• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via Full Frontal:

Democrats are quick to pose with Ilhan Omar when it looks good on a magazine cover, but when it comes to standing with her on tough issues, they vamoosed.
Good on her. Plus she didn't brush aside the people who do have legit grievances with Rep Omar's words like Meghan McCain
/s

Also her segment on Tucker Carlson was great too:

A number of deeply upsetting comments from Tucker Carlson were recently unearthed, but he's different now: before he was saying them on the radio and now he's saying them on TV!

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with her, but she always comes off mean-spirited. I mean, I get why but it's just not something I want to watch when trying to relax.

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Whilst I agree with what she's saying a vast majority of the time her humour has never really stuck with me, but that Tucker Carlson video was great.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I was baffled that it wasnt mentioned in any of Colbert and Meyers' youtube videos, at least based off the video titles

Oct 27, 2017
Good on her and her crew. Could never get into Full Frontal, though. I still say she should have taken over the Daily Show. Was she the longest serving correspondant there?

She's not the only one to talk about it. Bill Maher and his panel did as well.
This may be the case, but Samantha Bee is less likely to make an ironically anti-semitic joke and make all the Jewish guests uncomfortable. :p

Edit: Turns out Maher is kinda Jewish, so I don't know how that hypothetical would actually play out.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Even Bee's segment conceded a little too much to the crocodile tears about Omar's comments, IMO.

As for Samantha's show, it's no meaner than Stewart's Daily Show or Last Week Tonight

julian

Oct 27, 2017
How can you possibly claim that Meghan McCain had a "legit grievance"?

Can't watch clip now but I do wish there was a good way to watch her show on my TV without cable. The YouTube links get annoying. I always enjoy what I see.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I don't disagree with her, but she always comes off mean-spirited. I mean, I get why but it's just not something I want to watch when trying to relax.

People came at your neck, but good on you. More people should meter their intake of 24/7 politics. That stuff can turn you into a permanently angry curmudgeon.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Her show covers longer segments of a single topic. The other late night shows breeze over multiple topics.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sam is really one of the best out there right now. Possibly the best. She covers a lot of shit most others don't and rarely pulls any punches and outside of Last Week Tonight dedicates way more time to a given subject.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
That Tucker Carlson roast was great. I appreciate that, unlike some hosts like Steven Colbert, her jokes aren't always followed up by a minute of the audience laughing and the host making "I know, I'm so funny" faces.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember all those "free speech advocates" getting free gigs at colleges and TV shows? Where are they now to defend our free speech? Oh, looks like it's only Ilhan Omar speaking out.

When a Muslim rises to defend our rights, everybody goes fucking insane. There shouldn't be any punishment for people who refuse to support the murder of Palestinians. Everybody should have a right to economically disengage with countries that do not align with their Christian (or otherwise) values. All people are God's creation, including Palestinians, and must be treated as such.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
A work colleague of mine went on a rant about how racist Omar was. They were a subordinate and I didn't want to put them down in front of other staff, but I really wanted to ask them why they had never been as upset about debatably racist words before. Obviously the inference was going to be that Omar's race and gender were playing a huge part in why they were so angry and animated about it.

He was also very angry that the democrats 'didn't just condemn anti-Semitism' and I pointed out that the GOP had sort of forced the islamophobia portion by being Islamophobic to Omar while this controversy was happening, kind of making it impossible for the Dems to turn a complete blind eye to the blatant islamophobia and just criticize anti Semitism. Because they'd have been rightly slammed for only condemning ONE of those, and there was no question that islamophobia had been directed at Omar.

But there was no talking him down.

I lived in Longsight in Greater Manchester in the UK for about four years. I miss it dearly. I always visit when I got back to the UK. There, I would see women wearing hijabs almost every time I left the house. They were my neighbors. When I see someone who looks like Omar, it actually makes me think of a home I still miss.

I understand why someone who has grown up in Massachusetts would jump to other conclusions. It's still not defensible though.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She probably can relate somewhat when a lot of folks rushed to throw her under the bus as a "sexist" for calling Ivanka the c-word.

I don't like using that word myself as a dude but the reaction towards her using it from some of the left was a bit too "we got to be polite!"

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I can kind of see what you mean, but I don't think it's an issue - and she's "mean-spirited" in a very similar way to both Colbert and Oliver, and I'm glad to have all three on shows doing their thing.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can kind of see what you mean, but I don't think it's an issue - and she's "mean-spirited" in a very similar way to both Colbert and Oliver, and I'm glad to have all three on shows doing their thing.
Yea, I don't watch any of them. I watched the daily show regularly during Kilborn, but lost interest once Stewart took over. I liked him in Smoochie and Big Daddie, but didn't care for his style on TDS.. I enjoyed the theme by TMBG. I'm happy his show birthed Steve Carrell though.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah she's great, I definitely should make more of an effort to watch her stuff. It's detail oriented like Oliver's show but way funnier.

This whole Omar situation is so fucked up and really shows how problematic America's relationship with Israel is.

Last edited:

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A friend of mine works for the show and says that it's a really great environment to work in, and I think it shows in the quality of the content.

I'm glad at least one of the hosts is talking about this.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always said this, but she is far and away the best political comedy host out of the current crop and it's not even close. Then Seth Myers. Then John Oliver.
A friend of mine works for the show and says that it's a really great environment to work in, and I think it shows in the quality of the content.

I'm glad at least one of the hosts is talking about this.
That's great to hear, pleasant work environments in entertainment are a rarity.