• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well she clearly needs whatever donations she can get with such a faulty green screen

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i ate a meat mountain on stream once i had like 10 people watchedf then we all collabed on a ms paint painting it was fucking sick you should have been there

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of twitch is effectively paid voyeurism. So yea. I don't necessarily mean in a sexual way. I mean like a faux connection with a person etc. I'm not sure what the term would be.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
these people are entertainers

so yes

you try streaming for 8 hours a day and garnering an audience that wants to interact with you

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious some people are very lonely, twitch fills the gap. It's a shame these get-togethers are mediated through a screen instead of face-to-face.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Just Chatting (IRL) is a wild, wild section of Twitch. Nothing makes sense and drama happens. Stay out of it or get lost in the madness.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
People are lonely, and these kind of streams gives them a fake a sense of friendship/relationship. While I don't think it's really healthy, if it makes them happy, good for them. Even on gaming streams you see a lot of donations in the vein of "I've been feeling really depressed lately, your streams are the only things that give me joy." and "I think of you as a friend."

Deleted member 59

Can someone explain to me what is going on in that video? Like what's she doing and (i assume failing at, hence her reaction 3 times)

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would put spending money on twitch about the same level of half's of people hobbies here.

Fina1e

Oct 27, 2017
cc3.png

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
My retired father in law watches NCIS all day and I don't give him shit about it. Let people do their thing when it comes to entertainment

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
People are lonely, and these kind of streams gives them a fake a sense of friendship/relationship. While I don't think it's really healthy, if it makes them happy, good for them. Even on gaming streams you see a lot of donations in the vein of "I've been feeling really depressed lately, your streams are the only things that give me joy." and "I think of you as a friend."
Like you said, this type of belief and dependency isn't healthy. Rather than dealing with their issues, they are ignoring and making things worse. This isn't just a Twitch thing though. Despite our interconnected world, certain people are becoming more isolated and loneliness is rising among certain people. Just saying "if it makes them happy" isn't really the best course of action because the root cause isn't ever going to be dealt with and instead makes the dependency that they are getting from streamers noticing them and what they'll do for that notice can get worse, and could lead to bigger issues if they don't get it (say a streamer go on vacation or just outright quits)

The world needs to do more for mental health and helping people like this out

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
People should be allowed to enterprise whatever they want I'm tempted to livestream my feet and see if I get a fan following 😆

I see nothing wrong with it. Just allow people to spend their money however they want.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looool. Exactly.

A "buddy" of mine. Relation of a friend I play with sometimes. Gave an entire paycheck to a girl that was streaming like a creepy little moron. It was like $730 or something. He was a long time viewer and he thought they were "friends".

I say this... But oddly I met two actual friends I still play with when I streamed on twitch who were viewers. So... I'm being a hypocrite. I just know that that donation was an entirely different matter.

Magni

Streaming's not for me, so I have no idea who any of these people are or what people watch them*, but I just Googled her and saw random people sending her $1600.

I don't get it, but it's not my money. The whole thing feels sad though.

*in this particular case, I would guess it has to do with her being an Asian girl talking to a Western audience... My wife went to high school in Tokyo with this girl who can kinda speak French. She's since become a YouTuber, and this random girl who was nothing special in Japan is now this super popular girl in certain corners of the French internet 🤷‍♂️ my wife has joked about it, saying if/when we move away from Japan, if she can't find any local work she can just do a phony kawaii accent online and get $ from desperate men 🤦‍♂️

Deleted member 57020

User requested account closure
Banned
May 25, 2019
Only thing that disturbs me is when there's that single donator constantly giving hundreds just to get their message heard.