• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I remember watching that Re:Coded movie they did for the compilation and the Olympus portion was the most awkward bit, voice acting wise. Hercules, Cloud, and Hades all sound absolutely terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
Not defending him, but it is possible to separate the man from the character people. I don't think of James Woods every time I play Kingdom Hearts.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get paid to go read lines in a sound booth for a couple of days? Who wouldn't do that, especially if you love the character as much as he says he did.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
James Woods did the voice in the Hercules cartoon, like him or not, he found a role that was impov heavy, and enjoyable, so he's gonna hold onto it as tight as he can even if he is sinking.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
He's an actual piece of shit, but he is amazing as Hades.

Though, shout out to Japanese Hades for being Japanese James Woods though (hopefully) without the scummy human being part.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Far from me to recommend anybody buying KH, it's a terrible series, but to the few people making JW a boycot issue here I recommend some perspective. It's clear why he specifically is cast to the role and it's such a minor part at the grand scheme of things. He is one voice role in a game that probably has around a hundred voiced characters in it. Basically any type of financial boon Woods is getting from this is such a small drop in the bucket compared to the other 400 supposedly decent people working on the game.

Of course if you feel like you still want to protest with your money, I get it. But nowdays with insane amount of people working on these high profile games the chances are you will get more than a few assholes working on any given project.

There are those situations where some of the main driving forces of the development are major cunts (not to name anyone but ya know) where this type of stuff might be more called for.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I know hes a wasteman but I'm glad hes still voicing Hades. It's not like hes making much money off of it tbh, and he has such a good voice for the part

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not defending him, but it is possible to separate the man from the character people. I don't think of James Woods every time I play Kingdom Hearts.
Hey. Whatever makes you sleep better at night.

If you are entertained by a piece of shit and laugh along with them all while they're trampling on the rights of others then you're part of the problem.

But hey, he makes you happy.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Great reason to avoid the whole series.

It's probably the only consistent work he can get nowadays because he's such a piece of shit.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I'm no expert on this or anything, but I don't think VAs get residuals on video games do they? So it doesn't really make much sense to not buy the game because of him being in them, because regardless, he already got his check.

Zomba13

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no expert on this or anything, but I don't think VAs get residuals on video games do they? So it doesn't really make much sense to not buy the game because of him being in them, because regardless, he already got his check.
Basically. I remember the VA strike wanted residuals but I'm unsure if they got them in the end or not. Either way, Hades (and woods) is a small part of the game that hundreds of people work on with a very large voice cast so boycotting the game/series because of a single twat with a minor role seems a bit pointless. Why punish the other hard working people who have a much greater role in the game (both on the development side and the acting side).

Now, if this was a Hercules game and Woods was a major part, promoting it, doing press, being used to sell the game, then sure, boycott it. In that case a scummy man is actually profiting from the thing and people are using the scummy man to promote the thing. But he's a minor roll.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Would you recommend avoiding DQ due to Sugiyama? ;)

Seriously tho, fuck that hack of an ''artist'' for shitting on XI soundtrack and other peoples hard work.
I wasn't being totally serious. ;) But yeah, fuck James Woods AND Sugiyama. Most of Sugiyama's shit is recycled at this point- let someone else be the main composer for the series.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck James Woods but don't boycott KH3. Woods will probably only appear sometime during the first 2-3 hours of the game since Olympus is the opening level. After that you will be hearing the voices of hundreds of other people, and seeing the love that the developers have put into the game.

He's also probably already got his check so boycotting the game will only harm everyone else but him.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am one of those people who can separate an actor from the work they do. I know IRL he is not a great human being but he does play Hades very well.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to mention how he's fluent in Japanese and Hades still sounds amazing across all versions of the game.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Fuck James Woods but don't boycott KH3. Woods will probably only appear sometime during the first 2-3 hours of the game since Olympus is the opening level. After that you will be hearing the voices of hundreds of other people, and seeing the love that the developers have put into the game.

He's also probably already got his check so boycotting the game will only harm everyone else but him.
The real reason to boycott KH3 is Nomura, anyway.

Zomba13

Oct 25, 2017
? Nomura's done nothing but make amazing games.
He also put Huey, Dewy and Louie in Birth By Sleep even though they appear in games set 10 years later and he didn't de-age them or have them be at their Quack Pack ages in KH1 and 2. So really, we know who the real monster is.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Iirc Woods has it in writing that he gets to play Hades in everything. Guessing there's not a "we get to fire you if you're a crazy piece of shit" clause in there.

This is the first time I heard of Billy Zane being blacklisted. I always assumed he was recast for the same reason all the FF characters (Aerith, Yuffie, Sephiroth, Squall) were, $$$. Seems like KH1 had a bigger voice acting budget than the other games.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I know he has his issues, but what exactly went down here?
First of all, he is not a very pleasant man when it comes to some of his views on WW2 era japanese war crimes.

Secondly, he is deliberately using bad quality music in DQXI (and other games in the series as well) in hopes of selling tickets to his concerts. Not only is that just being out of touch why people attend concerts in the first place but it's arguably undermining the product other people have given their all to deliver the best game possible. This dude can't retire soon enough.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I had to literally google who this was since I played almost every single game and the name didnt ring a bell.

I honestly dont even know most of the VAs in the series lol.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Hmm, Valley of the Wolves: Iraq was 2006 could it be that? It's not early 2000s though. Or did he do several "anti-american" movies?

Him being blacklisted is one of the many possible explanations.

I personally believe he simply wasn't interested in doing anymore work. Zane's filmography doesn't have a lot of sequels and the first KH game had a lot of celebrity voice actors that didn't return.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Yikes. I haven't played a Kingdom Hearts game in ages and I was thinking of picking up that all in one KH package on the PS store. I completely forgot he played Hades, though. :/
Gonna be really difficult to enjoy the game every time his character pops up.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
First of all, he is not a very pleasant man when it comes to some of his views on WW2 era japanese war crimes.

Secondly, he is deliberately using bad quality music in DQXI (and other games in the series as well) in hopes of selling tickets to his concerts. Not only is that just being out of touch why people attend concerts in the first place but it's arguably undermining the product other people have given their all to deliver the best game possible. This dude can't retire soon enough.

I knew about the war crime thing but not the music quality thing (that's why the music sounded so bad when I played it at E3!) Anywhere I can read about this?