home screen.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Mine has been silent so far, actually my Series X has been the one that has made some noise, but I don't care if it has a banana for a fan, as long as I can't hear it, it's all good.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I think the noise some people are hearing from their PS5s is coil whine, not fan noise. This is the case for my ps5 as well. The fan is extremely quiet -- almost as quiet as my Series X -- but the coil whine is not. I have mitigated it by placing my ps5 behind the TV (DE so it doesn't matter it's out of reach for me).

See the discussion here (especially later in the thread when some people had the whine develop only after some hours of use):

www.resetera.com

Reports of Loud Coil Whine on PS5 Sony - Tech

Disclaimer: I speak for my own anecdotal experience with my PS5 and my brothers, as well as what I’ve seen posted online. This is in no way indicative of a mass problem with PS5’s. All units are not created equal and noise tolerances vary with the individual. That said, if there is an issue...

Warning: Coil whine can be a "cannot unhear" type thing once you hear it... so in this case, if nothing is bothering you, ignorance is bliss. Just enjoy the console. It is not harmful, just noisy (and some are more sensitive than others).

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Only because the Ps4 Pro delta fans were loud, it doesn't mean all their coolers will be too.

Xbox Series X also uses delta fans btw

fQBofmE.png

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
The only noise I've heard from my PS5 is the disc drive when installing games. Not gonna lie, it made me panic a little when I heard it. It's been super silent during gameplay. This is good info to have, though, thanks OP.

Vundu

Dec 9, 2017
Uh sure I can. I have been following this since early days of PS4 There are videos during the PS4 showing the huge difference.
Regardless. I am just pointing out there are 2 versions of fans on ps5 just like the PS4 , and from past experience , it fucking sucks

Not the same fan as in PS4 so you cannot compare. Just because the make is the same.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
My fan was kinda loud on my PS5 today, but only while I was using the disk drive to install a game on the SSD. I haven't played a game yet via disk to see if it continues. Anyone else experience a similar thing?

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
The only noise I've heard from my PS5 is the disc drive when installing games. Not gonna lie, it made me panic a little when I heard it. It's been super silent during gameplay. This is good info to have, though, thanks OP.
I posted about the same thing above. So it's silent playing games via the disk drive?

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
This is just fear mongering. You can't just make those assumptions after a couple of days, especially without testing.

nath999

May 7, 2018
The PS5 Isn't completely silent, I sit pretty close to mine and when I take off my headset you can hear the hum of the fan or the disc drive spinning.

Lightning1981

Mar 31, 2019
Eh I'm happy with the noise of the ps5 that I have. I haven't used the disk drive yet though, just downloaded and used the ssd.

Akusar

Oct 27, 2017
The only reason Sony uses fans from two companies is so that they can produce as many PS5 as possible. There is no way to tell which one is the "budget" version.

Status
Not open for further replies.