• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
What kind of contract did they get him on? He's gotta be the most expensive VA in the whole series. They couldn't afford to keep cool dude Billy Zane, but Woods even pops up in that cell phone game.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
From what I understand, he really likes doing that character.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like James Woods is doing much else right now.

Other than harassing people on Twitter I guess.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Too bad, he's a massive piece of shit in real life. ....I really wish KHIII didn't have Olympus Colosseum so that way, he wouldn't have gotten a paycheck.

OP
OP
NewDonkStrong

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm playing through 1.5/2.5 right now. I hope I get to hear Woods say one of these absurd Organization XIII names.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Billy Zane was apparently dropped because he was blacklisted for doing some anti-American film or something like that?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
IIRC Disney must always offer the role to the original VA first, regardless of if anyone working thinks they should be replaced.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Then how come Billy Zane stopped doing Ansem after the first game? I thought he did alright for the role.

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling, celebrating bigotry.
James Woods is the man. Love that guy. Enjoy his Twitter account as well. I hope he continues to be in KH as well as many other games. It seems like the acting days(the best ones anyway)are well behind him.

*acting in film

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
All the Disney voice actors have the right of first refusal for all the characters they voice. So, they have to offer it to him before anyone else. Same goes for all the Disney characters in Kingdom Hearts.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
All the Disney voice actors have the right of first refusal for all the characters they voice. So, they have to offer it to him before anyone else. Same goes for all the Disney characters in Kingdom Hearts.

This is the answer. They don't have a choice other than not using the character. If James wants to do it, then he gets it.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of times when the original actors don't return, it's not because of money, it's availability. James Woods just makes time to voice Hades whenever he can.

Incidentally, he's not in Days, DDD, or X.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
His Twitter account is entertaining in a "crazy can't believe this dude thinks like this" kinda way. I never knew about it recently and then read and said, "Man, this guy goes hard for Trump". He's definitively a true believer.

I was shocked. I thought he was liberal for ages.

OP
OP
NewDonkStrong

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
His Twitter account is entertaining in a "crazy can't believe this dude thinks like this" kinda way. I never knew about it recently and then read and said, "Man, this guy goes hard for Trump". He's definitively a true believer.

I was shocked. I thought he was liberal for ages.

I think he's like Dennis Miller where they became ultra conservatives after 9/11.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
didn't his agent or agency dump him recently? not particularly D-list but doesn't surprise me he'll take up any VA gig

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
He has a good agent....oh, wait..
hyuk

DhUM5yxUcAA-TmF

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The mobile game doesn't have voice acting, last I checked. He's also not in 358/2 Days or Dream Drop Distance

But he does love the character so much that he does the voice at every opportunity.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The mobile game doesn't have voice acting, last I checked. He's also not in 358/2 Days or Dream Drop Distance

But he does love the character so much that he does the voice at every opportunity.

The HD Re:coded cutscenes in the 2.5 collection definitely have him doing the voice acting, but yeah, he's not in ALL of them.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What kind of contract did they get him on? He's gotta be the most expensive VA in the whole series. They couldn't afford to keep cool dude Billy Zane, but Woods even pops up in that cell phone game.
Pretty sure this isn't all accurate. I'm not fully caught up but I definitely haven't heard voice acting in X...

A lot of times when the original actors don't return, it's not because of money, it's availability. James Woods just makes time to voice Hades whenever he can.

Incidentally, he's not in Days, DDD, or X.
Yeah I was pretty sure OP was wrong there. Especially since there are a few games with barely any voice acting or Olympus is completely absent.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The HD Re:coded cutscenes in the 2.5 collection have him doing the voice acting, but yeah, he's not in ALL of them.

Ah, when people mention the cellphone game I usually think they're talking about Unchained X/Chi since Re: Coded is a DS game now. Those ones don't have voice acting and he doesn't show up in Back Cover.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Man, they've got a lot of opportunities to go meta having an actual heartless person in the cast.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Billy Zane was apparently dropped because he was blacklisted for doing some anti-American film or something like that?
He starred in a film with Anti-American sentiment in the early 00s.
Really blacklisted for that? Pathetic, I need to look up more on this though. I'd understand blacklisting for Phantom, but this is a step too far.

Edit: Is it Valley of the Wolves: Iraq?

The film upset some viewers for its heavy and incriminating subject matter. Some have criticized it for alleged stereotyping and "black and white" portrayal of the opposing forces.[12] The controversy arrives mainly from the following scenes:
  • In one sequence, American soldiers raid an Iraqi wedding and massacre a number of civilians, which might be an allusion to a wedding party massacre perpetrated by US forces caught on tape in Mukaradeeb on May 19, 2004.
  • U.S. soldiers torture detainees in Abu Ghraib prison, which includes a female soldier making a human pyramid, referring to the Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse by US soldiers. It is the first depiction of actions by American soldiers at the Abu Ghraib prison ever to appear on film.
  • While captives are transported on a long journey in a container on a truck, one guard says to the other: "They might suffocate in the container because there is no fresh air supply". The truck stops, the American guard gets off the truck and fires hundreds of bullet-holes into the container with an automatic weapon "in order to make holes for the air to get in", and as a result many detainees are injured or get killed. A similar event is reported to have occurred in Afghanistan after the battle for Mazar-i-Sharif on November 9, 2001, with Taliban soldiers in the container and soldiers of the Afghan Northern Alliance as their guardians, as described in the documentary film Afghan Massacre: The Convoy of Death by Irish filmmaker Jamie Doran. This event is also reenacted in the film The Road to Guantanamo.
  • The film features a Jewish American U.S. Army doctor (Gary Busey) who, as an inhuman figure common in urban legends and anti-Semitic propaganda, removes organs from injured civilian prisoners to sell to rich people in New York, London and Tel-Aviv for transplantation.