• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
For most console gamers, it's hard to distinguish what FPS actually feels like. And thus, I never cared for the I'm passionate discussions amongst people here when it came to this.

Games looking great should always be the priority, I felt.

Enter the PS5 and Miles Morales. The ability to give gamers the option to switch between the two almost instantly made me realise the difference. I could not believe it. The speed and fluidity of just turning.

Going back to 30fps was difficult. I could not believe how sluggish and slow swinging felt. I had to even Google this to see if I had somehow sped the game up in the settings.

This is what 60fps feels like?

I'd like to apologise for all those who I ever dismissed or questioned when it comes to this.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I will admit MM is the first time I've actually "felt" the difference too, but while nice, I can't say it will change anything for me. I played like that for 30 mins then switched to RT mode and beat the rest of the game that way.

ravnelis

Prophet of Regret
Jan 1, 2018
After playing Valhalla for a while I tried to test Auto HDR and I booted up Arkham Knight. Damn, it was rough to go back to 30fps.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
The current surge of higher framerate console games will bring about a great renaissance in the public—this is FPS sea change we've been waiting for

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played odyssey for a bit after playing a lot of valhalla on series x, i love odyssey, but going back to 30 fps felt awful

OP
OP
Meus Renaissance
Oct 28, 2017
It isn't. 60fps has never been an alien concept to console gamers as a whole.

Apparently COD games are 60fps. I just thought it was a fast paced game. If there was a 30fps mode in the menus, people would have a better grasp of the difference; you need to see it within the same game to really understand .

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
60 FPS is nice. I can certainly feel the difference, and for certain genres it's absolutely paramount. But by-and-large, and maybe this is because I work as a video editor, I'm a bigger image quality nerd than a framerate nerd. I'll usually choose quality over performance settings in console games that offer both.

Ginusagi

Nov 14, 2020
Portugal
One of the reasons why I'm switching from PC gaming to consoles, I'm used to play games at 60-144fps, and watching ps4 pro gameplay at 35-55fps felt really bad, but the exclusives were always on the back of my mind (I've been waiting years to play Persona 5...)
Now Ps5 is able to play games at 60fps or even more, so yeah I'm sold, can't wait to play Ghost of Tsushima, Persona 5 Royal, FFVIIR(hopefully there will be a 60fps patch for this one), KH3, and the list goes on

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
One of us. One of us.

It's a harsh change when you can readily compare by switching back and forth. The responsiveness is a huge upgrade, and I'll take it any time over 30 FPS + more bells and whistles, even in games where people would argue it doesn't matter.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta admit that seeing those Digital Foundry comparisons of games running at 30 and 60 fps side-by-side is pretty jarring. It's hard to go to back to 30.

However, I wouldn't be bummed with games running at 30 FPS and looking amazing, which probably be the cause with new, next-gen only titles. I never had a problem before, and I own a gaming PC. You get used to 30 FPS, the big problem is when you get the option to go 60 without much graphical loss.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
If there was a 30fps mode in the menus, people would have a better grasp of the difference; you need to see it within the same game to really understand .

giphy.gif

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
It isn't. 60fps has never been an alien concept to console gamers as a whole.

It's never been an alien concept, though when I was younger I had no idea what FPS was and didn't really understand enough to be able to articulate why certain games seemed to look more sluggish than others. It was only when I played Dark Souls 3 on PC that I finally "got it".

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
30fps gives me headaches.

I hope the industry pushes towards making 60fps the norm.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
I'm afraid when this cross gen period is over, games will just go back to 30fps without a performance mode for 60

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
It's something I appreciate in fast paced games: shooters, fighting, racing, sports. But in single player adventure game I don't mind a stable 30 FPS. I do play Demon's Souls on PS5 on Performance Mode, but for Miles Morales I'm perfectly fine with the RT reflections and 30 FPS.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
It's never been an alien concept, though when I was younger I had no idea what FPS was and didn't really understand enough to be able to articulate why certain games seemed to look more sluggish than others. It was only when I played Dark Souls 3 on PC that I finally "got it".
Yeah, it was the same for me, but I take it as me being young and not properly understanding the concept of framerate rather than a console thing. Although of course I guess that if you tend to game on PC you are more likely to learn about framerate sooner than later. Ironically, I was more of a PC gamer as kid and never bothered with it.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had that experience for most genres. Metal Gear Solid V -> Death Stranding didn't feel like a step back, and TLOU2 wasn't painful to play.

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
Yeah, it was the same for me, but I take it as me being young and not properly understanding the concept of framerate rather than a console thing. Although of course I guess that if you tend to game on PC you are more likely to learn about framerate sooner than later. Ironically, I was more of a PC gamer as kid and never bothered with it.

One thing I remember is thinking "Why does Banjo Kazooie run ok, but Banjo Tooie is in slow motion?" 😂

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Yep. I am never going to play in Fidelity Model if it's 30fps. Resolution and ray-tracing are all great but I literally couldn't stomach Miles in 30fps after playing my run in Performance Mode.

Honestly, this shift has made me consider getting into PC gaming.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
For most console gamers, it's hard to distinguish what FPS actually feels like. And thus, I never cared for the I'm passionate discussions amongst people here when it came to this.

Games looking great should always be the priority, I felt.

Enter the PS5 and Miles Morales. The ability to give gamers the option to switch between the two almost instantly made me realise the difference. I could not believe it. The speed and fluidity of just turning.

Going back to 30fps was difficult. I could not believe how sluggish and slow swinging felt. I had to even Google this to see if I had somehow sped the game up in the settings.

This is what 60fps feels like?

I'd like to apologise for all those who I ever dismissed or questioned when it comes to this.

Welcome op :)

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Switching from one to another at the press of a button will be jarring for sure. But after playing in 30 fps for a while you will get used to it and you won't miss 60 fps.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy that first wave of 1st gen games at 60 fps on consoles... I have a feeling it will drop down to 30 fps soon enough for the big ones..

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
There really is no going back. I hope we at least get performance options throughout the gen. Some games are ok at 30fps, but overall the experience is so much better at 60 it's worth sacrificing some fidelity.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
i remember my first time being aware with framerate and that was Perfect Dark for N64

That game was single digits in multiplayer and felt wrong

Thank god for PS2 era. Shame that ended there as well

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
The first sentence of your post is probably true for the masses, but I've always recognized the difference between 30 and 60 FPS.

A stable 30 FPS is fine for many games, and the loss of visual fidelity at 60 FPS may not be worth the increased frame rate. I do think that 60 FPS is essential for competitive gaming.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Maybe I'm just super sensitive, but the idea that some people couldn't see the difference always seemed crazy to me. I can adjust to 30 fps fine, but even as a kid I was giddy to play games like Metroid Prime and arcade racers because of the super fluid feeling it gives you while playing. I'll always prefer 60 fps, given the choice. I just hope we'll continue to get the option this gen.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
One of the reasons why I'm switching from PC gaming to consoles, I'm used to play games at 60-144fps, and watching ps4 pro gameplay at 35-55fps felt really bad, but the exclusives were always on the back of my mind (I've been waiting years to play Persona 5...)
Now Ps5 is able to play games at 60fps or even more, so yeah I'm sold, can't wait to play Ghost of Tsushima, Persona 5 Royal, FFVIIR(hopefully there will be a 60fps patch for this one), KH3, and the list goes on

I mean, you do you, but future PS5 games could lock FPS to 30 for higher visual fidelity (this is common late in the generation), while on PC you will always have the option to reduce visual fidelity (or upgrade your rig) to get to 60 FPS. If high framerates are important to you, it seems wise to keep gaming mostly on PC and get only exclusives on consoles.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Depends on the game for me. 60fps on a third-party shooter, allows me to turn off all aim assist and just have free control. I cant do that with 30fps titles.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
60 to 120 fps is good, but it's not as a big jump like 30 to 60. From 120 to 144 i can't tell the difference

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
For most console gamers, it's hard to distinguish what FPS actually feels like.

Where on earth did you get this idea? A lot of console games are fine with 30fps, but doesn't mean they don't know the difference between 30 and 60 lol

There are a lot of 60fps console games too, especially in multiplayer games, fighting games, and shooters over the past decade. Even all of Capcom's recent console games in RE engine have shot for 60fps.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
60fps feels better than 30, but its extra pronounced when you play one game and toggle between them

30fps is fine when it's stable, but it's just not as good as 60fps

If you played the whole game in 30fps I doubt you'd have felt like the game was slow

Either way I think we'll soon be back to 30fps games on the new systems once someone starts pushing insane graphics