• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Does it matter?

• No.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • Yes.

Votes: 135 65.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I know this is hypothetical to the nth degree - but it's not all that farfetched. MS has a gigantic mfg arm for computers, and probably a lean mean supply chain to go with it. Not only that, MS has an unreal amount of $.

Let's extend this a bit: they announce every possible game anyone has ever wanted from them to be launch titles - halo, ninja gaiden black 2*, fable, crimson skies, you think it, its announced.

They have bought enough studios to provide 3-4 exclusives a year for a long time, and it is becoming apparent that MS is finally willing to put up whatever money it takes to get software and hardware and services that are as compelling as they can make them.

Does it matter?

* electric boogaloo

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Of course that would matter. Just look at the 360 vs PS3. That's a huge price difference and if Microsoft launches with strong software they would surely take the American market (against Sony) under these circumstances.

I would also switch from Playstation back to MS under these conditions.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
No

But thats because of where we are technology wise with regards to power

Diminishing returns and all that

Oh and software is king. Though I will say the gap is closing quickly. We are kind of at the point now where it doesnt matter what platform you are on... You can basically play what you want where you want for most big games

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Game library is important, but if they can tout more power at that much of a cheaper price, I don't see how they don't do extremely well for themselves.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Of course it would, provided there's good software for it.

I hope Microsoft will take the crown back next generation. The PS4 is kind of a poorly made system (loud fans, terrible menu, laggy menu, etc.) and even the Pro (from what I've experienced at my sibling's) is. Meanwhile, the Xbox One is much quieter and more powerful. Sony's also pretty arrogant and anti-consumer.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait wait. What if they give it out for free and make it 10 times more powerful?

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
UMMMMMM
what?
why would the next xbox be more powerful and cost less.
it doesnt work like that you know. especially considering it is very likely sony is taking a loss on the PS5 looking at their huge expected profit drop.
In fact so far MS has been the one to show they are interested in higher cost manchines so far. Your questions should have been "xbox 2 is 20% more powerful and 100$ more than the ps5 does it matter?" or say ps5 is weaker but cheaper. There is absolutely zero reason for sony's machine to be so pricier and weaker than MS's.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
$100 less and more powerful? Of course it matters. Not that Sony would get killed, because that's not going to happen. But it will energize Xbox sales to where they'd likely be neck and neck with Sony in some countries.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would matter.

But being €100 cheaper and being 20% less powerful would also work.

If they are both in the same ball park power wise and get all the same games, the cheapest will always do better.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course? Price, especially. The average people knew shit about DRM and not that many knew about the pixels, but for sure they've all seen that the PS4 costed a whole hundred dollars less. So it definitely mattered at launch.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying it's going to win them the Gen, world wide sales matter far too much for that, but this will slow PS5 sales and increase XBnext sales... After 5 years, you will see both consoles at 55-65 Million OR one will fail and you'll see a 80 Million units for the next console and with the failure less than 50% behind it, much like this gen. Midgen refreshes are also going to be a pain, because people might hold out for them.

I also think Switch will be more interesting as competition, as they most likely will opt to just upgrade hardware every 3 years, vs releasing a new platform with BC, it can create a much larger install base that could hurt a console lagging behind, as Switch would become the defacto second option, while the failing console could see itself left behind further and further.

Lastly, we will see another big company enter the market this next gen, mostly Google looks very realistic to enter the market, if they release a 8-13TFLOP box, it's going to be interesting.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Would it matter to the general public? Oh yeah, we would have something closer to ps3 vs 360 than ps4 vs XO.

However it would hurt the PS5 much less that it can hurt the Xbox Scarlet since there's huge brand loyalty to Playstation in most of the console-owning world (so, as I said, similar to 360 vs ps3).

It wouldn't matter to me personally because Playstation always gets all the cool gadgets like lightguns and VR, along with the japanese dev support to go along with them. But my heart lies with the PC as always.

Khalid030

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand Sony has more 1st party quality games so I'd easily drop more money on a console that's less powerful and 100 euro more expensive.

On the other hand most multiplat games will play and look better on the next Xbox console.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Won't matter to PS players as they seem more locked into the Sony ecosystem than ever. You'll see a few "the game still looks and plays great on ps5, why would I get an Xbox??"

Will matter to current Xbox users cause they'll feel like they have a leg up on PS people(all while being told they have no exclusives, cause that's all that matters in the gaming world!! ZING!!)

Won't matter to me cause I'm getting both.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Of course 100$ less would matter.
20% power difference, not that much. I think it'll be more powerful than the PS5, but it's not really important if that's the only difference.

I doubt they'll fuck up their launch like they did with the X1 anyway.

OP
OP
melodiousmowl

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
UMMMMMM
what?
it doesnt work like that you know. especially considering it is very likely sony is taking a loss on the PS5 looking at their huge expected profit drop.
In fact so far MS has been the one to show they are interested in higher cost manchines so far. Your questions should have been "xbox 2 is 20% more powerful and 100$ more than the ps5 does it matter?" or say ps5 is weaker but cheaper. There is absolutely zero reason for sony's machine to be so pricier and weaker than MS's.

I outlined why it's feasible (I'm not implying it would happen, just that its in the realm of farfetched probability): ms has more money, a better supply chain for computers, whole divisions that work on technology that can be adopted for the system (think like this - MS has say 30k employees doing other things that take R&D costs away from making a new system), and of again, they have giant scrooge mcduck levels of dollars.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know this is hypothetical to the nth degree - but it's not all that farfetched.
It sounds like nonsense. If they make a stronger console, the most likely outcome is that they make a more expensive console. At worst, it will be even. The only outcome would be if Sony makes VR in the PS5 which adds a ton of cost to it while losing on power, yet bumping the price up.

But in the hypothetical scenario of this nonsensical idea, of course it would matter.

Of course it would, provided there's good software for it.

I hope Microsoft will take the crown back next generation. The PS4 is kind of a poorly made system (loud fans, terrible menu, laggy menu, etc.) and even the Pro (from what I've experienced at my sibling's) is. Meanwhile, the Xbox One is much quieter and more powerful. Sony's also pretty arrogant and anti-consumer.
Yes Sony is anti-consumer, not MS with the shit they tried to pull during 2013.

Not saying it's going to win them the Gen, world wide sales matter far too much for that, but this will slow PS5 sales and increase XBnext sales... After 5 years, you will see both consoles at 55-65 Million or one will fail, and you'll see a 80 Million units for the next console, with the failure less than 50% behind it, much like this gen. Midgen refreshes are also going to be a pain, because people might hold out for them.

I also think Switch will be more interesting as competition, as they most likely will opt to just upgrade hardware every 3 years, vs releasing a new platform with BC, it can create a much larger install base that could hurt a console lagging behind, as Switch would become the defacto second option, while the failing console could see itself left behind further and further.

Lastly, we will see another big company enter the market this next gen, mostly Google looks very realistic to enter the market, if they release a 8-13TFLOP box, it's going to be interesting.
I think Google, Amazon, Apple only enter via streaming. I don't see it working too well for anyone to jump on board. Though knowing Google, they will give it a try and then kill it after 2-3 years.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Of course it would. If it really is clearly more powerful and $100 cheaper it would be an insanely good prospect.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
Absolutely, Xbox's success will still depend on the console exclusives and backcompat ofc but if they deliver on that front as well, I see no reason why they might not win some territories back.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
UMMMMMM
what?

48439.jpg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but what if Nintendo introduces a 4K-capable home console that is even $100 cheaper than Xbox?

Nov 28, 2017
I live in the EU, but according to Microsoft we are a third world/tier country, so I treat Microsoft as a third tier company and refuse to give them a single cent.
They can make whatever they want and charge as little as possible, their brand is not entering my household.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I don't see how this is even a question. My XBO has been a paper-weight almost entirely since I got it but if XB2 was cheaper, more powerful and MS made good on their recent steps forward, yes it would matter.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Wishful thinking OP. MS has a ton of $$ but these things are becoming more and more like PC. Very likely not going to be some huge power difference. This increasingly so the closer they launch to each other. Gotta stop with the fanboy way of thinking. What are you even talking about U.S? Outside of it Sony would have to blunder pretty bad to mess up their trajectory for next gen.

Both platforms should have a continuation of their current success.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
What matters most is games for me. I'm hoping the next Xbox has some solid exclusives that makes me want to buy one but until I see they have exclusives I want then it doesn't matter how powerful or cheap it is.

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
Of course it would matter... but I'd like to see some game announcement next. I have no interest to play Gears nor Halo nor Forza, so if they can come up with some nice new franchise I'd be on board, otherwise I'd still stick to Sony

Deleted member 3190

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will matter, but by how much is another question. "Winning" a console generation seems to be more a factor of how badly your competitors screw the pooch.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see that happening, more power and a cheaper price point than PS5? Seems unlikely.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Of course it would, 90%* of the games people play are multiplats.

Look at the start of this generation, most of the conversations weren't about Infamous: Second Son or Killzone Shadow Fall. No, it was about how every game performed better on PlayStation 4 versus Xbox One. This trend in conversation was one of the major factors that made the PlayStation the better pick when choosing a console or recommending a console to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.