Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty straight forward thread. The game is climbing the top sellers list on Steam due to a couple popular streamers playing. It's a rogue lite deckbuilder and it's all kinds of great. Don't let early access put you off, its got plenty of content.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
My roommate has been playing the hell out of this game. Not personally interested but apparently it's very good.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of Dominion. Seeing one of the reviews refer to this as a Dominion rogue-like immediately piqued my interest.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
As a huge Dominion fan, I love the concept, but the RNG can really screw you over. In Dominion, getting a bad draw doesn't end your game and just makes your current turn less enjoyable; in Slay the Spire, getting a bad draw can literally end your run. That sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
I've already got a hundred hours in it. Very tough, very fun. New content being added weekly. Open Beta path that's updated even more often.

I've only encountered 1 or 2 bugs in the beta. Art style took a bit of getting used to, but they have been improving, and I find myself,liking it a fair amount now.

Oct 27, 2017
That trailer makes it look pretty repetitive and lackluster, honestly.

Yeah, it seems like that at first. Lay the relics on top of a fairly diverse set of cards, and factor in that you are only choosing 1 card out of an offering of 3 randoms after each fight (rather than just building the same deck), it ends up feeling pretty fresh. Then every card has an upgraded version.

Very mechanics driven game.

Zhadgon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me for some reason in Baten Kaitos, how I miss that series.

.n_n.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something about using actual physical "cards" in a videogame rubs me the wrong way. Like they're a convenient representation of 'stackable' or malleable objects with multiple variables within... but do we really need physical cards? Why not use something more interesting and less blatantly boardgamey?

Just a stylistic note anyway, looks great in general.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Something about using actual physical "cards" in a videogame rubs me the wrong way. Like they're a convenient representation of 'stackable' or malleable objects with multiple variables within... but do we really need physical cards? Why not use something more interesting and less blatantly boardgamey?

That's a weird ass hangup man.

Oct 27, 2017

Does that bug you about hearthstone too? It's a card game.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
This game reminds me a lot of Monster Slayers. It seems to be much better balanced and offers more ways to build your deck though.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, that is exactly what we need. It's not like there are a ton of these kind of games.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird ass hangup man.

It's more of a bugbear. Doesn't change at all how undoubtedly solid this (and similar) games is(/ar).

Does that bug you about hearthstone too? It's a card game.

Sort of? The only context I can think of it being OK in is Witcher 3 or other similar RPGs where the card game is contextualised in-universe as a card game.

Otherwise it's just a fourth-wall breaking way of representing units/powers/items in-game. Makes sense from a cost-saving POV but surely there's a more interesting way.

As said above, it's just a bugbear. The game looks great.

Yes, that is exactly what we need. It's not like there are a ton of these kind of games.

... Aren't there?

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing it all day! Its really fun. Finally beat the final boss with a sick Metallisize build.

kbtgf3F.jpg

I have the opposite attitude, whenever I see cards I immediately become interested lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing it all day! Its really fun. Finally beat the final boss with a sick Metallisize build.

kbtgf3F.jpg

I have the opposite attitude, whenever I see cards I immediately become interested lol.

Me too. Its because it doesn't risk obfuscating the mechanics. They are laid out very clearly. In StS even moreso, as you can always see what the enemy is going to do on their next turn.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me too. Its because it doesn't risk obfuscating the mechanics. They are laid out very clearly. In StS even mores, as you can always see what the enemy us going to do on their next turn.

Yeah I LOVE the Intent mechanic. I wouldn't enjoy this game at all if you couldn't see and plan around enemy actions. I avoid that one relic that removes Intent like the plague.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I LOVE the Intent mechanic. I wouldn't enjoy this game at all if you couldn't see and plan around enemy actions. I avoid that one relic that removes Intent like the plague.

Yeah, I haven't had a successful run with that relic yet. I could only see it working on deck where you can close to infinite combo reliably.

I have one achievent left, killing a boss on the first turn. Havent gotten veey close. I get sucked into picking cards too often when i shouldnt!

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I haven't had a successful run with that relic yet. I could only see it working on deck where you can close to infinite combo reliably.

I have one achievent left, killing a boss on the first turn. Havent gotten veey close. I get sucked into picking cards too often when i shouldnt!

I think you can snag that if you get the whale buff of "1 HP enemies for the next three combats" and then you have to have a lucky path to an elite. .

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Yeah, it seems like that at first. Lay the relics on top of a fairly diverse set of cards, and factor in that you are only choosing 1 card out of an offering of 3 randoms after each fight (rather than just building the same deck), it ends up feeling pretty fresh. Then every card has an upgraded version.

Very mechanics driven game.

I see. Artistically, though, it appears very static. But I do remember getting hooked on a few mobile games here and there over the years that, graphically, didn't have a lot going on but were engaging enough in terms of gameplay.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, picked it up this weekend and already put in 17 hours in it. Beat it as both classes so far, now I'm doing the rest of the unlocks and trying to force builds. Favorite build so far was an OP poison build with corpse explosion.

Not sure if you're serious, but no this game isn't like most card games. It has cards, but it's nothing like Hearthstone and more like the board game Dominion but as an RPG roguelike.

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Not a big fan of most deckbuilder games, but really enjoy me some rogue lites. At the very least I'm going to have to check out some streams of this.

Oct 27, 2017
I see. Artistically, though, it appears very static. But I do remember getting hooked on a few mobile games here and there over the years that, graphically, didn't have a lot going on but were engaging enough in terms of gameplay.

Yeah 100%. The heroes don't even have attack animations! I assume they'll keep adding on this front, but I don't even notice anymore.

What's your favorite card?

The king imo:

iqCPUHC.png

Heh. Nightmare has gotta be my fave. Add 3 copies of a card to your hand next turn. Apotheosis was pretty broken, it has been needed recently though (on the beta branch at least)

Never tried it myself, I just assumed it should work. Doesn't say anything about excluding Elites.
I'll try it out. Never thought of them as bosses, I guess?

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Haha. To each their own!

Not sure if you're serious, but no this game isn't like most card games. It has cards, but it's nothing like Hearthstone and more like the board game Dominion but as an RPG roguelike.
Oh I absolutely get that and this game's USP. I mean even as an interface system it rubs me the wrong way. Stylistically this is like, what, turnbased fantasy combat? But instead of selecting moves/unlocked abilities, you select 'cards'... it's literally just the stylistic choice of having tabletop game elements in a videogame that I'm pointing out, that bugs me.

People are getting really defensive about it; i'm not knocking the game for this, just saying it's something that irks me in a minor way.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, there are a few deckbuilding roguelite games like Slay the Spire, but only a very few. Most deckbuilding video games just seem to be digital versions of physical games like Ascension or Star Realms.

Haha. To each their own!

Oh I absolutely get that and this game's USP. I mean even as an interface system it rubs me the wrong way. Stylistically this is like, what, turnbased fantasy combat? But instead of selecting moves/unlocked abilities, you select 'cards'... it's literally just the stylistic choice of having tabletop game elements in a videogame that I'm pointing out, that bugs me.

People are getting really defensive about it; i'm not knocking the game for this, just saying it's something that irks me in a minor way.
Stylistically, it's a card game with some choose your own adventure mechanics. The game doesn't pretend to be anything else.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Haha. To each their own!

This is something some of us wants. Having a digital boardgame is awesome. It's not like I can get a physical card based rogue lite board game for 15 euro and get regular free updates with new cards etc.

Last edited:

Drain You

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Was pretty bored tonight and decided to try this out even though I was on the fence about it. Pretty fun little game and just as I had hope its not much of a typical deck builder game. Def feels more like a rogue lite in my opinion. Enjoying it so far and I'm sure it will only get more fleshed out as its in development longer. Would def recommend at least checking it out if you are into either of the two genres. Nice game to play while watching TV or whatever too since there is not urgency in the gameplay if that makes sense.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is something some of us wants. Having a digital boardgame is awesome.
Yeah i get that, mainly if it's an adaption of an already existing boardgame... But if it's a unique digital only videogame... Why use cards? Which are an IRL necessity, not a digital one. Like Civilisation is basically a digital boardgame but it doesn't use cards to represent units etc.

The answer is it's an intuitive and clear way to represent resources. Still just rubs me the wrong way

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i get that, mainly if it's an adaption of an already existing boardgame... But if it's a unique digital only videogame... Why use cards? Which are an IRL necessity, not a digital one. Like Civilisation is basically a digital boardgame but it doesn't use cards to represent units etc.

The answer is it's an intuitive and clear way to represent resources. Still just rubs me the wrong way
So basically you just want random text based options rather than random cards. That would make even less sense in this case.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
really not liking the silent :/
imo the starting relic should be changed to give +1 energy on the 1st round instead of +2 cards in the 1st round

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
Game looks great, also seemed a bit too easy to break based on the steams I've seen if you're experienced with deck builders. Will wait for full release I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
really not liking the silent :/
imo the starting relic should be changed to give +1 energy on the 1st round instead of +2 cards in the 1st round

Or at least card draw (1 or 2) every turn
I fairly often trade his starting relic in when Neow let's me.

I definitely find ironclad easier.

Game looks great, also seemed a bit too easy to break based on the steams I've seen if you're experienced with deck builders. Will wait for full release I guess.

Oh really? I'm not at all experienced with deck builders....got any links off hand? I'd like to see this game broke!

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like this would be an awesome game to play on mobile.

Will definitely check it out once it's released.

Deleted member 2595

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So basically you just want random text based options rather than random cards. That would make even less sense in this case.
What? Have some imagination. There are countless graphical ways you could do it that aren't cards. Orbs with properties, having the actual creature/beast attack at the bottom of the screen, simply using non-card tiles just like in an MMO e.g. Guildwars.