• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Apparently he respects his wife so much that he ignores her own opinion about this~

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja rolling and haters hating,ninja raising Money haters spending time being outraged at his hair and jacket, people Here should look on the mirror more and stop spending time raging at guys like ninja , they Will not go away just cause you pretend he his a Monster. I AM surprise people speaking out against the Toxic behaviour of era, i knew There was a lots of people who think how fucking bananas people are in his threads. I know because i was banned and labeled anti woman just 2 weeks ago
If your defending ninja than you deserve it. Ninja not streaming with woman is indefensible.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
Ninja rolling and haters hating,ninja raising Money haters spending time being outraged at his hair and jacket, people Here should look on the mirror more and stop spending time raging at guys like ninja , they Will not go away just cause you pretend he his a Monster. I AM surprise people speaking out against the Toxic behaviour of era, i knew There was a lots of people who think how fucking bananas people are in his threads. I know because i was banned and labeled anti woman just 2 weeks ago
He's certainly not going to go away as long as people have the idiotic idea that you have to be some "monster" that hates women to ever do anything sexist.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wow, the creator of video games himself took time out of his schedule to visit a lowly late night television show? I hope that kind of charity is tax deductible.

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017
I think his position on streaming with women is less about him being sexist and more about the platform he is streaming on. I think his take is similar to the want for privacy amongst celebrities with regards to paparazzi. The thing about streaming though is that the low barrier of access to a personality lets a lot stalker fans get a lot of material and run wild.

I mean you can make an argument about him and his position being representative of thin skin.

Let's say his audience was instead mainly politically left leaning and he associated with someone with strong conservative positions but by no means so far gone as to be a Nazi or white surpremacist. The most sensationalist of his audience would probably be accusing him of being a Nazi sympathizer. Obviously he's not but then there's this rumor out there he doesn't want to deal with.

I think his decision stemed more from the platform he's on and the audience he has (not necessarily the audience he caters to) than from a personal belief that women can't be streamed with.

In a perfect world where the people who watch him won't potentially accuse him of cheating on his wife if a woman shows up on stream, I'm sure he would have had no problem streaming work women.

I mean just look at Pokimane. I feel like she explicitly doesn't make any facets of her personal romantic relationships known so that her audience doesn't run wild with accusations every time she duos with someone.

And even then she still gets the short end of the stick for being a female steamer a lot of the time

It's an issue with the demographic of gaming as a whole than it is with the individual imo.

I think he made a sexist decision, but I don't think that and being a sexist is mutually inclusive. A string of those sort of decisions, yes, but a single one that was likely influenced by taking the consideration and opinions of his loved ones is not.

LiquidSword

Oct 25, 2017
With him having the same views as Mike Pence on working with women, you guys are right , he is the perfect representative for gamers.

OP
OP
Parenegade

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stop peddling this false narrative. His wife had nothing to do with him BY HIS OWN WORDS:
https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/11/17675738/ninja-twitch-female-gamers

I have to say, it's infuriating how often I've had to correct people about this.

I guess people really are that damn quick to blame women, even for the sexism aimed at them. Absolutely breath-taking.

He did? Source?

I mean just look at Pokimane. I feel like she explicitly doesn't make any facets of her personal romantic relationships known so that her audience doesn't run wild with accusations every time she duos with someone.

Were you kidding? Pokimane's audience literally does exactly that. All the time. Have you read her chat before lol? Or Myth's? Or Cizzorz? Shit is ridiculous.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Honestly I think it's a good thing that he's taking games to the mainstream. Gamers nowadays are more than ever linked to alt-right shitbaggery, Gamergate, misogyny, etc. Even in this place there's been a lot of "fucking gamers" attitude lately. I'd rather have a guy like Ninja giving gaming a good name in people's eyes than to have our hobby dragged down by assholes. But that's just me.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't watch the full 11 minute video right now but, is this an individual exception (I believe he's had a few exceptions before) or an actual change to his policy going forward?

Well if his policy was "I don't stream with women" and then he streams with a woman, he's went back on his policy either way. How many times would he need to stream with a woman for it to count and to not be an "exception"?

Oct 31, 2017
Are you really saying that he doesn't win almost 2 out of 4 solo squads? And, who said he was the best Fortnite player or the best Fortnite competitive player? He is still far far better than the average person watching his streams. That's the whole point. The players who are better than him don't stream, don't do it regularly, aren't as entertaining...or...they are also popular (Tfue, etc.)

LOL this thread...literally no one is saying Ninja is the only popular streamer, the only good streamer, or the best of all the Fortnite streamers.

Not at the rate he used to, no. The sour grapes from that community comes from the fact that he is just a pubstomber, not a comp player. He uses the sports analogy but the face of the game is someone that isn't even ranked. There's no point arguing entertainment value as that is subjective. Again right place, right time.

And that last line, you're right nobody is saying that.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Wow, the creator of video games himself took time out of his schedule to visit a lowly late night television show? I hope that kind of charity is tax deductible.
giphy.webp

JinnAxel

Oct 30, 2017

Were you kidding? Pokimane's audience literally does exactly that. All the time. Have you read her chat before lol? Or Myth's? Or Cizzorz? Shit is ridiculous.

That's my point, she doesn't make her actual relationship status known though, because she knows what her audience will think regardless of what the truth is. If she were dating someone the rumour milling goes from "Are they seeing eachother?" to "Is she cheating on him?".

Ninja is married, he doesn't get the opportunity to dodge the issue all together.

OP
OP
Parenegade

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
can't wait right now

were there any ~*~*women*~*~ on the stage with him?

That's my point, she doesn't make her actual relationship status known though, because she knows what her audience will think regardless of what the truth is. If she were dating someone the rumour milling goes from "Are they seeing eachother?" to "Is she cheating on him?".

Ninja is married, he doesn't get the opportunity to dodge the issue all together.

Oh I see what you're saying. Yeah I guess that's worse but no one should have to deal with that garbage in the first place.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I don't keep up with Youtube shills, I mean influencers. Where does this guy rank on the Pewdiepie shithead scale?

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Ninja has been a part of a ton of charity events and streams and that it never ever gets mentioned in here is really something. People would much rather jump on a guy and pile on someone who isn't here to say their part than to to any sort of work figuring out who someone really is.

Full disclosure: I follow Ninja on twitch and did so after watching him close out the GuardianCon stream this year. You know, the one that raised like 2 million dollars for St. Jude this past summer. Where he offered to die his hair a different color or get a fucking tattoo for donations to charity.

And now that it seems like he's backtracked on his stance about streaming with women, what is the big deal? Dude loves video games and uses his platform for good all the time. The amount of hate he gets here is baffling to me because I can think of very few individuals on gaming side that get the amount of hatred and vitriol thrown their way as Ninja. If we aren't allowed to grow and change and we are constantly held to some impossible standard no matter what we do, what is the point?

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Props for the guy to keep it so cool on television, specially on the topic and with that cringy dance!

Deleted member 5545

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Ninja has been a part of a ton of charity events and streams and that it never ever gets mentioned in here is really something. People would much rather jump on a guy and pile on someone who isn't here to say their part than to to any sort of work figuring out who someone really is.

Full disclosure: I follow Ninja on twitch and did so after watching him close out the GuardianCon stream this year. You know, the one that raised like 2 million dollars for St. Jude this past summer. Where he offered to die his hair a different color or get a fucking tattoo for donations to charity.

And now that it seems like he's backtracked on his stance about streaming with women, what is the big deal? Dude loves video games and uses his platform for good all the time. The amount of hate he gets here is baffling to me because I can think of very few individuals on gaming side that get the amount of hatred and vitriol thrown their way as Ninja. If we aren't allowed to grow and change and we are constantly held to some impossible standard no matter what we do, what is the point?
i really wonder how much of it is pent-up hate for fortnite/GaaS, tbh

OP
OP
Parenegade

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For a lot of people on the internet anything you positive you do means nothing. They only look at the negative. People like:

I don't keep up with Youtube shills, I mean influencers. Where does this guy rank on the Pewdiepie shithead scale?

Basically these people see anyone who creates gaming content on the internet as the enemy.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
User banned:(3 Days) Inflammatory Generalizations

This forum is filled with cowardly, vitriolic people. They consistently call out people and other forums without realizing that this site perpetuates more hate than most other forums. Not that hard to accept though when you realize a lot of people are only here because they have been ostracized from the regular, functioning parts of the internet.

OP
OP
Parenegade

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This forum is filled with cowardly, vitriolic people. They consistently call out people and other forums without realizing that this site perpetuates more hate than most other forums. Not that hard to accept though when you realize a lot of people are only here because they have been ostracized from the regular, functioning parts of the internet.

I think that's a bit much. There are definitely people on Era who continue a cycle of toxicity that gaming is all to familiar with but you shouldn't paint the entire forum with such a broad brush.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The hate for this guy is weird. He seems like a nice guy that is very passionate about games.
He's pretty full of himself and cries any time he loses and claims people "stream sniped" him. Makes him hard to like IMO. Before the one of the recent award shows he started bashing the other people up for awards against him and how they don't stand a chance against him for the award, then halfway through stopped and tried to backtrack as if he had a PR guy giving him a look. He just seems like a smug prick to me and for the life of me I can not figure out why people enjoy watching him. It's cool he's passionate about games and does charity and stuff but if you act like a whiny asshole, people are going to see you as a whiny asshole.

Also, I disagree with his comparison to sports. Playing video games isn't something you need to be at a super professional competitive level to enjoy or to be successful as a streamer/content creator. I also think it's a pretty bigheaded statement to compare the spectacle of professional sports to professional gaming. One takes considerably more work, time, effort, and skill than the other because one is limited by the scope of programming and a controller. I'm not saying you can become a professional level gamer overnight or anything like that, I'm fully aware of how much work these people put in.

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I asked earlier about some of the things people dislike about him in this thread, honestly don't know much about Ninja but didn't the dude also use the N word on a stream? From the interview he seems like he's a pretty nice dude but using racial slurs is a big nope.

Palookah

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's pretty full of himself and cries any time he loses and claims people "stream sniped" him. Makes him hard to like IMO. Before the one of the recent award shows he started bashing the other people up for awards against him and how they don't stand a chance against him for the award, then halfway through stopped and tried to backtrack as if he had a PR guy giving him a look. He just seems like a smug prick to me and for the life of me I can not figure out why people enjoy watching him. It's cool he's passionate about games and does charity and stuff but if you act like a whiny asshole, people are going to see you as a whiny asshole. Also, I disagree with his comparison to sports. Playing video games isn't something you need to be at a super professional competitive level to enjoy or to be successful as a streamer/content creator. I also think it's a pretty bigheaded statement to compare the spectacle of professional sports to professional gaming. One takes considerably more work, time, effort, and skill than the other because one is limited by the scope of programming and a controller. I'm not saying you can become a professional level gamer overnight or anything like that, I'm fully aware of how much work these people put in.

FFS man. Paragraphs, spilt your salt into manageable Chunks.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I think that's a bit much. There are definitely people on Era who continue a cycle of toxicity that gaming is all to familiar with but you shouldn't paint the entire forum with such a broad brush.
Ah yeah, came out a bit more broad than I was intending. I wouldn't be here If the entire community was like that. But I can't help seeing this pretty much every day here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
H Before the one of the recent award shows he started bashing the other people up for awards against him and how they don't stand a chance against him for the award, then halfway through stopped and tried to backtrack as if he had a PR guy giving him a look.

You do realize the people he was up against in all of those awards were his friends that he streams with regularly, right? They all do that to each other.

Also, I disagree with his comparison to sports. Playing video games isn't something you need to be at a super professional competitive level to enjoy or to be successful as a streamer/content creator. I also think it's a pretty bigheaded statement to compare the spectacle of professional sports to professional gaming. One takes considerably more work, time, effort, and skill than the other because one is limited by the scope of programming and a controller. I'm not saying you can become a professional level gamer overnight or anything like that, I'm fully aware of how much work these people put in.

Sure, the effort is different, but that's not what he's talking about and the amount of time professional gamers in esports put in rivals athletes of the NFL and NBA. Plus, you can definitely compare the spectacle:

esport.jpg

That isn't a UFC match. That's League of Legends.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
I don't agree with that sorry. As I never watch someone play video games and play them myself. In sports it's different, i play basketball and football + watch my favorite teams. Two days a week we play basketball or football that doesn't mean "I can't do it" .. People enjoy watching other people play video games that's fine but saying you can't do it yourself is absurd. And what high level of competition you're talking about Ninja? IIRC you got eliminated very early in the last Fortnite championship..
At that level is a pretty key difference, you can play basketball all you want, you are not doing what Lebron is doing is his point. People watch high level stuff because it's the best of the best doing it. Albeit sure it makes less sense for Ninja and is more representative of people who watch esports.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Are the YouTube commenters making up rumors about Ninja and Jimmy Fallon dating now?

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A large part of why people watch Ninja, in addition to him being entertaining, is because he's God tier at the game. Every now and then I'll tune in if I'm not watching Dan or NorthernLion and it's impressive how skilled he is at the game.

Agreed. I don't enjoy Fortnite and IMO I don't find him entertaining, but I tune in to watch sometimes because of how good he is at the game. Some of the shit he pulls is unbelievable. Same thing when he played Halo.

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017

No amount of good is good enough once era finds a thing they don't like a about you.
Easy when you don't have to show anything for yourself.